Interest Check: Exalted Campaign

Started by BruceTheCat, July 03, 2012, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

:) Cinnabar comes home periodically to spend time with his sister and the rest of his family.  Sometimes he guards caravans for her. 

Whoot!  It's gears! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

BruceTheCat

Alright guys, I'm going to list out some of the guidelines I'm going to implement for the RP. Nothing too big, just want to cover my bases and let you guys know what you're getting into!

Canon/History

I will be taking *some* creative liberties with the setting, based on what I like or don't like. I am not all knowing about this universe! I will make mistakes on who runs what, and how the social structure or political system works between one place and another. Rest assured I will do my research if I see the RP migrating to a specific city, but in the heat of the moment I have been known to just make stuff up.

If you have a problem with a *fact* I created about the world, let's resolve it over PM, but not in the actual forum itself. I'm going to assume you guys know as much as I do about what the creators of White Wolf put into their world. Do not however assume that it's all true, or that your character would know it just because you do. Play what you think your character would realistically know. If your character is aware of something that I find inappropriate, I'll bring it up in a PM with you.

Below is an example of two things I've changed:

The Lintha: When I was first introduced to Exalted, I was told by my Story-Teller that the Lintha are basically (if you've seen Firefly) the Reavers of the ocean. These cannibalistic, bat shit crazy pirates who have no real purpose other than wandering around and devouring ship crews. Then, years later, I purchased The West book and discovered that they actually have a pretty intricate society and are fairly normal. I preferred what I was originally told, because the Lintha made wonderful mindless enemies. So they will remain the Reavers of the western ocean.

The Scarlet Empress: White Wolf eventually admits that the Scarlet Empress is in Malfeas, overcome by a 5 dot artifact that has forced her to fall in love with the Ebon Dragon. Honestly, I thought that this decision was pretty stupid on their part. So this is NOT what happened to the Scarlet Empress. The truth still remains a mystery.

Post Order

When the RP begins I will post first with a setup for you guys. After my post is finished, you will make your respective posts and we will continue from there forward. I would like to be able to post once a day, or at least once every two days. I find that the easiest way for people to lose interest in an RP is when the posts begin to slow down dramatically. So here is the solution I invented.

In a hypothetical situation, let's say that I post, then two of you do. We are waiting for the third person to post, but a full day or two goes by and still nothing. At that point I'm going to post again. It could be short or long depending on what's going on, but that will be the sign that the other two people can go ahead and begin posting again. That third person can just catch up on what they missed, and jump in when they have the chance.

PvP and PvE

Whenever you guys are confronted with an enemy who's text is in red, they are weak opponents that you guys can describe how you decorate the surrounding walls with their entrails. If this color is not present when I describe a person, or an enemy, that means that they aren't weak enough for you guys to easily crush. In that case, describe your attack, and I'll tell you the result of it. Likely I will expand on this whole coloring system at a later date, but this is all just off the top of my head for now.

If you're fighting another player, you guys can resolve it between each other. I will only step intervene if I think that one person is being unfair to another. I.E. The social character with nothing but social charms claims to be able to easily block the attack from the Dawn Caste Solar with nothing but melee charms.

I think that's it. Let me know if you disagree with any of these things. These ARE NOT make or break it guidelines. I'm more than happy to discuss why I chose this, and reconsider over having somebody just jump ship now. Thanks guys!

P.S. If you have any backstory items that you would like me to use for story hooks or elements, but don't want the other players to know about that part of your character's past, PM them to me!
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Muse

Sounds solid to me, moi capitan! 

What section are you going to put this in?  Light? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

BruceTheCat

Honestly I'm not sure. I thought maybe in Bondage just in case? I don't really know how hardcore the mods are on this site (being new) about an RP accidentally progressing or having some of that content on an incorrect board. Thoughts from you guys?

I know we discussed that sex would be something to happen after there has been character progression and tension build up. But even the scene between Daenarys (sp) and Kahl Drogo would have started as NC before becoming Light.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

AribethAmkiir

Name: Intricate Raven
Type: Solar
Caste: Night
Concept: Princess of Thieves

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 145 lbs
Skin: Olive
Hair: Dark brown with blonde highlights
Eyes: Brown

Anima: A black and gold raven, golden claws outstretched to pluck her target.
Motivation: Redistribute the world’s wealth evenly
Intimacies:
•   Her Circle
•   The poor
•   Orichalcium Switchklave “Raven’s Talon”

Description: Raven moves with a seductive grace that hints at an unspoken promise to the unwary eye.  The leathers she typically wears are dyed in browns or blacks that allow for easier concealment in the streets of Nexus, and are more often than not form fitting to prevent an accidental tear or snag.  Her body is obviously feminine with prominent hips and a bust that is difficult to conceal.  Her blonde highlighted hair is often worn at neck length and can easily be tied up so that it is out of the way.  Dark leather pants and thigh high soft soled boots conceal her long, toned legs.  She has hawk like facial features and unreadable dark brown eyes that make lesser men nervous.

Personality: Raven is a serious, calculating woman who tends to fluctuate to extremes.  She is conniving and crafty and has a habit of playing her cards close to her chest.  She has had long practice to hide this portion of herself behind a sexy smile and flirtatious look.  She believes full heartedly in helping the poor and downtrodden and is often moved to action when she sees abuse or inequality.  She has a strong belief that what she is doing is for the betterment of the people and almost never second guesses her plans once she’s begun to implement them.  Only a select handful of people know the real Raven and she likes it that way.

Background: A street urchin born to a nameless whore in Great Forks, Raven was on her own from the moment she could walk.  She learned the lessons of the street quickly and found a niche as a gutter rat.  As she grew older she learned that there were easier yet just as disgusting ways to survive and decided to make her own way.  She turned to pick-pocketing, fencing, and grand larceny until she slowly became a known criminal.

At the age of 15, she was forced to flee Great Forks and decided that Nexus was the place for her.  Upon arrival she quickly found a gang of thieves that accepted her and began working with them.  It was after a particularly profitable score that she found out the true colors of her so called partners.  They turned on her and she was forced to fight and ultimately flee for her life.  She Exalted during her desperate fight for survival and used her newfound abilities to exact her revenge.  Since then, she has taken control of the gang and slowly expanded her influence.  She helps feed the poor and sick and is slowly earning the love and respect of the unfortunate.  It’s suspected that she uses children and beggars as her eyes and ears.
Attributes:

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 5
Stamina: 3
Charisma: 3
Manipulation: 3
Appearance: 3
Perception: 2
Intelligence: 2
Wits: 3
Abilities:

Archery: 0
Martial Arts: 0
Melee*: 3
Thrown: 0
War: 0
Integrity*: 3
Performance: 3
Presence*: 2
Resistance:  1
Survival: 2
Craft : 0
Investigation: 2
Lore: 0
Medicine:  0
Occult: 0
Athletics*: 4
Awareness*: 3
Dodge*: 4
Larceny*: 4
Stealth*:  4
Bureaucracy*: 2
Linguistics: 1
Ride: 0
Sail: 0
Socialize*: 2
Backgrounds:

Artifacts 3: 
•   Orichalcium Chain Shirt: 7L/5B Soak, 3L/3B Hardness, -0 Mobility, 0 Fatigue, Cost 1, Attune 2. It may be concealed under normal clothes.
•   Orichalcium Switchklave: speed 4, accuracy 4, +4L, defense 2, rate 4, min strength 1, min dexterity 3, attune 6, Piercing (p. 76 Wonders of the Lost Age).
Followers 2 – beggars, thieves, widows, and children
Influence 1 – The poor know her name.
Resources 3

Advantages:

Compassion*: 3     Flaw = Red Rage Compassion
Conviction: 3
Temperance: 1
Valor: 2
Willpower: 6
Essence: 2
Languages: Rivertongue*, Low Realm
Charms

Second Larceny Excellency – Essence Triumphant
Second Stealth Excellency – Essence Triumphant
Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise
Easily Overlooked Presence Method
Reflex Sidestep Technique
Shadow Over Water
Seven Shadow Evasion – Conviction Flaw
Second Integrity Excellency – Essence Triumphant
Temptation-Resisting Stance
Ox-Body Technique (Option 3)

AribethAmkiir

Well I didn't want to double post but my suggestion would be NC: Exotic since we do have Lunars and they have certain charms and there could always be an appearance by a Fae.  It's also my opinion to lean toward being overcautious when placing games.

Also a question, when you're creating an "extra" character that we can splat against the walls, is the whole post going to be red, the description, or the character's name?   I'm sure it'll make sense when we see it but I was curious.

And this is neither here nor there, but I'm hoping we get a few more male characters.  I wouldn't be opposed to having a male Lunar mate for Raven.

BruceTheCat

QuoteAlso a question, when you're creating an "extra" character that we can splat against the walls, is the whole post going to be red, the description, or the character's name?   I'm sure it'll make sense when we see it but I was curious.

It will make sense when you see it I think. Honestly I've never done it before, so this method will be new for me as well. But don't worry, the description will be information enough. With weak characters I often touch on how poor, or unsure their stance is. Or how their hand shakes from holding up the weight of a sword, obviously unfamiliar with it.

And this is neither here nor there, but I'm hoping we get a few more male characters.  I wouldn't be opposed to having a male Lunar mate for Raven.

No problem Raven. I'm not intending to start just yet since Roxy had to leave. I'm going to see if we can get one more character sheet before we get going. If we don't have another volunteer, would you (or anyone for that matter) be opposed to me playing as this character while also Story-Telling?

The problem with being the Storyteller is that you don't get to really play, but this would satisfy that desire for me. But ultimately I want to make this your call as the players.
- scribus1000

AribethAmkiir

I generally have no problem with Story Tellers also playing characters. 

It has been my experience in the past, however, that STs aren't always as neutral or even-handed with their own characters as they are with other players' characters.  While the degree of that often depends upon the ST, I have seen it get out of hand before.  Please, don't take this as me suggesting this would happen in this case.

BruceTheCat

QuoteIt has been my experience in the past, however, that STs aren't always as neutral or even-handed with their own characters as they are with other players' characters.  While the degree of that often depends upon the ST, I have seen it get out of hand before.  Please, don't take this as me suggesting this would happen in this case.

Of course, I have seen this in the past as well. I will do my absolute best if we are unable to find somebody to fill the slot. I will throw a character together and post it tomorrow evening if we can't find somebody to take this role for you Aribeth.
- scribus1000

AKunoichi

Quote from: Red Lobster on July 04, 2012, 05:48:44 PM
What Roxy said was appropriate. What I need to know primarily is what things you are skilled in, and what are you not skilled in. This can be portrayed to me through a character sheen, or you can list it the way Roxy did. Likewise a backstory would be suitable, as well as your primary goal.

So, to list these are the things I need. If you haven't already done this, or only partially, please post again with the needed information.

1. Appearance
2. Exalt Type
3. Primary Attributes
4. Primary Skills
5. Personality
6. Backstory
7. Epic Motivation

I'm going to make a post here in a bit to add more about where you guys are starting, and why. Obviously we need to get everyone together as a party, so I will need you guys to suspend your disbelief and go just go with it. I realize that some characters might be the 'lone-wolf' sort, and wouldn't be caught dead in certain places, but we have to get everyone together somehow.

well the character I already have stats for is a Temple Prostitute from An Teng, although Nexus is a long way off so I might make somebody else.
1. Appearance: A dark skinned young woman wearing gold body paint.
2. Exalt Type: Solar Zenith
3. Primary Attributes: Charisma, Apperance
4. Primary Skills: Performance, Presence, Dodge
5. Personality: Naive, Passionate
6. Backstory: Temple prostitute who exalted when she refused to deny her devotion to the unconquered sun.
7. Epic Motivation: Spread worship of the Unconquered sun as a fertility god of free love.

Brandon

Hi all, I talked to RL a bit and just submitted my eclipse to the group. For everyone else here's his specifics

Name: Zanin Ortic

Background: Zanin Ortic was born twenty years ago in the realm as the son to one of the often overlooked teachers in the many primary schools that Dynasts and Patrician’s sent their children to. The identity of his mother is a mystery though mostly because his father insists that he does not know who she was. Yet rumors abound that she may have been anything from a slave girl to a Dynast. Whatever the truth is, it no longer matters to him

When he was a child he learned the same lessons that other wealthy families did though some took better then others. Early on Zanin showed his ability with sword and word yet he wasn’t as smart as his father had hoped and found scholarly pursuits to have little interest for him.

What did interest him was the lifestyle of a warrior. The ability to command forces, to destroy opponents that threatened him and his lifestyle, to make creation a little bit safer one battle at a time all called to him early on and by the time he finished school he had already made a name for himself as a competent swordsman who could even hold his own against newly exalted Dynasts.

When Zanin turned sixteen he enlisted as a soldier in House Cathak’s personal guard and quickly worked his way up the ranks as he saw to his duties and helped train new soldiers. In time he earned himself a large sum of money for his intensive training for the houses soldiers and new dragonblooded. After two years he was assigned to a young dragonblooded’s scale as a second in command. The dragonblooded was named Cathak Jerin and he and Zanin soon became as close as true brothers. Zanin served that scale for a year and saw some battle at the hands of heretics, unruly gods, and rival houses.

At the end of that time is when he exalted. The gods of one of House Cathak’s northern satriapies had begun to resent the houses control of its city and inspired a minor revolt, Zanin’s scale was sent in to quell the god by whatever means they chose. Zanin arranged for a place to mediate the problems between House Cathak and the god but what was supposed to be a peaceful meeting ended up being a bloody battle when the god and its followers attacked without provocation. The scale fought hard and for every man that died twenty of their attackers fell till it was only Zanin and Jerin left.

For their part, they knew they were going to die, they knew that there wasn’t hope of their skills destroying the god and the few legions he had left, and they knew that help wasn’t coming. They didn’t back down though, they charged with all the fury and power that a mortal and dragonblooded could muster. What the pair didn’t know was that reinforcements did come but in the form of a true exaltation. When blades met flesh Zanin was blessed with the unconquered suns favor under the Eclipse caste, chosen to be a judge, peacekeeper, and warrior. Though Jerin was scared by the knowledge of his friend being an anathema they fought on till every cult member and their god lied at their feet.

Then their blades were reluctantly turned on each other. By the end both were severly wounded though by virtue of pure luck Zanin was the only one left standing. He tended to Jerin’s wounds before leaving and setting off for the north with the intent of leaving the realm now that he knew he was anathema to them.

Within a month of wandering he came across a small cell that called themselves members of the Cult of the illuminated and they instantly recognized the truth of his exaltation. They taught him much about the Solars and armed him with an Orichalum Daiklave to help him in the future. When he felt like he could survive on his own again he headed further north to Eagle talon, intent on it being the first place in which he would begin his work toward making a world where the Exalted could live in peace with one another

===========================

An interview with Zanin

How old are you?: Twenty, I will turn twenty one when winter comes

What was your family life like?: I was raised in the realm by my father who was a teacher at one of the many Primary schools that Dynasts and Patrcian’s send their students to. I don’t know my mother though there have been many rumors as to her identity, I believe the most fantastic one is that she was a noblewoman from house Cynis that my father bedded after one of their wild parties.

Back to your question though. My father was always busy with his teaching but after everyday we would walk home together and share our days. When we arrived home we would talk about a variety of topics over dinner, his favorite was philosophy. Once dinner was done we would often play Gateway and continue our discussions. I love my father still, though I fear what might have happened to him since my exaltation

Where were you born?: On the blessed isle or the realm, whatever you prefer to call it.

How were you Exalted?: At the time I was serving as a private soldier for House Cathak and had been assigned to a scale lead by Cathak Jerin. One day we were called in to a satrapy because the city’s god had been causing unrest. We tried diplomacy but it was met with betrayal and our scale was forced to fight. Eventually it was only me and Jerin, my dragonblooded commander, and we thought we were destined to die but refused to go down easily so we attacked the god. When my sword cut into its flesh I was exalted and its only because of that that we survived.

How has power changed you?: Has it changed me? Its true that my ability with my voice and sword have been sharpened but beyond that I don’t think I have changed much. This world still needs help, I still desire to make all of creation a safer place and to promote peace to all of the people I meet. Yet even though I am considered Anathema in the blessed Isle I am still a patriot

What do you think of mortals?: Mortals are still my brothers and sisters. I was not born apart from them like other exalted. I was one of them, I am still one of them in mind, body, and soul. The only difference was that I was blessed with an exaltation that makes me much more able to lead the people to prosperity

What motivates you to be a hero?: Ive always wanted to make the world a better place. When I was just a normal person I enlisted in the Dynasts houses because I felt I could make the realm a bit safer. However my exaltation has broadened that view somewhat. Rather then worrying about the realm I can extend my ability to beyond the realm and perhaps effect all of creation

Who or what do you worship?: Nothing that comes to mind. While I am thankful to the unconquered sun for his favor he has never appeared before me. Nor have I found any other gods worthy of worship

What would drive you to commit murder?: I already have murdered in the name of the realm and for the safety of mortals and the dragonblooded houses. I believe I would kill again if it meant the lives of innocent people but few other reasons seem worthwhile to go that far. If people try to steal material possessions or land they can be driven off but driving off an enemy who looks to kill someone who can not protect themselves seems like a worthwhile reason to me. I despise having to commit such acts but soldiers must sometimes fight and even kill for the sake of others.

Name: Zanin Ortic
Caste: Eclipse
Concept: Charismatic swordsman and peace bringer
Motivation: To forge a lasting peace between all nations in Creation

Attributes
Strength 4      Charisma 4      Perception 2
Dexterity 3      Manipulation 3   Intelligence 2
Stamina 4      Appearance 3       Wits 3

%Notes a caste ability
*Notes a favored ability

Archery
Martial arts
Melee* 3
Thrown
War 2

Integrity* 3
Performance 1
Presence* 2
Resistance 2
Survival

Craft
Investigation 1
Lore 1
Medicine 1
Occult

Athletics* 2
Awareness 1
Dodge* 2
Larceny
Stealth

%Bureaucracy 3
%Linguistics 2
%Ride 1
%Sail
%Socialize 3

%Notes a caste skill
*Notes a favored skill

Specialties
Athletics: In armor

Compassion 3
Conviction 2
Temperance 2
Valor 2
Flaw: Compasionate Martyrdom

Backgrounds
Resources 4
Artifact (Daiklave) 2
Backing (cult of the illuminated) 2

Willpower 5/5
Essence 3
Personal 9/14
Peripheral 35/35
Committed 5

Soak 14B 10L A
Health levels
0 []
-1 [] [] []
-2 [] [] [] []
-4 []

War Gear
Orichalcum  Daiklave Speed 5 Accuracy +4 Damage +6 Defense +3 Rate 4
Plate & chain 8L/10B Mobility -4 Fatigue 3

Charms
First melee Excellency (1m per die)
Hungry tiger technique (1m)
Ox body technique
Whirlwind armor-donning prana (1m)
Righteous lion defense
Integrity-protecting prana (5m 1w)
Second Dodge Excellency (2m per success)
Sagacious Reading of intent (3m)
First socialize Excellency (1m per die)
Mastery of small manners (1m)

Combos

Bonus points
Essence 3 = 7
Resources 4 = 2
Buracracy 2 and 3 = 2
Charisma 4 = 4
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

AribethAmkiir

Welcome aboard Brandon.

So are people PMing their Charms and other stuff to RL or are the characters still being worked on?

Brandon

Mine is 100% done though I generally dont share mechanics with people except the GM.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

AribethAmkiir

Umm... okay.  I really hate that, especially since everything up to now has been done in the open with trust and respect.  I generally feel that people have a need to hide something things aren't all on the up and up, especially when we're all on the same team.  *shrugs*

I'll just trust Red Lobster, but I dislike starting a game like that. 

As for the whole "I do it so people don't metagame" argument, it again doesn't start the game in a positive environment.

BruceTheCat

In understand your point Aribeth, people have thus far been giving their entire character sheets on the open forum for all to see.

I don't think Brandon meant mistrust by it, I believe it's just what he's used to. Brandon, can you please edit your character post to also reflect your stats and charms as well? Thank you
- scribus1000

Brandon

Quote from: Red Lobster on July 05, 2012, 05:52:58 PM
In understand your point Aribeth, people have thus far been giving their entire character sheets on the open forum for all to see.

I don't think Brandon meant mistrust by it, I believe it's just what he's used to. Brandon, can you please edit your character post to also reflect your stats and charms as well? Thank you

Done.

The reason why I dont tend to share mechanics is people "critiquing" my characters. Ive had some very bad experiences here on Elliquiy with Exalted where people all but demanded I change certain things that I wasnt comfortable with. It became very unpleasant to the point that I could not enjoy playing in the games. After the second time I stopped sharing that information with other players

AribethAmkiir

I see.  I can understand that motivation for wanting to keep everything hidden.  I think we've got a good group here and hopefully no one will take it upon themselves to critique or say anything negative about any of the characters.

Thank you by the way.

BruceTheCat

I will have the first post up this evening.
- scribus1000

AKunoichi

So am i too late? I was at work yesterday but i have today off.

Brandon

Quote from: AK47 on July 06, 2012, 02:19:57 AM
So am i too late? I was at work yesterday but i have today off.

I think you are fine AK, write up your character. I only joined after I saw Roxy had decided to drop out so the numbers didnt really change

AribethAmkiir

What Brandon said.  I think RL is still counting you as a committed player.

AKunoichi

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24299180/Shines%20Brightly.pdf
Well I have a Zenith written up, But she's from An Teng and I might have a hard time explaning how she got halfway across creation while still at E2 without getting caught. (we are starting exalts right?)

I also have an idea for a Dawn Invincible sword princess, it's less smutty (although still has a lesbian romance plot hook), and I'd have to stat her up fresh, but she's native to the scavanger lands.
1. Appearance: A river province woman wearing a long red scarf and Indigo Bikini wielding a Reaper Diklave. Often accompanied by a younger woman wearing ninja gear
2. Exalt Type: Solar Dawn
3. Primary Attributes: Dexterity, Wits
4. Primary Skills: Melee, Dodge
5. Personality: Defiant, Clever self sacrificing
6. Backstory: Member of a secret society of vigilantes in the scavenger lands. Exalted when she continued to fight after guild mercenaries killed the rest of the clan, Now she is the last Red Scarf and fights to avenge them. Since her exaltation heaven has been disturbed with prophecies that she will eventually spell doom for all creation, and that she also cannot be killed through normal means. The solution to the problem that was decided upon was to craft a fate where she would allow herself to be killed to save her friends, Because her friends are already all dead, it was decided to provide her with one. A novice Siderial was sent to befriend The Red scarf, and to subtly guide her into trouble, eventually into a position where the solar would gladly give her life to save her new friend. But what happens if the plan works too well?
7. Epic Motivation: Avenge the red scarf society.

BruceTheCat

Which one are you going to go with AK? I don't so much care that how your character got to Nexus makes sense, just that they are in Nexus.
- scribus1000

BruceTheCat

First post is up guys!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=145252.0

Just a sort of introduction to the city, and it's state right now while I discover where each of you are.
- scribus1000

AKunoichi

Well I have one dot of allies, which is a Dragon blooded named Cynis Lalewira, I'm not sure if I finished her stats or not though, could somebody who knows DB look at it?

Anyways, Perhaps Lalewira has an airship or something, and when Shine had a vision that told her to go to nexus, she disguised herself as one of Lalewira's slaves and they all went on a journey. How many dots is an airship anyways?