RWBY Unofficial Tabletop RPG

Started by Florence, February 09, 2016, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sain

Hype! Hoping for forums too, live tends to be difficult to pull off with these timezone differences. Otherwise, whatever works for you works for me.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Leodran

Well the overwhelming favourite seems to be forums, which is fine by me. My schedule can get a bit hectic, but a forum game can stay active for a few days withough me. I'm thinking on top of normal forum I'll try to schedule blocks of time I can devote to the RP in order to do group events, like a full class, group battle, etc.

I'm open to different options, but I'm thinking setting it 2-3 years before the series would be good. The teachers and staff at beacon are the same, but students are different. Maybe later in the RP we can cameo a first year team CVFY.

Sain

Sounds cool. I do tend to prefer to go descriptive with forum games myself, but a fast based one would be nice too if we manage to pull of periods of higher activity somehow :-)

So we're first year students then? Any specific preferences for characters?

Atkinson

For me the forums are ideal.  My schedule can be pretty erratic,  so arranging a set time can really be tricky!

AU 1st years would be great, I think.  I've got a fox tailed faunus with a sword or two in mind, if that's okay.

Florence

Quote from: Atkinson on March 04, 2016, 10:50:40 AM
For me the forums are ideal.  My schedule can be pretty erratic,  so arranging a set time can really be tricky!

AU 1st years would be great, I think.  I've got a fox tailed faunus with a sword or two in mind, if that's okay.

Haha, I was thinking of a fox-eared faunus xP

She'd be the more punchy type, though.

I was going to use her for a different rp on another site that never sort of panned out.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Revelation

Awesome! This might actually be getting off the ground!

Not sure what i'd play yet, I made a character for an older RWBY game on the forums, but it sputtered out. I might remake him a bit, or perhaps make a new character. Either way, as far as weapons go, maybe tonfas that can be used as revolvers, a longsword that can collapse into a shotgun, or a more heavy spear/lance that can be used as a cannon ala gunlances from monster hunters. Since we seem to have some Faunus players, i'd probably go with human.

Atkinson

Quote from: Florence on March 04, 2016, 11:06:28 AM
Haha, I was thinking of a fox-eared faunus xP

She'd be the more punchy type, though.

I was going to use her for a different rp on another site that never sort of panned out.

Ahahaha.  I'm also in the same boat: general character idea from a different rp that never really took off!  It wasn't for a RWBY game though, so there'll definitely be some RWBYization taking place!

FarFetched

My personal plan was to play a human(atlas) male beefcake with a super heavy hammer with a dust barrel on one end.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Revelation

As far as year goes, I don't mind first year at all, either.

Sain

Quote from: FarFetched on March 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM
My personal plan was to play a human(atlas) male beefcake with a super heavy hammer with a dust barrel on one end.

Omg this character sounds awesome :D

I was thinking of using
for sort of mechanic/tinkerer. Weapon would be long range mortar/jackhammer made into punching gloves with more focus on ranged than melee so probably wouldn't overlap too much with whatever puncher Florence planned.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: Sain on March 04, 2016, 01:20:39 PM
I was thinking of using
for sort of mechanic/tinkerer. Weapon would be long range mortar/jackhammer made into punching gloves with more focus on ranged than melee so probably wouldn't overlap too much with whatever puncher Florence planned.

That character is SO AWESOME. :D

I have no idea what I'll roll with (apart from human female), so I'll probably wait until everyone else has something and fill in the gaps.

Revelation

I'm basically malleable, but since it sounds like we kinda have...

1 sword user
2 fist type characters (One being more ranged focus)
1 heavy weapons/hammer guy

I may go with the tonfas since they're a bit of a mix and a little different from the rest. Thinking my character is from a rather poor off family, not really hunters or anything. He's kinda put his heart into being a hunter just to make a difference in the world, having made his own weapons and all. Not exactly an engineering genius or anything, but much more deterministic and dedicated to fighting, still. Not sure on pic or anything yet - but he'd be the athletic type over a beefcake or being super lithe or anything. Though its RWBY so he'll be a prettyboy.

Florence

Quote from: FarFetched on March 04, 2016, 01:07:27 PM

YES. DO IT. DO IT DO IT DO IT.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Florence

So, any thoughts on handling Teams and such?

Revelation

Teams would be a bit of a challenge it seems. Right now we have 6 people who have posted interest since we have a gm interested in running, so that'd be enough for 2 and a half teams. Npcs filling the gap of teams? Or something else?

FarFetched

Retcon the world to have 3 man teams instead of 4 man teams? It'd be easy to get the last two if we posted this on the LF player forums, though it's up to the GM if he thinks he can handle a whopping 8 people.

Sain

3 person cells might actually keep game running smoother too.

ThisOneGal

When we move to formalized chargen, we could see how many people still show up for it. There might be some attrition.

Revelation

Might be! But let's hope not. I've been in or am in a group game with at least one or two others here, good players!

FarFetched

Just had a thought- what if the two fox-Fauna are actually related and have lots of sibling rivalry stuff? That could be funny.

Florence

Quote from: FarFetched on March 04, 2016, 07:24:16 PM
Just had a thought- what if the two fox-Fauna are actually related and have lots of sibling rivalry stuff? That could be funny.

That could work! Its worth noting, though, that she's particularly a white fox faunus (her color scheme is white and black).

Funny enough, in my first version of the character, Baijiu had a sister... but she was ded.

What I have on the character so far is that her name is Baijiu Kissui. Baijiu adheres to the color theme by literally translating from Chinese as "White Liquor" and refers to a clear type of Chinese liquor. Kissui was suggested as a surname half-jokingly from a friend, after I had decided on "Baijiu" as a given name. Its a brand of Japanese vodka that translates to "Absolutely Pure", thus her name (if read surname first) could basically be seen as essentially meaning "Absolutely Pure White Liquor", albeit in two different languages.

Other than that, she was originally from Atlas, though that could be changed in this version of the character. She didn't like the way Atlas' academy was tied into the military, so she actually moved to Patch to attend Signal before graduating to attend Beacon. Her family was pretty poor, and she's had first hand experience with the sort of discrimination Faunus face.

I'd had some other details in mind, but if there's any interest in playing a sibling of hers, we can work all that out.

Atkinson

Siblings was something I'd briefly considered, and now that someone else has also mentioned it, it's totally a good idea that I could definitely be on board with!

Although the character image
I'd had in mind is a little all over the place color-wise at the moment, I figured I'd be doing a little bit of photoshopping before all was said and done to give her a more specific color theme, and giving her a white tail to match her sister would be a snap!  Ironically, the names I've been mulling over have been white-ish sounding ones, "LeBlanc", "Argent", and such. (Haven't really settled on a first name yet.)  Those hood-ears are actually just part of the hood, since she has normal human ears.

I figured also she'd be from some sort of disadvantaged background and has had her share of Faunus discrimination, but she's largely undiminished by it.  Not a fan of the White Fang, and definitely not involved with their activities.

Three person names might make for some really tricky team name combinations, but if that's what people would like to do, that's fine with me.  I'm just as okay being on a team with an NPC or two to make it work, in truth!  Gunning for a spot on the Giant Male Beefcake Team!  (GMBT!  Team Gambit! - Although this isn't a color, I know.)

Revelation

Yeah, thatis one small thing. If we go with the color based names (Which seems kinda important to RWBY, every character/team name is meant to evoke a color of course), 3 word teams kinda limits that! but, it's up to te DM. I mean, I don't really mind a 3 person team. Stretching canon a lil bit but it can be dolled up as experimental, smaller teams or something. Though, it's hardly something to put a campaign on hold, or anything!

My character and Atikinson's/Florence's (if they go with the siblings idea) might also have some common ground if they come from disadvantaged/troubles lives. He certainly wouldn't say he's had it as hard as a faunus, but, having grown up in more dire straits, he could certainly understand some of where she comes from, but he's also working to rise above that himself, and to better the lives of others by hunting down Grimm.

Florence

I don't have an image for Baijiu, but I did write up descriptive stuff for her old version. Here's what I had.

Outfit
A long sleeve black hoodie, with a white t-shirt underneath it, though she usually wears it zipped up. She often keeps the hood down, not making any effort to hide the fox ears atop her head. She wears a monochrome plaid pleated skirt over a pair of black jeans. Beneath that, she wears a pair of sloppily-tied black and white sneakers.

Appearance
Baijiu is a white fox faunus, and as such, has a pair of snowy fox ears atop her head, matching the color of her hair, wavy and reaching down to her shoulders. Her skin is lightly tanned, often looking darker when in viewed in contrast to her hair. She has a slim build, with noticeable, though not bulging muscles. When wearing clothing that exposes her midriff, she has noticeable abs. Despite that, she still maintains an overall feminine appearance, helped in part by her tendency to wear a hoodie that conceals much of her upper body.

In terms of her face, her most distinctive feature is her aquiline nose which, while not particularly large, does give her face a distinctive profile. Her almond-shaped eyes are a sky blue, but with a distinct golden ring around the irises. Overall, she has a somewhat long face and thin lips, evocative of her faunus type.

Personality
Baijiu grew up experiencing first hand the discrimination and hardship faced by her kind. She was affected by it directly through bullying, and indirectly, though the experiences her parents faced trying to find work and keep food on the table. Being faced with that sort of hardship and, at times, outright hatred, she learned to put on a calm face and act like nothing bothered her. At times this can make her seem chill and relaxed, others it can make her seem cold and unfeeling. Likewise, her explanation for looking to become a huntress is equally non-committal, simply expressing a desire to enjoy the rush of battle in a constructive and helpful way. Whether or not that's true is something that perhaps not even she is truly certain of.

Combat wise, she wields a pair of white metal gauntlets called Huli and Jing (a reference to the huli jing, Chinese folkloric fox spirits comparable to the Japanese kitsune or Korean gumiho) which in this incarnation I'm thinking might double as grenade launchers. I'm thinking her semblance might short range teleportation, which would nicely compliment her agile brawler fighting style.

Also, what would we say about their ages? One could have skipped ahead like Ruby, or they could be twins.

Revelation

Okay, so this is also kinda rough but just tossing out some info for my character and his weapon out there, just to see thoughts. I don't intend to step on anyones toes, honest!

Name: Vance Tanner (Color: White/vanilla)
Age: dependant on what year we are, but in his late teens more than likely

Appearance
Tall, athletic, lean – good words to describe him. A young man, his face has a hint of maturity that belies his years, deep blue eyes framed by dark hair, giving a stark contrast. Standing at about six feet (give or take an inch), and when not wearing the school uniform, he can usually be found in heavier clothes. Long sleeved shirts, a light jacket, and almost always with a scarf, even in the school uniform – he likes to dress warmly, only wearing less during the spring and summer when heat demands it. While not heavily muscular, he has an athletic build with toned arms and legs, broad shoulders leading in to a firm chest and abs, it’s clear he keeps trained and fit.

Personality
Those unfamiliar with him might pin him as the soulful, melancholy type. That would be quite wrong – Vance tends to be friendly and open, a more optimistic personality making itself evident when talking to him. Thanks to his upbringing, he sought to not let his situation bring him down, and now that he has a chance to prove himself more he’ll take it. A risk taker, he likes to take things head on, and is not deterred easily. If he is challenged, he rises to it. If he cannot beat said challenge, he will at least try to see the upside in the situation. In battle however, his personality changes. Whether it’s a small matter of bloodlust or determination, he seeks to take down Grimm with dedicated zeal.

Weapon
The travailler A heavy weapon/gunlance of his own design. Lacking the pure elegance and transforming qualities other weapons have, the  travailler is a weapon meant for heavy force, thrusting strikes, and devastating charges. Held with both hands by a hilt and a grip on the side, it can be swung in a number of ways, with the bayonet of the weapon working much the way a heavy spear would. The overslung barrel is not for show, as the gun has been modified to accept and use red dust. Firing explosive rounds, the weapon is meant as portable ordinance, though firing it in such a state brings heavy recoil and makes Vance immobile whilst preparing to fire, and using the ranged weapon. While it cannot transform, it can collapse and fold in half, making it easier to carry when necessary.

Semblance
N/A, a flaw in his skills, Vance has not been able to tap into his Semblance yet, much to his chagrin. He tries not to let it get to him, but it's frustrating at times!

stats

Str: 5
End: 4
Dis: 3
Per:2
Agi: 1
Will: 1

History wise, he's probably from vale. Like I said, grew up in poverty - maybe realized from an early age that maybe being a hunter was the best bet he had on making it through. Perhaps his family owned an old, crude weapon - travailler in a much shabbier state, and in between training with it then, and rebuilding it/upgrading it, he sought to become a hunter himself. Still working more on the specifics.