Welcome Aboard the Moaning Molly! (Last Call for Crew! IC Starting Next Week!)

Started by Capone, August 30, 2015, 10:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etherealgirl

Capone

Quote from: eBadger on September 02, 2015, 09:59:39 AM
A nest of tiny fey mechanics...a war-veteran madame...a discredited doctor seeking an elusive cure...a burlesque stage magician...I've been going through a few permutations, I'm afraid.

The nest of tiny fey mechanics certainly have my curiosity. Wonder how that'd be pulled off?

QuoteFair 'nuff.  What's your notion story-wise?  Is there a plot, or are you intending this to be more of a sandbox?

Sort-of-sandbox. I hope to have the adventures organized in an episodic manner. One of the players already contributed an idea, and for players that have ideas for adventures, we'll likely have them plot the "episode" with the GM for any specifics, and have that player control any significant NPC's or monsters they'd like throughout the duration of it. I'm going to keep a Google Doc filled with these ideas as they come up, and try to keep every player's skills in mind to make sure everyone can in some way have a role to fill without also trying to rail-road everyone.

At the moment, I have no long-term plot goal, but that doesn't mean there won't be one eventually.

QuoteAh! This is the third time in two weeks someone has said something along those lines...is my netiquette off?  Is perusing posting history creepy now?  I do it all the time!  *Doesn't want to be Creeper*

Ha! I don't think it's creepy unless you do it obsessively. I just like to do a bit of research when joining or running a group game. ;)

Quote from: Etherealgirl on September 02, 2015, 10:24:39 AM
*Gasps and is all nakie!!*

A camera suddenly flashes.

Hey, who's taking pictures? You should stop that!

Prepares his camera to take another.

eBadger

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 10:45:43 AM
The nest of tiny fey mechanics certainly have my curiosity. Wonder how that'd be pulled off?

Pondering that a bit, too.  Either a hive mind or a chorus-like Many Voices or just pick one or two out to have personalities while the rest are background.  The basic notion is something from a novel I'm currently not writing; fairies as near-vermin in mindset - nesting in attics, collecting litter, scrounging scraps - but tolerated as sort of anti-gremlins; instead of delighting in the destruction of machinery, they're naturally drawn to preserve it with magic and savant-like abilities, repairing and maintaining and sometimes enhancing things in odd and unexpected directions. 

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 10:45:43 AMSort-of-sandbox. I hope to have the adventures organized in an episodic manner.

Adventures are good! 

Capone

MAIN TOPIC UPDATED!

Be sure to reread "Welcome Aboard!" in its entirety.

Mia H will be the Co-GM, so everyone give her a round of applause!

Character sheet code has been added, with the Captain presented as a sample. So feel free to start sending me your character sheets via PM.

Allows himself to finally slump back, sigh, and take a bit of a break.

Oh, almost a break: I have decided that Gnome "kingdoms" are basically small, capitalistic societies. They don't really have whole countries, just cities with surrounding territory that act as city-sized factories and offices. A very greedy and pragmatic race, leaders are determined by financial success. They lack empathy and pray to no Gods. However, they are completely willing to explore dark magic and use it for their own ends. So a gnome "kingdom" could be located within the borders of any race's land. In addition, they don't "war" with each other so much as compete in a typical capitalistic fashion.

bokotousamurai

Interest peaked!

I am obligated by fetish to ask if futanari is allowed, if it's not it's cool, I can settle for a male character since that's the rule, but I just want to check.

Also curious, has people's thought of their class/job? I like to be the Jack of all trades personally.
I'm the coolest nerd there is, and I don't care that that isn't an accomplishment.

Etherealgirl

Capone

Quote from: bokotousamurai on September 02, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
Interest peaked!

I am obligated by fetish to ask if futanari is allowed, if it's not it's cool, I can settle for a male character since that's the rule, but I just want to check.

Also curious, has people's thought of their class/job? I like to be the Jack of all trades personally.

If there's another player with an interest in Futanari's then by all means. I only recommend that you make sure you'll have a potential play partner for such occasions.

Quote from: Etherealgirl on September 02, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
I think I would like to try for 2nd in command, or navigator.

I'd say navigator for the time being. I'd rather see through the character concepts and pick a 2nd in Command from there.

It does suddenly come to mind: does anyone actually have a plan to play a brothel worker?

Eight88

Question, what is the level of technology and magic in this setting?

Was hoping to play a gunslinger type of fellow, with revolvers and magic items from Pathfinder. Like I sort of need a few magic items to make my character work.

Like if gnomes have factories does that mean mass production exists? Are there rail roads? Do the crew get rings of feather fall in case of airship emergency?

Also do we pm gm and co-gm together?

I am hoping to play a Magnum PI sort of arrangement. Where my character pays rent and tries to pay it off through service time to time. Or might try for a actual position. Should have a sheet done tonight. Or asap.

Edit; I have a idea about that, being a brothel worker I mean. Though let me get the sheet done before I run it by you.

Etherealgirl

Capone

Quote from: Eight88 on September 02, 2015, 01:49:11 PM
Question, what is the level of technology and magic in this setting?

Was hoping to play a gunslinger type of fellow, with revolvers and magic items from Pathfinder. Like I sort of need a few magic items to make my character work.

Like if gnomes have factories does that mean mass production exists? Are there rail roads? Do the crew get rings of feather fall in case of airship emergency?

Magical artifacts will be uncommon, and none of your characters will be in possession of any. This is largely fantasy with mild steampunk. Think something along the lines of the original Final Fantasy without the WarMech, or Final Fantasy IV minus the Tower of Babel, Walking Giant, and Whale Ship. Most magic will be of a more subtle nature. Not as subtle as Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, but for the most part, you're not going to see fireballs being slung willy-nilly. A magician would be more of an illusionist or alchemist, with real magic often being ritualistic ceremonies and/or requiring envgravings in ancient tongues.

I would say pistols are rare and single shot, requiring a ball to reload. No on rifles.

QuoteAlso do we pm gm and co-gm together?

I'll let Mia H answer that. I didn't want to burden her with perusing character sheets unless I felt I could use her input or perspective on something.

mia h

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 02:11:09 PM

Also do we pm gm and co-gm together?

I'll let Mia H answer that. I didn't want to burden her with perusing character sheets unless I felt I could use her input or perspective on something.
It's not really a burden, so feel free to pass them along. Also a second pair of eyes can't do that much damage.  ;D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Capone

Quote from: Etherealgirl on September 02, 2015, 01:52:53 PM
I might play a brothel worker. Just not sure yet.

By the way, in case anyone is waffling, I'm completely fine with characters being a brothel worker that is also some other job on the ship. Nothing is mutually exclusive.

Eight88

Righto, will send in that sheet in a few hours...probably around five. Got class in half a hour. Will be back ASAP.

Though hmm, by no rifles do you mean no rifling? As in the firearms technology is right now purely muzzleloading and smoothbore? So muskets and the like? What about other technologies? Do we have running water and plumbing? What's mild steampunk in this case?  ;D

Also about magical artifacts, right. No magical artifacts for PCs...I am going to need to rethink on how to do a core aspect of the character. I will run what I hope to do by you two ASAP.

Excuse me, off to school for me.

mia h

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 03:17:38 PM
By the way, in case anyone is waffling, I'm completely fine with characters being a brothel worker that is also some other job on the ship. Nothing is mutually exclusive.
... cause being a prostitute is fine when the ship is docked but what you gonna do with the rest of your time ?  ;D

Capone

Quote from: Eight88 on September 02, 2015, 03:20:40 PM
Though hmm, by no rifles do you mean no rifling? As in the firearms technology is right now purely muzzleloading and smoothbore? So muskets and the like?

Only cannons and pistols. :P

QuoteWhat about other technologies? Do we have running water and plumbing? What's mild steampunk in this case?  ;D

So difficult! :P

Closer in time period to Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings than Pirates of the Caribbean. So think more general fantasy setting with a bit of cog-and-wheel assisted by steam technology.

Note I'm not adhering religiously to any one time period, and am more considering aesthetic than anything. However, I want it to be more about magic than technology, but even then, magic should be something of wonderment still. Hence one of many reasons the Moaning Molly as a sentient ship is a secret, as the nature of it might otherwise drive most people into fear (and those that are aware of how it was made would seek to destroy it as something evil). And no, this doesn't mean that anything resembling magic is to be burned for witchcraft. :P

QuoteAlso about magical artifacts, right. No magical artifacts for PCs...I am going to need to rethink on how to do a core aspect of the character. I will run what I hope to do by you two ASAP.

I'll give a look at what you got and will let you know from there.

Also: updating the character sheet template with a spot for sexual orientation, as I had forgotten about that.

eBadger

Quote from: bokotousamurai on September 02, 2015, 01:36:07 PMAlso curious, has people's thought of their class/job?

I'm going with the fairy idea, so mechanic-ish; although there's room for another there, as my fey will be more symbiotic infestation than responsible crew. 

It would make sense for the, ah, 'workers' to have actual crew roles as well, considering the nature of the brothel. 

Edit:

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 03:34:11 PMCloser in time period to Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings

Erm...neither of those are even remotely steampunk...but I think I get you.  Are my tinkerer-fairies going to work in this, though?

Capone

Quote from: eBadger on September 02, 2015, 03:35:26 PM
Erm...neither of those are even remotely steampunk...but I think I get you.  Are my tinkerer-fairies going to work in this, though?

Perhaps I'm misusing "Steampunk" in regards to a primitive technology seeming advanced for its time period. Wouldn't be surprising. Most of what's referred to as Steampunk barely seems to even involve Steam!

I'll see if I can come up with details as to the technological advancement. I've got the D&D 3.5 Eberron book that I can perhaps use as a reference point that others may be more familiar with.

As for the Tinkerer Fairies, it's still possible for them to work. The airship works as a sort of fusion of magic and engineering, which could actually be what draws these particular fey to airships at all. Do be sure to include Mia H on that particular PM, however, due to the nature it will have in interacting with the ship.

mia h

It's probably worth mentioning that sentient ships have a really, really bad reputation, to the point where most people wouldn't get aboard one even if you paid them. So characters might not know about the ship being being sentient or know what Molly is; if people knew it'd be bad for business amongst other things.

Chulanowa

Have to say, I'm rather interested as well. And bokotousamurai, I can tell you there's at least one person here who has no problem whatsoever with futanari characters  ;D

Speaking of,

Capone, how dedicated are you to the "lords play males, ladies play females" thing?

Ghostraven

This looks like it could be fun. I'll see if I can think of a suitable character. :-)

TTYL

Ghostraven

Chreestafer

Still interested, probably gonna go the mercenary for hire to protect the ship.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Eight88

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 03:34:11 PM
Only cannons and pistols. :P

So difficult! :P

Closer in time period to Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings than Pirates of the Caribbean. So think more general fantasy setting with a bit of cog-and-wheel assisted by steam technology.

Note I'm not adhering religiously to any one time period, and am more considering aesthetic than anything. However, I want it to be more about magic than technology, but even then, magic should be something of wonderment still. Hence one of many reasons the Moaning Molly as a sentient ship is a secret, as the nature of it might otherwise drive most people into fear (and those that are aware of how it was made would seek to destroy it as something evil). And no, this doesn't mean that anything resembling magic is to be burned for witchcraft. :P

I'll give a look at what you got and will let you know from there.

Also: updating the character sheet template with a spot for sexual orientation, as I had forgotten about that.

On phone. Just got out of class. Right...but that makes no sense that cannon and pistols exist, but muskets do not...like do you mean only pistols and cannon will be available or are you saying those things do not exist?

Just saying. If there were such a thing, pistols would not exist of muskets do not...I think?

As for the steampunk thing. I think the term you want is dungeon punk. Steam punk would need steam and the cusp of a industrial revolution. And even then by the way you phrase things, even Eberron might not be a right fit? Because Games of Thrones is very very much more primative a astheics. Just saying.

Apologies for the curt tone. Hard to post in cellphone.

Capone

No problem, they're very good questions. I play it by ear, basically, a sort of "rule of cool" if you will. I wrote up a whole bunch of stuff in a Google Doc that I have shared with Mia H, and after getting feedback I'll be including it here detailing technology and magic in the setting.

However, you've actually got my mind going, and I think potential plot concepts for an on-going story are beginning to form. So, for now, please believe in the rule of cool, and I'll have more in-depth information on the setting throughout the week.

I'm sorry for causing confusion with a vague sense of "this sort of fantasy". I'll be correcting the original post to replace steamwork with terms like "Clockwork Tech", as it's primarily based on cogs and gears similarly to how a clock functions. As for the whole guns, I have an explanation for it, but unfortunately I cannot give the full explanation without giving away some story concepts. So forgive me.

Eight88

Quote from: Capone on September 02, 2015, 07:24:55 PM
I'm sorry for causing confusion with a vague sense of "this sort of fantasy". I'll be correcting the original post to replace steamwork with terms like "Clockwork Tech", as it's primarily based on cogs and gears similarly to how a clock functions. As for the whole guns, I have an explanation for it, but unfortunately I cannot give the full explanation without giving away some story concepts. So forgive me.

Okay. Clockwork tech, so springs, gears, weights, and tension...though hmm...do you still mean Games of Thrones and Lord of the Rings though? Those in themselves are two different aesthetics, and not really a fit for what is suggested so far in my opinion. Sorry to say.

Like, for the sort of adventures that include airship swashbuckling and brothel escapades, I would think something closer to Pirates of the Caribbean would be appropriate, if only because the culture was moving towards a industrial revolution in someway. Like that was set in the early 1700s if I recall. If only because a larger part of the population has access to the disposable income to go to the traveling brothel.

I mean, Game of Thrones is a much more brutish harsher primitive edge, most common people live with thatch roofs and dirt floors and there's no such thing as basic knowledge of sanitation or things like that. And not a lot of people would have the disposable income to peruse a brothel.

Apologies for picking at that thread, I will stop now.

Capone

No, it's perfectly understandable. It's largely why I'd much rather refer to Final Fantasy I or IV, as when I think "airships" I think the aesthetic of those games, which is somewhere around that medieval era. Then there's Final Fantasy IX, which is more Renaissance I believe in its appearance.

I intentionally wanted to step away from references to pirating best I could, because when I think airships, I don't think of pirates or navy or anything of the sort. My first introduction to the airship was pure Tolkien-esque fantasy (as imagined by Japanese), and so that's the setting's primary inspiration. I also grew up with the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit cartoons, so essentially, my default mentality on "fantasy" is LotR and early Final Fantasy.

In other words, it's inspired by false worlds first, then grabs from more realistic equivalents.

I say Game of Thrones because it is medieval and has a lot of the same appearance, just closer to real life than the other influences.

If it helps, think something along this line, only the option for much less stylized armor and absolutely no whale ship heading for the moon. Or, in a lot of ways I'm envisioning something along these lines, where it straddles between eras (seriously I bet you any Historian could look at that video and point out all kinds of things that are decades or even a century or more apart).