News:

Main Menu

Blizzcon: 2011

Started by Callie Del Noire, October 21, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ofDelusions

5 man heroics will be wotlk difficulty.

Well, since I don't like the idea of timed challenge modes at all, I most likely wont be coming back to this game even if both GW2 and SWTOR somehow suck.

Inkidu

Quote from: AllieCat on October 29, 2011, 04:32:42 AM
Apparently Blizzard is dealing with a fairly major fuss about the closing ceremonies for Blizzcon as they broadcast a video statement by a member of the band Cannibal Corpse (who was there apparently to perform with the Blizzard Band Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftan).

The statement referred to Alliance players as "faggots" and "emo cocksuckers".

So you can imagine this raised a bit of an uproar (both on the LGBT side for using those terms in a derogatory manner, and on the general Alliance side, as for some folks it confirmed their theory that Blizzard prefers the Horde), and I think Blizzard reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly should have known better on the LGBT side, because this was an EDITED statement from 2007.. so it's not like they didn't KNOW what was on the video, this wasn't an off-the-cuff remark.

Blizzard went through a few half-apology/argument blue comments before they woke up and realized they screwed up and have basically said "Yeah, we screwed up badly. We apologize"

http://gaygamer.net/2011/10/blizzard_president_apologizes.html[/urlI ]
I heard about that, and there's also one confirmed case of actual physical assault against a lady who was alliance and that apparently ticked off some horde guy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Oh, WoW-obsessed players. Don't ever change.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2011, 10:57:44 AM
I heard about that, and there's also one confirmed case of actual physical assault against a lady who was alliance and that apparently ticked off some horde guy.

Though
Quote from: Shjade on October 29, 2011, 11:18:30 AM
Oh, WoW-obsessed players. Don't ever change.

If this had happened at, say, a football game, it'd barely make the police report in the local news. Everyone knows that supporters of different teams get into fights. But because it's a gathering of nerds, it's shocking and unusual...

LunarSage

Football Teams:  Real

WoW Factions:  Imaginary

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on October 29, 2011, 11:41:53 AM
Football Teams:  Real

WoW Factions:  Imaginary

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. For many football fans (heck, for many sports fans in general), pro sports is effectively imaginary. For the mildly overweight man with season tickets to his local Piggers team and the mildly overweight man who's a 3v3 Arena champion, what's the difference? If anything, the football fan's experience is more 'imaginary' because it's an entirely passive activity without participation.

LunarSage

But the teams actually exist in the real world.  They are -tangible-.  The Horde and the Alliance, like WoW gold are entirely make believe.  That's my point.

TheGlyphstone

And my point is that from the perspective of the fans we're discussing, they're both equally ephemeral and intangible. For all the Piggers fans out there, a minority of them will ever know their team as anything but figures moving around on a TV screen, and a tiny, tiny percentage will ever actually get to meet a team member or even be closer than watching them live from stadium seating. The best most of them will get is buying merchandise and vocally supporting their factionteam (and, of course, trash-talking the opposition).

Fans will be fans across the world, whatever activity they support. Crazy people will be crazy people, whatever form of craziness they manifest. These two categories can and often do overlap, and one set of enthusiasts shouldn't get any sort of pass on crazy behavior or excess simply because their fandom is more mainstream.

LunarSage

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I think assaulting someone over their WoW Faction is far more ridiculous than a fight between sports fans.  Mind you, both are ridiculous and wrong... but real life WoW Faction hate, especially to that extreme is downright stupid in my opinion. 

It's just a stupid game... and I'd say the same thing to an irate sports fan.  Well, maybe not when I'm within swinging distance.

TheGlyphstone

Fair enough. I just lump all fandoms, game or otherwise, into 'yeah, they disagree, get over it and punching them for it is stupid', whether it's real or imaginary or anything else.

Though now I kinda want to see a knock-down, drag-out fight between classical music fans over Bach vs. Motzart. Or fast food diners over McDonalds vs. Burger King. Or ice cream fans over chocolate vs. vanilla. Heck, let's have a mass gladiatorial death match between Team Edward and Team Jacob...at least that way the rest of us will get some entertainment.

Aiden

Hah I would not say "it's a stupid game" to a Raiders fan.  XD

I agree that some players take the game to the extreme and it is only those cases that get reported.

For the entire Horde/Alliance Bias I am sure we can argue for days on the topic so I won't even touch it. I will say that the Alliance has had more recognizable heroes in its storyline then the Horde, I think people think the Horde is favored simply because it has the "underdog" factor to it.

With the comment from the guy from Cannibal Corpse...It's the comment from a lead singer from a Death Metal band, can we really take anything he says seriously? Let's start talking about his lyrics of fucking someone with a knife or ripping the entrails out of a Virgin.

AllieCat

That's the thing. THEY KNEWwhat was on that video statement, and they went far enough to bleep it out on the webcast. If they knew it was that bad, and likely would have an effect, why leave it in there for the live audience? It was stupid of them, and then they nearly compounded it by trying to gloss over it, but they've recognized they screwed up and apologized,

And Horde. Underdog. yeah, that's not the situation, like ever?

TheGlyphstone

Pretty sure we had the whole Horde favoritism/underdog argument in the last major WoW off-topic thread done to death.

Shjade

Quote from: LunarSage on October 29, 2011, 11:47:50 AM
But the teams actually exist in the real world.  They are -tangible-.  The Horde and the Alliance, like WoW gold are entirely make believe.  That's my point.

The teams actually exist in the real world.

So does the game, World of Warcraft.

One is a contract distinction. The other is software. They're both real, existing things, and neither has any value to the people fighting over them aside from providing entertainment.

Fighting over WoW factions does not make less sense than fighting over sports factions. They're equally stupid.
◕/◕'s

LunarSage

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 29, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
Though
If this had happened at, say, a football game, it'd barely make the police report in the local news. Everyone knows that supporters of different teams get into fights. But because it's a gathering of nerds, it's shocking and unusual...
Typically though your average sports goer won't assault a woman out of the blue, especially if she was minding her own. :\
It's all equally stupid and shameful.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2011, 03:12:03 PM
Typically though your average sports goer won't assault a woman out of the blue, especially if she was minding her own. :\
It's all equally stupid and shameful.

Neither does your average sports goer WoW player.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 29, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
Neither does your average sports goer. I think.
Uh... I don't follow.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on October 29, 2011, 04:00:54 PM
Uh... I don't follow.

Your average Wow player doesn't assault a woman out of the blue who's minding her own business either, is what I was saying. Your comment seemed to imply that an average WoW player would do such a thing, though I've got a strong feeling that wasn't intentional.

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 29, 2011, 04:09:18 PM
Your average sports goer doesn't assault a woman out of the blue who's minding her own business either, is what I was saying. Your comment seemed to imply that an average WoW player would do such a thing, though I've got a strong feeling that wasn't intentional.

I believe his confusion stems from the fact that you repeated what he just said.

He said, "The average sports goer doesn't do X," to which you replied, "But the average sports goer doesn't do X."

I'm guessing you meant to say your average WoW player doesn't do X either and repeated "sports goer" instead, Glyph?
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Wolfy

So..do all Monks start off in Pandaria, or do they have their own special starting zone?

And for that matter, will all monks start at a special level, like Death Knights?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on October 29, 2011, 11:08:21 PM
So..do all Monks start off in Pandaria, or do they have their own special starting zone?

And for that matter, will all monks start at a special level, like Death Knights?

The start as normal 1st levels in their racial zones.

meikle

Quote from: ofDelusions on October 29, 2011, 05:20:30 AMWell, since I don't like the idea of timed challenge modes at all, I most likely wont be coming back to this game even if both GW2 and SWTOR somehow suck.
Oh man, the 45 minute Strat is still the one thing I look back to as being Most Enjoyable in WoW.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: meikle on October 30, 2011, 01:27:54 AM
Oh man, the 45 minute Strat is still the one thing I look back to as being Most Enjoyable in WoW.

Or as I call it now the six minute run. I got 93 mounts and want to gt a few more before 4.3 and the mountain press hit.