News:

Main Menu

The Legend of Korra.

Started by Wolfy, March 17, 2012, 05:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Well, close to the first season finale is certainly a good point to start watching through the whole thing. ^^

Shjade

Quote from: vin26m on June 17, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
Maybe Amon is immune to bloodbending because he's not fully human.  He could have synthetic body parts, like Darth Vader.

Wouldn't synthetic body parts likely have fluid components (hydraulics?) as well? Or, failing that, wouldn't bloodbending prevent your body from making the proper inputs to your synthetic parts anyway?

I dunno, the whole "Amon flat-out ignores bloodbending" thing is probably the first thing I've seen in this series so far that just made me flat-out call bullshit. My current theory is "Amon resists bloodbending because the plot demands it, since against anyone else bloodbending is auto-win and they couldn't just end the series right there."
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kunoichi

I like the 'Amon is secretly a bloodbender himself' angle, personally. ^^

Shjade

Another bloodbender who can do it without a full moon? That seems pretty unlikely given the number of people who've been able to do it thus far.
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

I'm sure people once said the same about metalbending, too.

Shjade

Metalbending never had specific requirements for being able to do it before. It would be pretty damn contrived to have not one but two key players in the plot have this previously impossible talent without explanation.

And, as a more petty thing, Amon didn't do anything to bend. Tarrlock's doing all his silly marionette-style movements to do his bending, Amon just walks through it. Doesn't seem like any reverse-bending going on there.

It's probably just an extension of the whole chi mastery thing he's got going on. Zen monks who can slow their pulse to the point of near coma through meditation, etc., I could see that being extended in a cartoon to the point of having mastery over his own internal flow.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

I think Amon is some sort of bender.. he's just in denial about it.. seems to me that the chi manipulation he's doing to block/destroy the bender's talents is a sign of a very skilled bender.

vin26m

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 05:11:28 PM
Wouldn't synthetic body parts likely have fluid components (hydraulics?) as well? Or, failing that, wouldn't bloodbending prevent your body from making the proper inputs to your synthetic parts anyway?

I dunno, the whole "Amon flat-out ignores bloodbending" thing is probably the first thing I've seen in this series so far that just made me flat-out call bullshit. My current theory is "Amon resists bloodbending because the plot demands it, since against anyone else bloodbending is auto-win and they couldn't just end the series right there."

I think that hydraulics would lead to some kind of super strength, which I don't think Amon has shown.  I don't think hydraulics would be necessary for a cyborg.  I'm sticking with the cyborg angle.  If they can build mechs, maybe they can build 'borgs.

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 07:26:20 PM
Metalbending never had specific requirements for being able to do it before. It would be pretty damn contrived to have not one but two key players in the plot have this previously impossible talent without explanation.

And, as a more petty thing, Amon didn't do anything to bend. Tarrlock's doing all his silly marionette-style movements to do his bending, Amon just walks through it. Doesn't seem like any reverse-bending going on there.

It's probably just an extension of the whole chi mastery thing he's got going on. Zen monks who can slow their pulse to the point of near coma through meditation, etc., I could see that being extended in a cartoon to the point of having mastery over his own internal flow.

Certainly possible.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2012, 07:38:12 PM
I think Amon is some sort of bender.. he's just in denial about it.. seems to me that the chi manipulation he's doing to block/destroy the bender's talents is a sign of a very skilled bender.

Chi blocking is not new.  Ty Lee did it in the original series.

Removing bending could be the sign of a very skilled bender (like Aang), although it seems to be independent of any element. 

Or, removing bending could be a more powerful version of chi-blocking, like bloodbending is to waterbending, metalbending is to earthbending, and casting lightning bolts is to firebending.

Shjade

Or he's an incredibly jaded Aang, back from the dead. @.@
◕/◕'s

Kunoichi

Shjade

That...was actually amusing.
◕/◕'s

Calison

Quote from: vin26mOr, removing bending could be a more powerful version of chi-blocking, like bloodbending is to waterbending, metalbending is to earthbending, and casting lightning bolts is to firebending.

I was thinking of Amon's "energy-bending" being a higher form of chi-blocking as well. In the instances that we see Aang use energy-bending its in a different position than Amon uses and there are glowy eyes. Still not sure if the glowy eyes are a thrown in dramatic effect, but I do find it odd that we only see it with Aang if that's the case.

Also, maybe Amon's speech in "The Revelation" wasn't just self-propaganda showboating. When he refers to himself as being chosen by the spirits, maybe he's serious. After all, Korra has been shirking her spiritual duties as the Avatar, so maybe the spirits decided to find someone else. -shrugs- Just my two cents.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Calison on June 17, 2012, 09:38:25 PM
I was thinking of Amon's "energy-bending" being a higher form of chi-blocking as well. In the instances that we see Aang use energy-bending its in a different position than Amon uses and there are glowy eyes. Still not sure if the glowy eyes are a thrown in dramatic effect, but I do find it odd that we only see it with Aang if that's the case.

Also, maybe Amon's speech in "The Revelation" wasn't just self-propaganda showboating. When he refers to himself as being chosen by the spirits, maybe he's serious. After all, Korra has been shirking her spiritual duties as the Avatar, so maybe the spirits decided to find someone else. -shrugs- Just my two cents.

I don't think it's so much that Korra has been shirking them.. but that she's just not as easily as spiritual a person as Ang was. Each avatar has their own issues.. Ang ran from his duties when it was revealed he was the Avatar, leaving a century of suffering and the genocide of his people. Roku, the prior Avatar, was betrayed by a friend after a perceived slight.

The Avatar is human.. he/she might be the tool of balance and the speaker for humanity to the spriit world but they are still human. Ang didn't understand his duties.. Roku trusted the wrong person.. Korra sees the world as something you can face over your fist.. though she is learning. I think when this series ends you'll see a more mature and balanced Korra.. I do wonder what she'll lose in her stories journey though.

Shjade

Quote from: Calison on June 17, 2012, 09:38:25 PM

The glowing eyes are from being in Avatar mode/form/whatever, not from removing the bending.
◕/◕'s

Sabre

Some ideas.

Water bending is derived from flow, the push and pull of water.  Healing with water bending is allowing the body's natural chi to flow freely into damaged regions.  Everyone has chi flowing from their seven chakras that act to naturally resist someone else manipulating them through bending.  Bloodbending, requiring a full moon usually, is less a matter of realizing there is water in the body as it is overcoming the chi of the target.  Tarrlok and his father Yakone could bloodbend at will, meaning they had a powerful ability to overcome people's chi to allow them to freely manipulate the water in their bodies.  When Aang went into the Avatar State, he was no longer affected by this as his chi was off the charts.  Amon is likely a very powerful nonbender with exceptional command of his chi, like the Guru.

Next, compare Aang's energy bending, when he permanently takes away someone's bending, to what Amon does.

Usually Aang is seen with his hand on the person's forehead and the other on his heart.  Two chakras commanding Insight and Love respectively.  It's likely Aang takes away bending by opening these chakras to insight and love where there was illusion and grief before.  The True Mind and True Heart mentioned by the Lion Turtle, where the distinction and inner turmoil that fuels the bending of men like Ozai and Yakone disappear and thus takes away their bending.

Amon on the other hand touches a person's forehead and throat, which command Insight and Truth, and which are blocked by illusion and lies.  Consider the possibility that Amon is not actually taking away a person's bending permanently, but instead corrupting their chakras into making them think they can no longer bend.

Shjade

Quote from: Sabre on June 19, 2012, 04:27:01 PM
Next, compare Aang's energy bending, when he permanently takes away someone's bending, to what Amon does.

Usually Aang is seen with his hand on the person's forehead and the other on his heart.  Two chakras commanding Insight and Love respectively.  It's likely Aang takes away bending by opening these chakras to insight and love where there was illusion and grief before.  The True Mind and True Heart mentioned by the Lion Turtle, where the distinction and inner turmoil that fuels the bending of men like Ozai and Yakone disappear and thus takes away their bending.

Amon on the other hand touches a person's forehead and throat, which command Insight and Truth, and which are blocked by illusion and lies.  Consider the possibility that Amon is not actually taking away a person's bending permanently, but instead corrupting their chakras into making them think they can no longer bend.

Your familiarity with chakras and the flow and meaning behind their theory impresses me, sir. Good show.
◕/◕'s

vin26m

Callie Del Noire

I confess to the fact that I want to see the ex-chief to get her bending back.. she's too billy badass to be destroyed. Which is what I see coming out of those who are blocked by Anon..they seem sickly and.. well.. broken. Which leads me to think that unlike Ang's blocking..his blocking hurts the flow of energy.

Aidonsious

Quote from: vin26m on June 17, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
Anyone want to try to predict what's going to happen or guess reasons for things?

Maybe Amon is immune to bloodbending because he's not fully human.  He could have synthetic body parts, like Darth Vader.

When Amon attempts to take away Korra's bending, Korra goes full avatar.  She can then take away his ability to take away bending.  Perhaps she can even restore bending to those it was taken away from.  And maybe she can go so far as to awaken bending in non-benders.

I assume that we already met Amon minus mask...I am looking forward to meeting Aang's other two kids.

Aidonsious

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 17, 2012, 07:38:12 PM

I agree and maybe there is the possibility that he formed a new alterations of bloodbending that makes him resistant. Or he can just have control over his own blood to counter act it.

Aidonsious

Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 10:18:25 PM
The glowing eyes are from being in Avatar mode/form/whatever, not from removing the bending.

Could there be a chance of two avatars? I know what the legend says but maybe there are other forms of avatars that we are just getting introduced to.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Aidonsious on June 19, 2012, 07:02:01 PM
Could there be a chance of two avatars? I know what the legend says but maybe there are other forms of avatars that we are just getting introduced to.

Zombie ANG! Explains soooo much.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 19, 2012, 07:08:07 PM
Zombie ANG! Explains soooo much.
Quote from: Shjade on June 17, 2012, 08:27:41 PM
Or he's an incredibly jaded Aang, back from the dead. @.@

;p

@Aidonsious: let's say for the sake of argument that it's possible to have two avatars. Why doesn't Amon go into Avatar mode to remove bending, then?

I find it unlikely he's an Avatar. He's basically an anti-Avatar; instead of balance, he wants equilibrium - or, rather, he wants things to be made equal.

Isn't that balance, you ask? Well, yes and no. The end result is "balanced" in that you have a level playing field in which things are more or less balanced against one another. However, given that this version of "balance" requires the destruction of one of the two major existing "sides" of the equation (bender vs. non-bender), it's actually an extreme unbalancing, tipping everything to one side and eschewing all presence of the other. I suspect this is not a coincidence in the character's design.

@Callie's second post above: Possible, though really, the brokenness effect of bending removal is probably as simple as depression. Think about it: if you've had superpowers all your life and suddenly had them taken away from you, forever, you'd probably be pretty bummed out, yeah? I think some emotional desolation is understandable regardless of whether or not their internal energy is fucked up as well.
◕/◕'s

Wolfy

Hmm....

If Amon and Aang, and most likely by extension, Korra herself, can take away bending....

Does the Inverse hold true? Can they give it?

Shjade

Hm. I sorta doubt it. Restore it, maybe, but generate it where there was no bending capacity before? I dunno.
◕/◕'s