Terminology Question (Clothing)

Started by Vandren, January 11, 2011, 08:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

I'm considering using the following image as inspiration for a project I'm working on, but have a question.  What would you call the top she's wearing (in clothing terminology)?  I toyed with "halter top", but wasn't sure if there's a more specific name for this style.

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Beguile's Mistress

The closest term I could come up with is a "bandeau" which is similar to a tube top or a bikini top that doesn't use formed cups.  Some of the definitions I found describe it as a band-shaped covering for the breasts.

Oniya

Personally, I'd call it a scarf, although worn in a non-typical manner.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

I found this link which shows something pretty similar, which explains how to wrap a scarf around to make a swimsuit top, so I think Oniya is correct. 

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Beguile's Mistress

The thing is that it could start out as a scarf but once it's used as a different article of clothing, in this case a top, the term bandeau might apply.

"Joan cleverly wound the scarf over her breasts creating a bandeau to match her skirt."

kylie

Not to be the last word by any means, but I tend to associate "bandeau" first with tops that don't extend above the elbow -- Edit, underarm, all the same right?  ::)  level.  Wikipedia claims that "bandeau" traditionally doesn't include any straps --  In practice though, it seems more like the rule only refers to shoulder straps. 

Some places call these "criss cross tops" (Although that is not limited to tops of a short length.  Full coverage blouses can be marked criss-cross when they include showy lines around the bust, too.)  Some places choose to say "criss cross bra tops."  I think that's perhaps more explanatory...  But it doesn't roll off the tongue when you want to be short and sweet -- like the outfit.

My suspicion:  There is no hard and fast rule, but as with women's sizing:  So many local terms (and sales pitches). 

Oh, but I did find pretty pictures along the way!

Vandren

Danke all, I kinda figured there wasn't going to be anything "hard and fast" (as it were), but thought I'd ask more fashion knowledgeable people.   ;D
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei