DnD 5th edition Body Swap Adventure (IC)

Started by Rune, August 06, 2018, 09:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

I am currently playing in a DnD Campaign on other site that has been fun and might be interesting to try here.

The concept is that each player created a character complete with background. Then due to the shattering of a lich's phalactery, the sounds of everyone in the party were shifted (hand your character sheet to the player to the left.)

Romance, comedy and mayhem ensue as the party has to quest to set things right.

Would there be interest in trying that game here?

Brittlby

i wouldn’t mind submitting for this... even though, someone else would end up with it! Lol

What level and what’s allowed for source books? n_n Also... what’s the tone?
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

pdragon

What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Chulanowa

tuckers02

Rune

For character creation, I think we would need a base concept and background.

More importantly it would be important to denote what changes you don't want. (IE no gender change, no gnomes, no clerics, etc.) That way you won't have to play a character that you really don't want to play. The swap will be determined randomly among whatever characters are acceptable to you.

pdragon

I'd probably make a barbarian warrior woman or some kind of fire sorceress

As far as exclusions go I'm pretty open to most stuff. I'd probably say wait until everyone has an idea pitch and maybe have people make any objections from there, just because I think it won't be too much of a problem over all. I doubt anyone interested in the idea of playing someone else's character would be too picky about who they get, as that would be pretty counter intuitive.

Request Thread

Brittlby

I somehow always end up with Rogue... (swashbuckler, arcane trickster, assassin... yeah, I like rogues) so I guess my stipulation would be no Rogue? I’d probably submit a Rogue sheet to assure someone else got it! Lol
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues

O/O

Brittlby

Alrighty! Rough and loose pitch for an assassin.

Tomoko Sato

Some might (in hushed tones) call the members of the Blue Orchid “assassins”, but amongst their own and those who have need of their skills, there is another term for what they do.

Gardeners.

With the motto of the Blue Orchid etched across her arms in scar tissue and lovingly inked floral highlights, Tomoko Sato embodies the values of the guild. Upon her right arm, “Nurture the Virtuous” and upon her left, “Cull the Wicked”. Skilled in moving silently and striking without warning, it is sometimes hard to marry the diametrically opposed aspects of her duty and her personality.

Cheerful and eager to bend an elbow with the best of them at the tavern, she could easily be mistaken for an exotic bard. She makes friends readily, though many consider her prudish and easily embarrassed. It is hard to imagine her as a woman who has studied at great length the art of murder.

Originally the third child of a merchant family, her father would travel to distant lands and return with rare herbs. Her mother would compound them into potions for all manner of ailments. Their work was noble and made them wealthy, but greed was a stone in their hearts. The Hiraga Tragedy saw many of the village die from illness. A horrific plague snuffed out the lives of 3 out of 4 children...

Even the potions of the Sato family were slow to push back the sickness. Even with the expensive herbs, many still died. Tomoko watched silently as her mother mixed the herbs. She knew the amounts, even as a child, and Tomoko argued with her mother, “You are using too much water...” Her mother insisted that the measurements were sufficient and scolded her. When sickness came to the Sato household, Tomoko’s older sister was the first to grow ill. She watched silently as her mother went to a special case for an older batch of the remedy.

Once the sickness came to a home, it often made the rounds. And so as her parents fell ill, they too went to the special case and drank from the potions within. They were dead within a week. Though the authorities did not pursue the matter, the Blue Orchid was quick to extend an invitation to her. They knew her parents had been diluting the herbs to increase their profits during the plague... and one of their members had watched from the rafters as Tomoko switched the old potions for the new batch. To this day, she insists, “I did not kill them. If the remedy had worked as she promised me, they would still be alive. Nurture the Virtuous. Cull the Wicked.”

O/O

Chulanowa

Quote from: Brittlby on August 06, 2018, 11:03:01 AM
I somehow always end up with Rogue... (swashbuckler, arcane trickster, assassin... yeah, I like rogues) so I guess my stipulation would be no Rogue? I’d probably submit a Rogue sheet to assure someone else got it! Lol

Man, I know that feel. A full half of mine have been rogues. They're so easy to build, and every group is ALWAYS full of sorcerers and warlocks and barbarians in tight furry bikinis, you need someone to set off the traps without killing everyone  ;D

Brittlby

Quote from: Chulanowa on August 06, 2018, 02:51:15 PM
Man, I know that feel. A full half of mine have been rogues. They're so easy to build, and every group is ALWAYS full of sorcerers and warlocks and barbarians in tight furry bikinis, you need someone to set off the traps without killing everyone  ;D

Somehow I’ve never gotten to use a wizard/sorc in 5e, so this’ll be a great opportunity to play one poorly to get the hang of it! Lol “So... you don’t stab them with the wand? This is plain madness...”

O/O

tuckers02

Honestly, I love playing unique characters such as race/class combinations and randomizing my characters' traits that I play letting fate fall where it may.  I then love the challenge of roleplaying those random elements so I'll take anything and everything you give me.

For character creation, are we rolling abilities?  Are we just going with the basic starting equipment for the class or can we choose that option over rolling starting money?  Are we limited to the PHB or can we choose races/classes/backgrounds from other sources?

pdragon

Lady Vivian Garneth

They say payback is a bitch, well in that case the Garneth family were skilled hound breeders. While few noble families could be considered "virtuous" in either their intentions or conduct, the Garneth's were particularly infamous for their ruthlessness, corruption, and political back stabbing. Five generations of careful plotting and positioning had brought the family lineage from a fairly humble knighthood all the way to being Dukes of one of the largest cities in the entire kingdom. And it was into this cutthroat family that Vivian was born, the youngest of three daughters and two sons, considered to be dead last in line as far as inheriting her father's position. This didn't bother her too much, mostly since she was too young at the time to truly comprehend her family's position and power, too pampered and well cared for to really bother caring about such matters.

Unfortunately that pampered life style wouldn't last forever, or even very long at all from Vivian's perspective. It seemed the Garneth family's ambition didn't end just at being duke, and Vivian's father started setting his sights even higher. However while their tactics had been ignored up until that point as the normal scramble of low level politics, when it came to light that they were plotting to assassinate a member of the king's very court just to try and open up the position the king's fist swiftly came smashing down upon them. When Vivian was just 12 years old her father was deposed, stripped of all rank and title, their entire family losing all status and wealth in an instant. The new Duke's first decree was a popular one indeed, for years of backstabbing nobles and mistreating the public had earned the family the ire of both sides, and so the entire city was unified in their desire to see the family pay. However he did not decide to have them straight up executed, his plan was something much more "fair"...which is to say incredibly cruel.

The entire family had been rounded up and taken the Colosseum, the gladiatorial fighting pit that had been her father's favorite past time (and means of removing dissenters) for years. All of them, from the Duke himself, to their uncles and cousins, to even young Vivian, not even a woman yet, were each tossed a rusty sword and a rotted plank of wood for a shield and given a simple choice: win or die, for only one of them would be allowed to live. For a time Vivian survived off of the mercy of others, the most noble of her family actually standing to protect the young girl, though whether this was from a genuine desire to protect her or some last ditch effort to sway the Duke of their virtuosity would never be known. However while most of her family hesitated to raise their sword to the young girl, who many believed to be the only pure member of the wretched clan, as it turned out Vivian had no such issue. The crowd had actually fallen silent when she first drove her rusted blade through her eldest brother's heart, and so did the rest of her family as she swiftly ended them one by one, the girl taking on a ferocious look as she rushed them down like a mad woman, stabbing and swinging blindly but managing to strike true every time, the display of violence and cruelty apparently breaking something deep within her, or perhaps just bringing what was already there to the surface.

At the end of it all Vivian stood the lone survivor, clutching a bloodied sword she didn't even know how to properly wield, a look of feral desperation on her face as the crowd roared in approval. Of course this wasn't the end of the new Duke's cruelty. While they said one of them would be allowed to live, he said nothing about the winner going free, and so Vivian was made a slave of the Colosseum, first as a lowly servant, but as she got older she would find herself being thrown into the fighting pits more and more. And while she wasn't properly trained to be a fighter, she had inherited her father's ruthlessness and cutthroat nature, along with an almost spiteful will to survive that seemed to drive her feral in combat. Through sheer ferocity and the use of every dirty trick she could think of Vivian managed to eek out victory after victory, proving to be a quick learner as she picked up the nuances of fighting instinctively. Eventually the higher ranking gladiators took a liking to her, either through pity or respect for her sheer tenacity, and began training her in secret, showing her how to properly wield a weapon and mercilessly drilling her in exercises until she carved the soft, weak body of a pampered noble into a muscled warrior's physique.

Today she fights as one of the Colosseum's top gladiators, years of desperate struggling earning her the respect and adoration of the crowds. While still disgraced, she has singlehandedly turned the Garneth name from something that was once cursed and reviled, to something chanted furiously by hundreds of cheering spectators. However the experience has left her so utterly changed that no one would recognize her as the sweet young noblewoman she was before, Vivian forever warped into a ruthless killer who will do whatever it takes to win and survive. Though some would argue that makes her no different than every other Garneth who came before her...so how much of a change is it really?

Request Thread

Brittlby

Lol. Went with the barbarian warrior woman?

O/O

pdragon

I took a third option and went for nutjob pit fighter.

Request Thread

tuckers02

I'll just go with the PHB then for class and race.  I think I'll make an Elf (dark varient) Sorcerer with the Folk Hero background.

Chulanowa

So far, a professional murderer and a rabid pit fighter.

:-\ Comedy gold...?

Kind of thinking of a bubbly little gnome cleric of life or something, just to offset all of that  :-) Imagine, if you will, Vivian's body, possessed by someone who blushes and looks chagrined if she says "golly" out loud while Vivian's mind is trapped inside a poof-of-floof with pink pigtails and a pet hamster.

pdragon

That sounds good lol. I intentionally made her super edgy so it would be a bigger contrast when she swaps with someone else.

Request Thread

Brittlby

O/O

Velatha

I am a bit interested in this idea for something different.  Will probably start whipping something up once I get home.
O/Os

Roleplay request thread Status: Currently accepting