Interest Check: Marvel Nightmare of Future Past

Started by BlackStone, April 03, 2017, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackStone

Looking to see who would be interested in playing a game set in the X-Men Nightmares of Future's Past alternate reality  (from the comics not the Brian Singer movie).

Players would start off in one of the Mutant concentration camps on the now ruined east coast.  To answer a question which I know will come up,  we will be allowing people to play marvel characters but need players to keep in mind most of the major hitters would had been killed by the Sentinels. We also would like a fresh hook at any Marvel character.  If folks want to gender bend, or have someone new talk up the hero's mantle after they were killed.  Original characters are also allowed.  If there is enough interest we will post up a character sheet and get things going.

Totoro

Sally Aces

Interested, thinking about possible character concept. I'm leaning a little bit towards a teleporter but not wed to that.

persephone325

Gonna pop my little self in here.

Do you have an estimated start date? And an expectation of player posting speed?

I'm going to be moving soon, which is why I ask. :-)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Batman4560

BlackStone

I generally try not to wait too long to start a game when I know I have player interest.  As far as posting speed, one a week I think is fair rate to keep a game moving and interested for people.

Diesel Heart

Mathim

Any other details on plot or setting? I did a game like this several months ago, where pretty much all characters were allowed due to the power-restricting collars (to prevent abusing power) and there was a massive jailbreak plot being hatched. Also Master Mold had a hidden agenda behind the whole thing, and was encouraging the mutants to breed. What sort of direction might we expect this to go in other than just being the apocalyptic future?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Juggtacular

Wow...I know...I think everyone in here.

Hi guys!

Anywho, I'm in when this gets off the ground.

Orange Marmalade

BlackStone

Starting plot will be the escape from the labor camp everyone is at.  Also while smut is not the focus of the game, I am not adverse to it and if some folks who are interested in NC scenes, the camp would be the place for it.  Not a requirement btw to play the game, and such scenes would be in their own thread away from the main game threads.

After that, it will be trying to survive and avoid capture.  During that time characters will come into larger plot elements as far as what they want to do to end the Sentinel threat.  Total war, change the time line, smuggle mutants out of the US, or do nothing, or combinations of many of the plot elements above.  Overall arching mega plot will loosely follow plot lines offered up in the old TSR Marvel Supoerhero RPG Future's Past gaming models (Nightmare of Future Past, X-Potential, Reap the Whirlwind, and Flames of Doom). 

We will be looking for heroes who will find going up against a typical triad of Alpha Hunter Sentinels to be a challenging encounter for them, not heroes who could snap their fingers and end the threat.  Does not mean you can't pick heroes, only that when you do play them, their power will be limited or changed from their past selves to who they are now.  Any number of reasons could be the cause and I will gladly help you come up with plot hooks for those reasons if we have enough people.  Given the normal attrition rate for new games here on E, looking for anywhere from 8-12 people to start with, knowing we might end up with 4-6 when the dust settles.

I will be up front and when we do loose players due to real life or lack of interest, their characters will die in the next encounter with Sentinels.  It helps cement the deadly and brutal nature of the settle as well as a mean of disentangling PC's still playing from a character who is not.

Batman4560

So my idea is for a character who finds Excalibur and the sword, and scabbard, being magic... would allow him to use legendary magical armor and a the sword itself. Sort of acting as a Colossus type character. Would that be okay?

Mathim

So is there going to be a list of those that are not allowed to be picked or should we just ask? I'm kind of wanting Gambit but if that's too much just say the word.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Orange Marmalade

Also for BlackStone - can we get a little more about the setting, overall plot and all? Especially any differences from the comics. Will help firm up ideas on characters and stuff.

BlackStone

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/advanced-game-and-modules.html

On that link go ahead and download the game model MX-1, Nightmares of Future Past.  The background info found there is basically the set up.  Senator Kelly was assassinated while making a run for President.  Other mutant terrorist plot had the United States activate Project Wideawake and release the Sentinels.  The Mark IV's however were not doing the task and were far too limited in their programing.  The Alpha and Omega series came online, and with it their advance AI and learning programs.  Now Sentinels learned from every encounter and could upgrade and prepare for specific threats.  Then mutants started loosing the war.  Soon the Sentinels did not distinguish between mutant and enhanced beings, and all were targeted.  Villains and Superheroes alike fought against the Sentinels.

They lost.

The war devastated the Eastern Sea Board with major cities such as New York, Boston, Chicago left in near ruins.  There is no money to restore damaged building and infrastructure from the war as near all DoD budget is for the Sentinels.  The rest of the world, having seen what the Sentinel war had done to the United States, have declared them weapons of mass destruction and will retaliate with nuclear weapons should any Sentinel leave North American shores.  Right now mutants who surrender are relocated to labor camps, those who resist are terminated.  The game will start in Memphis Tennessee Mutant Labor camp Alpha 3827.

Batman4560

I'm not gonna download it, just to keep my character fresh and afraid of what is happening around him.

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Batman4560 on April 04, 2017, 08:00:09 PM
I'm not gonna download it, just to keep my character fresh and afraid of what is happening around him.

I think you'll need to read it in order to understand the state of the world and what has happened the last few years. Unless your character has been living in some sort of bubble :)

Batman4560

"I LIKE BUBBLES!!!" Mostly I'm afraid to download anything on my laptop.

TheBlackThrone

I'm interested in this. I like how you're allowing Original Characters. I'm going to be using an old OC that I haven't used in years. ::)
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Godsend

BlackStone

Looks like we have enough interest.  I will likely be locking this thread and posting a recruitment thread with background info and what I am looking for as far as guide lines for character submissions.  Look for them in the next day or so.

Mathim

You can count me out. Allowing OCs is always a bad idea.