News:

Main Menu

VHS

Started by Sabby, October 01, 2012, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Has anyone seen this yet? It's getting really conflicting reviews, the 1s and 10s of the scale. I just saw it myself, and I'd recommend it, but damn is it a weird film...

Okay, think Blair Witch Project meets Call of Duty: Black Ops. Only with even less structure. Yes, you heard that right >.> Let me explain.

From what I can tell, it's 6 short films from an indie film makers festival, all of which were POV stories. They have absolutely no relation, whether in plot, tone or themes, and they REALLY vary in quality. There's only one that I felt was a complete waste of time, but the first one set a high benchmark the movie couldn't seem to make good on.

But the biggest flaw is the framing device. These 6 stories, completely unrelated, one not even remotely supernatural, are all connected by one of the laziest plots I've ever seen. A group of small time thugs are hired to go into a house and steal a video tape. They find a dead guy in front of a wall of TV's and mountains of tape. They start sifting through them, and eventually all get killed off screen without anyone else noticing them gone.

I honestly think this would have been better without the haunted house over-plot. It adds nothing, and just brings up questions it has no intention of answering. Very lazy approach.

But the short films themselves are very good! With the exception of the Paranormal-Activity-Through-Skype segment, they were all worth watching.

Oniya

Sounds a little like the original Heavy Metal - very little connection between the stories (well, sex and the Loc-nar), and an overplot that made little sense.

I might give it a whirl if I can track it down.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I'll give some advice. Don't watch the trailers. They spoil pretty much every good scene.

Oniya

Is this an 'in theaters now' thing, or is it something I'll have to find in the stores?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I checked IBM, and the only listed USA release was 'limited'. The rest seem to be at film festivals. So I have no idea how else you'd get it outside of a torrent.

tozhma

I've been interested in this since I heard about it, but I think I'll save it for rental, or Blue-Ray if it really develops a reputation.

sleepingferret

lol...until I read Sabby's original post, I thought this was about VHS tapes.

I'm going to go wander over to some corner and die laughing now.

Sabby

Just started up V/H/S 2. Off to a good start, though the first segment is a bit silly.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They used a bionic eye to get around having the character use a camera. No, this isn't sci-fi.