What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on October 19, 2021, 02:28:12 PM
I understand it's a radio host the headline reads but the name seems too on the nose to not be a coincidence.

They probably figured 'right-wing media nutjob' was too informal.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Skynet

This is one of US conservatism's "intellectual heavyweights" lol.

QuoteA conservative US commentator has suggested America should “invade” to liberate Australians from “tyrannical” Covid-19 restrictions, likening the country to the early stages of a dictatorship under Hitler or Stalin.

Daily Wire host Candace Owens made the provocative comments in her Tuesday show, saying that her husband has family members in Australia, one of whom recently shared that “the mental state of everyone around her was in steep decline”.

“She shared with him a message that she had received from a friend of hers, a woman who lives in Queensland, and the message is genuinely shocking,” Owens said.

“I was shocked reading this message and I decided that for this episode I’m just going to read it for verbatim. It’s a list of the Covid rules that Australian citizens are being made to follow. As I read this I want you to close your eyes and imagine that this was your life, and what your mental state would be like if you were being made to abide by these rules.”

Lustful Bride

A propgun somehow led to a death and an injury on the set of a new Alec Baldwin movie.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/alec-baldwin-fires-prop-gun-on-set-of-movie-killing-a-crew-member-and-injuring-director/ar-AAPOyR5?ocid=msedgntp

I don't fully understand what happened but the article draws a comparison to Brandon Lee during the filming of The Crow. This is a horrible tragedy and I'm sad to see prop mistakes can still happen like this :(

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 22, 2021, 12:21:41 AM
I don't fully understand what happened but the article draws a comparison to Brandon Lee during the filming of The Crow.

In the case of Brandon Lee, an unfilled cartridge (used to give the revolver a genuine appearance of being loaded) got stuck in the barrel and wasn't noticed.  When the scene was filmed, the blank gunpowder charge was able to propel that with almost the same force as an actual cartridge.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Haibane

Quote from: Lilias on October 21, 2021, 03:53:45 PM
The 55th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster: https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-10-21/how-the-aberfan-disaster-is-still-being-remembered-55-years-on

An awful, awful, terrible day. Well before my time but reading accounts of it I can only feel deep empathy for the victims and their relatives and friends.

I wanted to just post this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59013608

More right wing dinosaurs trying to hold back inevitable change by putting their finger in the hole of a dyke... and the floodwaters will not be stopped.

Oniya

Quote from: Haibane on October 22, 2021, 12:54:39 PM
An awful, awful, terrible day. Well before my time but reading accounts of it I can only feel deep empathy for the victims and their relatives and friends.

I wanted to just post this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59013608

More right wing dinosaurs trying to hold back inevitable change by putting their finger in the hole of a dyke... and the floodwaters will not be stopped.

Since the URL has no information on the article content:  Seven students are suing a Texas school district over its dress-code policy banning boys from having long hair.

Lustful Bride

GOP Misgenders four star Admiral Rachel Levine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-lawmakers-twitter-censored-after-calling-rachel-levine-a-man/ar-AAPTTXf?ocid=msedgntp

Its like everything the GOP does these days is just to show they can always be more horrible, even to those that serve and protect the nation. I hope this comes back to bite them ten fold.

TheGlyphstone

We already knew the GOP hates the military, if they're not personally loyal to Trump.

Annaamarth

In my experience, the military tends towards an authoritarian bent, with the clear understanding that the highest authority comes from civilians.  You call officers Sir or Ma'am if they outrank you - you typically call all civilians Sir or Ma'am, because they outrank you.

I don't think I knew a lot who would have backed a coup, because we knew we existed to kill people and break things - and nobody wants that at home.
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

RedRose

“They called her 'dirty Arab', 'dirty lesbian', 'dirty mixed race'.

(the English is awful, but yeah)

https://movs.world/suicide-of-dinah-victim-of-school-bullying-update-on-the-investigation/

As usual it's about "we shouldn't have to move to another school" "the kid needs to adapt"

I hate my country sometimes
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Sara Nilsson

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2021/10/25/police-lied-septa-rape/

So there was this story not long ago about a Rape on the SEPTA elevated train where people not only didn't do anything but was recording on their cellphones.

Well.. at least that is what the police said.

Anyone surprised that the cops fucking lied? Why do the press always report what the cops in this country say as if it is true.They are caught lying so often it isn't funny.

The story is far more complicated and now the cops are backtracking like fucking mad.

Kitteredge

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 27, 2021, 05:29:21 PM
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2021/10/25/police-lied-septa-rape/

So there was this story not long ago about a Rape on the SEPTA elevated train where people not only didn't do anything but was recording on their cellphones.

Well.. at least that is what the police said.

Anyone surprised that the cops fucking lied? Why do the press always report what the cops in this country say as if it is true.They are caught lying so often it isn't funny.

The story is far more complicated and now the cops are backtracking like fucking mad.

Didn't the Philly police yank a black woman out of a car, then film one of their own hugging her son to 'console' him to post on social media about how kind they are?

I'm not surprised. That SEPTA story didn't ring true to me at all. People simply aren't that way. Even the famous Kitty Genovese story, about how she was attacked in Queens neighborhood and everyone ignored it was a lie.

Beorning

Unfortunately, I don't have any English-language link, but the Polish parliament is currently (as in, this very moment) debating the citizens-sponsored draft of a bill that aims to ban all expression of pro-LGBT views. If this bill passes, simply saying publicly that same-sex marriage is okay, will be a crime.

The mastermind behind this bill is Kaja Godek, the same religious fanatic who's responsible for last year's ban on abortion.

We'll see what comes out of it and if the ruling coalition will bow to the fanatics' demands once more...

RedRose

I've heard again and again that "people don't do anything" and indeed sometimes it's true
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Beorning

Link on the debate:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/10/29/polish-parliament-debates-bill-to-ban-promoting-homosexuality-and-lgbt-parades/

The most puke-inducing thing I heard said by the bill's authors? The claim that LGBT+ people are depressed and suicidal not because of any intolerance, but because they aren't allowed to take conversion therapies...  >:(  >:(  >:(

Shekinah

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Oniya

Spanish author Carmen Mola turns out to be three men.

The revelation came when they accepted the Planeta Literary Award and a sizeable monetary award.

Skynet

TW: CSA
A notable figurehead in QAnon communities turns out to be a convicted child molester.

QuoteDetails have emerged revealing that a notable influencer in the QAnon conspiracy community is a convicted sex offender of child sex abuse.

David Todeschini, 70, who goes by "David Trent" online, commands an audience of thousands for his online content discussing the QAnon conspiracy. In these videos, he regularly accuses prominent Democrats and left-wing figures of pedophilia and general child abuse.

Despite this, public records obtained by Right Wing Watch showed that Todeschini himself has a history of sexually abusing children, going back to a May 1999 ruling. He was convicted of one count each of sexual abuse in the first degree and sodomy in the second degree after he was found to have manipulated an 8-year-old boy into sexual acts in 1996. He had no known prior affiliation with the child.

The self-projection is strong in this one.

Beorning

People in Poland are protesting against the anti-abortion laws again. The current protests are sparked by the news of a woman's death caused by the doctors not terminating her failing pregnancy and waiting for the foetus to die naturally:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/11/07/three-quarters-of-poles-want-abortion-law-softened-amid-protests-over-pregnant-womans-death/

Of course, the ruling party claims that Poland's ultra-strict anti-abortion laws had nothing to do with this death. Some of them are also displaying a sickening lack of basic empathy - like the one (quite important) MP whose comment amounted to "Well, that's a tragedy, but women do die due to pregnancies and childbirths, that's just the way it is..."  >:(

Blythe

Trigger warning: Domestic violence, abuse, murder.

https://gamerant.com/skyrim-in-real-life-tiktok-jinnkid-murder-arrest/

It's weird for me, because I used to watch his videos and the Skyrim in RL ones were some of my favorites but this...

Just....damn. I will never watch his stuff again.

Oniya

That poor 5-year-old...   :'(

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 11, 2021, 01:28:00 PM
Looks like Book Burning is coming back under the guise of "Think of the Children!".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-think-we-should-throw-those-books-in-a-fire-movement-builds-on-right-to-target-books/ar-AAQyk6o?ocid=msedgntp

'What does your little book tell you, Dr. Jones?'  - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.