So... Mitt Romney

Started by Beorning, August 29, 2012, 01:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

if he gave me that money, just a year's worth. I could live the rest of my life in peace...

he wants to talk about "entitlements"
I think I'm entitled to eat, have a home, and live more than he's entitled to $375,000 as tax free pocket change
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Stattick

Also, Mitt Romney wants you to stop masturbating. Check it out:

"More Mitt" — A Bad Lip Reading Soundbite
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

You know you're in a battleground state when you have something like 10 Romney/Crossroads ads on a half hour TV show's commercial spread.

Serephino

You know, I haven't seen any of those for a while.  I guess he's figured since this area has so many people on some kind of government assistance we aren't worth bothering with.  Oh well, works for me...

Stattick

Remember the accusations of class warfare that the Republicans are accusing Obama of stirring up? Well, maybe they're right...

Mandatory - Obama for America TV Ad

Fuck "The Man".  Rich assholes like the ones that owned the coal mine featured in this ad can go suck it. It's time for the middle class to start taking back our country.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

O/O   A/A

Lady Grey

In my anger at Romney I have started this blog---->http://www.tumblr.com/blog/angrybigbird

Follow if you love Big Bird!

Elias

I would like to know how many kids actually WATCH sesame street anymore, the values it stands for has been trampled by the mindless shit promoted by most childrens television. I mean Sponge bob that right there is the sign of our dieing nation.

If you believe in what PBS is doing donate, it doesn't need government subsidies, it needs help from viewers and if the viewers cant save it then clearly they didn't care enough to begin with.

Lady Grey

PBS allows low income families with basic cable to have educational television in their homes. By distributing these shows it also promotes merchandise of these characters. We're talking about thousands of jobs here, that are tied to this. How is that helping overall?

Oniya

My kid watched PBS.  Not Sesame Street, but Electric Company, Fetch with Ruff Ruffman and Dragonfly TV.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Elias

Quote from: Lady Grey on October 04, 2012, 05:22:30 PM
PBS allows low income families with basic cable to have educational television in their homes. By distributing these shows it also promotes merchandise of these characters. We're talking about thousands of jobs here, that are tied to this. How is that helping overall?

If you have Sesame street you have other child oriented channels. IF you want to save it, dont rely on government. They claim the majority of their sponsorship is from viewers anyway. Romney is right cut government programs across the board (Military included) tons of waste tons of useless pencil pushing positions, make the government smaller and leaner, and if he doesn't ill support the democrat like I am ripping into Obama now.

Trieste

The idea of pulling funding for PBS to fix the budget is being compared on FB to the idea of deleting text files in order to clear up your 500GB hard drive.

Elias

Total Spending   $6.4 trillion   
     Pensions   $1.1 trillion   
     Health Care   $1.2 trillion   
     Education   $1.0 trillion   
     Defense   $0.9 trillion   
     Welfare   $0.6 trillion   

Do you really think the only thing hes cutting is PBS?

Every single one of these can be cut in ferociously effective ways, Pensions lose billions in fraud.

Education, dear lord I mean could public education be failing us more? Not likely.

Defense, billions goes into pointless long dead technologies.

and Welfare, is also fraught with fraud.

Cut it down.

Trieste

So a friend who was watching the debate last night asked me how someone can make "clean coal" - something that he mentioned in the debate. I'm not really sure, and I'm pretty much stoned on cold meds at the moment. Can someone other than Elias break down into small words for me what the difference is between clean coal and, you know, coal?

Oniya

Clean coal refers to a process that uses steam and high pressure oxygen to make something called 'syngas', which is carbon monoxide and oxygen.  This leaves the heavy metals, sulfur and ash behind.  I'm not sure what they do with that.  The syngas is cleaned and then burned in place of the solid coal.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lady Grey

All I want from this election is reproductive freedom for women, the right for gays to get married, and some affordable health care. Those things would be fantastic.

Stattick

The Republican and Fox News attacks on PBS puzzle me. I cannot figure out why they'd do that. The news that PBS broadcasts has a conservative slant; all the independent news watchgroups, like FAIR, are in agreement on that. Maybe it's that PBS has a somewhat conservative slant, but doesn't preach the dogma and propaganda of Fox, and that just pisses Fox off? Or maybe it's just that the Republicans truly do think that PBS, as little as they get from the government, is a waste of money, like the Endowment for the Arts. I suppose that they think that the US can't afford these little things that enrich our lives.

I'd argue that it's foolish and short sighted not to endow the arts, including PBS. We're not a third world country. We can afford it. It's such a miniscule portion of the budget, and public art is such a treasure, I don't see how any great civilization would possibly ignore the arts. As a matter of fact, no great civilization has ignored the arts. But if America is in a decline, if our greatness is finished to be supplanted by China, India, or Japan, then yes, perhaps it is time to stop endorsing the arts.
O/O   A/A

Oniya

Maybe it's all those pesky science shows?  I'm rather flummoxed about it as well.  It's like putting back the pack of gum when your grocery bill is over $200.

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on October 04, 2012, 07:11:19 PM
Maybe it's all those pesky science shows?  I'm rather flummoxed about it as well.  It's like putting back the pack of gum when your grocery bill is over $200.

Or like having a hundred dollar bill in your pocket, and dropping a penny in the "leave a penny" tray at the market. Since the amount we give to PBS is 1/100th of 1% of the budget, it's pretty much exactly like dropping a penny in the tray.
O/O   A/A

MasterMischief

Texas Two-Step, anyone?

"That's not mine!"
"I never said that!"
"Na uh!"

Romney was brilliant last night...as a Democrat.

Oniya

Quote from: Stattick on October 04, 2012, 07:33:52 PM
Or like having a hundred dollar bill in your pocket, and dropping a penny in the "leave a penny" tray at the market. Since the amount we give to PBS is 1/100th of 1% of the budget, it's pretty much exactly like dropping a penny in the tray.

Ah, here we go.  PBS puts up reminders about how eligible voters used to be discouraged from going to the ballot boxes:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/literacy_popup.html

Sabby

All I can say is I'm glad I live over here. At least my Prime Minister is a ginger. Sure, we just lost the marriage equality thing (again), but every time I hit this board I get the impression you're being made to choose the least damaging candidate.

Valerian

That always happens to some extent, sure.

This time around, however, after exhaustive and sometimes painful research, I'm quite convinced that there's a great gulf between the amount of damage Obama might cause, and the shockingly greater amount of damage that Romney will cause.  So not much of an issue for me this election.   :P
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Stattick

Well, Obama's made things a bit worse when it comes to civil liberties and increasing legal powers of the US Government in the slow decent into a police state that the US has been sliding toward for a few decades. He hasn't vastly made things worse in this regard, just continued the trend established in previous administrations. There's a bunch of controversy surrounding his use of drones on the battlefield, but that's not an issue I've looked at, and frankly don't care all that much about. War is always hell, and civilians always die in war. When you're fighting a war like this, where it's hard to tell the allies, combatants, and non-combatants apart, there's always a high degree of unfortunate civilian deaths. I'm not sure that it's worse than it would be if it was our soldiers out there pulling the triggers, or the drones. I don't have a horse in that race... it's hard to focus on what we're doing over in Afghanistan and Pakistan when things are this bad at home, and threatening to get a lot worse if we elect Romneybot 2000.

But besides the issues above, I feel that Obama's either holding the line, or improving things. I think he's doing more good than ill in this country and in the world. The civil liberties issues we can address later, and will need to. The problem in Afghanistan... well, that was a clusterfuck from the very start since we didn't have the manpower to go in there and do a proper job, since Bush the Lessor decided to lie to the American people and start a second unnecessarily war in Iraq that sapped our manpower, munitions, will, public and international support, and so forth. There really isn't anything more we can do in Afghanistan and Pakistan beside one of these two options: pull out, or institute the draft, raise our troop numbers by hundreds of thousands, and do a full scale invasion of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and hope that the action doesn't pull the Chinese and/or Russians into the war fighting against us. So, we're kinda screwed on there, but Obama's pulling out, so hopefully things will start getting worse over there on that count.
O/O   A/A

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on October 04, 2012, 10:56:58 PM
Ah, here we go.  PBS puts up reminders about how eligible voters used to be discouraged from going to the ballot boxes:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/literacy_popup.html

I'm pretty well educated and I'm not sure I could answer all of those. >.>