Adrift in Space (Closed to New Players)

Started by kckolbe, October 16, 2013, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RedEve

It does take a bit away from the surprise when those cylon characters have that aspect of their PC right there in the CS. :P
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

kckolbe

I haven't seen it on anyone's sheet.  Who had it?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Silver

Quote from: kckolbe on October 20, 2013, 04:40:39 AM
I haven't seen it on anyone's sheet.  Who had it?

It wouldn't be on the CS, as only the GMs would know.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

RedEve

Chaeronea

Quote from: kckolbe on October 20, 2013, 03:35:05 AM
Flaws can be bought off at a rate of one per chapter with GM approval.

Can Merits be bought at the same rate? Because I saw a bunch of Merits that would suit Sam and I could see him developing, if we go with the notion of him having been out of the military for while. Think of it as re-learning lessons from his past military service.

kckolbe

Merits can be bought in between new chapters as well, either by spending xp or trading in a Destiny Point.  Also, I'd like everyone to welcome Chaeronea's character as the commander of the Civilian Defense Force and Orange Marmalade's as the CAG.

Intro Thread

Scribbles

Would any of the more talented pilots be interested in mentoring Lasara? She's currently fresh out of the academy without a single dogfight to her name.

By the way, how is the ship name coming along?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

RedEve

Can we create some sort of structure or power hierarchy so that we can get a better grasp of how the characters relate to each other?

kckolbe

Between OrangeMarmalade at CAG and HeavenAbove as an instructor, I'm sure someone will want to.  If not, I know someone who will.

As for ship names, here are the ones that have more than one vote. 

Valkyrie: Arkhos, Scribbles, mia h
Odyssey: Arkhos, Scribbles
Vigilant: Kythia, Scribbles

RedEve, the ranks are listed on the second post.  Do you mean a chain of command list for the military folks?  At the moment, because of her job, she wouldn't really be on it.

Intro Thread

Orange Marmalade

The power hierarchy is definitely one of the interesting (and very unclear) things about BSG.

I imagine the military side will be relatively easy top down, and the civilian side will have quasi-easy top down, but once you try to mix... hah!

kckolbe

Military will be the most straightforward, but as with any system, very open to interpretation.  The military rarely employs a "next man up" system, so some organizations may promote the second highest ranking to be in charge.  What makes this particularly interesting is that unlike every fleet in military history, there is no command back planet-side to make those appointments should things go wrong.

Civilian politics will be chaotic as well.  I've already said that the line of succession will have run out before getting to any PC, so even an interim president will have to be elected in a quick election.  Until then, it is likely that the entire fleet will be under martial law (though it doesn't have to be if someone comes up with another answer IC).

Intro Thread

arkhos

The interaction in the show between civilian and military groups was actually one of the things that intrigued me the most about the show.

There were times I thought Roslin should have been pushed out an airlock for some of her ideas, and then there were one or two times I thought she made sense.

To me, when you believe you have 50,000 humans remaining from billions, and are being hunted -daily- by the beings who want to extinguish your race, I believe that the military would establish marshal law, and any civilian ships who didn't like it would be welcome to take their chances on their own. To me, the show went a bit too far with the non-military leaders trying to keep their 'freedom' and avoiding letting the military do its job. In peacetime, I'd agreed with Roslin's choices most of the time. But on the verge of extinction? Let the people trained for war do the protecting without red-tape and other silliness.

It was interesting to see their take on it, though.

As OM said, each side of the equation probably has a fairly straight-forward command structure: definitely obvious for the military, but less so for the civilian side. It's when you mix the two that things become even more interesting! :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

kckolbe

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188046.0 (OOC)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188048.0 (Civilian Fleet Building)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188049.0 (Military Fleet Building)

I'd like the following players to go to the Civilian Fleet Building thread: mia h, RubySlippers, Chaeronea, RedEve, and Scribbles (I know that RedEve is military, but most of her duties will be in service to the civilian leadership and she will begin on the civilian ship)

I'd like the following players to go to the Military Fleet Building thread: Kythia, arkhos, OrangeMarmalade, HeavenAbove, and Caela

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Also, we are still recruiting.  I am currently talking to four players about possible characters.  Frelance, SargentToughie, Miss Kaia, and CurvyKitten are all working on character concepts.

Intro Thread

Pretty in Pink

Well, I would say color me interested, as it's sci fi, and there's plenty of spots open (looks like, at least), but I know next to nothing about BG, and ABSOLUTELY nothing about SoIaF.  If someone would be willing to help me, I'll tentatively put my interest out there for the Captain of the second military ship?

And on another note, *points up at the quickbar*  I blame the ad.
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

kckolbe

The ad works!  We are still accepting, most people don't know the system (which is heavily adapted), and even I don't know much of the lore (most of which is discarded).  Hope that helps.

The basic character creation info is in the second post of the thread.

Intro Thread

mia h

Quote from: kckolbe on October 20, 2013, 07:56:12 AM
Also, we are still recruiting.  I am currently talking to four players about possible characters.  Frelance, SargentToughie, Miss Kaia, and CurvyKitten are all working on character concepts.

Any hints on the character concepts ? I'm maybe possibly kicking around an idea or two for a secondary but wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

kckolbe

Frelance was considering a maintenance commander or mobility commander, I think leaning maintenance.  SargentToughie is currently working a business type involved in arms sales.  CurvyKitten and MissKaia were, I believe, considering pilots.

Intro Thread

mia h

So dentist, cook or comms officer wouldn't be a problem then  :D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

kckolbe

No issues with those.  Also, you can play comms officer and cook as either enlisted or officer.

Intro Thread

Pretty in Pink

Okay, so narrowing things down a little bit here.  Going with a Status 4 Lieutenant on the second military ship, now the XO as a result of the attack that hit the fleet.  Only made Lieutenant prior to the whole thing, so she's a bit... wet behind the ears for command.

Which of course frees Muse up to say...

kckolbe

I think status 4 is too high for a lieutenant, especially a new one.  Three would be fine. 

Intro Thread

Pretty in Pink

Myeep!  :P  Sorry.  Misunderstood that part of it, and missed where it said trained and untrained officers.

Muse

*Grins*  Thank you.  Sorry if I was a pain when we tried to work this out. 

I'd like to play the captain of the second military vessel.  Let's call him Captain Kade.  62 years old, he had just gotten his bachelors of the arts in the humanities at 22 when the Cylon War started.  He enlisted as an officer, served on a battle star, and has remained in the military through war and peace ever since. 

During peace times, he continued to pursue an education in the humanities, marrying a slightly younger woman from the English department.  They have a daughter.  Hs wife died of cancer seven years ago and he somewhat recently began a quite relationship with a woman young enough to be his daughter… 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)