News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Paradox, November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

In the time-honored Elliquian tradition of such threads as What are you wearing?, What are you drinking?, What's cooking?, and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?, I bring you the latest thread: "What are you reading?"

Books, newspaper articles, online articles, blogs, posts on Elliquiy, even lyrics; all are fair game. If possible, please attempt to include a link.

Currently Reading:

Los Cinco Lenguajes Del Amor (The Spanish version of "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman)

and

Carrion Comfort, by Dan Simmons

My future mother-in-law loaned me the English version of the first book. It's surprisingly insightful, so I picked up the Spanish version to practice my Español.
The second book is a deep, powerful 900 page novel full of suspense, horror, mystery and amazingly intricate plotlines.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lilias

This seems much more in place here than in the general literary discussion.

So, lessee... Reading my NaNo abomination (I try not to look too far back), games and blog posts, mine and others' (trying to draw traffic to my latest blogging gig), and slowly plodding through The Healing Handbook and Sourcery.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Paradox

Oh, I wasn't aware that we already had a "What Are You Reading?" thread.

Well..damn.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caity

Wifey -- Judy Blume

Off to do that now. 

Ket

Lucinda's Web by Dorothy Morrison
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

adventurer

"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Paradox

Great choice! I pick up an issue every few months.

Now- An article about the ovens used in Nazi death camps.

adventurer

In addition to it:

www.edge.org
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Happy an Nice

Quote from: Paradox on November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM
In the time-honored Elliquian tradition of such threads as What are you wearing?, What are you drinking?, What's cooking?, and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?, I bring you the latest thread: "What are you reading?"

Books, newspaper articles, online articles, blogs, posts on Elliquiy, even lyrics; all are fair game. If possible, please attempt to include a link.

Currently Reading:

Los Cinco Lenguajes Del Amor (The Spanish version of "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman)

and

Carrion Comfort, by Dan Simmons

My future mother-in-law loaned me the English version of the first book. It's surprisingly insightful, so I picked up the Spanish version to practice my Español.
The second book is a deep, powerful 900 page novel full of suspense, horror, mystery and amazingly intricate plotlines.

Interesting...my ex-MIL (at the time also my future MiL)  had given me The Language of Love (1988, revised 1992) by Gary Smalley in Spanish quite a few years ago. I think it contained some similar themes.

Good luck with that. It didn't help me but...you're a better man than I. *smiles*
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

Paradox

Quote from: Happy an Nice on November 27, 2008, 11:20:33 PM
Good luck with that. It didn't help me but...you're a better man than I. *smiles*

You know...that may have something to do with the fact that you aren't a man to begin with  ;)

I haven't read the book by Señor Smalley, so I'll go look it up!

Solaine

Illustrated Guide to The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Happy an Nice

Still haven't finished Fragile Things

If you click on the green cover....a Study In Emerald, you can listen to the author read the short story in his own voice. I enjoy listening to him read.
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

MistressofPen

Ooooh.  A place I can actually respond!

I'm reading Chalice by Robin McKinley http://www.robinmckinley.com/

I've also been reading about the positioning of Venus and Jupiter with our moon on Monday; guess it will be an interesting arrangement.  I've noticed the two planets almost stacked and so very, very bright even before full dark. http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081128/sc_space/spectacularskyscenemondayevening

And, now I'm bookless; any recommendations?  I'm re-reading Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer.  Such a fun romp.

Cecilia

"My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead". Edited by Jeffrey Eugenides.  It's a compilation of "love stories" from  Chekov to Munro.   

Happy an Nice

Possibly adding...."God, a biography" as it came from Amazon today, although why, I can't say. *searches memory and comes up blank*

After opening the book and leafing through it a bit, *goes off to read but still has an attitude about it"

Caity

Duchess

raintree - sanctuary

beverly barton

adventurer

Arianna Huffington:

Picasso Bio
(Plato)

sodi rivka

The Assassin's Touch by Laura Joh Rowland

adventurer

Upping the Downside -63 Strategies for Creating Professional Resilience by Design

by Mike Jay and Co-Authors
(Plato)

Happy an Nice

IKEA product assembly instructions. ~Merry-impending-Christmas!

Dawg

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

For the 10th time
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Lilias

Tatler's School Guide 2009 (four years early, and we can't afford a prep school, but a mother can dream)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Caity

I just read:

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas -- James Patterson

Great tear jerker.  :P