Acquisitions Incorporated [D&D 3.5 Homebrew]

Started by Cythieus, October 22, 2009, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cythieus

A mysterious army of undead presses further across the the land leaving a blood tinted tide in their wake and while the battle lines are drawn far from home, far from where you are a wealthy retired adventurer approaches you one day in admiration, says he has a job for you...says he can promise you'll be rich and all he needs is your service as a mercenary, or a treasure hunter, or a guard for hire, or just as baby sitters.

What he needs is you to work for him, doing the odd jobs and keeping a big cut of the cash when each is done. Even in the midsts of the threat that you might all be doused by the tide of war...

This is a D&D game with a few tweaked and modified rules with a focus on Role Playing and character interaction, but also with combat being tossed into the mix. More than likely there will be about five PC's in the game, creation rules will be posted...sometime later as will accepted sources.

More than anything this is just an interest check, CWand and Kyrsia running games got me back in for running one too and with the number of people around here interested I doubt any of us will have trouble keeping a full roster. The map for the setting is above, the party will start in the center town, which is yet to be named. A dead line for character sheets will be set when the next thread is posted and there will be links to the next thread posted here.

Brandon

Im very interested but before I commit to anything I would like to see a full list of modified rules, sources, and starting info like starting level, money, etc
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Katina Tarask

I'm interested, as you already know, though there is a chance of rules being a deal-breaker.  I'm leaning in a magey direction.

PhantomPistoleer

I would like to see the rules, too.  I wish you well, Odin!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Cythieus

Glad to see some interest, the rules would be more or less small things, some of them might even go out the door if its too hated. For one, the starting level will more than likely be one but could be as high as three. [1-3] And then there is the question of sources...

PHB
PHB II
Complete Series
Eberron Players Guide (races only (Warforged and Changeling))
Magic of Faerun (special materials only)
Libris Mortis
Races series
Heroes of Battle

...just to name a few.

Starting gold will be set at 200 for all classes, (if level 1). Some of the house rules will be things like double HD on creation (two full hit die) and we'd be using the Half Elf from Pathfinder.

PhantomPistoleer

What about attributes?

What if starting level is more than 1?  What would the starting GP be then?

And, could MINIATURES be admitted?  I would want to celebrate the Marshall.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chloe Milev

I saw the name and was compelled to check this out.  So would this be a series of small jobs, rather than more of a campaign-long adventure?  I'm also interested to see the modifications to focus on roleplaying are.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

SinXAzgard21

I want in... I live to kill the UNDEAD!!!!! Please?
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Cythieus

Ah I honestly don't think about minatures, but sure, I might just make a list of starting classes that are acceptable outside of the PHB ones to be honest.

If we go higher, I will allow standard goal for that level. And attributes might be array based (but people tend to not like that, there's no variety) so for now we'll say they are rolled. If that takes we'll use the honor system. Right now the only books I am ruling out in terms of character creation are Exalted Deeds, Vile Darkness, Tome of Magic, Book of Erotic Fantasy and Tome of Battle.

What that means is that in regards to feats and character creation, those are off limits.

PhantomPistoleer

Then pencil me in for a Half-Elf Marshall, please!

But I'd be willing to submit a character background before being accepted into the group.  :D
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Katina Tarask

No BoEF?  Boo.  Maybe little things from BoEF by approval?  I like a lot of that stuff, and not even for completely smut-centric characters.

And if rolling is declared the standard, I'd like to request either a point buy or an array be put in place as an alternative.  I despise rolling for stats.  I hate when the dice say I can't make the character I want.

Brandon

Damn thats a shame, Exalted deeds is my favorite book. Alright well I dont mind if its first level, it gives us a greater chance to build a party that knows each other and has faced true hardship with one another.

I also prefer point buy to determine attribute scores since it makes everyone pretty much equal
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cythieus

I said no for character classes and feats from BoEF. Which makes sense. We don't need classes that will be distracting from the actual game. The options for spells and the like you can take later or the items, but the actual classes are out.

And if we do rolls, it will be 4d6 reroll 1s and drop the lowest. If we do Stat Array I will end up rolling for it more than likely :P

Katina Tarask

Perhaps multiple arrays, with differing degrees of variance?

And nixing feats is still a pretty big cut, particularly for Exalted Deeds; case-by-case, perhaps?

Personally, I think level 3 is the best place to start, since the Rogue/Ranger can actually be the Rogue/Ranger at that point, folks are actually starting to be what they're supposed to, 2nd-level spells are coming into play, there's some gold to swish around, and you're past the killer housecat.

Elven Sex Goddess

Still openings, if so like to play a bard. 

Katina Tarask

*Was considering Bard herself.*

I vote for everyone playing Bards for a bardtastic bardtacular that we may slay the undead with the power of rock!

Cythieus

Quote from: Katina Tarask on October 22, 2009, 09:12:14 PM
Perhaps multiple arrays, with differing degrees of variance?

And nixing feats is still a pretty big cut, particularly for Exalted Deeds; case-by-case, perhaps?

Personally, I think level 3 is the best place to start, since the Rogue/Ranger can actually be the Rogue/Ranger at that point, folks are actually starting to be what they're supposed to, 2nd-level spells are coming into play, there's some gold to swish around, and you're past the killer housecat.

I got rid of exalted deeds because of the fact that it's a lot easier and has a lot less arguing attached to it if you're not working case by case on feats and you do away with an entire group. Same goes for Vile Feats.

And people have 2HD, so for the sake of strike, they're level 2 already. Starting at level 1 isn't all that bad, it means you're starting at the start, it cuts down on minimaxing and power gaming and the first three levels progress quickly.

Also if we used multiple stat arrays people would pick the one with the best numbers. So its best to just use one and let people move stats where they will.

They would be something like this:
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,5] = (16)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,4] = (15)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,6,5] = (17)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,4,3] = (13)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [4,4,3] = (11)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,3] = (14)

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on October 22, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
Still openings, if so like to play a bard. 

there are a lot of openings.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Katina Tarask on October 22, 2009, 09:01:55 PM
I despise rolling for stats.  I hate when the dice say I can't make the character I want.

Agreed.  Don't get me started.   >:(

Cythieus

I don't know how you guys would have lasted in AD&D2 when the dice literally told you what race and class you could be.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Odin on October 22, 2009, 10:14:33 PM
I don't know how you guys would have lasted in AD&D2 when the dice literally told you what race and class you could be.

I didn't.  I was gone with the first point buy system I found.   ;D

Come to think of it, I do not think I lasted to second edition.

Brandon

Quote from: Odin on October 22, 2009, 10:14:33 PM

Uh, sorry no man. I was a second edition player and DM and at no time in the Character creation process do you roll to determine your race or class. Perhaps that was a 1st edition thing, I don't know since I didn't play it, but I know for sure that AD&D (aka 2nd edition D&D) didn't have that feature.

My reasoning for point buy is that it keeps everyone equal as well as giving everyone some leeway to customize their own character for their role in the group. When you roll dice its completely random. You could come up with a character that's supernaturally effective for their roll or a totally gimped character.

At this current point in time I'm considering 1 of 2 options. A tattooed barbarian with skills focused in wilderness survival as well as putting an opponent down as quickly as he can. Or a sorcerer/wizard mix whos natural charisma makes him a face man for the group as well as natural intellgence makes him an in depth scholar in a variety of topics

Cythieus

Actually, yes they did. Break out your book, but certain races have a minimum requirement for that race. Also, some people took rolls in the order they came at character creation.

And this is for the classes:  fighter = str 9 min, Paladin = str 12 min con 9 min wis 9 min and char 17 min

Races had them too.

Also we're going to be rolling dice in combat, its no different, it could be really kind to someone and be really bad on others.

Elven Sex Goddess

Agree, a point buy  be more balanced way in keeping all of said characters in relative range.   

So  it is 1st level with 2xHP max.     An leaning towards 5d6 keep high 3 with arranging how you want it.

QuoteRoll Result: Elven Sex Goddes rolled: 5d6, keeping 3 dice
Comment: Keep three highest
Result: 5, 6, 5, 2, 1,
Total: 16

Roll Result: Elven Sex Goddes rolled: 5d6, keeping 3 dice
Result: 6, 1, 5, 3, 3,
Total: 14

Result: 3, 6, 4, 3, 4,
Total: 14

Result: 6, 2, 1, 4, 6,

Result: 3, 3, 4, 4, 1,
Total: 11

Result: 2, 5, 6, 5, 3,

I guess I can live with the 5d6 keep high 3 way.   ;)

PhantomPistoleer

:o  Second Level Marshall with Half-Elf from Pathfinder would be awesome.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Cythieus

Lol and these stats are an issue for you?

5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,5] = (16)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,4] = (15)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,6,5] = (17)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,4,3] = (13)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [4,4,3] = (11)
5d6.takeHighest(3) → [6,5,3] = (14)