News:

Main Menu

Me no likey spiders!

Started by MagicalPen, October 05, 2008, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Lots of these suckers in the swamp. The one I saw two weeks ago (different species) was about the size of that entire picture. :(

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lilias

Quote from: MagicalPen on October 05, 2008, 04:36:57 PM
The one I saw two weeks ago (different species) was about the size of that entire picture. :(

EEEEEEEKKKKK!!

Me no likey either. And there are some BIG buggers here, up north as we are. Still, they're way better than the scorpions we had at my village. At the first whiff of rain, we raced to pull the beds away from the walls to stop the dashed critters from crawling out of the chinks and into the bedding! *shudders*
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

WyldRanger

I hate spiders....which sucks cause I work in a campground where spiders are ALL OVER THE PLACE! And not small ones either....huge hairy ones! With big gigantic legs!

Like this one......

(caution...this is extremely frightening for those who hate/are frightened by spiders---like me!) *shakes*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellybeard/45993956/

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

WyldRanger

Lilias

CLEAR!!

*resuscitates*

Hubby whacked one of those off our living room wall just a couple of hours ago.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

ZK

Spiders don't bother me. What insect that does? Ants. Those pesky fuckers. I'm allergic to fire ants and the others. Well, they're annoying!
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Revolverman

Bees freak me out, as all flying insects do. Spiders kill them, so I love Spiders.

Oniya

I like spiders better than most n-legged (n>4) creatures.  Of course I will usher 90% of all such critters out with cup and postcard.  The exceptions are flies and ants (which are terminated with extreme prejudice), and roaches, which I haven't had to deal with (thankfully).  Big wolf spiders get ushered out, smaller spiders are told they can stay if they earn their keep (with the flies and ants, naturally!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

Wow, that thing is beautiful!

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

The Overlord

Quote from: MagicalPen on October 05, 2008, 06:02:28 PM
*looks at Xanas Link*

*dies*

Crap...go back a couple pics, there's clowns there too. All they need is to add that creepy king from the Burger King commericals and that photoset would be complete.

The Overlord

Quote from: MagicalPen on October 05, 2008, 04:36:57 PM

Lots of these suckers in the swamp. The one I saw two weeks ago (different species) was about the size of that entire picture. :(

You've captured an alien attack spaceship in a web!  :o

The really creepy ones we have here in Atlanta this year are the orbweavers. I took photos similar to this one on FLickr, but not as good quality...a little too good if you ask me.  :-\

The ones I've seen would just about cover the palm of my hand with the legs out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick_dockens/2857526115/

MagicalPen

Well, my camera pwns. I think its currently set at 7MPG (I think thats the term?) so I get some pretty good quality pics.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Oniya

Probably 7 Megapixels.  I can ask my husband what the abbreviation is when he comes downstairs next.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Maeven

Quote from: Xana on October 05, 2008, 06:00:26 PM
I hate spiders....which sucks cause I work in a campground where spiders are ALL OVER THE PLACE! And not small ones either....huge hairy ones! With big gigantic legs!

Like this one......

(caution...this is extremely frightening for those who hate/are frightened by spiders---like me!) *shakes*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellybeard/45993956/

I LOVE wolf spiders.  As a kid, I used to catch them, keep them in mayonnaise jars and then catch grasshoppers to feed to them.  I could sit and watch them for hours. 

But that... MP, is a very cool looking spider.  I would be so tempted to toss a bug in the web and watch the carnage. 

These are the others one's that are common in North Florida... also fun to feed. Though, the size they can reach does prohibit even me from being brave enough to try to catch them.

Banana Spiders

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Oniya

What I want to know is why, with all the cobwebs my little tenants have made, I've never seen any evidence that they've caught the freeloaders.

Ket

Awesome creatures spiders are.  Jewel Spiders

Of course, the Happy Face Spider of Hawaii takes the cake.

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Storiwyr

Sheez, Magical Pen. You really ought to be more sensitive. ;)

Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Sabby

I'm an aussie... I HATE spiders. Had a Funnel Web in my room... a fricken Funnel Web. The psychopaths of the spider world.

Mathim

My mom got a spider bite once, not even from a black widow or tarantula, and almost died even though she wasn't allergic. Those things are bad news. I even talked to some homeless guy once who said he got bit by this brown spider and his skin where he got bitten was starting to peel off.

But spiders are nothing compared to cockroaches; those things can live even if you cut their heads off, they can survive underwater for a long time, and my friend tells me that up in Alaska they get so big, they're almost the size of dogs.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on October 08, 2008, 03:47:59 PM
My mom got a spider bite once, not even from a black widow or tarantula, and almost died even though she wasn't allergic. Those things are bad news. I even talked to some homeless guy once who said he got bit by this brown spider and his skin where he got bitten was starting to peel off.

Sounds like a brown recluse.  They're far more dangerous than a tarantula or even a black widow.

[
Quote from: MathimBut spiders are nothing compared to cockroaches; those things can live even if you cut their heads off, they can survive underwater for a long time, and my friend tells me that up in Alaska they get so big, they're almost the size of dogs.

I think that's in Florida, although the Madagascar hissing cockroach can get pretty big too.  Maybe Chihuahua-sized.