Broken Earth, Broken Hearts, New Destination (Interest Check)

Started by Trinket, May 08, 2009, 02:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trinket

I'm not sure what it would be called... but here's the idea that one of Shia's ideas sparked in my head.

Imagine a bleak future of the world, Earth which was once an inhabited planet that was hit by an enormous asteroid, knocking the planet off its orbit, two thirds of its population annihilated in that single instant. Then because the planet was knocked off its orbit it was on a collision toward another planet, because they were to close or it had been knocked right into its path... it would happen within 90 - 120 days so the people had to organize their fleet of ships and train new pilots, engineers, co-pilots, navigators and for each ship one doctor with one-two nurses and a nursery area. An education for the children who might have to be taught things they might not have needed to know such as how not to panic, how to pilot the ship in an emergency, etc.

This means that they have to find somewhere else to live that they can inhabit, but to try and survive if they cannot. There is the matter of oxygen so the quicker the better, unless they're able to grow plants that might help. I'm not sure if they would have taken two of each animal on to each ship or not... maybe some did and others didn't due to time and panic. Its even more complicated because no one had ever found a planet that was livable before that had any life on it. They might see some planets and try and grow plants on them or leave the plant there to thrive on its own if possible and leave to seek out other potential sites and wait for years to get back to those spots of interest to see if the planet did thrive or not... unless they were able to find a planet that was inhabited by creatures that breathed oxygen like themselves.

No doubt this would still lead to several people panicking even on the ship(s) so they'd need to be taken care of somehow.

There would certainly be different types and ages of characters needed...and plenty of room for expansion if anyone has any input that we all could also discuss?

Cold Heritage

What kind of technology level would the game have? Like, Earth ten years from now, or something a bit more futuristic like the recent Battlestar Galactica?

Also, not to be a jerk, but do you mean two thirds or three quarters of the population?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Shia

And I'm absolutely in ;) :)
Just waiting for further info, but I'm definitely interested in playing a specialits's/technician's relative or maybe a psychologist /something like this/, we'll see. Till that you can read my on/off-s etc., and I'll follow the posts here ;) :)

Trinket

Two thirds, thank you for catching that. I don't quite know where the technology level would be, but any input on that area would be appreciated.

Shia

So now we're waiting for experts ;) The emotional part is given ;) :))

Gentle Eyes

PeacethatPowerbrings

A technology level somewhere around the early Part of the Ender series from Orson Scott Card would be right. Relativistic travel, artificial gravity, but overall not too advanced.

I'm interested, by the way.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Trinket

I don't believe I'm to familiar with that series, but it sounds a good basis if you could help with setting that part up if there needs to be anymore to it?

Vandren

Two thoughts that could be helpful:

1) Hydroponics are fairly easy to keep going once they've been set up, plus they provide O2 and a possible recycled H2O source.

2) As far as animal/plant-life goes, if the society's advanced enough for space travel over long distances, they may already have mapped the genomes of various species.  Rather than having to take living animals, they may be able to get away with carrying the genetic information for them (a lot less space needed), assuming too that cloning technology is at least at early-21st century levels before they leave.  (Last news story I saw, there's a chance that we're within a century of being able to consider cloning some extinct species.)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

OldSchoolGamer

One idea would be a technological backslide...maybe even to near-modern levels.  Most technological complexity requires all elements to function properly.  If some sort of cataclysm wiped out our transportation system, our technology level would begin to degrade almost immediately.

Trinket

I'm not sure how that would work since they need to get off the planet and if the level is degrading so rapidly wouldn't everyone die, because they wouldn't be able to get off the planet... or would this happen after they leave and/or find a new place to settle?