Pathfinder on Maptools

Started by godfang, April 14, 2013, 01:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godfang

I was thinking if there are folks that would be interested in a pathfinder game on the Maptools virtual table program (or any simmilar programs). I can definitely DM, though i would also like to play. Perhaps we can have people take turns dm-ing, with the party returning to a central hub at the end of each game?  I'm at GMT+7 and am free most weekday nights or all day on weekends.

Things i'm looking for
-A group of 3-4 players, ideally people who can dm
-People willing to brainstorm and contribute to the world building/game setup process
-Mature people who can balance between the serious bits and erotic content

If anyone is interested, perhaps we can talk it over here?

FragarachZ

I'd be interested in this if we can get a willing and working group together.
O&O

Muse

I'd certainly be interested in a game with rotating GMs, and I need to learn more about how to do online maps. 

Is maptools a site or a program? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

godfang

It's a free program, you can google it. Now it all depends on your time availability though. If everyone has schedules that are vastly different, using a play by post method would be better, since we don't need everyone to be online at once, BUT, it also means we have to deal with the usual problems of a play by post campaign (missing players, waiting for post).Ideally we can get at least 2-3 more players, preferably some female players too for balance, then we can start talking about settings

but first, can you guys describe your weekly availabilities?

Muse

I'm available pretty much any time I'm awake, except from 6PM to midnight U.S. Central time.  Of course, my sleep is totaly unpredictable. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

FragarachZ

My schedule is flexible for the time being, though any existing games with friends will have priority over an online game, and those we have on the weekends usually, though not on a weekly basis. Also, I'm in CET zone for comparison's sake.
O&O

Teo Torriatte

I would love to get in on this if the logistics work out.

I can guarantee availability from 8am to 12p U.S. Eastern Standard Time on any day, and then any time after 5pm or so on nights I have off. Only I don't get my nights off until less than a week ahead of time, in most cases.

AndyZ

Tentative interest.  Sunday afternoons would be best for me personally.  I'm just getting moved to full time so I don't know my schedule well yet.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

godfang

Ok, so perhaps we can try for a game on weekday evenings US time? (Saturday Morning my time, i am free right now since my football league is in the off seasons)?  Another good system is if we have a skype group or a hub where people can meet and chat, then we do one shots each time there's enough people and interest (of course you can also do episodic games, you just need to make sure the party returns to the hub after your game, then pick up the story where you left it next time)

Now, as for settings, pathfinder is ideally a steampunk or gunpowder era setting. Let's list a few settings we can use (feel free to add to the list)

1.Golarion (the safest choice since we it IS made for pathfinder)
2.Oriental Fantasy, either historical or using a homebrew setting, i have a wip setting for this
3.Steampunk, i have a setting we can use for this
4.Non Golarion high fantasy setting (again, i have a setting for this we can use)
5.Forgotten Realms (because it's easy finding information about it)

Ea (The steampunk setting)
http://z13.invisionfree.com/celestine/index.php?showtopic=655

Ilmaril (The high fantasy setting)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=145342.msg6550985#msg6550985

If you have any homebrew settings you want to propose we use, please link it here, or if you have any other settings in mind that i haven't mentioned, mention it here.

AndyZ

Oh, I just realized you're looking for people who can DM and brainstorm and such.  That's not even nearly me; I don't know Pathfinder half that well.  Sorry.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Florence

UUUUGH, y so many pathfinder games?

Seriously, I keep checking on here to see if there's any good system games I'd be interested in and its usually slim pickings... then all of a sudden, boom, pathfinder fever. xD

Ah well, color me interested. I'll make time, damnit xD

I'm not terribly good with DMing though, so if that's an absolute requirement I might have to pass unless everyone is willing to be /extremely/ patient with me when its my turn xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

godfang

@Finn: It's not an absolute requirement, as long as we have 3 dms or so we'll be fine and can switch around. It's also easy for casual dms to dm every now and then because you only need to do simple one shots

So, setting preference/ideas anyone?

Florence

Quote from: godfang on April 14, 2013, 09:36:06 PM
@Finn: It's not an absolute requirement, as long as we have 3 dms or so we'll be fine and can switch around. It's also easy for casual dms to dm every now and then because you only need to do simple one shots

So, setting preference/ideas anyone?

Forgotten Realms is my favorite and the one I'm, by far, most familiar with. If you want to do an Oriental Fantasy, I actually have a character in mind I could whip up for that, and we could actually set it IN the Forgotten Realms, specifically in the continent of Kara-tur.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kara-Tur

The character I have in mind is a ninja from Wa (basically Edo Period Japan)

If you'd prefer to use a homebrew thing, I have nothing particular in mind, but I'd be more than happy to help work out the setting and lore :3 I absolutely love world-building and all that fun jazz. Its mostly the number-crunching stuff I'm not so good at, ya know, making sure things are balanced mechanically and whatnot.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

FragarachZ

I'm not familiar with Golarion that much, I play an ongoing campaign set there, but that's about it. If we're going to rotate gamemastering, we could go with a generic fantasy setting so everyone has space to tell their stories? As for we base it off western fantasy or japanese mythology, I'm fine with either one. Also, what scope would this game be? If you take suggestions, could we run an E6 variant of pathfinder? Would make prepping and playing easier and faster in the long run I think?

Here's some campaign ideas:
-Western high fantasy (like FR or Golarion, except we can expand as we go)
-Western dark fantasy (similar to berserk, dragon age)
-Eastern fantasy (Japanese mythology, foxes, oni, spirits, sorcerers, ancient demonic armaments)
-Eastern low-magic (more samurai, ninja, politics, honor)
-Grand explorations (exploring unknown lands with a ship travelign across the sea or the sky. could be pirates, can mix in a bit of everything due to different cultures)
O&O

Florence

Quote from: FragarachZ on April 15, 2013, 04:23:39 AM
I'm not familiar with Golarion that much, I play an ongoing campaign set there, but that's about it. If we're going to rotate gamemastering, we could go with a generic fantasy setting so everyone has space to tell their stories? As for we base it off western fantasy or japanese mythology, I'm fine with either one. Also, what scope would this game be? If you take suggestions, could we run an E6 variant of pathfinder? Would make prepping and playing easier and faster in the long run I think?

Here's some campaign ideas:
-Western high fantasy (like FR or Golarion, except we can expand as we go)
-Western dark fantasy (similar to berserk, dragon age)
-Eastern fantasy (Japanese mythology, foxes, oni, spirits, sorcerers, ancient demonic armaments)
-Eastern low-magic (more samurai, ninja, politics, honor)
-Grand explorations (exploring unknown lands with a ship travelign across the sea or the sky. could be pirates, can mix in a bit of everything due to different cultures)

If we do an original setting, I do think things should be kept from being /too/ generic. Simply because if its too bland and generic, it might grow stale too quickly. Plus, a completely generic fantasy world lends to DMs pulling things out their ass and whatnot, which can result in a fairly inconsistent world.

I think I might come up with a few world ideas and put the general idea of them down here, for everyone to think on.

Florence

Ongaia =
(Note: Elves are not considered 'fey' in this setting.)

Ongaia was world once filled with lush rainforests and rich in magic. The fey were once dominant in this world, dwelling in a massive forest empire, living in harmony with the natural world. When the elves emerged, they viewed them as quaint, simple things, unthreatened by them, as they managed to maintain a reverence for nature much as they fey. The elves studied the natural world, developing powerful magics, and lived at peace with the fey.

However, one magical experiment of the elves went horribly wrong, transforming every elf in an entire city. Their skin blackened, their hair paled, and their eyes turned red. Their minds became twisted, feeling not only a right, but an obligation to dominate the rest of elf-kind. They became the first of the drow, but their numbers were too small. One drow city could not stand against an entire elven empire. They found their answer in a fledgling race: humanity.

Humanity was young, but numerous, and growing rapidly. They were ambitious and short-sighted. The drow used this to their advantage, manipulating the humans and turning them against the elves. The war that emerged was the first true war the world had ever known, and is still the largest it has ever bore witness to. The fey assisted the elves against the drow and humans. The war was long and bloody, and resulted in the creation of many vile weapons of war.

The drow, during this war, created the orcs through horrific experimentation. They bred humans and drow, and twisted the offspring with dark magics. The various goblinoid races were also the result of similar experiments. Many of the monsters that currently lurk the world are believed to have been spawned from this drow war machine. The drow even created the first instance of biological warfare, in the form of the magical sirenum virus, turning the fey infected with it into vampiric sirens, thirsting for the blood of others.

By the end of the war, the rainforests had been devastated, the fey driven into hiding in remote forests and glades. The drow were driven deep underground, and both human and elf-kind were driven to the brink of extinction. It is said that more sapient species were wiped out in that war than have ever existed since, but some survived. Man, elves and drow recovered and grew back their numbers. Orcs, goblins, trolls, ogres and many other vicious creations of the drow found themselves free of their shackles, with no master but their own bloodlust.

Some say the gods were born in the bloody wake of that war, either the souls of so many dead, violently, with the powerful magics thrown about and the death of so many fey, came together to form powerful deities, or perhaps the world itself created them as a defense, to prevent such a conflict from ever again threatening its existence. The fey themselves are the only ones long-lived enough to still remember such times, and they have all but cut themselves off from the other races. The youngest of they fey have been raised to fear and mistrust the other races, while the oldest, who still remember the carnage of the war, dislike, perhaps even despise them. There are even some fey who would prefer their people stop hiding and take back the world that was stolen from them.

Meanwhile, the drow, driven deep underground, have been waging war with their dwarven neighbors ever since, which has lead to dwarves coming to the surface for the first time, and interacting with the other races. They enjoy their closest relationship with humans, whom they trade with constantly, keeping their economy strong, allowing them to stay strong in their constant battle with the drow. Their gnomish cousins did not fair as well against the drow, and now have little they call their own underground, and have all but completely fled to the surface realm.

No one is quite certain where the halflings came from, quaint, peaceful little creatures they are. They are, perhaps the only race in the world to have never known major conflict, apart from fending off the occasional goblinoid raiding party. Still, despite their laid back nature, they have been known to show remarkable bravery when the situation calls for it, and their amiable nature has won them the friendship of most other civilized races.

It has been many aeons since that brutal war, though its scars still linger across the world. It has faded into folklore and legend, and only the reclusive fey truly recall what happened back then. The other races have all settled into their roles in the world, developed homes for themselves, and fight to defend them against enemies, while treating with their allies. The world has moved on, all except the fey.

So. How's that? :o If you don't wanna use it, that's cool. I'm actually quite proud of it, might use it for a story or something, perhaps talk some friends into doing a campaign in this world xD