Achron - Time Travelling multiplayer RTS

Started by HairyHeretic, March 31, 2009, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Generally I don't go plugging games, but the concept on this one is fascinating. If they can pull it off, it will be a lot of fun to play.

http://achrongame.com/ is the home site

Go check out the videos.

Basically you can send your units through time, to an earlier point in the game .. even in multiplayer.

Someone sneak attacks you? No problem, go back 5 minutes and start building troops to repulse the attack, so that when the time waves reach the present, you'll have troops there to face it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

I see a lot of whining and moaning in the RTS genre for the next ten years... or the previous ten years if you look at it that way.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Alternatively, you send the troops back in time, wait about 100 yards away for the enemy to arrive on the scene, and then charge your own troops so that you take out the enemy with a massive Blinovitch Limitation Effect.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Can anyone else say paradox? One match would rip apart space and time.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Or this one - The command is to 'send all troops back in time 10 minutes, and return to this point.'

10 troops go through the portal to the past and head back to the initial coordinates.  They find themselves, preparing to go through the portal, and hear the command for 'all troops' to go through.  They join the force, making 20 troops, and go through the portal.

Repeat until memory crash.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Or they shake each others' hands and explode from the same matter being in the same place.
Or kill each other because it's really freaky for five of me to be fighting.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on March 31, 2009, 08:45:05 AM
Or they shake each others' hands and explode from the same matter being in the same place.

Thus, killing the enemy, just as their unscrupulous commander intended - mission successful! ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on March 31, 2009, 08:48:07 AM
Thus, killing the enemy, just as their unscrupulous commander intended - mission successful! ;D
Then the enemy sends an elite team of crack commandos to blow up your starting structure before you can get a base up. Effectively killing your commander and letting the machines win... oops slipped into the wrong thing there.

Seriously, this game sounds really wonky when you think about it. Cool but wonky.

Jeramiahh

My god... this is insane. What if you... caused paradox-type stuff? Like... send units into the past, then collect those units in a time when they also exist, in the past, then get them all killed off in a fight? I... just... the possibilities are absurd.

Like, ok, my opponent attacks me, I win, and half my units survive. I send them into the past, and change the fight, so the original copy of the sent unit dies... does the sent unit die, too?

Or if, when units sent to the past return to the present, I send them back again? Do I now have three copies of the same unit in the past? Can I do this an infinite number of times, and thus enver lose any defensive battle?
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jeramiahh on March 31, 2009, 01:50:42 PM
My god... this is insane. What if you... caused paradox-type stuff? Like... send units into the past, then collect those units in a time when they also exist, in the past, then get them all killed off in a fight? I... just... the possibilities are absurd.

Like, ok, my opponent attacks me, I win, and half my units survive. I send them into the past, and change the fight, so the original copy of the sent unit dies... does the sent unit die, too?

Or if, when units sent to the past return to the present, I send them back again? Do I now have three copies of the same unit in the past? Can I do this an infinite number of times, and thus enver lose any defensive battle?
*Duct tapes Jeramiahh's mouth shut before ultimate sanity loss*