Kill the bad-guy, rescue the girl, save the world: A PF homebrew for 4-6 players

Started by Blinkin, March 29, 2017, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cataclysmic Archangel

'The wearer resists cold as if affected by an endure elements (cold) spell.  Furthermore, <stuff about staying dry, rations 3/day, 2 gallons per day of water or tea, 1 per day 1-person tent>

Caster Level 5th, Prereq: Craft Wondrous, endure elements, create food and water, enlarge, market value 5,000'

Magic of Faerun, page 166.

I'm totally cool with building something else instead, no issue.  Just saying... it was there, as official Wizards of the Coast. :)

I'm a bit more concerned on the character right now... I've got like 18 tabs open right now as I try to decide what class to work with.  the bard seems to fit well with the Dervish Dancer and the Dervish of the Dawn archetypes, but it gives up the spellcasting that I wanted (nothing really offensive).  The Magus works more for everything I want, just feels a little boring.  The Kensai , if given more of a 'desert' feel instead of being an Eastern class gets a little closer (and hey, unarmored!).

It's kind of like bits and pieces of a half dozen different archetypes and such.

It's almost enough to just go with sorcerer and call it a day. :p

Blinkin

I'm aware of the item, there's another similar item that's a pouch rather than a cloak and doesn't have endure elements, but cuts out a lot of the supply issues... Still, there are two issues with the item that you're talking about.

1. it's not a Paiso source.
2. It's 5,000 GP. You do have 6,000 to spend, but no single item may be more than 3,000... so...

The archetypes are a tradeoff. Some are great, but take away a core element of the class, others give something but take away something else. Try to not get hung up on titles, but what class will do what you want it to do.

If you want a flashy fighter with some magic ability, consider a swashbuckler/bard. You difently get the flash and style and the bard has a few spells that may be useful. They also compliment each other rather well... Or look at the fighter buckler duelist archetype and pick up a straight spellcaster level or two for the spells.

Of the classes that I'm aware of, Skald, Magus and Bard seem to be the most readily fitting to what you've described. All of them trade off something for the spell casting ability, but with feats, perhaps you can customize things to fit what you're interested in.

And then... there are the racial alternate racial traits that can give some added spell casting options, in mostly limited ways, but none the less spellcasting. At 4th level, you're not exactly going to have a huge range of spells anyway and they'll mainly be level 1 and 2 spells. Plan for the long term and you could end up with something with real potential.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EndofDivine

Mmm. Maybe. I'm Pathfinder-less right now so it can't hurt to toss out some ideas I suppose.

Since Blinkin is looking for connected people...anyone interested in a brother/sister duo? They could be something as simple as a cleric and paladin of a temple that grew up there as orphans. Or maybe one of them got chased out of town after a magical mishap and the other refused to let them walk out into the world on their own. A sorcerer probably works best for the sibling that gets shunned but I guess an Oracle, Witch, or maybe a Summoner could fit.

Or, pending GM approval since this one is a little more iffy, I'm kind of digging the idea of being something that someone else summoned that just sort of stuck around for whatever reason. Angel, demon, elemental, whatever. I could use Aasimar, Tiefling, or one of the planetouched races and go from there. This one obviously works best paired up with a Wizard or some other heavy duty spellcaster.

Kathyan

Any chance on making it a sisters duo instead? Still, as Blinkin spoke of wanting to be some balance on genders mix I was indeed consider playing a male character, also if the summoned outsider idea is approved I´m open for that as well. ^^

Blinkin

Unfortunately, the summoned creature idea is DOA. Aside from none of the characters being powerful enough to summon such a creature, I'm wary of a master/slave sort of vibe.

Aside from that, siblings is certainly an option. I would suggest keeping an option without a sibling in the event that one doesn't make it into the game.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

HopeFox

Well, after considering the many fantastic options available to me in this rich fantasy world, I have settled on a human fighter with a big stick.

He (possibly she) is a bouncer for one of the rowdier taverns in his home town. He likes peace and quiet in his time off, but will happily wade into a crowd and lay about with his quarterstaff until everyone is having a nice nap.

Open to character connections and the like!
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Cataclysmic Archangel

Well, that was embarrassing.  I see where the disconnect was on that item.  I have the 3.0 book in physical version, and the item is MUCH cheaper there.  I blindly cut/paste off my pdf, which is 3.5.

<deletes a ton of stuff about not being able to find things>  Pretty sure I'm going to go with Magus.  Bard certainly fits, especially the dancer, but I wanted a bit more offensive magic, and wasn't feeling the dip between two classes.  A stock Magus (no archetypes) should fit the bill more to what I want.  I have a few racials and traits and stuff set aside, so I should be able to keep going from here.

Quote from: Kathyan on March 30, 2017, 06:50:34 PM
Any chance on making it a sisters duo instead? Still, as Blinkin spoke of wanting to be some balance on genders mix I was indeed consider playing a male character, also if the summoned outsider idea is approved I´m open for that as well. ^^

Dibs on the sisters!

Blinkin

A similar item in Pathfinder would be even more expensiv, so don't feel bad. Prices jumped as the versions aadvanced until, apparently D&D 5e puts even basic magic items so far out of normal means that they might as well not exist.

In my table top 5e game, at 4th level, the character has a whopping 150 gp and just found a +1 ring of protection that he's probably going to have to give up to bolster the rogue who can't seem to figure out that there's a reason for backstabbing and not going face to face with bad-guys.

So... this from a generally generous GM who keeps taking the horses when no one's watching them.

On another topic, I'm giving fair warning on animal companions and familiars. I don't mind them being in the game and as a general rule, what they do is completely in your hands, but the first time said critter is used offensively in combat, the critter becomes a legal target. I'm not saying by any means to not have one, just to be aware that what you do with them have game effects. This doesn't mean that using them defensively will not open them up to attacks, but as a general rule, I'm more forgiving to defensive fighting than offensive actions.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

So. Magus. Fighter Guy With Big Stick. Possible siblings.

And I swear to god if I play another rogue or wizard I'm going to chew my own face off, so. Sooo... I'll likely end up chewing my own face off, but we'll see! Leaning away from those two classes, is all.

Videospirit

Blinkin

I'm not sure that a siegebreaker would be appropriate for the story. To be honest, it's not what I would call impressive overall and focusing on bull rushes or overruns will not be particularly useful in the types of combatants that I use.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 30, 2017, 09:59:36 PM
So. Magus. Fighter Guy With Big Stick. Possible siblings.

And I swear to god if I play another rogue or wizard I'm going to chew my own face off, so. Sooo... I'll likely end up chewing my own face off, but we'll see! Leaning away from those two classes, is all.

If a caster is more what we need, I might just do that.  honestly, a sorcerer can fit the character idea I had just as well, I just thought the swordplay angle would be sexy.

Blinkin

Offer what you want to play. Otherwise, you're not going to want to play the game and I want/need players who will want to play the game.

Absolutely worst case, there aren't enough viable characters for the game and I'll request that some of the characters be revisited.

At the moment, what's been talked about is melee heavy. For once, I'm shocked that I haven't seen a slew of spellcasters, which is the normal way these things go.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Blinkin on March 31, 2017, 06:12:05 AM
Offer what you want to play. Otherwise, you're not going to want to play the game and I want/need players who will want to play the game.

Absolutely worst case, there aren't enough viable characters for the game and I'll request that some of the characters be revisited.

At the moment, what's been talked about is melee heavy. For once, I'm shocked that I haven't seen a slew of spellcasters, which is the normal way these things go.

Remember, when I first walked in, I said I wanted to be able to RP casting and such.  emphasis on pyrotechnics.  It's the reason why Bard wouldn't do the job.

I can just as easily go sorcerer and have what I wanted out of a character.  Either way he's going to be an offensive character, it's just a matter of up close or hiding in the back (and hey, don't need armor then for that bare-chested look!  >:) )

I'll probably stat up both, at least on my side.

EDIT:  Yeeeep.  After going through some of the options available to Sorcerers, there's some really fun toys that match his concept enough that I can and will easily do that so we're not as melee heavy.  Fire Elemental bloodline Sorcerer.  Just trying to decide between the Tattooed sorcerer (he was always going to be heavily inked in my head or the Primal.

Rhynarion

Hi Blinkin!

Since it seems that class options are hit or miss, I am going to mention that I would like to play a Brawler with the Steel-Breaker archetype.

This doesn't seem to fail any of the DOA checkpoints, but I wanted to clear it before delving any further as a surprising number of additional things are DoA.

His name is Mundus and he is a human, something of an ascetic who studies non-magical medicine; at the same time he believes that it is willpower, not physical limitations, that causes men (and objects) to break. To understand how to destroy, you must first learn how to heal.

Videospirit

Quote from: Blinkin on March 31, 2017, 12:45:23 AM
I'm not sure that a siegebreaker would be appropriate for the story. To be honest, it's not what I would call impressive overall and focusing on bull rushes or overruns will not be particularly useful in the types of combatants that I use.

I just liked it because it doesn't really give up anything useful and adds a little more flavour to the standard fighter. After looking the archetypes over last night It was either Siegebreaker or standard fighter.

HopeFox

So I'm tooling around with my staff fighter tavern bouncer. He'll definitely have Bludgeoner, so he can break up fights and put people down non-lethally, because he's a good person. Beyond that, I'm torn between either simply maximizing attack and damage (Power Attack, Furious Focus, Cleave, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization) or playing around with knocking people down with Improved Trip and the Cudgeler Style feats. Blinkin, you mentioned that combat maneuvers weren't likely to be a good investment in this game, is that right?

Blinkin

I never said that combat maneuvers would not have it's place.

What I did say, and perhaps I didn't say it clearly enough, characters should not be combat focused. I'll give you two reasons.
1. Combat will not be the focus of the game.
2. characters will face a variety of challenges that requires more flexibility in what they can do.

If you want to go the route of maximizing combat power, you're free to do that.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Petrus02

A young man, around 25, carrying a crossbow, a sword and a shield, and wearing the mantle of the city guard over finely crafted plate armor, albeit without a helmet.He has short, blond hair, pitchblack eyes and seems to always be cleanly shaved. He bows to you, giving off a warm feeling while greeting you in the traditional way of greeting a stranger who's rank is unknown, and whom one does not want to insult.

"Greetings stranger. my name is Alessando Santos, captain of the cityguard. Rest assured, me and my men watch over this small city of Ridonport. Please state your business and the time you will be staying here, thank you very much for your cooperation."

Character quote: Me? I'm just an ordinary guy trying to get by. I do what i have to, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone could have driven out those bandits if they set their mind to it. But for the good of the community, i did.

Character Personality: Alessandro posses a unique mix of a very naive outlook, simply wanting to believe everyone, everything they say, which makes it terribly easy to lie to him, and the experience of 8 years of service as a city guard, which by the nature if the work makes him suspicious of everyone and everything. the result is, that he will believe everything as long as theres a possibility for it to be true, but will change his attitude to almost paranoid levels, questioning everything once lied to even once. Aside from that, he is brave and reliable, protecting whoever, whatever is left in his care even with his life on the line. I also picture him quite humble, seeing himself as a completely ordinary man just doing what needs to be done.
On a sidenote: he will NOT be a holy pain in the ass. As a city guard - and more so as a follower of Abadar - he knows that there are times when its better to not do the right thing, the good thing to achieve once's goals.

Background: born from a noble's infidelity with a bar maid, he never experienced what a father's love means. In fact, he never even knew his father, only finding his true identity out after spending years of investigation. He knows better than to cause his father any trouble though. He was raised in a temple of Abadar, training to be captain of the city watch from a very young age, and realizing his ambition at the age of 22, claiming the title as the youngest man in the history of his small hometown.

Mechanics: I'm thinking Paladin of Abadar, maybe with the  sacrad shield archtype, partly because so many melee fighter- types were submitted, partly because it mashes really well with his background. I'd definitely take the homebew feat for more skillpoints, as i feel a paladin has too few with 2+ int. I'd be more then happy with 4+ int already, but i gladly take the full 8+ if its no trouble. I also plan on taking the "Eyes and Ears of the city" trait which gives perception as a class skill and is Abadar followers only, but given his background i think that should be ok. Skillwise i think of going Face, with maybe a few investigation skills, but i really think I'll pass on sense motive and will rarely roll it, simply believing what people tell me.
Sheet in process, but link below
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1163920

Kathyan

About the homebrew feat it only affect the amount of skill points right? or does it also affect which skill are class skills? anyway upgrading from 2 to 8 does sound like way too much and even unfair considering how a fighter wins too much from it, might just go fighter as well just because of it. Well I was already considering throwing a fighter in but still :P

Cataclysmic Archangel

don't forget, if I'm reading it right, you're already +2 skill ranks for the background skills.

HopeFox

Come to think of it, with all those skill points, I can do an awful lot with a fighter beyond just fighting, and still be good at fighting. Works for me!

Blinkin

Well, someone figured out why I offered the feat. The characters will need to be able to do more than just fight and the normal rules regarding  maximum ranks and class skills still apply. At level 4, all that you can have is 4 ranks in a skill, so the maximum that a skill will have will be an 11, unless you get something that will modify that such as a trait, feat or masterwork item.

I will point out that a group filled with fighters will not get a game going. So, someone is going to have to decide to play something other than a fighter of some kind. Sorry guys and gals, but a fighter can't cast spells or do other things that will be useful in the game. The fact that to date, all I've seen are fighter types, with the potential of a sorcerer... well, we'll see what happens. I will remind you that the feat must be taken at 1st level and does take up a feat slot.

Does the feat do more for one class than another, yes. Is it unbalancing? Not really as all it does is effect the number of skills that a character may have, not add more class skills or by pass the other rules. I've used it before and it hasn't seemed to unduely unbalance things.

On the other hand, a human fighter, taking Fast Learner and actually putting something into intelligence would normally have about half of what nearly any other class... dumb jock can't learn anything but how to lift weights! I don't see it as a huge issue.

Anyway, I've seen one background so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Blinkin on April 01, 2017, 11:24:58 AM

I will point out that a group filled with fighters will not get a game going. So, someone is going to have to decide to play something other than a fighter of some kind. Sorry guys and gals, but a fighter can't cast spells or do other things that will be useful in the game. The fact that to date, all I've seen are fighter types, with the potential of a sorcerer... well, we'll see what happens. I will remind you that the feat must be taken at 1st level and does take up a feat slot.

Oh, I've definitely swapped it to Sorcerer.  works out nicely.  And even a crafter, as of level 6.

I have one feat unaccounted for, so I might take yours... although I took a few ranks along a few different things... so he's not terrible even on the craptacular skills that a caster normally gets.  At least, that's my feeling on it.  Granted, I also was giving up Skilled for a human to take one of the racials instead.

Mystic Dragon

I have a Druid I've tried to run a few times but the games never made it past 5 sessions. She's 16, her parents have gone missing and she is trying to deal with a slow transformation into an Abyssal.

When she was originally built in 3.0, there were abyssal feats and other ways to gradually change her to an outsider(Mom is a Succubus) or she could even just grow into it as a Druid. I've been on Pathfinder hiatus for a bit but I see there are no succubus flavored bloodlines or character paths yet on OGC(Rakshasha is pretty close though). It would help if I can have some options to do something like that either by class, racially or feats.

It could be also non-thing though, depending on how many levels we go for. She was specifically built around a tight ruleset more than once, but I do enjoy being able to play her quirks and having everyone else's vague unease in dealing with her rather than as the cute druid everyone adores.
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
"In our world, all the Redheads have chainsaws"
"Nightmares never last. One day you wake up and they're gone"