Pokemon anyone?

Started by DarkDragonboy, October 16, 2011, 08:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDragonboy

Anyone care to do a pokemon rp with me?

DarkDragonboy

Hello there, I'm just waiting here if anyone sees this and is wondering what I am doing.

Beguile's Mistress

Hi, there.

There is no need to bump you thread and we do have a no-bumping policy.  Be patient.  Anyone who is interested will post.

You might want to be a little more specific about what you are looking for or check out some of the other request threads in this forum.

JackWhite

Specify what you want in a Pokemon RP-game and I might join you.

Capone

I'll second an interest in a potential Pokemon game, though I'd like to know what sort we're talking. Are we going to be in a specific region from the games? Are we going to be in a custom region? Will it have all Pokemon available or only a select set? Will we be playing as trainers (my assumption)? Are there limitations, such as everyone being a rookie, or can you have trainers of varying experiences?

I'm sure others have more questions as well.

JackWhite

That's what I said earlier. He has to specify what he wants.

Capone

Due to the original poster's lack of response since October, do you guys mind if I take over? I'd like to get a non-Adult RP going, and before I started my own interest check for a different idea, I'd see how this one goes.

To answer some of my own questions:

REGION

We'd be playing in a new region. However, considering the nature of the games, which region we are nearby will determine what sets of Pokemon we use. For example, Unova is based on New York City in the U.S. while the other regions are based around smaller islands that surround Japan. This is one of the reasons all of the Pokemon are different from the original set. So before we decide if we're closer to Unova or Kanto, we should determine what sort of Pokemon we want available.

PLAYER CHARACTERS

I think we could be starting with the general premise of beginner trainers, but any type of trainer is open. The game is notorious for having NPC's of hikers, bug catchers, and various other sorts of Pokemon trainers that aren't even looking to become champions. Are you a Bug Catcher that wants to collect all the different types of bug Pokemon? Or perhaps you are a scientist looking to study different kinds? Or maybe you believe your Pokemon could evolve if you could just find the legendary and elusive Moon Stone.

The toughest part of the journey will be in giving all the characters a reason to stick together. It is possible this region happens to be more dangerous than others, where wild Pokemon are more numerous, and as such it's unwise to journey alone. There may not be a lot of interest, however, so we may only have three or four players participating.

POKEMON BATTLES

While the nature of the games is to literally catch them all, I think it would be better if players played it out more like the original TV show, where Ash was one of the worst trainers ever and only caught like five Pokemon.

As for battles, I see no reason we should have a rules set. Allow it to be freeflow, but there is no God mode. Everyone should lose on occasion, and your Pokemon may be injured due to fighting. I am also not against the concept of Pokemon fatalities, as we are grown up enough to face such a thing and treat it with the heavy loss that it would be to the trainer.

I expect common courtesy when playing PvP, and most of all, don't jump in with some elusive, rare and legendary Pokemon that is going to be more powerful than anyone else's. Everyone's Pokemon should be evolving and growing at about the same rate.

GYMNASIUMS

In truth, I haven't liked the elemental/type collection of gyms since the first one, but I think we can put this together as a group. Figure out the eight gym and badge types that will be part of our journey.

THE VILLAIN

We can use a villain organization from the games, or we can create our own.

Once I have a better handle as to who is interested, I will add further details. I'm also willing to accept anyone else's creative input. Do you want to come up with the region's map, the routes and locations we will visit? Do we want to come up with the locations as a group and then make a map? Do we want to create the villain together, or have a player whose role is to play the villains?

I'd like to see if there's further interest, now that there's a bit more detail.

Firefighter8346

Id like to join if you don't mind.
9/11/01-9/11/11
Never Forget
All Gave Some, Some Gave All

Capone

Not at all. I'll wait and see what character concepts other folks cook up before deciding on my own. I'm not sure if I want to be a trainer, or something a bit more outside the box.

LiarKnight

Color me interested. Pardon any weird typos as Im on my Android at the moment.

I am an immense fan of semi-realistic Pokemon stories, most notably the notorious The Sun Soul fic over on FFN, and a couple others like Mentor or Pokemon 0. I would LOVE to get involved in an RP of a similar nature.

I will post more when I get home to a real computer.

Capone

I'm not familiar with any "semi-realistic" stories. I don't plan to break too much from how the games and show play out. I won't shy away from people actually being killed, but I want to stay true to the nature of Pokemon. I don't want to suddenly go Frank Miller grim'n'gritty on it.

Nonetheless, I guess it's time to start doing some more concrete planning then, eh? I'd like to put to a vote which region folks would be more comfortable with in terms of Pokemon. I'm most familiar with the original 150, though the new Black/White 150 are fine with me as well.

JackWhite

I don't even know the new Black & White pokemon. I kinda lost it when they went over 250.

LiarKnight

I think that keeping to relatively older generations of Pokemon would be for the best, with a few allowances for people who might have their hearts set on something newer (who says characters can't import Pokemon from foreign regions anyway?).

With regards to what I meant by 'semi-realistic', I didn't mean that things had to be gritty and dark, but rather have an element of realism when things are discussed. I agree with staying true to Pokemon nature, but understanding that they're also living creatures as well, and not just magically invincible super-animals like the show, as a children's program, portrays them. As an example, a Scizor might be extremely weak to fire because of its insect-like body structure and the metallic composition of its carapace. Easy to heat up, easy to 'cook' on the inside. On the other end of that spectrum, a Charizard that has tough, fire-resistant scales and a naturally high body temperature could be more resistant to extreme heat.

I'm not saying Pokemon have to be biologically feasible (because then what's the fun?), or that things have to be "grimdark". It's just that I find it more immersing when things aren't cut-and-dry "BLASTOISE used HYDRO PUMP! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!" type deals, and that it's easier to be more descriptive when certain elements are somewhat based in reality.

It's only a personal preference, and I'd much rather enjoy a good game than try to force a point that not everybody would even like.

As for a region, it'd be much easier to come up with a basic plotline if we based things in an existing region. On the other hand, a completely new region would require more planning, but could be more rewarding to explore. For an original region/league though, it might be nice if we had a GM to keep track of things, I think.

Capone

I might be able to come up with a map, but I wouldn't mind making it a collaborative effort to put plenty of nifty locations together. That said, I also wouldn't mind a pre-existing region. I played the Hell out of Pokemon Red/Blue on the original GameBoy, and I own SoulSilver and White on the DS. I played Diamond, but not all the way through. I can gain some familiarity with any of those territories.

In fact, this discussion has me wanting to play the games again.

And your concept of semi-realistic is completely fine, then. I've had past roleplays that basically devolved into DragonBall Z meets Sin City, and that gets boring and tiresome awfully fast.

kingmaster1

I love Pokemon and I would love to be a part of this (If it's not too late)

I can cook up a character bio, but I am still fairly new to this and don't really know where to send it or if i just post it here

all I know is I would like to be a trainer and can call up a team pretty easily  ;D (I assume we will all start as beginners and the like so I am prepared for that)

Capone

I'm primarily waiting on seeing what other interest there is, and any other preferences people have. I think I'm going to sketch out a map of my own when I get some free time, labeling locations in the spirit of the previous games. Any input you have towards city themes, what Types the gyms should be, etc., feel free to go ahead and list it out.

kingmaster1

I always loved the phsycic and fighting type gyms, so I think those should be present  ;D