MSN Argh!

Started by Oniya, May 18, 2010, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

So, last night, I upgraded my MSN software, since the old version started crashing.  Unfortunately, I managed to mistakenly check the 'Sign me on automatically' box.  You'd think that there would be some place for me to unselect this option, but the program appears to launch transparently, with no front end that I can find.  My old version shows up in my taskbar, but indicates that I'm not signed in.  I wasn't even aware I was logged in until someone messaged me.

Anyone have any ideas?  I really don't like to stay logged in, as I am randomly away from my machine.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HockeyGod

Quote from: Oniya on May 18, 2010, 12:38:49 PM
So, last night, I upgraded my MSN software, since the old version started crashing.  Unfortunately, I managed to mistakenly check the 'Sign me on automatically' box.  You'd think that there would be some place for me to unselect this option, but the program appears to launch transparently, with no front end that I can find.  My old version shows up in my taskbar, but indicates that I'm not signed in.  I wasn't even aware I was logged in until someone messaged me.

Anyone have any ideas?  I really don't like to stay logged in, as I am randomly away from my machine.

You should be able to file-logout and then log in again, this time not checking.

Oniya

I'll have to see if that worked.  When I launched my front-end (which was the old front-end - I've never seen a new one), and logged in, it said it had to log me out as I had logged in from another location.  I'm assuming that would be the updated version. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Caeli

You could also try messing with the settings or preferences. I'm not familiar with how MSN is set up, but for most applications you can turn off the function that logs you in automatically when Windows starts up through the application settings.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

The thing that made it difficult in this case is that there was no window for the 'front-end' of the program (such as where you see who is online, etc.)  With previous versions, it would pop up that list, as well as a little news window from MSN.  The first and only clue I had that I was logged in this morning was seeing a pop-up that someone else had logged in.  I even went as far down as my task list (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and only found the IM window listed as an active part of MSN.

Caeli

Have you tried right-clicking on the taskbar button? That will sometimes offer the option of going straight to preferences, or of showing your front-end menu / buddy list.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

I'll double-check that when I reboot, assuming that Alxnjsh's suggestion doesn't fix it.