Blind Pairing Idea

Started by Yoda, November 05, 2018, 07:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoda

So, I had this idea, but I am unsure if it would work and am pretty bad at putting things together, so it might just be an awful idea that just works in my head. Also, I am not sure if this is the right place or if it has already been tried, so sorry in advance if I am wasting time. Anyway, onto my idea.

My idea is kind of like a blind date, but for finding a partner to write with. How it works is people would submit their names and then once enough people have submitted their interest, they would be randomly paired up with another writer. This would definitely not be for everyone, as you would have to be willing to adapt and work with another person that you randomly got paired with to see if you can’t work something out together. Obviously, there would also be a few hiccups with this idea, but I think it would help people like me who can be a little hesitant about sending that PM a way to find new writing partners that we might not have had the pleasure of writing with yet.

Again, I am not the best at this, so this could just be a really bad idea, but I thought I might as well throw it out there and see what others might think.
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Blythe

We had something like this a while back--was a project run by the Mentors. It was a good project, but it can be very difficult & time-consuming to run because it's hard to take into account everyone's specific Ons, Offs, and anyone they already know they don't want to write with in advance. Matching is a fairly tricky thing.

This isn't to say that something like this might not be attempted again later, just that it's not currently in the stars right now for various reasons.

Overall, though, the best matches when it comes to writing and roleplay tend to come from someone being able to discern and select their co-writers themselves.

Sara Nilsson

I can see it work best for really short stories. Like. 10 posts each to get a story out (picking a number out of my behind). Perhaps with a theme for the month or something. So more like a fun game than "serious" writing.

Yoda

Quote from: Blythe on November 05, 2018, 08:11:29 PM
We had something like this a while back--was a project run by the Mentors. It was a good project, but it can be very difficult & time-consuming to run because it's hard to take into account everyone's specific Ons, Offs, and anyone they already know they don't want to write with in advance. Matching is a fairly tricky thing.

This isn't to say that something like this might not be attempted again later, just that it's not currently in the stars right now for various reasons.

Overall, though, the best matches when it comes to writing and roleplay tend to come from someone being able to discern and select their co-writers themselves.

These are the hiccups I was thinking about. I wasn't thinking that you would actually go into detail studying peoples on/offs, instead this would just be done between partners. This would of course would probably only be enjoyable for writes who like trying new things.

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 05, 2018, 08:20:50 PM
I can see it work best for really short stories. Like. 10 posts each to get a story out (picking a number out of my behind). Perhaps with a theme for the month or something. So more like a fun game than "serious" writing.

Oh, I like the idea about short stories. Maybe there could be a goal to make it a set number of posts, but if your having fun you can continue if not, well you met a new person and learned a little bit more about what you like/ don't like.
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

RedPhoenix

With a short post limit it's more of a writing challenge than a story which I think could make it fun.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Flower

Hey! We're doing a sort of blind pairing event in our mentor guided group game. No worries. All scenes will be 1v1 interactions. Feel free to take a peek and see if this scratches your craving.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=296259.0