Black Tokyo Redux [NC-E]

Started by Chris Brady, March 18, 2009, 08:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

As far as system goes, if we don't use some kind of derivative of the original Black Tokyo d20 system (possibly having the GM create characters based on the descriptions of the players)  I would recommend using either Tri Stat DX (the cheaper generic alternative to BESM) RISUS, Fudge/Spirit of the Century, or some generic form of ORE or Storyteller.  (A mildly exalted derived system might just be a good way to run a hentai game)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Transgirlenstein

I would be interested in this if there is room/its still open :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Chris Brady

Actually, GT, Haibane, I am full...  But...  I suppose I could squeeze both of you in.  However, that is my max.  No more or the game will degrade.

[Edit]Ah Satyr, sorry dude, didn't see you...  But I can't handle any more.  Sorry, man.  :-(  I hate turning people away.

If I were to use a system (And I am a system gamer first) I am thinking of using Unisystem, Cinematic would be from Angel.  Mainly because BESM 3rd is a bit dense, and 2nd is roll under, which to me causes system issues.  And I'm burnt out on D20.

For those who don't know Unisystem, it is a 'Stat+Skill+1 ten sided die roll, must beat nine'.  The base human stats for everything is 2, as is the average in a skill, so basically the average person needs a 5 or better on a D10.  (2+2+1D10, beat 9)

The game system for the basic engine is free to download here:  http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/index.html
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

The Great Triangle

*nods*  So the system baseline essentially works like storyteller, with stats rated between 1 and 5, 2 being average?

Ons and Offs

Hikari

I don't really know Unisystem, but that's not an issue for me beyond character creation.  And I've already got the concept work and everything done, so working it through system gives me something to do?

Sounds fine to me, regardless!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Corinthi

If anyone needs help statting a character, I'd be happy to help via PMs. Just drop me a line. I've all the books and have run more than a couple campaigns with Buffy/Angel.

The Great Triangle

Also, how dark or light is this game going to be? 

I'm not sure whether I want to play a comedic revolutionary girl utena type character or a dark antihero with a tortured past.

I do know I plan on having much of my character be based on her possession of religious texts from the demon world though. 

Ons and Offs

Cosmo_ac

i might need some help, Corin as the link posted tells me nothing.

The Great Triangle

You're looking for the witchcraft RPG free download.  I'm not sure of how much use the book is, since I'm not sure how much is being used, but the basic system is the one we're using.  :)

Ons and Offs

Crovonovin

Quote from: Corinthi on March 19, 2009, 07:26:27 PM
If anyone needs help statting a character, I'd be happy to help via PMs. Just drop me a line. I've all the books and have run more than a couple campaigns with Buffy/Angel.

I think I'll have to take you up on that offer...what sort of information do you need us to send you?  Systems always tend to baffle me...since this'd be my first!  I'll have to look through that downloaded book also.

Cosmo_ac

aha,ok, i think i got it now. Will check it out once it downloads.

Corinthi

If you need help, just PM me a brief description of your character's role, natural aptitudes, and what special skills and weaknesses they might have.

I'll pm back a preliminary character sheet with explanations for everything, and we can tweak if you like.

For example,

Name: Shogo Niida
Role: Breakdancing Demon Slayer
Aptitudes: Highly physically adept and quick. Not too clever or charismatic.
Skills: Dancing, Acrobatics, Athletics, Mad Kung Fu and Sword Skills.
Weaknesses: Impulsive, Aggressive, Enemy of Demons, Hatred of Demons, Horndog.

Chris Brady

Quote from: The Great Triangle on March 19, 2009, 07:07:41 PM
*nods*  So the system baseline essentially works like storyteller, with stats rated between 1 and 5, 2 being average?

Not...  Quite.  1 to 6 is the human range with 6 being Batman level, but the stats can and do go higher for monster types.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 19, 2009, 08:40:34 PM
Not...  Quite.  1 to 6 is the human range with 6 being Batman level, but the stats can and do go higher for monster types.

Ahh... which character creation guidelines are we going to use?  Can we use material from other unisystem games, like say Angel or All Flesh Must be Eaten?

Ons and Offs

Chris Brady

That's a bit of a hang up for me at the moment.  Because first, I would like to use the basic Unisystem, CineUni is too broad for this, but at the same time Angel's monster creation qualities are perfect for this...

The Great Triangle

Well, if I can put in my two cents, I think a character creation system that gave the PCs around 15-18 points for attributes, 20 points for skills, 15 points for qualities, and 10-15 "wildcard" points for supernatural stuff or fleshing out character design would be about reasonable for anime high schoolers. 

But on the other hand, I've just had a lot of trouble with anime based games quickly becoming overpowered, and I like more street level action.  (For my character, I want a high toughness, low willpower, low finesse character with a magic ritual or two and a couple of artifacts from the demon world that she doesn't quite understand.)

Ons and Offs

Corinthi

I /really/ prefer Cinematic Unisystem. I think on a system level, Classic Unisystem is too detailed. Unique skills for each facet of life. I've the same problem with Gurps.

Great Triangle's point spread looks pretty good for High Schoolers Versus the demon world. At least by my eyes.

Hikari

I have no strong feelings either way.  They'd both be alright by me.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Haibane

I'm sorry Chris, I think I'll drop out, I'm not a system gamer at all. Freeform is my thing.

Chris Brady

Cosmo_ac

i don't think it matters a ton as to what system we use, but something i should point out, and this could be just the system i looked at, and i only really gave it a glance, but it does seem that it was set up so that charactors that are mundain would be somewhat compensated for their lack of spiritual/demonic augmentation, usually in the way of stats like strength, dexterity, etc.  I plan on playing a mundain charactor, but i don't want to be too badly knee-capped because of that choice, though i know it will still limit my charactor in certain ways and accept that.

Elohim

Well I really wouldn't think mundane characters will be limited,  perhaps by having their otherworldly self die they're given their own supernatural capabilities.  It does make the game even more personaesque but its could be a way to bridge the gap.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on March 20, 2009, 12:45:09 PM
i don't think it matters a ton as to what system we use, but something i should point out, and this could be just the system i looked at, and i only really gave it a glance, but it does seem that it was set up so that charactors that are mundain would be somewhat compensated for their lack of spiritual/demonic augmentation, usually in the way of stats like strength, dexterity, etc.  I plan on playing a mundain charactor, but i don't want to be too badly knee-capped because of that choice, though i know it will still limit my charactor in certain ways and accept that.

Really, supernatural qualities don't seem to be THAT big of a deal.  I'm planning on going ahead and taking a couple, but they seem to be priced fairly compared to non supernatural traits given their limitations.  (For example, following the witchcraft rules, if a character uses miracles, she has to spend 10 points on qualities, then 5 points on metaphysics per miracle.  Miracles do enable spectacular things like gaining +5 strength for a scene, but these impressive things are generally only possible once per day, and only in life or death situations.  Compared to mundane qualities, the supernatural could even be a bit overpriced.)

Ons and Offs

Chris Brady

Welp, I'm thinking of using Angel, I have the PDF (I used to own the book before I moved, of course it was the first thing I lost) so it makes it easiest for me to use, rather than Witchcraft, which is admittedly more granular.

Transgirlenstein

If its system I think I will bow out.  Sorry.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0