What rpgs do you play face to face?

Started by Caehlim, September 17, 2008, 09:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caehlim

For those of you who play tabletop RPGS (or LARPS I suppose) when you're not on the internet, what do you play?

I play a game that once was D&D but has received so many rules transfusions from other genres that D&D wouldn't pass a paternity test anymore from its genes. The game is set in a world with both magic and technology though different areas tend to favour one more strongly than the other. It's allowed a lot of interesting options, like going from playing magical secret agents in a 1920s type environment to fighting dragons to save a medieval style village.

I run a freeform game without rules or dice set in the world of Supernatural (the TV show) but focussing on a different group of hunters dealing with different challenges. We're supposed to be playing it now but one of the players is late and we're waiting for him.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Lilias

Old WoD stuff, and strictly tabletop. I don't seem to enjoy LARPing as much.

A couple of my oldest online characters started through a MtA game, back in January 2001. If the chronicle still kept going, she would have grown fearsome by now.

Mage is by far my favourite. I've done my share of Vampire and Werewolf as well (anyone want to go on an adventure with a Bastet?) I love the Dark Ages and Victorian Ages spinoffs, as well as Wraith and Changeling, but I haven't had the chance to actually roll dice for the last two. I've been trying to finish a draft for a Wraith chronicle to ST for the last year or so.

My dabbling has included classic D&D and AD&D, CoC, Ravenloft and L5R. And I love collecting game manuals - WoD and Ravenloft read like so much fiction!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Overlord

USED to do D&D, Battletech, and a few odds & ends like Close Action and Bloodbowl, etc. all in full miniatures play. Favorite D&D includes Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and some Greyhawk (yes I'm old school, sue me  :P

Used to, as in the people I used to tabletop with are either out of state now or fell away from it. Now I'm all desktop, which has included-

Gaming on E and RPOL.

Mechwarrior series, Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter Nights.

MMORPG; EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and City of Heroes.

Aiden

I thought a larp was when you actually do the dress up and stuff like that....Me and my friends in high school used to do that, it was not very story based it was a bunch of kids beating the crap out of one another with wooden Katana's/kendo/escrima sticks and bo staffs. (We went to a martial arts supply store and bought nearly all the practice weapons, we had pads...but it was boring.)

Result many many bruises and bloody knuckles!

I have not played a table top in a good amount of time now, I kind of miss it but DnD went down the drain as our group of friends starting getting married/having possessive girlfriends.... *sigh*

Laeori

Pfft teach them to play!  That's what I tell my gaming buddies.  You know your girl.. what intrests her find it and get her hooked damn it!

*snickers*

OR if that doesn't work, make it all sensitive like...*cackles*  "Honey, this really meant a lot to me. It was such a big part of who I was, and in many ways who I am.  I want to share it with you.  Help you understand me better and bring us closer.  Please, play with me?

As for me grew up in old world AD&D played a -teeny- bit of VtM mostly cause the GM left and everyone else was still learning so it failed.
I haven't played any others mainly because I can never find a group, though I would -love- to learn the different worlds and systems.  They all seem so intresting in their own ways.

Aiden

We have tried...Ohh god we have tried. No disrespect to any female...but my buddies Gf/wives could not have an interesting thought/conversation if their lives depended on it.
(And I am not only talking about gaming/Rpgs and such)

It is also their attitude, they have a "That's stupid" attitude for anything we do. It has actually caused some of our friendships to deteriorate because we always have to do what they want to do....and I am not friends with THEIR wives/gf's I am friends with my buddies.

I can go into a rant about this (especially since I had to put up with that bullshit last night) but I won't
(The again I think I am in the perfect relationship..so my ideas/thoughts on what is ideal might be jaded/bias)

Oniya

I actually met my husband through gaming (table-top and LARP) We became friends when I joined a D&D game he was running (ah, the stories I could tell), and he first tried to seduce me after we went to a LARP as Morticia and Gomez Addams.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Same here - twice. I met my ex boyfriend at the beginning of that Mage campaign. Then I initiated my current husband to the WoD, and the rest is history.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Canuckian

I like to play Rifts, Robotech, some D&D 3.5 and Star Wars.  I'm not much into tabletop mini's though, and that's the route that most games seem to be taking.

Revolverman

I play DnD 3.5 and GURPS, and I like GURPS more

Oniya

Quote from: HeretiKat on September 17, 2008, 09:47:32 PM
I never liked D&D.  I liked the Forgotten Realms setting, but the rulesets never appealed to me.

That's where house rules come in.  We used the 2nd ed books as a framework, since most of us couldn't be bothered to buy a whole new set when 3rd came out, but if a rule stopped working, we bodged it into something that would.

Case in point:  One of our GMs discovered that people were looking at a heavy crossbow, calculating max damage, and saying "I can take that - I charge."  A normal person, even in plate and in excellent health, is going to look at the business end of a heavy crossbow and consider other options that don't involve getting hit.  Our GM rewrote how damage worked so that a player (or NPC) could get that 'lucky shot' and do more than max damage.

It made you think before acting.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

It's important to remember the style of game you're playing. Lately I've been partial to Legend of the Five Rings and Exalted, though the latter gets insanely complex when you get to the really fun stuff.

Hunter

Nothing anymore but I'll always have a soft spot for Shadowrun.

HairyHeretic

At present I'm playing in a GURPS and Star Wars Saga Edition games. I am hoping to get started with a Dark Heresy game next week. And I'll probably be starting to run my Legend of the Five Rings game again soon.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DarkestStryke

Ok.. my big listings here

Larp
Vampire - Old WoD
Vampire - New WoD
Changling
Werefolf
Highlander
Skullduggery

Tabletop
*takes a deep breath*
D&D 2nd Ed
D&D 3rd Ed
Call of Cthulu
Gurps
Big Eyes Small Mouth and its many spin offs, including Tenchi, Sailor Moon, and the Pokemon style one whose name eludes me for the moment
Seventh Sea
Gurps
Pendragon
The Whispering Vault
Legend of the Five Rings
Deadlands
Vampire - Old WoD
Vampire - New WoD
Mage
Changeling
Werewolf
Wraith
Stargate
Starwars
Shadowrun
Cyberpunk
Buffy
Angel
Paranoia
Judge Dread
Exalted
Rifts
Middle Earth Roleplay

And thats the ones I can remember at this early time of the morning.

What I still play. Nothing.. unfortunately my old group, who are to blame from the above list broke up and I haven't been able to find another group to join, or anyone else in the area to make up a group.. but still looking

Oniya

*does happy Google-fu dance*

There's a local Vampire LARP that runs using the Laws of the Night 3rd edition - which is annoyingly out of print, recalled, and unsupported by the publisher, so they have two beaten-up copies for everyone to create characters from on site.  And it's a high turnover game.

I found a digital copy online last night.   ;D

Lilias

For oWoDers who want out of print material:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/

Your best friend ;D
~Wendell Berry

Bayushi

I haven't tabletop RP'd in a couple years, sadly. :(

But, I've played a lot of RPG's in my time. I started playing in 1984, when some guys who were present to watch the Olympics at a mini Olympics party decided to start playing.... they were shipmates with my father(who's (now-retired) US Navy).

So...... the list:
  • D&D First Edition
  • AD&D Second/Revised
  • D&D Third Edition/Revised
  • Alternity
  • Mechwarrior
  • Champions
  • Shadowrun
  • Cyberpunk
  • Call of Cthulu
  • Legend of the Five Rings
  • Vampire: The Masquerade
  • Star Wars(West End Games)
  • Star Wars (d20)
  • Star Trek(Last Unicorn Games)

as well as an unpublished game my roommate/RL friend created, which is based off of his unpublished novel series.

Non Tabletop, I've played....

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Wars
  • Sociolotron( ;) )
  • various Star Trek Play By Email and Play By Board RPG's.
...etc

The Overlord

Quote from: Akiko on September 20, 2008, 03:35:07 PM

Non Tabletop, I've played....

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Wars
  • Sociolotron( ;) )
  • various Star Trek Play By Email and Play By Board RPG's.
...etc

Have been tempted for some time to try Sociolotron, but at this point having a Sony Station pass and started City of Heroes this month, I've got MMO up the wazoo... I guess for now hapless heroines in skimpy outfits will have to do me.  :D

What is your honest critique on the game?

HairyHeretic

You playing CoH on US or European servers? If its Euro I can throw you some inf to get you started, and steer you towards a couple of good groups.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

I’m on Pinnacle; based on the (relative lack of) night activity, I’ll assume it’s a US server.

Bayushi

Quote from: The Overlord on September 21, 2008, 07:40:58 PMWhat is your honest critique on the game?

Well, to start off with.....

The graphics are terrible. The UI is atrocious. The sex is fun.... sometimes.

Overall, it's not worth paying for, in my opinion, unless you can make friends in-game. When you do, it gets fun.

I had a few friends over the two months I played it... but they either lost interest in the game, or weren't able to keep playing for RL reasons.

So I quit. In the end, it'd be a fun free-MMO, but the Pay to Play has to go for it to be worth the time/money.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: The Overlord on September 21, 2008, 08:29:08 PM
I’m on Pinnacle; based on the (relative lack of) night activity, I’ll assume it’s a US server.

Must be, as I don't recognise the name. Its a fun game though. I've been playing it over 3 years now.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 22, 2008, 02:43:09 AM
Must be, as I don't recognise the name. Its a fun game though. I've been playing it over 3 years now.

I'm assuming CoH meant City of Heroes? We should be seeing the same server list.  :-\