D&D 5e Recruitment [nonCon][IC Posted]

Started by Jezabelle, March 24, 2015, 01:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezabelle

IC
OOC
Note on Character Generation:
I understand being very new not everyone will have the 5e PHB.  As such, I'm willing to help you create a character so we can play without undue barrier to entry.

Additionally note we're LVL 1's to start!  Yeah, starting from the bottom y'all.  Point buy per the PHB.

Howdy everyone!

I've been mulling over the PHB, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide for a few weeks now and honing my 5e setting.  I'd love to flesh it out with an adventure on these forums!  I have some iRL experience DMing, as well as playbypost.

Right now this is just an interest check, but a brief overview of the world:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
For an Age the surface of the world was covered in dark miasma and filled with beasts that thrived in its vile life-draining mists.  A valiant group of heroes had died trying to save the world, and they had succeeded--at a price.  The Age of Ghasts would not last forever, but a thousand years most races were forced underground or into a deep hibernation.

Now, three hundred years after the vile miasma has been lifted from the land, its demographics have changed wildly--most surface races were forced underground to live with the Dwarves in the slums of their Deephomes, underground trade nexuses.  The Elves retreated into their grandest cities and managed to sleep there safely guarded by magic, but when they emerged they found their holdings spread too far and thin.

The Lizardfolk, however, had thrived.  Under their Mer Queens, they had managed to build opulent cities on the coasts and up the rivers in the jungles while the other races couldn't abide the evil mists.  Now they try to raid and enslave the newly re-emerging races as they strive to make their way on the surface.

There's a mix of colonial theme, and ancient ruined world preserved to be exploited--though it may be full of dangers, and lots of other quandaries.

Starting Region
Light Green:  Foot hills/Arid flat land
Dark Green:  Heavily Forested\Jungle
Baby BLU:  Water
Brown:  Foothills\Crags
Purple:  City/Surrounding Hamlets (Letter designates Lizardfolk, Dwarf, or Freehold)
Grey:  Crags

The Pantheon
LawfuL Good
Autoamare, God of Self-Love  ::  Nature, Life
SymboL:  Hand Clasping Rod

Phorminar, God of Judgement  ::  Knowledge
SymboL:  Scales

NeutraL Good
Bromulus, God of Holy War  ::  War, Tempest
SymboL:  Hammer

Helmyr, Goddess of Nature  ::  Nature, Light
SymboL:  Tree

Brudum, God of Agriculture  ::  Life, Nature
SymboL:  Wheat Sheaf

Chaotic Good
Fylus, the Benevolent Trickster  ::  Trickery, Light
SymboL:  Arrow

Ventria, Goddess of the Wild Hunt  ::  Nature, War
SymboL:  Chariot

THE PLANE of BALANCE ::

LawfuL Neutral
Frank, God of Undermining Bullshit  ::  Knowledge, Light
SymboL:  Fork

Sslyn, Serpentine Goddess of the Waves, Patron of Mer and Lizard  ::  Life, Tempest
SymboL:  Waves Broken by Fin

True Neutral:  nothing can enter it as it would throw off its alignment
Aumonoma, the Machine God  ::  Knowledge
SymboL:  Cog

Chaotic Neutral
Ardastra, Goddess of Passion & Revenge  ::  Tempest, Trickery
SymboL:  Wasp-Hilted Dagger

Zalara, Scaled God of the Storm  ::  Tempest, War
SymboL:  Trident Piercing Trireme

Musho, Deity of Indeterminate Sex & Battle  ::  War, Light
SymboL:  Crossed Swords

FIENDISH PLANE ::

LawfuL EviL
Jahyr, Goddess of Blood  ::  Death, Nature
SymboL:  Blood Drop

Dwylnyr, God of Destruction  ::  War, Tempest
SymboL:  Shattered Wheel

Neutral EviL
Selindra, Goddess of Forbidden Knowledge  ::  Knowledge, Death
SymboL:  EviL Eye

Bokuro, the Searing Light, God of Sacrifice  ::  Light
SymboL:  Athame Piercing Eye

Chaotic EviL
Lolth, Queen of Spiders, Patron of the Drow  ::  Trickery, Death
SymboL:  Arachnid Motifs

Dermindae, Thief of Virtue  ::  Trickery, Knowledge
SymboL:  Falling Purse

My initial thoughts are medium-smut, as in some sexual magic\cults\monsters but they're relatively rare in the world, and as for theme\alignment, that's up to the players as I am open to a wide range.

I've been toying with the idea of a few encounters that are kind of like the best parts of the Witcher games in nature--you find our a monster(s) habits\weaknesses, prepare appropriately, and then suss them out for the final dance.  I could imagine both the Lizardfolk and Hill Dwarf city states paying adventurers for such services in taming the wild surroundings.

After working up through the lower levels in that way, I imagine the group would slowly grow more aware of greater events occurring within the realm(s) and seek to influence the course of events--or else profit by them however they may land.

The world, while not quite grimdark, is beset by a certain unyielding pragmatism.  Good doesn't triumph inandof itself, any major entity not fueled by borderline neurotic zealously is watching out for its bottom line in any venture, and bad things happen to good people.  There are still paragons of virtue, holy individuals and rogues with hearts of gold, but this is not their sandbox--evil and base things do not wilt at their presence, nor is their defeat ever assured.  Rather than a cosmic struggle between alignments however the Prime Material tends to be a stage for very human dramas of personal and institutional aspirations, desires, defeats and tragedies.

At this point I'd say we definitely have enough interest; filling out your character and PMing them to me\posting them here is a good next step if you'd like in on the action.  I'm not limiting numbers right now because we all know how this dance goes, and I'm hedging my bets we'll be able to make it with half the # of people we go in with.

Ravnay and her Districts

When it was first founded under charter from the Ravnay Expedition Limited Corporation, the city was only intended to spread across the east bank of the river Rav.  Now, however, its older district--and oldest slum--inhabit the east bank, whereas the bulk of the city has crossed to the west bank.

There are five bridges across the river Rav, two stone and three wood.  Congestion and traffic across these is an issue, as they are all over Ravnay, which was far from a well thought-out plan when it first began.  The major roads (marked in grey) are the only reliable means of getting around aside from a ferry, and even then, traffic on the river can frequently erupt into boat-fights which clog up travel even more as the guards take some time to respond on the water.

Thanks to their huge and divisive nature, the major roadways generally divide up the parts of town--with the exception of the Wold and Harford's Ferry, where the distinction of being on one side or the other still tells you a lot about the neighbourhood.

The Wold
The oldest and most regal of the districts, the descendant of original share holders and corporate officers keep their estates here.  In a world of new and uncertain things, the Wold is the beginnings of the Blue Blood--already thinking themselves more noble than bourgeoisie in origin, the residents of the Wold are known for their decadence and their chicanery.

The Grange
Once the agricultural center of the settlement, the Grange was kept as a green space and park for the rich residents of Ravnay to enjoy.  Unofficially, it's become the Elven quarter--the old converted farmhouses and stone townhouses serving as bordellos for those of finer taste, and some Elves making their ways as gardeners amongst the still relatively free streams and groves, paid by the city to keep things trim and verdant.

The Goldsmith's Quarter
The descendants of foremen got their children into cushy midlevel government jobs and goldsmithing, a dirty but lucrative profession that involves everything form gold leaf to decorate manuscripts to engineering feats hardly related to gold or smithing at all.  The more renowned architects amongst the goldsmiths are also occasionally called upon to act as engineers in times of war.  All in all, a bourgeois rises along the water's eastern bank in the shadow of their betters and the city's largest concentration of Elves.

The Wool District
More rough-and-tumble, the Wool District has its fare share of those who did well and those who just barely get by.  It boasts several warehouses and places of business, as well as the homes of almost everyone in the wool trade--save for the porters who live out in the shanty towns.  Wool is big business in Ravnay, and the Woolman's Guild is--aside from notoriously sexist--a force to be reckoned with in politics and bridgeway brawls.

Harford's Ferry
When the Sects and Cults descended upon the economic venture of Ravnay and found an audience amongst its world-weary populace, the Corporation refused to let them break dirt on the East Bank.  Not discouraged, but in need of a solution, many turned to an enterprising man named Harford.  Harford wasn't part of the expedition, but had come to the surface with his kinsmen a few decades ago.  Now, he'd built a small town, not nearly enough to rival Ravnay on the far side, but an important point of transit thanks to his ferry and the relative lack of bridges.  Allowing various religious structures to be built--so long as they'd submit to his tax--Harford's Ferry was born.  A melting pot of many religions and races, its attracts all kinds, and still draws revenue from its infamous Temple Tax which rather than be surrendered to the city is directly in the purse of the Harford Alderman, always a descendant of Harford himself--by practice rather than decree.

Blackshack Row
A hundred and fifty years ago when the wall was being built, Hill Dwarfs were contracted to oversee construction and provide the stone.  As it turned out, much of the bulwark would use wood as a substitute due to the continued expansion of the project, but the line got drawn to include where the Dwarfs themselves had come to live and work--Blackshack Row, so called for its narrow stature, relative length, and the constant black smith coming from the smithies that cropped up there to help build and repair tools used during construction.  Today, it is in essence the Dwarfish quarter of the city, although Dwarfs live freely throughout all of Ravnay, and it is where the Dwarfish Banks keep their branches.

Guild Quarter
When the walls were being built, the various Guilds decided to cut out a corner of the city to call their own--and were willing to pay through the nose to do so.  The Goldsmith's, Ferryman's, and Woolman's guild footed the bill equally, and each owned a 3rd of the new quarter.  They would go on to sell parcels of land on their plots to new or petty guilds.  The Poacher's Guildhall, for example, lies within the Goldsmith's 3rd of the Guild Quarter.

Almondus

I am totally interested in doing a D&D game.  Glad to see the post Jezabelle.  I'd like to take you up on your offer to help with character creation.  Expect a pm from me ;)

Jezabelle

Quote from: Almondus on March 24, 2015, 02:23:13 PM
I am totally interested in doing a D&D game.  Glad to see the post Jezabelle.  I'd like to take you up on your offer to help with character creation.  Expect a pm from me ;)

Certainly, I can give you a helping hand there.  Replied t'your PM.

Etherealgirl

Jezabelle

Quote from: Etherealgirl on March 24, 2015, 03:33:18 PM
I'm interested! :D What level?

I am so audacious as to suggest the party starts as level 1's!

I know it sounds like madness, but LVL3 has pretty big decisions in 5e.  I'd rather give people the opportunity to grow into their own--plus, this being nonCon, a certain degree of... vulnerability can aid the smut.

Etherealgirl

Kay! :D

Gonna try for a rogue/assassin elf.

Muse

I'm intrested! 

Perhaps with an elfkin wizard who was a street urchin before winning her apprenticeship?  *Shrugs*  I can certainly do a broad variety of concepts.  I tend to favor spell casters, but I have a cleric in another game, and I'm still fairly new to fifth, so pretty much anything could interest me. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jezabelle

Quote from: Muse on March 24, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
  I'm intrested! 

Perhaps with an elfkin wizard who was a street urchin before winning her apprenticeship?  *Shrugs*  I can certainly do a broad variety of concepts.  I tend to favor spell casters, but I have a cleric in another game, and I'm still fairly new to fifth, so pretty much anything could interest me.

Certainly sounds interesting--as far as Elfkin go, have the been stat'd in any 5e material yet?  If not, I'm sure we can translate something reasonable from 3.5e.

I'm helping Almondus build a Warlock, probably Bladelock right now.  Feel free to go with what strikes your fancy--I prefer to build the campaign around the characters in some ways, so nobody should be too worried about doubling up or edging in on people's turf class-wise, ESPECIALLY given the breadth within a class available in 5e.

Paladin101

I have the 5e player handbook, I think I might give this a whirl. Considering a human bard.

Jezabelle

Quote from: Paladin101 on March 24, 2015, 03:57:57 PM
I have the 5e player handbook, I think I might give this a whirl. Considering a human bard.

Ooooh; always love a good Charisma caster.  Let me know if you'd like any help\input with charGen or have any questions about the world and it's cultures\their music.

Xurtan

This.. might be interesting. Primarily seeing squishy types being made so far, any objection to a Barbarian? Not sure what race, or how he would fit in the setting quite yet.

Jezabelle

Quote from: Xurtan on March 24, 2015, 04:13:40 PM
This.. might be interesting. Primarily seeing squishy types being made so far, any objection to a Barbarian? Not sure what race, or how he would fit in the setting quite yet.

Barbarians are not objectionable; the northern continent is a constant struggle between Dwarven city states who frequently press-gang other races into manual labour and the coastal Lizardfolk who will as soon trade with you as trade you, and on the Plains to the West the Orcish War Riders pillage with impunity, fearing the hole into the Underdank (yes you read that right, it has many hallucinogenic spores, the Underdank) that sits on their border.  Those seeking to make their home here, humans or otherwise, are often rugged, ill-educated, and just as deadly as their foes--if they are to survive.

Barbarians are also common on the southernmost continent on Pankrea, far removed from the more civilized world, the settlers here recieve only middling trade with the one Deepway route domineered by Drow raiders and the sail to Pankrea long and for little good in return.  Frigid, mountainous and craggy, Pankreans adopt the wild to survive and thrive.

Barbarians are native to other lands in the world as well, but in essence, they exist chaffing between the brutal oppression of society and the brutal oppression of the wilds, a gap made far wider and more treacherous through lack of established kingdoms in many parts of the world.

Muse

*smiles*  I could defiantly see K'tanya here.  Any character generation specifics? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Paladin101

Are the human societies that have crawled out of the underground all more or less barbaric? Or is there any that would be of a more civilized bent? Trying to decide on the mood of my bard, also trying to decide if I want to go male or branch out with something new and try writing a female character. : / Either way I am thinking this bard will be aiming towards being a skald, singer of songs of battle and keeper of tales of heroism!

Jezabelle

Quote from: Muse on March 24, 2015, 04:52:16 PM
  *smiles*  I could defiantly see K'tanya here.  Any character generation specifics?

Any LVL 1, PHB races and classes but you can broach a race from an older version to me.

In terms of civilization: Humans have lived among Dwarves for an age.  Many are restless to spread across the lands that once were theirs, generally with gnomes, halflings,  and dwarves in tow.  So, there's a mix in terms of civilization.

Kemet, the ancient kingdom restored to glory, is an Egypt expy and the largest and most established Human kingdom--both of which are rarities.  Far more common are Freeholds, multiracial cities established by charter with Caravan Companies.  These tinderboxes of disease and discontent have a certain free booting spirit about them.

Those seeking their own lands forsook corporate sponsorship, raised money through religious institutions or graft, and went to the less settled lands to make them their own.  The latter become the more barbaric lands, and lost contact quickly with sophisticated professions and trade networks in favour of living off the land.  Druids and barbarians thrive here.

Muse

How will we determine atributes?  there's a standard point buy in the books? 

Jezabelle

Quote from: Muse on March 24, 2015, 06:52:04 PM
  How will we determine atributes?  there's a standard point buy in the books?

... awwww, sheeeet.  I rolled for em.  Yeah, we should probably revert to the proscribed Point Buy, which also means nothing above a 15 pre-racial mods...

QUESTION: the PHB says humans get a +1 to every Attribute, but fan materials and Flo charts tend to lack that.  It does seem a bit OP.

Muse

If feats are in use, the alternative human is more common. 

Jezabelle

Quote from: Muse on March 24, 2015, 07:34:21 PM
  If feats are in use, the alternative human is more common.

Feats are allowed, so is the alt.human with +2 to either.  But I'll see people mention both human and alt human, listing +1 to two different skills.  But that was when it was still called Next methynks.

Paladin101

according to the PHB the variant is +1 to two skills of your choice, proficiency in one skill, and one feat.

Jezabelle

Quote from: Paladin101 on March 24, 2015, 07:46:23 PM
according to the PHB the variant is +1 to two skills of your choice, proficiency in one skill, and one feat.

Now this is just getting confusing.

"Ability Score Increase. Your ability scores each increase by 1."

Then, the alt, +1 to two different ones... iGuess that's the diff?

Paladin101

Quote from: Jezabelle on March 24, 2015, 07:56:08 PM
Now this is just getting confusing.

"Ability Score Increase. Your ability scores each increase by 1."

Then, the alt, +1 to two different ones... iGuess that's the diff?

Ya the basic rule is, +1 to all ability scores, while most races get +2 to two different scores. The variant rule is +1 to two scores, and then a free skill proficiency and feat to make up for the points humans don't get.

Jezabelle

Quote from: Paladin101 on March 24, 2015, 07:59:09 PM
Ya the basic rule is, +1 to all ability scores, while most races get +2 to two different scores. The variant rule is +1 to two scores, and then a free skill proficiency and feat to make up for the points humans don't get.

Thanks, feeling like a real scrub here; now that that's all kleared up, I'll give less advice on character building without extensive rules checking XD

Paladin101

Quote from: Jezabelle on March 24, 2015, 08:01:52 PM
Thanks, feeling like a real scrub here; now that that's all kleared up, I'll give less advice on character building without extensive rules checking XD

Eh I only know it cuz I have the book sitting next to me. lol. I bought the PHB at Gen Con last year and haven't used it since, so I'm not too up to date with the rules either, I just read really fast. :D