Age of Skysail: Fate Core Group Game

Started by chaoslord29, January 02, 2014, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

As long as our Crossing Paths establishes us with solid enough relationships that we'd trust each other to help steal a ship, I'm all for it..

SGTDan

Quote from: chaoslord29 on January 07, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
@All
Currently up for discussion:

• Stealing a ship of your own for the first Scenario & Scene
  • Having the campaign set (initially) in Southeast Asia: Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, New Guinea, Australia, Thailand, etc.

Stealing a ship? I suppose if you want me to work for me ship I can do that. I was thinking Battle would have one set up for him when he got to wherever he's going. I do get this funny image of the contact leading him to the dock where his ship is moored to find it gone.

As for location, I images of palm trees and toucans dancing in my head. If the rest of the party wants Aisa I'll go along with it.

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

mai

We also don't necessarily have to stay in one place the whole time, there's plenty of room for us to piss off a colonial governor or something and end up having to get the heck out of the West Indies, or something

chaoslord29

Quote from: mai on January 07, 2014, 11:56:33 AM
I'm a little worried about that, actually, since my conception of Li Yan wasn't so much that she had "conflicted" loyalties as that she had "clear loyalties that aren't to the rest of the party", so if they ever find themselves set against the Ming emperor, that would be a place where I'd feel obligated to play her against the rest of the party, which isn't something I especially like to do in group games. Maybe we can change things such that most of the Emperor's attention is focused on the rebellions in the north and also at claiming large Cavorite deposits in Siberia and Manchuria, leaving the southeast more vulnerable to be fought over by regional powers and Western colonists?
If that's your biggest concern, I can address it during play in such a way that it won't wholly split loyalties and cause the game to devolve into a PvP conflict. Trust me, as a GM I've had more than a little experience unifying diverse agendas and causes.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 07, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
As long as our Crossing Paths establishes us with solid enough relationships that we'd trust each other to help steal a ship, I'm all for it..
The purpose of crossing paths is to establish just such a rapport, or at the very least make sure that there's someone else in the party who will vouch for anyone else you might not otherwise trust. What's more, I'll be establishing a mutual contact for you all, somewhat enigmatic but with a reputation as being trusted by multiple governments and factions as a 'fixer'. He'll be providing you with the opportunity to initially steal the ship and serve thereafter as someone you can call on or might come to you if you're ever at a loss for jobs or info.

Very true also that we don't have to stay in one place, and the best part about Advancement in Fate is that it's derived at least partially through the acquisition of new Aspects, related to the adventures you have participated in. So wherever you wind up, you'll be able to develop new Aspects to suit your needs.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

mai

Quote from: chaoslord29 on January 07, 2014, 03:30:33 PM
If that's your biggest concern, I can address it during play in such a way that it won't wholly split loyalties and cause the game to devolve into a PvP conflict. Trust me, as a GM I've had more than a little experience unifying diverse agendas and causes.
That's great then, I'll trust you.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well was mainly holding out on filling in the last two aspects so that I could tie that part with someone else.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 07, 2014, 03:33:59 PM
Well was mainly holding out on filling in the last two aspects so that I could tie that part with someone else.
You can still do that, but just know there's a part of character creation devoted to that specifically. Also I still need to see the actual content of your background and first adventure. Just a couple of sentences each will do.

Edit: Strike that, didn't realize you'd already updated the content.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

SGTDan

So here is my ship idea, I thought I would show off my hard work. I changed a little CL, just added water tanks for the cavorite and made the pumps function as filling rather then damage control.

Bonnie Lass

Armament:
12x 12 Pound Cannons
2x Nine Pound Chasers

Boats:
2x 32' cutters with a 25' quarterboat and 28' gig carried atop them.

Crew:
Sailors: 135
Marines: 25

Detailed disposition

Sailors
Captain 1
Lieutenants 2
Warrant Officers 6
-Sailing Master
-Purser
-Surgeon
-Carpenter
-Gunner
-Boatswain
Midshipmen & Mates 6
1st Class Petty Officers 14
-Master at Arms
-Carpenter's mate
-Caulkers
-Ropemakers
-Armorer
2nd Class Petty Officers 12
-Yeoman of the Sheets
-Coxswain
-Quartermasters
-Armorer's mate
-Gunner's mate
-Yeoman of the Powder Room
- Boatwain's mate
- Sailmaker
-Caulker's mate
-Master at Arm's corporal
-Cook
-Cooper
Other Rates 90 (30 on each 3 watches)
Boys 3
Widows’ Men 1

Marines:
Officers 1
Sergeants 1
Corporals  2
Enlisted 21

Total Complement: 160

Flags:
This is the flag Battle had made for his ship, sails from the masthead
British Ensign from the ensign staff
Decks:

Quarterdeck and Foredeck
Quarterdeck and Forecastle Details

Forecastle: A short deck in the fore-part of the ship, above the upper deck.

Cathead:  A short timber projecting out from the bow, used for hoisting the anchor.  The ends were frequently decorated with carved or cast lions' heads.

Boomkin or Bumkin or Bumpkin:  A short boom projecting from the bow, used to extend the lower corner of the foresail to windward.

Head: That area alongside the bowsprit used for the seamen's lavatory. Pipes lead to a tank along the keel, dumped when over the sea.

9-pound Chaser: The bow-chasers were selected for accuracy and were situated to fire directly ahead while chasing an enemy vessel. Installed after she was brought from being mothballed to help her catch fleeing merchants.

32-pound Carronade: In the Bonnie Lass's time in the merchant navy, all her 32 pound carronades were removed to save on weight and allow for more cargo.

Chains or Channels: There were three pairs of such chains, one pair associated with each mast.

Foremast: The most forward of the three masts.

Galley Stove Cowl: The chimney of the galley stove located on the upper deck penetrated up through the forecastle.  The top was protected from wind and water by a metal cowl.

Belfrey: The bell located on the forecastle was the regulator of the ship's routine.  It was struck every half-hour, one bell marking one half-hour into the watch, two bells an hour, three bells an hour-and-a-half, and so forth.  Eight bells marks the end of a four-hour watch.

Gangways: The walkways connecting the quarterdeck to the forecastle.

Skid-Beams: Lateral beams crossing the open space between the gangways.  Used for the storage of boats (when not being towed behind the ship) and of booms.

Main Hatch:  A hatch is the cover over a hatchway, and the main hatchway was the stack of deck openings in the middle of the ship, allowing direct access to the hold for loading heavy stores and barrels.

Accommodation-ladder: Steps up the side of the ship from the waterline to the gangway.  The starboard accommodation-ladder was used for formal occasions, the starboard ladder when no ceremony was desired.

Mainmast: The center, and tallest, of the ship's three masts. When she was acquired by the merchant navy they installed a larger main mast then would be on a ship of her size. This larger main mast makes the Bonnie Lass have a unique silhouette. 

Capstan: A cylindrical rotating mechanism mounted vertically so that a cable may be wound around its barrel, principally used in weighing anchor.  The Bonnie Lass's capstan is double-height so that crew members on both the quarterdeck and upper deck could push on the capstan-bars to apply force.

Binnacle: A case which contains a compass and a light, so the compass may be seen at night.

Wheel: The device with barrel and spokes, attached by ropes to the tiller and rudder, so that the ship may be steered.  Also known as the "helm"

Stern Lantern: A pair of lanterns were hung from the stern.  They were useful in convoying vessels so that the ship could be seen and followed at night.

Quarterdeck: The uppermost deck, behind the mainmast.  Usually, the sailing of the ship is controlled by officers here.  The quarterdeck was reserved for the use of officers and guests, with the windward portion of the quarterdeck for the exclusive use of the captain when he was present.

Mizzenmast: The aftmost and smallest of the three masts of the ship.

Upperdeck
Upper Deck Description
Manger: A small area at the bow used to prevent water entering through the hawse-holes from washing back along the deck.  This space is also used to keep animals.

Bitts: An oak frame to which to secure the cables when at anchor.

Foremast: The forwardmost of the three masts.

Galley Stove: The kitchen of the ship, where the main stove for cooking victuals sat.

Main Hatch: A hatch is the cover over a hatchway, and the main hatchway was the stack of deck openings in the middle of the ship, allowing direct access to the hold for loading heavy stores and barrels.

12-pounder Guns: The main battery of the Bonnie Lass consisted of long cannons firing a 12-pound ball. Only twelve remain from her original twenty two compliment, they are centered in the middle of the ship. The extra space is often used for more cargo or extra passengers depending whats needed.

Mainmast: The center and tallest of the three masts.

Pumps: There were numerous pumps aboard the ship, but the largest ones were clustered about the mainmast where they ran down to the bottom of the hold. One set pumps water into the water tanks and the other set pumps water across the cavorite plates in battle to regulate height.

Capstan: A cylindrical rotating mechanism mounted vertically so that a cable may be wound around its barrel, principally used in weighing anchor. The Bonnie Lass's capstan is double-height so that crew members on both the quarterdeck and upper deck could push on the capstan-bars to apply force.

Coach: A cabin just in front of the Great Cabin.  It could be used for the captain's dining when alone or with only a guest or two.

Captain's Bed Place: The captain's sleeping quarters.

Great Cabin: The captain's main cabin.  If an important guest was being carried aboard, the captain would usually relinquish use of the great cabin to the visitor for the duration of the voyage.

Quarter-Gallery: A small closed-in balcony serving as the captain's privy.  Also useful for keeping things.

Rudderhead Cover: The head of the ship's rudder ended in the great cabin, and it was usually enclosed with a decorative cover to preserve the compartment's appearance.

Mizzenmast:The aftmost and smallest of the three masts.

Lower Deck
Lower Deck Descriptions

Gunroom/Wardrooms: Here the junior officers eat and sleep, also used for the higher class passengers.
-Political Adviser Cabin: "Lia" Li Yan
-Gunner Cabin: Aldritch Griffin
-Marine Officer Cabin: Lieutenant Catrina Donalda Fraser

Sick-Bay: The sick-bay was where the surgeon and his assistants looked after the sick and hurt.  The loblolly boy was the regular attendant.

Dispensary: The surgeon's office where he would examine crew reporting sick.

Foremast: The mast closest to the bow.

Crew Berth Deck: In this large open area the crew would sleep in their hammocks, with Marines closest to the officers' quarters and petty officers in the outboard positions.

Main Hatch: A hatch is the cover over a hatchway, and the main hatchway was the stack of deck openings in the middle of the ship, allowing direct access to the hold for loading heavy stores and barrels.

Pump Room: Through this space about the mainmast pass the principal pumps to draw water from the sea.

Mainmast: The middle and tallest of the three masts.

Captain's and Officers' Pantries: The captain had a separate pantry from that of the officers of the gunroom. In these compartments were kept the dishes and other tableware used in the formal dinners frequently given.

Scuttle: Any opening in the deck or hull to provide access was termed a scuttle, but this scuttle in the gunroom was of particular importance, as it opened down to the ladder to the magazine.

Mizzenmast: The hindmost of the three masts.

House of Ease: As a frigate, the Bonnie Lass was too small to have an actual quarter-gallery to serve as the officers' privy.

Bread Bins: In these compartments was kept the "bread" (most usually hardtack) for the officers.

Orlop Deck
Orlop Descriptions:

Foremast: The most forward of the ship's three masts.

Bosun's Store Room: The storage area for sail cloth, cordage and associated materials.

Gunner's Store Room: Except for powder and ammunition, the materials needed for maintenance of the ship's armament.

Carpenter's Store Room: Extra timber and nails needed by the carpenter for repairs of the hull, yards and masts.

Sail Room: Storage of sails not in use.

Pitch and Tar Room: Stores of pitch, tar and paint.

Scuttles: These deck openings gave access to the coal storage area below the fore platform.

Orlop: The orlop deck was comprised of the platforms laid directly on the hold beams, generally divided into fore and aft platforms. The orlop was used as an emergency medical station during battle as it lay below the waterline and was thus protected from enemy cannon fire.

Main Hold: Under supervision of the master, ballast was laid down in the bottom of the hold and then bulky stores such as casks of water and barrels of salted beef and pork carefully stacked above.

Shot Lockers: These held the balls fired by the ship's guns and carronades.  Being very heavy, this ammunition was stored low in the center of the ship, adjacent to the mainmast.

Mainmast: The center and tallest of the three masts.

Well: An open area around the base of the mainmast where the main pumps could draw out any accumulated water into the main tanks for wetting the cavorite.

Slop Room: Storage for crew clothing to be issued by the purser.

Steward's Room: The purser's steward kept charge of the ship's provisions stored here.

Officers' Stores: Personal property of the officers other than the captain.

Captain's Stores: Personal property of the captain, including wine and food required for long voyages.

Magazine: The storage area for gunpowder.  No open flames were permitted in this area and slippers worn for fear of a shoenail striking a spark.  There was a second magazine but the merchant navy refitted her to carry more and removed it.

Filling Room: The cartridge bags required for loading the cannons were filled here and then carried up through the scuttle to the gunroom and above.

Light Room: As no flames were allowed in the magazine or filling room, lamps in the light room shone through sealed windows into the filling room.

Passage: This small room was the only access between the magazine/filling room and the rest of the vessel.

Pillar for Mizzenmast:  While the foremast and mainmast were stepped directly on to the ship's keel, the mizzenmast ended one deck higher, so support was provided by a pillar reaching down to the keel.

Bread Room: The crew's "bread" (mostly hardtack) was kept in this tin-lined area to protect it from water and rats.

Coals: Storage for coal used in stoves.

Spirit Room: Storage for rum, wine and other alcohol.

Fish Room: Traditionally used for storage of salted- or stock-fish, also used for other stores, including wine and spirits.

Water tanks: Not pictured but in the main hold are two water tanks that gravity feed the cavorite plates water to keep the Bonnie Lass aloft. They hold enough water for a few days before the Bonnie Lass must set down in water to refill them.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

chaoslord29

That's quite a bit of detail SGTDAn, I trust everyone is as grateful for the extra mile you've gone in trawling through the details of historical nautical warfare to provide us with more context and an immersive feel for the RP.

On the mechanical side, I've determined that we'll be treating the ship as a sort of Character in it's own right, with it's own Aspects, Stunts, Stress Tracks (for Crew and Hull) and Consequences.

Wanted to check in too, see if anyone/everyone is ready to advance to the Cross Paths stage of character creation?
My Guiding Light-

SGTDan

Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

mai

TheGlyphstone

chaoslord29

Okay, I just need to hear back from Hairy Heretic or Jefepato (Pumpkin Seeds contacted me via PM).

Now in the FATE Core rules, it calls for players to randomly determine who crosses paths with who, but seeing as it's conducted in two rounds, I'm thinking I'll let you all pick the first round, then I'll pick the second round in order to make sure everyone is well acquainted with everyone else (at least indirectly).

So, if there's someone(s) first adventure you'd like to guest star in, give me your top 3 choices and any you leave blank or don't have a preference for I will determine randomly.
My Guiding Light-

SGTDan

Here are my choices;

1.) Glypthstone
2.) Mai
3.) - (Given there are two other players...at the moment)

Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

TheGlyphstone

Only 2? What happened to Hairy, Jefepato, and Pumpkin Seeds?

SGTDan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 10, 2014, 07:15:35 PM
Only 2? What happened to Hairy, Jefepato, and Pumpkin Seeds?
2 Accepted, correction
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

TheGlyphstone

Then I guess my two picks are

1) Mai
2) Jefepato
3) HairyHeretic

Jefepato

Sorry, I've had an awkward few days and I need to do some reading before I figure this out.  Sorry to hold people up.

You could just put me with someone at actual random if you need to keep things moving.

mai

I don't have any particular preferences.

HairyHeretic

I've been a bit busy is all. Will try and work on character today.

Edit - character draft sent via PM. Waiting to see if it needs any changes before posting here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

chaoslord29

All hands on deck! This is a spot inspection! Who's still on board for this game?
My Guiding Light-

mai

TheGlyphstone

chaoslord29

I need either Pumpkin Seeds or Hairy Heretic to complete the group before we get this moving.
My Guiding Light-

HairyHeretic

I'm still about, refining the character atm.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.