Monopoly board get a makeover

Started by Adam, February 05, 2010, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I love monopoly.  I remember back in the day when my brother and I would get in trouble, be grounded, and just play this game forever.  I don't really feel comfortable with this new design.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108764/monopoly-gets-a-makeover-but-will-die-hard-fans-buy-it??mod=family-home

Oniya

QuoteSo far, the Internet echo chamber's biggest criticism focuses on the new version's tight security. It seems that when it comes to Monopoly, half the fun comes from cheating by stealing from the till when nobody's looking, a loophole the new version closes with its fancy electronic banking.

I laughed.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quoteand clips of popular songs (like Rihanna’s "Umbrella," Daniel Powter’s "Bad Day," and Beyonce's "Crazy in Love") that play after certain actions.

I wasn't crazy about it, but this right here is the clincher.

Quote from: Oniya on February 05, 2010, 01:00:33 PM
I laughed.

Yes! Though I never did that, since I was usually the banker with people stealing from me. :P

Ryven

I like the round design, but everything else such as debit cards and songs playing is just right out.  I want my race car.  I'll thank you to leave my tokens alone.

Oniya

Quote from: Ryven on February 05, 2010, 01:19:48 PM
I like the round design, but everything else such as debit cards and songs playing is just right out.  I want my race car.  I'll thank you to leave my tokens alone.

* Oniya claims the hat - and hides inside it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ryven

I don't know if it was an original piece, but if possible, I always chose the battleship.

Oniya

Also, with the 'popular songs' angle?  How many of these songs are likely to be remembered (much less still be popular) in two-three years?

Trieste

How many of those songs are actually popular now among people who are going to play Monopoly? :P

Oniya

Inkidu

My brother collects the different boards and he has the electronic run one which is actually kind of nice. You can only have a pot though if you're playing with less than eight.

This new one seems irksome. Round, come on plus it doesn't allow for a pot I'm sure.

Because half the freaking fun is landing on free parking and collecting all the luxury and income tax everyone else put in.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Serephino

I don't like the round design.  The electronic banking might be nice, but doesn't another version have that?  I had a hand held game that I used to sit and play for hours.  I wish I knew where it went.

Will

That is just ridiculous. O.o  Those songs aren't even current, if that is indeed what they're shooting for.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Miss Arha

This design is blaspheme.  ???

I will keep my old design Monopoly thank you very much! :D

ChrisF

This is tragic. Seriously? Cards, because people are too lazy to count money? And pop songs?! Worse, mediocre pop songs?!
The circle is... eh. I could live. But the real deal breaker: STAY AWAY FROM MY CAR TOKEN.