Celebrities you will actually mourn

Started by Sabby, August 18, 2011, 12:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I will miss George Takei.  In the past couple months, alone, he has made me laugh, cry, and think more than most of the people I know in real life. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

He forced you to do those things?

That oppressive bastard!
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Quote from: Shjade on December 11, 2011, 01:31:13 PM
He forced you to do those things?

That oppressive bastard!

I'm so glad I installed that 'Humor-detection' add-on for Firefox. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Capone on December 11, 2011, 09:45:11 AM

I'm going to want to cry when Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill kick the bucket (Hell, that Mark Hamill isn't doing The Joker anymore is reason enough to cry).

I remind myself that he isn't dead and that he might always have a change of heart. His voices is stuck in my head on how the joker sounds now.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on August 18, 2011, 11:41:31 PM
None.

I don't know them. They're celebrities. I might be disappointed to hear about it if, say, Dakota Fanning died suddenly when she's still so young, but that'd pass in a few minutes. No mourning.
This.  they are people.  People I don't know personally.  I might miss their work, but them personally?  No.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

olive

Hmm, I will miss Robert De Niro, Robert Duval, Elton John, Tom Petty, Adam West, William Shatner, and probably at least a dozen more. Will I cry? Nope. I cried all my star-struck tears for John Lennon when I was 17 years old.

Well at least, I'll try not to cry.

Capone

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 11, 2011, 02:12:15 PM
This.  they are people.  People I don't know personally.  I might miss their work, but them personally?  No.

Being the sort of schmuck that listens to Director Commentaries and watches Making-Of's, some of these people are actually really cool.

I'd say I'd pretty much miss the entire cast of Chuck, but by time they all start kicking the bucket I'll be ready to meet 'em in the afterlife.

Quote from: Oniya on December 11, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
I will miss George Takei.  In the past couple months, alone, he has made me laugh, cry, and think more than most of the people I know in real life. 

Ah, I forgot him. He's got a great sense of humor and personality as well.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Capone

True point. I can't really say whether I'd mourn someone or not until they'd actually have died, though. Just like I can't really say I'd die for someone unless the time comes for me to make that decision (my niece being the only person I can definitively answer "yes" with).

Shjade

Wait. If you can't say you'd die for someone unless you had to make that decision, and you can definitely say "yes" you would die for your niece, how are you still alive? Since you answered yes for your niece, you evidently came to a point of needing to make that decision and, given your answer is yes, chose to die for her. But you're not dead. >.>
◕/◕'s

Capone

Stop pointing out my lack of logic while rambling!

I should have back-tracked and deleted and corrected. But, thus far, my niece is the only person I know for a fact I would die for. I'd like to believe I'd push a member of my family out of the way of an oncoming mac truck, but that's an impulsive thing that, well, I don't know if I would do it. Maybe I would! Maybe I'm really a son of a bitch that's just that selfish.

Oniya

Quote from: Shjade on December 11, 2011, 04:49:55 PM
Missing someone != mourning them.

Would holding a memorial viewing of ST:TOS movies with friends and breaking open the bottle of 'Romulan Ale' that's been aging in my cupboards count?

Shjade

That sounds more like celebrating a life than mourning. The wake without the grieving, as it were.
◕/◕'s

Capone

Quote from: Oniya on December 11, 2011, 10:02:40 PM
Would holding a memorial viewing of ST:TOS movies with friends and breaking open the bottle of 'Romulan Ale' that's been aging in my cupboards count?

If it's for George Takei, I might have to just make a reel of all his appearances on television. From the bad ass reveal on Heroes to him on Scrubs. Hell, even his brief appearance on Two and a Half Men. George Takei's awesomeness just grows so far beyond Star Trek.

I feel the same way with Mark Hamill. When he dies, I may have to watch a bunch of Batman cartoons, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, fast-forward to Cock Knocker from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and his very own mockumentary Comic Book: The Movie. I know the guy for so much more than just playing Luke Skywalker.

Crazy

Yes,  it is a travesty that he isn't playing the Joker anymore,  but Hamill's greatness will live on as he has redefined the character much like Cesar and Jack -  but the character seems to evolve as much as he changes.

I would also like to reiterate the Ridley Scott and Martin Scorsese comment, because those were exactly my thoughts upon reading the thread title.

Also,  Dakota Fanning would be a heartbreaker,  though I would find solace in the idea of Forever Young.

The death of Ronald Reagan brought more than just mantears,  I was inspired to write a song which I hope to someday perform for Nancy.

I hate to mention, but I found the death of Tourette's Guy to be a great loss to the internet community.

I fear that someday the universe will have to cope with the loss of Stephan Hawking.