Wintercat

"Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods
Where’s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds

Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need"
-Bonnie Tyler - Holding out for a Hero.

The world is burning, and the shadows cross the lands. Cities lay in ruins, and dead litter the streets. The young heroes that stood up bravely to defend all they held dear shone brightly for a moment, and then their life was cut short, their end sealed. Within this world, destruction has become so common that most tears have ran dry, and most people hold no hope for the future.

In a decade a man calling himself Cho'den stood up and blashemed against the Gods themselves, facing them with his power, fighting the divine and cutting down everyone and everything in his path of blood. In his wake, the Pantheon fell silent, slain upon his blade, as gods blood ran free. The elements have become wild, the land has flourished with the rise of magic, and then darkened with the rise of destruction.

What people thought was a new age of plenty became an age of strife in mere months as the darkness began to settle in, and life after another was claimed, and rose again in service of the power that sought to annihilate all that opposed it, and conquer this world. Cho'den was whispered to be the coming of the end, a person so strong even the Gods themselves fell before his blade, there was no hope for any of them.

Yet a man stood up, dressed in the armor of a Paladin, and carrying the words of a Sorcerer, a man who gave no name for the historians to scribe down stood up to this villain, and the two of them fought, even as the world around them was being burned to the ground and torn to shreds. The two engaged in a battle that destroyed anything that came too near, but yet even as their battle raged on, it was not the worst.

With the silence in the Pantheon's halls, and with the death of the gods, their blood fallen to the mortal soil, the Lords of Enthropy whispered of a coming of an end. Finally, the time was ready. They would end the abomination of life, and all that would be would rest in the tranquility of death, return to the state of non-existance where it belonged. No good, no evil, no law and no chaos.

Yet even as these horrors gnawed on the very fabric of the world, they were reluctant to come near the heart of the world, where two fought on still, a Paladin-Sorcerer striking with might and magic against the power of the Lord Cho'den. The dark mage and the Paladin-Sorcerer clashed against one another with fierce force that made even the Lords of Enthorpy hesitate in their quest to purge the world to the arms of oblivion.

So destruction of the world was halted only by the other power that was destroying it at its heart. Words spread of a new hope, of a great sage, who had an answer that might give them all a chance.

Through the combined efforts of the Paladin-Sorcerer, and the Sage Ragadash, a powerful spell was created and forced to existence, that drew on the very essence of Gods, to create a blazing star in the darkened sky, pulsing with the power of the Lord Cho'den and the Paladin-Sorcerer, locked away for all eternity to continue their battle, but yet radiating upon the world a new life, a new light, that would let it stand up from its worst.

It was a blasted wasteland, but a little food could grow here and there, although the blackened forests offered little solace for those that survived for dreams of the future.

That was over 200 years ago. The age of Destruction remains, and though some small towns and even cities have stood up from the darkness, new heroes are rare sight, for those that wander past the walls of their towns are almost never heard of again. Death is ever present and familiar to the people. Some pray that this world would come to an end so a new world could be born. There are no more Gods to answer those prayers. No more direction for the ancient powers that spread across this land.

In the sky, two suns shine most of the time, and when one sets the other remains high, always shining some light to even darkest reaches of the world that remains. Its shine is dimmed by the dark clouds that gather, but enough passes by that there is still day, and there is still night.

Legends speak of better times, when life was joyful, pleasant, delightful. In these blasted remains, people struggle just to survive one more day.

There are no more new heroes.

But there are the Veterans. The Elite of the Elite. The best, and perhaps the worst, that have survived in this world.

Word has come that a man claiming to be from the outside arrived recently, bearing strange marks, and news. There is a word that the Saga Ragadash still lives, and a whisper that the relighting of this world to slow down the world-gnawing Enthropy was just the first step.

Whether this world plunges into oblivion, or becomes restored, destroyed and reborn, there will be no more new heroes. Only those who have survived till now are strong enough to take those odds.

This game takes place in a Custom Homebrew world, called Aher-Asak. I am using the Pathfinder rules for this game.

Starting Level: 15
Starting Races: Any Core Race, Convince me otherwise, Level Adjustment can be considered accordingly for more powerful race. No custom races, please.
Starting Classes: Any Core Class or from Advanced Player's Guide, for anything else, inquire. No custom classes, please.
Attention, Please! Since Gods are dead, worshipping Ideas & Concepts might still grant a Cleric power, but there is no Divines in the Halls of the Pantheon.

Starting Abilities: 35 Point Point Buy, plus Ability Increases from leveling up till level 15 normally.
Hit Points: Maximized.
Starting Wealth & Gear: 240,000 gold pieces to spend on this. Artifacts are not for sale, but otherwise characters should have been able to come across most kinds of magical items during their former travels, upto the set wealth limit. If you can argument it well enough, you can even 'spend it all in one place' if you wish. Keep in mind that items may come and go in this game.

Traits: Each character begins with 2 optional traits, if the player does not wish to receive a trait (from Advanced Player's Guide) they do not have to, but there is no trade-off for this. Additional traits can be acquired -at character creation- at taking a feat provided by the same book for this purpose.

Overarching Goal: The game is set in a dying, lost world. Events before the characters could do anything took place and ruined most of the blasted landscape beyond saving. Hundreds of would-be heroes have fallen. A dozen have climbed atop those bones left by the ones that came before, and made their way to fame, across the known remaining world, but news have become scarce as the lands are too dangerous for most to even think about making it from town to town.

The characters are among the Most Powerful People alive in the world, with not even Gods remaining. Lords of Enthropy are a threat that is supposedly kept away by the light, but most long-lived races whisper that light is dimmer and dimmer each passing year, the clouds gathering, and the shine being drowned out. Even where it has been changed for a while with magic, the light's shine is not as strong as some races, and old scriptures remember to tell it to be.

Characters have a chance to travel all across the blasted world, see what they can learn, what they can do, and what choices they may take. The game also offers options of changing things greatly, along the way or in the end.

If this game takes up and goes on to the very end, this game's end also offers a bit of extra incentive.

The players will get a chance to narrate part of what becomes after. Unless the players lead the world to Oblivion, their actions may have changed this world, or destroyed it to create a new one in time. At this point, players will have a chance to affect what follows.

Because this game is, in case the game does not end up in complete Oblivion for Aher-Asak, the restoration of the said world. This may lead to a new world spawned from the ashes of the last, or the cleansing of this world for a new age, but this custom game world will remain, and be available for future games I may be running with Pathfinder after. Victorious players may be there to later decide what the Gods of this world may be, they may be instrumental in shaping what the world becomes, and almost certainly they will be remembered, hailed as heroes or remembered as the dreams of the Last World.

The theme song for this campaign would be "Bonnie Tyler's Holding out for a Hero", and its reference in Games would have to be Chrono Trigger.

If that hint tells you anything, you are extremely welcome along, friend.

ALSO! I am putting one Character slot into Reserve, for a particular player, if they want to join along.

This is not "First Come, First Served" game. I want to hear what you have in mind and discuss things with you, and I'll pick the players and their characters along then.

In case of not enough player-interest, I will put this game to ice to wait for another time.

I am considering this game for a team of 3-5 characters. Ideal would be 4, but I can bend 1 character's amount either way.

This is a custom homebrew world I have created over a decade's worth of thoughts and ideas have been sank into it, this world was already once destroyed at the end of a campaign where the Characters were allowed to become more than Gods themselves. This game takes place in a 'what if' that another character opened up as a possibility, years later.

As such, this world has a great amount of history and detail to it, not as much in the age of destruction as its previous ages held, but still an amount that should not be considered lightly.

This game will also be played under the belief that the players are smart enough to know their characters actions and choices have consequences.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

PhantomPistoleer

Interested.

I will generate character concept when you accept submissions.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Pockets

Certainly interested. Have a concept in mind and will relay it when you're ready.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Black Howling

Not usually interested in games starting over 6th level, but you just caught my interest with this idea. I'll work on a character concept for it all. I have some ideas swarming, and look forward to seeing what other people throw in as well.

Wintercat

Welcome to the thread, I'm going to have to see how this turns out but as said this is not intended as a 'first come, first served' game, rather I would hope to see it played by a group of people I could hope to see carry the game on to the very end.

I imagine this would not be a short adventure but an ongoing campaign for quite some time, and as such I would hope to see a group of people that can play fairly regularily and enjoy one another's company in game. The thread is marked as Extreme given that I imagine that there will be situations where things are best rated for what they are.

People are free to show their thoughts for a character concept and discuss them here, I'll try and provide answers as well, and help out with things. I don't want to sound elitist with the whole 'picking of players' but aim to gather folks I think will be along to the very end, and that might enjoy the tale together. I am repeating myself a bit but I think that part is important enough to mention more than once.

I also realize it might be a rather strange game to see, as it stands.

Nonetheless, I am glad to see there is some interest.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Lady Lunarius

~Slips her interest in here~ I'm in just gotta get a concept down, time to shackle the muse and break out the wax.
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

PhantomPistoleer

Withdrawing interest.  Not familiar enough with Pathfinder.

Good luck.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

WyzardWhately

I'm very interested.  At this point in my gaming career, I really don't apply any more for games that are first-come-first-serve.  I'd definitely like to try playing a game where the PCs have the power to shape the world, instead of being mooks for hire.

I'd like to play a Wizard, whose goal is to establish his own city-state where he can rule with an iron fist.  I'm a fan of playing morally complex characters, and in this case it would be fun to have one who is driven to do the right thing (save the world, establish an island of safety and civilization, help preserve or revive at least a spark of what was lost) for largely self-aggrandizing reasons.  I'm happy to come up with some more information and background as need be, depending on what you want to see in an application.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Wheresmycow

My interest got pinged, especially when you mentioned 'Chrono Trigger'.  So many fond memories.

Working on several different character concepts, so far trying to decide between a half-elf rogue named Wastrel, a human fighter named Brand or a monk of some sort.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Lady Lunarius

I also have an idea for a Wiz/Cler/Mys.The. combo. I'll work on it and get it to you with a concept asap. ;)

Then again I have an idea for an oracle that I hope comes out well I have to post it in the morning as I'm tired....
LaLu's Delicious treats!

CirclMastr

Color me interested, though I haven't got a concept in mind yet.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Callie Del Noire

Name: Requiem
Class Wizard 15
Race: Elf
Sex: Female

Background: She has walked the lands before, though she has little memory of it. The first memory of this life was waking in a sealed tower, long toppled and forgotten. She had been a student.. or a master.. in an arcane school that had sealed themselves away from the world in hopes of finding some long lost secret to renewing the world. The tower was filled with many fallen scholars and wizards, anyone of them could have been her past life she realized as she studied what had happened. They had failed, and because they had cut themselves from the world so thoroughly there was no way for them all to be free.

Great magics were performed as one among them was selected to move back into the world and do what they had failed to do. She awoke as their last spell tore away the barrier that they had hidden behind, killing them all and wiping away most of what they had built. Leaving her to find her way in the world. Relearning the role she had walked before, that of a wizard. Walking away with a handful of scrolls and tomes, she set out to help rebuild the world and if need came to be find ways to escape it and take others with her.

She does what she can to help others, and defend those that remain who can't defend themselves against the things that threaten them. She eschews the magics of death and deceit as much as she can as she strives to find the lost magics to create planar gates and worlds beyond the planes to help other escape. She tries to build more than destroy but does as needed to keep folk alive.

Note: There are few spells I'd LOVE to have from the Ultimate Magic book, but as yet there is the big matter of how to get extra spells the +2/level limits a spell book to a very small size. :D

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-Rough Character-
REQUIEM   
Female Elf Wizard 15
NG Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Init +4; Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception +18
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 10. . (+4 Dex)
hp 97 (15d6)
Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +10
Immune sleep; Resist Elven Immunities
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee Unarmed Strike +7/+2 (1d3/20/x2)
Wizard Spells Known (CL 15, 7 melee touch, 11 ranged touch):
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 22, Wis 12, Cha 12
Base Atk +7; CMB +7; CMD 21
Feats Arcane Armor Training, Arcane Blast, Arcane Shield, Arcane Strike, Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Staff, Craft Wondrous Item, Elven Weapon Proficiencies, Maximize Spell, Scribe Scroll, Wizard Weapon Proficiencies
Traits Classically Schooled, Forlorn
Skills Craft: Alchemy +15, Craft: Weapons +15, Diplomacy +5, Fly +13, Heal +7, Knowledge: Arcana +19, Knowledge: Dungeoneering +15, Knowledge: Geography +15, Knowledge: Local +15, Knowledge: Nature +15, Knowledge: Religion +15, Knowledge: The Planes +19, Linguistics +14, Perception +18, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +25, Survival +5, Swim +4
Languages Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Ignan, Orc, Sylvan
SQ Bonded Object: -Choose- (1/day) (Sp), Elemental Wall (15 rounds/day) (Sp), Elven Magic, Evocation, Force Missile (9/day) (Sp), Illusion, Intense Spells +7 (Su), Necromancy

--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Arcane Armor Training Swift action: -10% arcane spell failure due to armor.
Arcane Blast Convert a level 1+ spell into a 30' ranged touch attack dealing 2d6+1d6/spell level
Arcane Shield Convert a level 1+ spell into + Spell Level deflection bonus to AC for 1r.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Bonded Object: -Choose- (1/day) (Sp) DC 20 + spell level to cast spells without the bonded object. Once per day, you can cast any spell in your spellbook for free.
Combat Casting +4 to Concentration checks to cast while on the defensive.
Elemental Wall (15 rounds/day) (Sp) Create wall of energy for 1 round / level / day.
Elven Immunities +2 save bonus vs Enchantments.
Elven Immunities - Sleep You are immune to Sleep effects.
Elven Magic +2 racial bonus on caster checks to overcome spell resistance.  +2 to spellcraft checks to determine the properties of a magic item.
Evocation Evokers revel in the raw power of magic, and can use it to create and destroy with shocking ease.
Force Missile (9/day) (Sp) Magic Missile hits for 1d4+7
Illusion You must spend 2 slots to cast spells from the Illusion school.
Intense Spells +7 (Su) + 1/2 wizard level to spell damage (minimum +1).
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Maximize Spell All variable effects of a spell are maximized. +3 Levels.
Necromancy You must spend 2 slots to cast spells from the Necromancy school.

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Wheresmycow

Alright, tossing ideas around in my head has made me decide on Brand, sorcerer/fighter/dragon disciple multiclass.  I think of him as someone who has grew up being an amiable person, not exactly charming but friendly, and who used his minor abilities with magic to help in situations where hitting things wouldn't.  More than likely an orphan, but not one of the poor abused ones, probably one that ended up being raised in one of those communities were the kids are looked after by all the adults.  Regardless, it was when he reached adulthood that his draconic heritage kicked in, and he found out where he came from.  After that, he went off into the ruined world, because the blood in him sings for conflict and something greater than a small community in a dying world.

Going to make him good, though not sure if he'll be lawful, neutral or chaotic about it.  His draconic blood will tempt him towards destructive actions, so it's something he'll have to manage constantly.  I'll flesh this out some more, this is just me putting the idea out for the character.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Callie Del Noire

Drunkentarget

This sounds fun, I get the odd feeling that there is a snowballs chance of me getting on the guest list but I might as well toss my hat into the ring.
I've an idea for an Oracle, I'll write up a story for it in the morning.

Wintercat

Agreed, I was using old notes when thinking things through, but checked the Standard Wealth in Pathfinder. Updating first post, the Wealth for characters is upped, to the total of 240,000 gp worth of wealth and gear.

Requiem seems like a good concept to me, Callie del Noire. Fairly rare to see single-class characters, but I personally like them. I haven't done the math with the character otherwise yet, but it looks interesting, and fun concept.

Wheresmycow, Your build sounds interesting, as for the story seems fairly suited for the world in its present age. I will be considering it. The knowledge on Chrono Trigger is certainly a benefit, helping to understand the concept a bit more. That's not mandatory though, I am confident that without knowing a thing about that this game will be interesting, but knowing the 'flavor' of a game might amuse some I believe.

LadyLunaris, hope to see what you come up with sometime then, there's no immediate rush the game is going to wait a while as the thoughts are laid out afterall, and before the actual players are picked.

WyzardWhately, seems like a fair concept and something that could be attempted to be pulled off in this game, keeping in mind that the characters may end up destroying it all though to create anew, hard to say just yet. The only solution I hope does -not- come to pass is letting Oblivion claim the rest of the world's pieces. I consider that the only truly 'bad ending' but then again, its an option too if the players decide to go that way or things conspire against them too badly.
A&A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wintercat on May 31, 2011, 05:11:38 AM
Agreed, I was using old notes when thinking things through, but checked the Standard Wealth in Pathfinder. Updating first post, the Wealth for characters is upped, to the total of 240,000 gp worth of wealth and gear.

Requiem seems like a good concept to me, Callie del Noire. Fairly rare to see single-class characters, but I personally like them. I haven't done the math with the character otherwise yet, but it looks interesting, and fun concept.

Hero lab helps quite a bit. Basically she is a reincarnated wizard. And there are a few spells from Ultimate Magic I see her playing with or looking for. Create Demiplane (along with Lesser/Greater versions)

Wintercat

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2011, 06:55:16 AM
Hero lab helps quite a bit. Basically she is a reincarnated wizard. And there are a few spells from Ultimate Magic I see her playing with or looking for. Create Demiplane (along with Lesser/Greater versions)

Create Demiplane exists, but without the 'light' you have to 'keep it' against the Lords of Enthropy yourself.

In other words, you would have to work for it, and it might still fall apart. Also, if all of the Prime Material is eaten up by them, its likely the other planes are next, and demiplanes are but a gulp for the Enthropy Lords after they no longer have to devote their strength to fighting the strength of Prime Material's resistance towards them.
A&A

Callie Del Noire

Well right now Create Lesser Demiplane and Create Demiplane are the only ones she has the ability to cast (7 & 8 level resepctively) and they are faily small.. make for good 'hidey holes' if made permanent.

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Wintercat on May 31, 2011, 05:11:38 AMWheresmycow, Your build sounds interesting, as for the story seems fairly suited for the world in its present age. I will be considering it. The knowledge on Chrono Trigger is certainly a benefit, helping to understand the concept a bit more. That's not mandatory though, I am confident that without knowing a thing about that this game will be interesting, but knowing the 'flavor' of a game might amuse some I believe.
Cool stuff.  The build I'm going for is likely going to be Sorcerer 1/Fighter 4/Dragon Disciple 10, so he's more melee than anything else, but that dash of spell casting will help mix things up a bit, and I'll probably be grabbing utility spells over combat spells.

Developing the story more, I'm thinking the community he grew up in was rather poor, and much of the skilled labor there was needed at the fields, at the smithy and so on.  People couldn't individually raise kids and juggle work, so out of necessity the kids were raised on mass by a rotating collection of adults.  Brand was the child of two would-be heroes, who for whatever reason didn't appropriately fit into the community, and was left behind to be raised.  They never returned of course, but he didn't begrudge it because he had multiple fathers, mothers and siblings.  Growing up, he had some in-born magical talent, which was useful, but without anyone in the community to help him develop it, it was regulated to being used for little useful things while he applied himself to more physical work.  Given the desperate straits of the community, it emphasized hard-work, co-operation and stoicism, and Brand adapted well to that.

Come adulthood, things began to change.  Brand became increasingly restless and aggressive, which wasn't necessarily odd behavior, but it was coupled with an irritation at just how small the community was.  The home he had for his entire life so far no longer felt like home, and he began to craves things he never wanted before: piles of riches, bloody conflicts, power.  After getting into a rather vicious fight with one of his brothers over something trivial, it was finally revealed to him why this was happening: that he was dragon-blooded, just like his mother, and that he was compelled by the blood to leave the community behind and seek his fortunes elsewhere.  It was a guaranteed death sentence, but there would be no satisfaction to staying.  So Brand left, because he had to, and has managed to survive since then.

'Course, I'm still open to suggestions, and I'm so far leaving it vague as to whether or not he's really compelled by the blood to be an adventurer, or it's just him and everyone attributes it to a madness of the blood.

And as for Chrono Trigger, not sure who wants spoilers, so I'll put what I want to say in a spoiler box.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It's kind of a classic story, with an imminent doom looming in the future and how the determination of a few people can change it.  Of course, the multiple time lines and when you beat Lavos changed the multiple endings you got.  And then there were the intense personal storylines, which heightened the experience.  Sure there was this big enemy they all needed to fight, but the characters were people too, and had their own problems that needed resolving.  Really rich story.

So, putting my fan-boying aside, is the setting kind of modeled after 2300 AD, except a little less depressing since this world kind of has some hope left to it?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Wintercat

The world is a fantasy world, science has not gone that far. I'd say that in terms of where the world stands, it would be closer to 1000 AD if you want to speak in the "Chrono Trigger" terms.

That is, its a fantasy world, with swords, sorcery and champions that seek to change the world for the better.

Only its gotten to a state where the world is dying, where the lands that are fertile are growing harder and harder to find, the livable area is shrinking, and the edges of the world are chaotic, dangerous, and roamed by monsters that would eat a person alive if they caught one.

It is a world that is gazing down the edge of the abyss, and with a few people that are given a rare opportunity to change things, one more requiem for the world.
A&A

Lady Lunarius

I've got the basics down for my Oracle, just lemme know what you think and I can see about doing a sheet too for you.
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Callie Del Noire

I see my character searching through the Demiplanes as as a way of finding more lost magics and clues to something that might restore the world. I have a few ideas I'd like to bounce off you if you the idea of them.

Blue Leah

This seems like a lot of fun! If you're still accepting, I'd love to submit a character. In all likelihood, I'd either go with:

Korr Chainless
Male Half-Orc
Monk of the Empty Hand (LN)
Brief Bio: When he was young, Korr watched man and woman alike devote themselves to the mastery of martial combat. Some devoted themselves to perfecting their physical body, while others sought to master the various weapons of the world. Of course, good weapons are hard to come by... so Korr adapted. He sought to master the world around him, to make anything and everything he came in contact an extension of his body. After all, why should being poor prevent him from protecting those around him?

Sierra Shriker
Female Human
Acrobat Rogue (CN)
Brief Bio: When you're trying to avoid being caught, being able to move in any direction can make life easier. That's always been Sierra's approach. Sure, she could try and overpower her pursuers... Or she could leave them helplessly in the dust, and avoid the trouble. Even if they do try to chase her, not many people can scale a wall or jump from rooftop to rooftop as easily as she can... They just become easy targets for her arrows.

-----------------------------

I'm leaning more toward Sierra, simply because the Parkour Rogue concept is one I've been wanting to play with for the longest time. But I'd be more than happy to play either, should the opportunity arise. :)

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Wintercat on May 31, 2011, 03:10:50 PM
The world is a fantasy world, science has not gone that far. I'd say that in terms of where the world stands, it would be closer to 1000 AD if you want to speak in the "Chrono Trigger" terms.

That is, its a fantasy world, with swords, sorcery and champions that seek to change the world for the better.

Only its gotten to a state where the world is dying, where the lands that are fertile are growing harder and harder to find, the livable area is shrinking, and the edges of the world are chaotic, dangerous, and roamed by monsters that would eat a person alive if they caught one.

It is a world that is gazing down the edge of the abyss, and with a few people that are given a rare opportunity to change things, one more requiem for the world.
I asking more about the similarities in mood than tech, but this neatly answers my question.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs