HELP!!! PM's not sending!

Started by Shadowclaw, April 12, 2014, 11:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowclaw

I'm having a HORRIBLE time with this problem. I get that green box saying my message was successfully sent, then I never hear back from the person. Half the time my messages don't send so I get into a conversation with someone and suddenly they stop responding.

Its hard to diagnose because I don't know if they didn't get it or if they're just busy, but I've gotten conformation from Moirae and CrystalFeathers that they're not even getting the messages. It seems to be totally random. I thought maybe it was me, so I reset my router and modem but its still happening. Can someone please help me make sense of this and fix the problem? I don't know what to do. I don't know how I'm going to roleplay here if I can't even talk to people. :(

Blythe

Do you save copies of your sent messages on E (there's a setting in your profile that can turn that function on)? Sometimes this helps me determine if I've sent a message or not (maybe might help you figure out which messages, if any, are being sent?)

Shadowclaw

You mean when what I sent shows up in the conversation history? I'm not sure what you mean.... *goes to look*

Edit:
Yes, "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default." is checked.

All I know is my messages are showing up in the PM conversation history of each PM title, but the other person isn't getting them half the time.

jouzinka

If they are showing in the conversation for you, then I think they must be sending. It could be a label problem of the recipients (if they do use labels).
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

jouzinka

Also, if it's a group conversation, you can be (mis)hitting a "quote" instead of "quote/reply all." One sends message only to the sender, the other to everyone in the conversation.

Shadowclaw

These are just PM convos with individual people... I don't know how to do group. So my only options are rely, quote, and reply to all. I've used all three. It doesn't really matter which one of those three I press I think... seems to happen with all of them.

Caeli

Strange... and they are for sure sending to the correct user?  (This mainly happens to me in 'Conversation' mode, but I'll sometimes reply directly to a previous post I sent because it was the last in a conversation, and it turns out that I just sent the PM to myself.)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

jouzinka

Quote from: Caeli on April 12, 2014, 02:16:01 PM
Strange... and they are for sure sending to the correct user?  (This mainly happens to me in 'Conversation' mode, but I'll sometimes reply directly to a previous post I sent because it was the last in a conversation, and it turns out that I just sent the PM to myself.)
This is a really good point...

Shadowclaw

I'll keep an eye out for that... I don't know if that's the problem though.

jouzinka

For every individual PM you should be able to see the sender as well as the recipient(s).

consortium11

Quote from: Caeli on April 12, 2014, 02:16:01 PM

I end up doing this far, far, far too often...

Blythe

Quote from: Shadowclaw on April 12, 2014, 01:50:08 PM
You mean when what I sent shows up in the conversation history? I'm not sure what you mean.... *goes to look*

Edit:
Yes, "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default." is checked.

All I know is my messages are showing up in the PM conversation history of each PM title, but the other person isn't getting them half the time.

Hmmmm. Could you try sending me a PM to see if it would go through? Title the subject line as: Test

Let me know in this thread if the sent PM shows up in your "sent items" if you send it. (You would need to go to your private messages, scroll over the "messages" tab, and click "Sent Items" to view your sent messages.)

Shadowclaw

Blythe

Your PM arrived in my inbox without an issue, Shadowclaw. If you continue to have issues sending/receiving PMs, though, perhaps you might want to consider asking Vekseid to see what the problem is?

Shadowclaw

Can you go back and forth with me for a while and see if it happens. I'll try clicking on different buttons. Reply, reply to all, and quote to see if one of those triggers the problem.

Blythe

Can do, Shadowclaw. I'll be sure to quote every previous message you send so you can see for sure that I've read and received it.

Make sure to check your sent items after every message to see which ones show up in there.

Shadowclaw

Well so far no problems. I may have actually been clicking on my own reply instead of the other person's... I don't know for sure.

But seriously, I really want to know why that is even a feature? Why can't the owner just hide, remove, or disable it? The only purpose it seems to serve is screwing up the PM convo. Seems like enough people in this thread alone have mentioned it as a problem enough times to consider doing something about it.

If that's happened it wouldn't be the first time. It's happened to me before. Seems like a lot of forums either have the reply link/button at the top or at the bottom of each message. You get into the habit of doing it one way, then that habit screws you over in another forum. lol