The Labyrinth: Next Generation (Recruitment: Very actively recruiting)

Started by LamentingQuill, September 15, 2013, 06:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorneblood

I am weary of planning and toiling in the crowded hives of men; Heart weary of building and spoiling and spoiling and building again; And I long for the dear old river where I dreamed my youth away; For a dreamer lives forever, And a toiler dies in a day.

On/Off

LamentingQuill

LamentingQuill

Still looking for a little more royalty before I open the OOC and character thread, no worries over a character sheet, I will post one up in the OOC when it goes up.

Izabella

Sounds great, love. I'm sure you'll get a few more. The idea is quite lovely. :)

Is there truth in emotion or is it so blatantly false that it moves and stretches us to become the monster tomorrow that we foster today?

LamentingQuill

I'd like to get at least two more princesses and two more princes before I open up the OOC and Character thread,

Chaosfox

There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Thorneblood

I am weary of planning and toiling in the crowded hives of men; Heart weary of building and spoiling and spoiling and building again; And I long for the dear old river where I dreamed my youth away; For a dreamer lives forever, And a toiler dies in a day.

On/Off

Izabella

Ummm yes. Looking like that I'd offer some soft curve for you to sink your teeth deep into. ;)

Is there truth in emotion or is it so blatantly false that it moves and stretches us to become the monster tomorrow that we foster today?

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 18, 2013, 09:28:34 PM
I like to bite!

*stares a few moments* Which part of me would you like to bite first?

Thorneblood

*Takes her hand in his own, soft hazel staring into her dreamy gaze before he slowly lowers his lips while bringing Quill's arm upward, a gentle kiss laid upon her skin before he bites her wrist then proceeds downward in a teasing fashion.*

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 18, 2013, 10:01:44 PM
*Takes her hand in his own, soft hazel staring into her dreamy gaze before he slowly lowers his lips while bringing Quill's arm upward, a gentle kiss laid upon her skin before he bites her wrist then proceeds downward in a teasing fashion.*

Keep that up and I may have to snag you for Melody right now, lmao! XD

Thorneblood

Mmmm good point. Such actions are not really befitting an Unseelie prince are they?

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 18, 2013, 10:35:16 PM
Mmmm good point. Such actions are not really befitting an Unseelie prince are they?

Actually, I could see an Unseelie acting that way. They already have a bad rep, who cares what anyone thinks anymore? ;)

LamentingQuill

I am think I am going to go with this for Melody.

Thorneblood

True, but i would hope an Unseelie Prince would bite you harder.....

She's cute....but she seems like the sort i would chain up in my chambers for obvious sexual reasons....

This seems more regal, but thats me...

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 18, 2013, 10:48:16 PM
True, but i would hope an Unseelie Prince would bite you harder.....

She's cute....but she seems like the sort i would chain up in my chambers for obvious sexual reasons....

This seems more regal, but thats me...

Not for Jareth's daughter. I like the pic I have because she has Jareth's hair color and Sarah's eyes.

Thorneblood

Ah i see what you mean......then I dig it.

Out of curiosity....would this work for my "human" form?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

And would you be opposed if i was able to shape shift into this?

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 18, 2013, 11:18:35 PM
Ah i see what you mean......then I dig it.

Out of curiosity....would this work for my "human" form?

And would you be opposed if i was able to shape shift into this?

The human is great, but... I don't think the fey are intended to be shape shifters...

Angie

Quote from: LamentingQuill on September 18, 2013, 11:20:24 PM
The human is great, but... I don't think the fey are intended to be shape shifters...
Depends. I could crack open my Changling: The Lost book and figure out exactly what power would do it. However, since you, oh Quilly one, are basically expanding the Labyrinth world, what we can do is up to you.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Angiejuusan on September 18, 2013, 11:29:54 PM
Depends. I could crack open my Changling: The Lost book and figure out exactly what power would do it. However, since you, oh Quilly one, are basically expanding the Labyrinth world, what we can do is up to you.

I'd prefer they couldn't, it kind of steps on the werewolves toes a bit, makes them less special. I think I'll say no to the fey being able to shape shift.

Thorneblood

It would depend on which version of the Unseelie you intended on using as the basis of the race in this setting. Traditionally speaking the Unseelie were the "Dark Fae" and generally considered to be evil or at least malevolent. They were also largely thought to be half breeds as opposed to the pure Seelie court as it is believed by some that Fey could interbreed with anything and produce a viable offspring. They tended to represent aspects of nature like death, decay and winter and their physical forms were at times monstrous, beautiful or ethereal. While the Seelie court was very much about purity and beauty, they were not always considered to be the "good" guys but were at times seen as being akin to royals or those of noble birth and only had respect for those who were exactly like them while all other lesser Fey and Humans were at best loyal subjects to rule wisely and at worse lowly subjects to use for their own edification.

Outside of the traditional powers of Glamour which all Fey are reputed to possess, individual Seelie and Unseelie were also considered to possess all manner of powers and abilities ranging from Flight to Precognition and Shapeshifting. It was also believe that the Unseelie King (or perhaps in this case Prince) was able to call upon the Slaugh (a group of assassins and monsters) if he was angered or feeling vindictive.

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 12:19:19 AM
It would depend on which version of the Unseelie you intended on using as the basis of the race in this setting. Traditionally speaking the Unseelie were the "Dark Fae" and generally considered to be evil or at least malevolent. They were also largely thought to be half breeds as opposed to the pure Seelie court as it is believed by some that Fey could interbreed with anything and produce a viable offspring. They tended to represent aspects of nature like death, decay and winter and their physical forms were at times monstrous, beautiful or ethereal. While the Seelie court was very much about purity and beauty, they were not always considered to be the "good" guys but were at times seen as being akin to royals or those of noble birth and only had respect for those who were exactly like them while all other lesser Fey and Humans were at best loyal subjects to rule wisely and at worse lowly subjects to use for their own edification.

Outside of the traditional powers of Glamour which all Fey are reputed to possess, individual Seelie and Unseelie were also considered to possess all manner of powers and abilities ranging from Flight to Precognition and Shapeshifting. It was also believe that the Unseelie King (or perhaps in this case Prince) was able to call upon the Slaugh (a group of assassins and monsters) if he was angered or feeling vindictive.

Perhaps, but I still say no to the fey shape changing. Sorry, hun. The human photo though was great.

Thorneblood

On second thought, nevermind. I thought this might include the Return to Labyrinth storyline as part of its basis...my mistake.

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 12:30:58 AM
On second thought, nevermind. I thought this might include the Return to Labyrinth storyline as part of its basis...my mistake.

Been awhile since I read those, what does shape shifting have to do with it? I honestly don't remember.

Thorneblood

Jareth used shape shifting to spy on Sarah throughout her life after she defeated him. His preferred alternate form was an owl, which has some connections in mythology to dreams as made evident by Jareth's powers to control illusions and fabricate dream worlds through his crystal balls which is a large part of the movie.
Labyrinth Wiki

The notion that Seelie were good and Unseelie were evil is actually a christianized element that doesn't really reflect the more basic nature of the Fey. The Unseelie, and all Fey, are often seen as personifications of forces of nature it was not an uncommon belief that they could take on another form. Ravens, horses, owls, dogs and even great cats. While some were tied to more esoteric concepts like storms, trees, flowers, etc; the Unseelie were often connected with things like death, decay, winter and nightmares. This is why they were considered evil, not because they were inherently bad. All Fey like all mortals were both good and bad in varying measures and there was just as much good in the Unseelie court as there was evil in the Seelie court. This didn't really jive with christianity as it took root in England (which at one time perceived all these sort of being as angels who had chosen to remain neutral during the initial battle between Lucifer and God and remained on earth instead of going to heaven or hell.)

Furthermore shape shifters, or werewolves in particular, have a number of basic origins. One of which is tied to celtic warriors who would wear the skins of animals as armor believing it gave them power. This is both a historical explanation of the were and one of the given explanations for how many Fey were able to shape shift. For example the Roane who were able to change into seals through a second skin that they could put on (a not uncommon trait for many animal-based Fey)

Another more folklorish explanation contends that all shape shifters were the result of humans who had interbred with the Fey, the result of which could create a very human looking child who had unusual gifts or magical powers but was also more intimately tied to nature which explains the stories about werewolves being affected by the cycles of the moon.

As Unseelie Prince he would be half breed. As i said, the Unseelie were not pure blooded Fey, and in this case his bloodline would likely be tied to a werewolf mother or father. As such he would possess the same abilities as those of his lineage tho changed to reflect the more monstrous nightmares that were commonly held to be servants and assassins of the Unseelie (the Slaugh). This is why i choose a more sinister looking sabertooth tiger, implying both a connection to the werewolf race in your initial post as well as the darker notions of the Unseelie.

Anyway, i am not trying to derail your thread by any means. I was just explaining why i chose that particular background and character as it fit it not only with the original folklore that inspired the Labyrinth but also tied into the mythology surrounding both the Fey, the Unseelie and the many races you added to this concept.

On/Off