(recruiting) Dawn of Man (PF, NC/EX)

Started by Zenkai, March 04, 2018, 11:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenkai

The world was never a welcoming place. Life is hard, even in the fertile, hot valley and its Twin rivers, where crops should be plentiful and water sweet. To the north, mountains house squat, industrious, xenophobic creatures, who descend from their strongholds only for plunder. To the south, vast deserts inhabited by nomadic tribes of orcs. These tall, dark-skinned, slim creatures delight in torturing trespassers. To the west, gentle rolling hills and greenery conceal a race of lazy, dull midgets. To the east, the vast ocean holds innumerable secrets, as well as thousands of sunken ships. Even the ground beneath men's feet are not safe - numerous mounds and hills hide passages into the underworld; invasions of monstrous creatures made the countryside unsafe ever since the Bronze Empire collapsed.

Thick-walled cities, densely populated and strictly regulated, offer a measure of safety. However, within their walls men prey on eachother, and hopes of safety quickly wither in face of reality. Society is strictly patriarchal, girls are guests in the family to be married off for financial gain, wives are property. Most people never venture further than ten miles from their home. The few that manage to find some sort of freedom are by necessity adventurers. Trade is a sort of adventure in itself, with ancient roads connecting the cities being in disrepair, and the priest-kings frowning upon any profit that bypasses their own coffers. People are as much a commodity as silver and gold, and slavery is present as government indenture as well as private slavery.

Cities are surrounded with thick walls, often lavishly decorated with glazed bricks and wondrous friezes. Siege machinery does not exist yet to challenge them. An additional and extremely important function of the walls is to protect the city from floods.

In the villages and hamlets surrounding the walls, life is much the same, only with different enemies. Monsters are frequent visitors to these settlements, but most often restrict themselves to stealing livestock and food.

The most common monsters are goblins. They have the size, strength and intelligence of children. Goblins form bands that live in caves and ruins, from which they raid villages, steal supplies, and sometimes abduct women. Although they're quick to bow to stronger races, goblins believe they are the most important creatures in the world, and take joy in tormenting those weaker than them. They do things like steal livestock all the time, but when things get worse than that, people come to the priest-kings, asking for help. And "worse than that" seems to show up every single day. What makes goblins even more dangerous is their ability to learn from defeat. Every time a goblin from a destroyed nest survives, he can form a new nest and teach other goblins how to avoid the same fate. All it takes is a female falling into the clutches of a goblin.

Dark elf assassins, evil sects, necromancers... the priest-kings are too busy dealing with bigger problems to worry about goblins. And adventurers want enemies that will bring them more fame. This leaves villagers to their own devices. Often, they don't survive. With the amount of people inside city walls, it is a simple matter to find enough settlers to re-settle a hamlet of thirty souls.

This is where you come in. Somehow, your small group gas been chosen to help one of these threatened villages, and help them clean out a goblin infestation.

* The game will be in NC-exotic, because of the possibility of tentacles and monsters.
* The setting is a low fantasy homebrewn world based on ancient Mesopotamia.
* Plot takes precedence over smut. Defeated male characters will be enslaved. Defeated female characters will fare worse. There will be ample opportunity for smut apart from this.
* Pathfinder, 1st level, 20 point buy. Characters should be 3rd or 4th level by the end of the first adventure.
* Divine casters by divine concept only - deities will be earned in play.
* Human characters only for now.
* Automatic bonus progression with a +1 bonus on the table will be used. Magic items are rare, but not unknown. Items that only grant bonuses to AC, saving throws, and ability scores don't exist in this variant, and wish and similar spells never grant inherent bonuses to ability scores. Magic weapons and armor do exist, but grant only special abilities, not enhancement bonuses. More on http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/magic/automaticBonusProgression.html
* To save time, we'll be using group initiative. This means all PCs act in order of posting (AC and HP for enemies will be visible, you will be rolling your own attack rolls and damage). Once all PCs have their actions (or 2-3 days pass), all NPCs take their actions. Initiative bonuses can be used instead of attack bonus in the first round of engagement. PCs will usually act first, unless there's an ambush. Some special abilities will need special attention such as stating your intentions in your post. An ASCII map will be used for more complicated situations.
* Anything else found in http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ apart from obviously unsuitable things like gunslinger.

Character sheet thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284083.0
Wiki link: https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:DawnofMan

towerhouse

Interested!  Possible vigilante or synthesist?
-TH

On/Offs

Thorne

Interesting idea..
Using the auto-bonus progression (low magic) out of Unchained?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

ThatFantasticBard

This sounds like an interesting idea, I'd certainly be up for joining.

Pipaluk

If I’ve only played 5e a handful of times, how difficult would it be to pick up pathfinders?

Zenkai

Quote from: Thorne on March 05, 2018, 12:27:09 AM
Interesting idea..
Using the auto-bonus progression (low magic) out of Unchained?

That's a great idea. But there will be some magical items, however, so not low magic progression. I'll take the middle ground, with a +1 level bonus on the table. Magic items are uncommon, but not unknown.

Here's a cookie.

Quote from: Pipaluk on March 05, 2018, 06:38:27 AM
If I’ve only played 5e a handful of times, how difficult would it be to pick up pathfinders?

Not difficult at all. All the relevant rules are in the link above. You really just need to pick a a character class, as all PCs will be human in the start.

I'll be updating the initial post later with some additional information.

Arcanist

Definitely interested. A fighter methinks
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Zenkai

I think that's more than enough interest to get this thing rolling. We're officially in the recruitment phase. Please post your character sheets here, and we'll roll from there. I don't have a particular taste for character sheet formats, headers, or pictures. Perhaps just an image to know which character you post for? Anyone have a suitable header handy?

Arcanist

Hi Zenkai,
Just wondering what the starting gold to purchase weapons, Armor and equipment.
Are there any restrictions to weapons and Armor due to your world? Looking at a two handed weapon. If I am not mistaken, Mesopotamia weapons tend to be curved. Will a Falchion be ok?
Regards,
Arcanist

Zenkai

It is a fantasy version of Mesopotamia, so I'll allow a bit of extravagance. A falchion is not extravagant, though - just a slab of metal made for chopping. Go right ahead.
Starting gold is standard (average for class), purchase to your heart's content from the PRD, but I reserve the right to veto silliness.

Pipaluk

Evelyn
Female Human rogue 1
CG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +4, Senses Perception +5

Brief Bio:
Evelyn never liked the idea that she was merely property--a burden or a guest in the home just waiting to be married off--so when she was younger she ran away becoming something of a street thief. She had always kept her hair short when she was younger, it was easier to pass as a boy. Throughout her childhood, she survived by stealing and fleeing through the streets, ducking in and around objects, scaling walls, and escaping whatever trouble pursued her.

Eventually as she grew older, she realized the exceptional agility and other skills she developed as a child would be excellent for adventuring. So she became an adventurer.
=================================================
DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +3 Dex, )
hp 10 ((1d8)+2)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1

OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee dagger +4 (1d4-1/19-20)
Ranged dagger (thrown) +4 (1d4/19-20)
Ranged dart +4 (1d4)
Ranged crossbow, light +4 (1d8/19-20)
Special Attacks Sneak Attack 1d6,

TACTICS

STATISTICS
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14,
Base Atk +0; CMB -1; CMD 13
Feats Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +5, Acrobatics (Jump) +1, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +7, Perception +5, Perception (Trapfinding) +6, Perform (Sing) +6, Profession (Midwife) +5, Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +7,
Traits Dirty Fighter, Suspicious,
Languages Common
SQ bonus feat, bonus rogue talent, skilled, trapfinding,
Combat Gear
Other Gear dagger, dart (10), leather, outfit (explorer's), bolts, crossbow (10) (2), bolt, crossbow (20), crossbow, light, 84.0 gp
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Bonus Feat Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.

Bonus Rogue Talent The human gains +1/6 of a new rogue talent.

Dirty Fighter You wouldn't have lived to make it out of childhood without the aid of a sibling, friend, or companion on whom you could always count to distract your enemies long enough to do a little bit more damage than normal. When you hit a foe you are flanking, you deal an additional 1 point of damage (this damage is added to your base damage, and is multiplied on a critical hit). This additional damage is a trait bonus.

Skilled Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.

Sneak Attack (Ex) If you can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from your attack, you can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Your attack deals 1d6 points of extra damage anytime your target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC, or when you flank your target. Should you score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, you can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. You cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. You must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. You cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Suspicious You discovered at an early age that someone you trusted, perhaps an older sibling or a parent, had lied to you, and often, about something you had taken for granted, leaving you quick to question the claims of others. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks, and Sense Motive is always a class skill for you.

Trapfinding (Ex) You add +1 to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks. You can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magical traps.

Chulanowa

You have my interest; I'll start working on something after work  ;D

Zenkai

profession (midwife)? hmm.

You did notice the part about initiative being slightly different for this game, right?

Pipaluk

I think I did when I initially read it, but didn't register when I was making character. Will update.

Taking Dirty Fighter in place of Reactionary.

Revelation

Definitely very interested. Not sure what i'll make - something hard hitting though since we seem to have a lot of other archetypes covered. Heading into work soon, but thinking Barbarian, Slayer, or Bloodrager for initial ideas, someone who knows the wilds to some extent. Maybe Hunter.

Thorne

Hrmn. Might take the opportunity to set up as a ranger, then. I think I have one of those in the folder.

Or... hrm. Let me see what I have in the folder.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Zenkai

Don't be afraid to try something new :)

Thorne

Yhess... sadly, the folder got added to, because the only bard in it up until now was.. half orc. Not gonna fly. Oh well.

Sabri
Female human bard 1
Perhaps she was fortunate. Sabri cannot judge that from within; she knows only that her fortune has not been her own since birth.
This is a fact that has never been kept from her, although as a child, she was allowed to pursue her interests however she wished, as long as she maintained a façade appropriate to the world outside. If her interests had been different, perhaps it would not be so, but Sabri is a fine dancer, a pretty songbird with a delicate façade and ... as at least one suitor has found to his detriment, a painful bite.

Perhaps she is fortunate. Rather than punish her for attempting to preserve her own value, her father had her smuggled out, with supplies such as could be spared, and a warning... she could not, would not, find shelter under his roof again. Perhaps he wept. Sabri will never know.

The city streets were no safe place for such a flower. Sabri has managed to eke out a living despite that, dancing with scarf and fan - and occasionally, with steel - earning the coins she needs to disappear properly.

crunch

NG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +4
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 8 (1d8)
Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +2 (+2 bonus vs. mind-affecting effects); +1 trait bonus vs. illusion effects., +2 trait bonus vs effects with the lawful descriptor.
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft. (20 ft. in armor)
Melee dagger +3 (1d4+1/19-20) or
. . scorpion whip (aa) +3 (1d4+1)
Ranged light crossbow +3 (1d8/19-20)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with scorpion whip (aa))
Special Attacks bardic performance 6 rounds/day (countersong, distraction, fascinate [DC 12], inspire courage +1)
Bard Spells Known (CL 1st; concentration +3)
. . 1st (2/day)—liberating command[UC], play instrument[UM]
. . 0 (at will)—detect magic, mending, prestidigitation, unwitting ally[APG] (DC 12)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Steadfast Personality[ACG], Weapon Finesse
Traits charming, focused mind
Skills Acrobatics +0 (-4 to jump), Diplomacy +6, Disguise +6, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +3, Knowledge (engineering) +3, Knowledge (geography) +3, Knowledge (history) +3, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (nature) +3, Knowledge (nobility) +7, Knowledge (planes) +3, Knowledge (religion) +3, Perception +4, Perform (dance) +6, Perform (percussion instruments) +6, Perform (sing) +6, Sense Motive +5, Stealth +4
Languages Common, Elven, Goblin
SQ bardic knowledge +1
Gear
Carried/worn: studded leather armor, crossbow bolts (20), dagger, light crossbow, scorpion whip (aa), backpack, belt pouch, hip flask[UE], waterskin.
Backpack: bedroll,  hemp rope (50 ft.), mess kit[UE], mirror, pot, soap, torch (5), trail rations (5),
Belt Pouch: flint and steel, 5 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Bardic Knowledge +1 (Ex) Add +1 to all knowledge skill checks.
Bardic Performance (standard action, 6 rounds/day) Your performances can create magical effects.
--------------------
Notes: Most of her Performances are likely going to be dance or song-based, things she doesn't need an instrument for. I have my eye on a feat that she might take later that I may use to work percussion into her routines... while she's dropping bodies on the floor. In 4/4 time! Heh. I kid, probably...
Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

ThatFantasticBard

I'm thinkin about making an Inquisitor for this.

Quick question, how many people do you plan on having for this game?

Arcanist

Enlil
Tagging:
Active Effects:
HP: 12 / 12 AC: 18 (T: 13, FF: 15) CMD: 18 (+19 CMD to Bull Rush and Disarm)
Initiative: +2 Speed: 30 /20 Perception Bonus: +5

1st level Fighter

Ability Scores:
Strength:      18 (+4)          Dexterity:    14 (+2)
Constitution: 14 (+2)          Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom:       10 (+0)          Charisma:    10 (+0)

Misc. Information:
AC:    18  Touch AC: 13    Flat Footed 15
Hit Points:      12             CMB/CMD:    +4/18 (+19 CMD against Bull Rush and Disarm)
Initiative:      +2              Speed:         30/ 20
Attack:          +4 Melee
                    +2 Ranged
                    +5 Falchion 2D4+9 18-20/x2

Skills:
Acrobatics:              -3        Appraise:       +0        Bluff:                +0
Climb:                     -1        Diplomacy:    +0        Disguise:           +0
Escape Artist:          -3         Fly:              -3         Craft (Weapon).  +4
Heal:                      +0        Intimidate:    +0        Perception:        +5
Profession (Soldier) +4         Ride:            +1        Sense Motive:    +5           
Stealth:                  -3         Survival        +4         Swim:               +0     

Saving Throws:
Fortitude Save:   +4      Reflex Save:    +2      Will Save:         +0

Feats:
Dodge: +1 Dodge Bonus to AC
Power Attack: -1 to Melee Attack Rolls to gain +2 bonus to Melee damage
Furious Attack: When wielding weapons 2 handed, you do not suffer penalty to Power Attack melee attack rolls

Traits:
Sensitive Mind
Seeker

Description:
Gender: Male                        Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Age:      18                               Race: Human         
Height:  6' 0:                            Weight:      200ibs
Hair:     Black (Midnight Blue)     Eyes:          Grey
Skin:      Tanned                           
Languages Spoken: Ccommon

Equipment:
Weapons:
Falchion

Armor:
Scale Mail

Backpack - Fighter's kit, Survival Kit, Craft Tools - Weaponsmithing

Belt Pouch - 50GP

Background:
The sun has been up for hours. It looks like mid-morning, the smells of the town are not too fantastic. Then again, so is the smell coming from me. I miss the feel of being soaked in scented water. Inanna would always draw one in time for me when I return home. The town is much smaller compared to Nippur. Thinking back, he remembers little his childhood. Not so much the servants and the woman he thinks is his mother. He has many brothers he thinks. Yes, brother in arms, but no longer. He remembers the move to the barracks, the training, the drills, the fights and the relentless transformation into a killing machine. He killed his first at aged 10.

A crowd gathers as he continues to remember. To find some clue as to what happened to him. His mind summons forth the image of Inanna. He was but 16 and she younger, a Virgin Flamekeeper. His brothers saw him smitten and encouraged him to woo her. His clumsy attempts bringing much mirth to them. Weeks past and finally with courage fueled with drink he seals the bargain. Little did he know that fling tied his destiny with her. That night was their first. He remembers to look of her beautiful face half covered by her long hair, the shape of her breasts before him, the feeling of her weaving her magic on top of him and feel of him in her.

A song breaks his memories. He looks up, a street entertainer. She is adequate. Perhaps with training, she will be very good. The crowd becomes more. All he needs is to stand guard. The rich are out an about today. The face of the entertainer morphs to that of Inanna. Inanna..sweet Inanna...I wake finding her naked beside me, unmoving. My blade impaled between her breasts. Blood everywhere. I do not remember. Bodies all around. Blood...Laughter....I close my eyes again and open them, just as Inanna's eyes do. They look at me pleadingly. I am covered in her blood.

The mists, I am surrounded by mists. I am wondering in a marsh away from heartbreak. But it hunts me relentlessly. I open my eyes, they are moist to touch as I rub them. Bringing my hand down I feel another. A softer arm as I grab instinctively. "Little girl, you seem unlucky today. Or perhaps it is fate."

Arcanist

This is what I got so far. Could you have a look Zenki and comment?
Was wondering if he could be part of the guard or armed forces of the city/state. Will complete Background then.
Not sure of the armor type used in the military of your world

Chulanowa

Debating whether I wanna go male or female. have ideas for either (leaning towards arcane caster / oracle though)

schnookums

Any chance some inspiration was drawn in part from the Goblin Slayer manga/light novels? Just curious. In any case I'm definitely interested, would really love to play a Shaman

Zenkai

Goblin Slayer was one of the inspirations, also some other goblin stories from1d4chan and similar places, also my own RPG mishaps involving goblins. The latter caused all the goblins in my campaign world to have the war cry "Died in the forest!". Heh. I should write up that one sometime. Bottom line, they're a bit nonstandard even though there's no mechanical difference to vanilla goblins apart from the reproduction method. The rest of the world has no resemblance to the Goblin Slayer world, if that's what you're wondering.

Please use only what's availabla on Paizo's PRD. Apart from that, Sabri looks fine. I already have a plot hook or two for her in mind.

I plan to split PCs into groups of 3 or 4 to keep posting rate up. Unless you guys prefer to stick together and want to make it a slower paced game. Expect the IC thread to open when we have 3 characters ready to play.

Enlil? Good man. Have a cookie ♦. You do realize that with a name like that, you're forcing me to do things to your character?  O:) The scale mail is common for elite warriors, made of bronze but without the fragile quality. It does get uncomfortable in the summer heat, however. There is even bronze plate, but that is usually used only by chariot-riding nobles. Leather and brigandine are common, Scalemail for military types, chainmail is very rare and of dwarvish make. You can be an ex elite from a city. I could come uip with a reason why Enlil was forced to flee his former secure position, if you don't want to.  :-)

Btw, these cookies can be used in game for special benefits. Just sayin'

Remember that all divine casters start godless. If there's interest in the whole god thing, I'll elaborate at length.

Shamans fit perfectly into the setting.

So, a midwife, a demigod, and a runaway bride enter a tavern. The tavernkeeper looks up at them, and runs away.

Arcanist

Looking sheepish

Yes, I think using a Mattock would be overdoing it  XD

Pipaluk

Might I propose this backstory for how the three became a group of adventures (apologies for any typos—on mobile):

Evelyn noticed a new girl like herself who didn’t seem to belong to anyone but the streets. She approached and proposed they team up—easier to “earn” coin working together. They developed s routine whereby Sabri would distract a wealthy looking man, and while he was distracted—thoroughly distracted by the seductive sabri. Evelyn would use her dexterous fingers and sleight of hand to rob him of his valuables.

The two targeted Enlil one day who didn’t miss a beat. He thought they were actually pretty good at what they do, but informed them there was better (and more honest) living in adventuring. So the two joined him and they came to this town that was looking for adventurers to take care of some goblin problem.

Zenkai

I planned on each group being given a friendly shove by the city guard in the right direction. after all, cities are xenophobic places at best, and wanderers and runaways are just asking to end up as slaves. But you seemed to have useful skills, and there was a plea from a remote village to help fighting goblins. The guard lieutenant combined the useful (find someone to make it seem the goblins are being taken care of) and necessary (kick you out of the city). And so you find yourself deputized.

Arcanist

I am Open to it. Good idea Pipaluk. We could sort of do that before the good liguard captain push us in the right direction. What say you Thorne? Although you alignments may be a bit...mmmm....hehehehe

ThatFantasticBard

In keeping with the theme of inconsistent Character Sheet layouts, here's mine.
Ahum

I'm assuming by divine concept only, you mean just pick a sorta belief and a domain that fits with that? Wanna make sure I didn't misinterpret that.

Also, I have an idea for my backstory, but I think I'd need a better idea on how religion and divine magic works in this world.

Guancyto

Wait, a game based on the Bronze Age Collapse, but with magic and monsters?

Count me in.

I've never gotten around to trying Pathfinder, but now's always a good time to start!

Zenkai

Quote from: ThatFantasticBard on March 06, 2018, 10:42:27 AM
In keeping with the theme of inconsistent Character Sheet layouts, here's mine.
Ahum

I'm assuming by divine concept only, you mean just pick a sorta belief and a domain that fits with that? Wanna make sure I didn't misinterpret that.

Also, I have an idea for my backstory, but I think I'd need a better idea on how religion and divine magic works in this world.

Now, that's inconsistent :) but looks fine upon first glance. I never had an Inquisitor in my games tbh.

My interpretation of bronze age collapse is a conflict between the old gods (sun, wind, rain, death) and younger ones (agriculture, smithing, brewing, knowledge). Each human city has a godly patron, with the priest-king ruling the city often being a demigod and progeny of the patron god.that' why divine casters start without a god (as detailed in the prd) and pick a god once we slip deep enough into the story to know what side you want your characters on. Priesthood and nobility only began to be differentiated a few generations ago. Gods used to walk among men before the Collapse and hand-pick their priests, but no more. Now scholar-priests initiate promising youths from scribe schools into divine magic based on their own judgment.

Questions?

Thorne

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 01:52:38 AM
Goblin Slayer was one of the inspirations, also some other goblin stories from1d4chan and similar places, also my own RPG mishaps involving goblins. The latter caused all the goblins in my campaign world to have the war cry "Died in the forest!". Heh. I should write up that one sometime. Bottom line, they're a bit nonstandard even though there's no mechanical difference to vanilla goblins apart from the reproduction method. The rest of the world has no resemblance to the Goblin Slayer world, if that's what you're wondering.

Please use only what's availabla on Paizo's PRD. Apart from that, Sabri looks fine. I already have a plot hook or two for her in mind.

You mean the SRD? Let me see if those are; if not, I'll swap out, seem to have missed that restriction.

I don't mind a slower pace, honestly, as long as it's fairly steady.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 12:28:08 PM
Now, that's inconsistent :) but looks fine upon first glance. I never had an Inquisitor in my games tbh.

My interpretation of bronze age collapse is a conflict between the old gods (sun, wind, rain, death) and younger ones (agriculture, smithing, brewing, knowledge). Each human city has a godly patron, with the priest-king ruling the city often being a demigod and progeny of the patron god.that' why divine casters start without a god (as detailed in the prd) and pick a god once we slip deep enough into the story to know what side you want your characters on. Priesthood and nobility only began to be differentiated a few generations ago. Gods used to walk among men before the Collapse and hand-pick their priests, but no more. Now scholar-priests initiate promising youths from scribe schools into divine magic based on their own judgment.

Questions?

So I had an idea about a runaway sacred prostitute.  Born a slave, she was recognized at an early age to have a divine connection with the agricultural goddess, one that allowed the goddess' essence to fill her, making her an avatar.  She was raised to love the goddess, and wanted to serve her.  When she was older, she learned how to achieve an avatar state, where she would summon the goddess' presence.  As she became of age, because of the famine, her order divined that her avatar needs to have ritual sex with the royal family in order to make the crops grow well.  She didn't sign up to be a prostitute, and this caused her to runaway in the middle of the night, not sure what adventure awaits her in a faraway land.

I mostly got the idea from reading this:

https://www.historyonthenet.com/sacred-marriage-and-sacred-prostitution-in-ancient-mesopotamia/

Is there a way to modify this to make it work in your world?
-TH

On/Offs

Thorne

looks like one of the two traits I picked isn't (Spirit of the Law doesn't seem to be in there), so I swapped it out for something that is;
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/equipment-traits/prehensile-whip/
However, Hardly Fooled is on that list; https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/hardly-a-fool-social/ - so it seems I can keep that one.

Quote from: Pipaluk on March 06, 2018, 04:52:50 AM
Might I propose this backstory for how the three became a group of adventures (apologies for any typos—on mobile):

Evelyn noticed a new girl like herself who didn’t seem to belong to anyone but the streets. She approached and proposed they team up— easier to “earn” coin working together. They developed s routine whereby Sabri would distract a wealthy looking man, and while he was distracted— thoroughly distracted by the seductive sabri. Evelyn would use her dexterous fingers and sleight of hand to rob him of his valuables.

The two targeted Enlil one day who didn’t miss a beat. He thought they were actually pretty good at what they do, but informed them there was better (and more honest) living in adventuring. So the two joined him and they came to this town that was looking for adventurers to take care of some goblin problem.

Ooh. That first part might have taken some convincing (Sabri's an honest girl! She IS! ... well, damn, she also likes to eat food once in a while...), but she'd probably be willing. Certainly, having someone to work with is safer than working alone.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

ThatFantasticBard

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 12:28:08 PM

Questions?

Yeah, they tend to get overlooked in favor of Paladins or Clerics, but I think they got their own special flair that can make them fun. :p

So, given that player divine casters don't have any allegiances, they're self taught? Or would there be some other universal means of learning divine magic without having to devote yourself to a god?

Zenkai

Please use only material form paizo's prd. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

It's debatable whether holy prostitution was a thing. In the game world, only slaves are ever forced to have sex, by order of their owner. Rape of a citizen is punished by castration in the cities. Rape of a foreigner by corporal punishment (beating). Rape of a slave costs a week's earnings in reparation to the slave's owner. Rape of one's own wife is grounds for divorce.

In the game world, only priestesses of the fertility goddess are allowed to have intercourse; other priestesses are expected to remain "pure". This is only a social norm, however. The gods themselves care only for loyalty and obedience, and don't care about which tab goes into what slot. Additionally, only the "new" gods are associated with this rule. So your background story works quite well with what I had in mind. This also sets what city she is from.

"Organized" divine casters are all schooled in scribe schools by existing scribe-priests. "Spontaneous" divine casters get their gift by chance. In general. You should pick a god by 3rd level or so.

Thorne

That is /very/ different from the SRD.

This is not a problem. I would like to know why this, and not the SRD content, though.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Zenkai

Initially it was because the srd site broke my tablet's browser.  Silly, I know. Later I just stuck with the prd because I like it's colours.  O:) you might want to check the first post in this thread again.

Thorne

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 03:30:16 PM
Initially it was because the srd site broke my tablet's browser.  Silly, I know. Later I just stuck with the prd because I like it's colours.  O:) you might want to check the first post in this thread again.

That's fair.
I asked because it is causing me some issues that aren't trait-related, mostly on weapon proficiencies. The weapon I wanted to use isn't available via the PRD (it's in Adventurer's Armory, which the PRD doesn't list, but the SRD does). That leaves me with a very limited list; I didn't want to give her a rapier, mostly because it would be hard to conceal, and seemed unlikely in that region-type anyway.

So ... at this point, I'm looking for suggestions and possible alternatives, because I don't want to be the person asking for exceptions.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 03:12:11 PM
Please use only material form paizo's prd. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

It's debatable whether holy prostitution was a thing. In the game world, only slaves are ever forced to have sex, by order of their owner. Rape of a citizen is punished by castration in the cities. Rape of a foreigner by corporal punishment (beating). Rape of a slave costs a week's earnings in reparation to the slave's owner. Rape of one's own wife is grounds for divorce.

In the game world, only priestesses of the fertility goddess are allowed to have intercourse; other priestesses are expected to remain "pure". This is only a social norm, however. The gods themselves care only for loyalty and obedience, and don't care about which tab goes into what slot. Additionally, only the "new" gods are associated with this rule. So your background story works quite well with what I had in mind. This also sets what city she is from.

"Organized" divine casters are all schooled in scribe schools by existing scribe-priests. "Spontaneous" divine casters get their gift by chance. In general. You should pick a god by 3rd level or so.

Cool.  I think I have the character written up and pretty much good to go.  Is the synthesist summoner class OK for this?  The eidolon will be the fertility goddess avatar.  I can possibly use the God Caller archetype or just say that the summoner spells are divine.
-TH

On/Offs

Guancyto

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 12:28:08 PMQuestions?
Oh, I have one. With the 'women are property in cities' bit going on, what are things like for the widow of someone powerful? I'm thinking of a straight Wizard, who was the young wife of an old magician, a girl who turned out to be intelligent enough to pick up some of his trade on the sly but then he died and things are going downhill from there real fast, so she's gone out adventuring with her skills instead.

Arcanist

Okay done my history.

*waves at Thorne and Pipaluk*

Pipaluk

Quote from: Arcanist on March 06, 2018, 07:02:21 PM
Okay done my history.

*waves at Thorne and Pipaluk*

Evelyn won't take too kindly to be called a little girl assuming that's what the ending of his background refers to. She would likely have pressed a dagger to him with a fierce scowl and point out that she's not a little girl. And somehow eventually, aye, fate. Adventures await. Looking forward to it.

Zenkai

Quote from: Thorne on March 06, 2018, 04:36:56 PM
That's fair.
I asked because it is causing me some issues that aren't trait-related, mostly on weapon proficiencies. The weapon I wanted to use isn't available via the PRD (it's in Adventurer's Armory, which the PRD doesn't list, but the SRD does). That leaves me with a very limited list; I didn't want to give her a rapier, mostly because it would be hard to conceal, and seemed unlikely in that region-type anyway.

So ... at this point, I'm looking for suggestions and possible alternatives, because I don't want to be the person asking for exceptions.

If you mean the scorpion whip, there's no problem. It's mentioned in ultimate combat and ultimate equipment, both are on http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd in pleasing colours.

Zenkai

Quote from: Guancyto on March 06, 2018, 06:51:29 PM
Oh, I have one. With the 'women are property in cities' bit going on, what are things like for the widow of someone powerful? I'm thinking of a straight Wizard, who was the young wife of an old magician, a girl who turned out to be intelligent enough to pick up some of his trade on the sly but then he died and things are going downhill from there real fast, so she's gone out adventuring with her skills instead.

Such a situation would be handled by the priest-king. Wizards are sufficiently rare to warrant this. This "downhill" can be as creative as you like due to such complications.
In ordinary circumstances, she'd be taken in by a brother of the husband.

Zenkai

Quote from: towerhouse on March 06, 2018, 04:54:49 PM
Cool.  I think I have the character written up and pretty much good to go.  Is the synthesist summoner class OK for this?  The eidolon will be the fertility goddess avatar.  I can possibly use the God Caller archetype or just say that the summoner spells are divine.

Hmm. Can't find god caller on paizo's site. Let's go with her being granted these abilities by the goddess herself. That'll explain the eidolon. The spells still register as arcane. This kind of luggage comes with complications that will make me cackle with glee. Want a cookie?

Thorne

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 11:13:21 PM
If you mean the scorpion whip, there's no problem. It's mentioned in ultimate combat and ultimate equipment, both are on http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd in pleasing colours.

That'll work. Sheet updated. Let me know if I need to adjust anything else.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Zenkai

Quote from: Thorne on March 06, 2018, 11:46:43 PM
That'll work. Sheet updated. Let me know if I need to adjust anything else.

sounds fine.

I've made a page on elluiki for the game.

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:DawnofMan

Chulanowa

So what we've got so far is...

Female rogue
Female bard
Male fighter
Male inquisitor
Female summoner
Possible shaman?

Am I seeing all that right?  :-)

Also Zenkai can you say what sort of sexual content you're looking at for this? I saw something about tentacles, are we talking like, "cute jelly girl with some wrigglers" or "John Carpenter's The Thing"? Any other stuff to be aware of?

Zenkai

yep, that list looks right. I plan to run this in groups of 3 for the first adventure.

Well, this is in NC/EX, so that should give you an idea to the possible extent and nature of horizontal exercise. That being said, while there will be lots of sexualized situations, smut will be in service to the story. For the first adventure, about the worst that could happen is rape/enslavement by goblins. Later on, I plan to cater to individual tastes for those players who stay with the game. Going further out from human lands (or into the underworld) will by necessity expose characters to various unpleasantness. So, unless you go searching for tentacles or werewolves, there will be scant chance of meeting such.

Cute jelly girls with some wrigglers weren't on the list. Until now.  ;D

A character sheets thread should be open today. The IC thread probably tomorrow.

Chulanowa

I think I cna come up with something then; woulda had it sooner, but man, work is whuppin' me.

Zenkai

Char sheet thread open.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284083.0

dat tail, so hypnotic

Arcanist

Zenkai

Quick question.

Does the character š render in your browser? Should show a s with caron ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0 )

Pipaluk

Arcanist

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 06, 2018, 11:32:13 PM
Hmm. Can't find god caller on paizo's site. Let's go with her being granted these abilities by the goddess herself. That'll explain the eidolon. The spells still register as arcane. This kind of luggage comes with complications that will make me cackle with glee. Want a cookie?

Cookies are good!  I believe God Caller spells are still arcane so it might not make a difference if I take the archetype or not..  Here's a link.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/god-caller-summoner-archetype/

Also, you mentioned human only, but could it be possible for a half-elf?  I know there's drow assassins, a half-drow whose mother was raped is technically possible....?  I’ll also probably use the unchained summoner instead of the original summoner because it’s more balanced.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Quote from: towerhouse on March 07, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Cookies are good!  I believe God Caller spells are still arcane so it might not make a difference if I take the archetype or not..  Here's a link.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/god-caller-summoner-archetype/

Also, you mentioned human only, but could it be possible for a half-elf?  I know there's drow assassins, a half-drow whose mother was raped is technically possible....?

Humans only for starting characters.  God-caller is not in the PRD - why not use synthesist as was your original intention? Which aspect of God-Caller makes it more attractive than the synthesist?

towerhouse

I’ll drop god caller than.

As for unchained summoner synthesist versus original summoner synthesist, the unchained one is reportedly much more balanced. I can still use synthesist, but will just use unchained one if you don’t mind for party balance sake.

Do you have a set alignment for the fertility deity?  I’m thinking chaotic good.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life! Wait, wrong game :)

Alignments don't matter to the gods as long as you obey their wishes. Now keep in mind that it isn't unusual for a god to visit his priest in this age. Just a dozen generations ago, gods walked among mortals every day. Only since the Break did the gods grow more distant, and retreat to palaces or other distant places.

I don't mind either the original summoned or the unchained version.

Merdoroli

I hope I'm not too late, just putting the finishing touches on a character. Wandering what languages would be common inside the city though? I'm imagining my character as a bit... shady. Not doing anything wrong per se but in touch with a lot of street elements in the city. Is this a human only settlement? Wouldn't make much sense to learn something like elvish if he never met an elf. Lol.

Zenkai

There are two additional human languages apart from "common". That won't be important for quite a while.

Racial languages, celestial and infernal are beyond your characters' experience for now.

Races don't mix in this setting. Xenophobia is the norm, even if trade exists.

Merdoroli

What would you recommend for languages then? I get three bonus languages for intelligence right? The other two human languages?

Also: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1515561   <-- Presenting Rumar, potential brother of Ahum, with your approval of course Zenkai

I went the way of a myth weavers character sheet. Cuz it's something I'm used to. Besides languages I think that's it, I'm done. Is it okay? I haven't made a Pathfinder character before, I used to play a lot of DnD 3.5 but not Pathfinder, so I hope I didn't do something catastrophically wrong.

Chulanowa

Kind of annoyed; wake up with an idea, only to find out Ultimate Wilderness isn't on the PRD, so, no shifter  >:(

ThatFantasticBard

Ahum

Growing up, Ahum wanted for nothing. Born the eldest son of a wealthy merchant, he had very little in the way of hardships and was guaranteed a proper education thanks to his family's money. As soon as he was old enough, the boy was sent to an eduba where he learned to read and write. Despite the fact that he was often lavished with praise by the scholar priest that taught them, simply due to his father's generosity, Ahum's competitive nature had him working diligently to prove that he was better than the other kids, studying often even outside of the scribe school. Eventually, thanks to his own talent and diligence, and his father's frequent gifts to his teacher, Ahum was chosen to receive training for priesthood.

Naturally, Ahum accepted. He saw this as both another means of proving himself and as an opportunity to live a truly lavish life. Unfortunately, despite taking to his studies with his usual determination, the boy grew more and more restless as the years passed, the idea of being confined to temple grounds for the rest of his life somewhat troubling. In his free time, Ahum often pretended he was an adventurer, exploring the world and slaying monsters, sometimes with his friends and brother, other times by himself. The scholar priest eventually took notice of the boy's desire to adventure and offered him an alternative. Instead of priesthood, he could train to become an inquisitor, an agent of the gods, whose sole purpose was to root out heretics and destroy anything that was an affront to the gods. Naturally, Ahum accepted.

The more militant nature of his new position to be meant he had to go to the temple grounds for training, and had entirely new teachers. Fortunately, the lessons he had already received as a priest applied to being an Inquisitor, so he didn't have to start from square one. However, he found the training to be far more arduous than anything he experienced while learning to become a scribe or priest, his body not used to the more physical demands of his new training. Of course ever eager to prove himself, the boy pushed himself to his limits, determined to show that he didn't want to just finish his training, he wanted to excel. As the years went by, Ahum grew to be quite the fighter, able to practically do his training with his eyes closed. This of course led to him growing restless again, knowing he still had a few years left before he could become a full fledged inquisitor and he doubted he'd be challenged anymore in that time.

Ahum decided that he'd seek out his own means of proving that while he wasn't technically finished with his lessons, he was more than ready to become an inquisitor. He often heard about Goblins that would raid the villages outside of town and decided that taking out a Goblin nest would be more than enough to prove that he was ready. After gathering some information about where they were coming from, Ahum borrowed some basic training weapons and managed to talk a friend and his brother into coming with him. The trio set off at night, not wanting to draw too much attention to what they were doing. It took them nearly an hour of travel to reach the cave where the Goblins were said to of been spotted. Ahum headed in, full of confidence with his little party in tow, knowing full well he'd be an inquisitor by tomorrow.

For a while, the boys worried that they were in the wrong place. They'd been walking for quite some time without seeing any signs that the cave was inhabited and the only sounds they heard were their own footsteps and the crackling of the torch that illuminated their path. Just as Ahum was about to give up, he heard footsteps behind them, followed by agonized screaming. Turning around, the boy's eyes widened in horror as he saw several Goblins on top of his friend, stabbing wildly at him, practically tearing the poor boy apart. Before Ahum could move to help him, another of the monsters jumped out of the shadows, slashing at his face. Ahum barely had time to react, the creature's dagger slashing his eye as he did his best to dodge the blow. Realizing that they were far too outnumbered by the Goblins, Ahum knew he had to get his brother out. After dealing with the little beast that had slashed his eye, he grabbed his brother's arm, quickly fleeing back the way they came, knowing full well his friend was already dead. Somehow, the two managed to get out without running into any more ambushes, their lungs burning and legs aching by the time they made it to the cave's entrance. Ahum knew he had to face the consequences of his actions and returned home, defeated.

Upon his return, Ahum first explained what had happened to his father, than the Priests of the temple. The blade that had been used against the boy was poisoned and while the Priests managed to flush out the toxins from his body, they could do nothing to save his eye, leaving him with another reminder of his failure. Having led his friend to his death, without any official support behind the adventure, Ahum was nearly banished from not only the temple, but the city as well. Fortunately, his father used his own charm and significant fortune to talk the Priests into allowing him to remain, albeit with significantly less freedom. He was left confined to the temple grounds and was to be closely watched for the remainder of his training. Despite his previous desire for exploring, Ahum was almost thankful for the new restrictions, realizing that even with all his bravado, he still had much to learn before he was ready.

Woo, all done with the backstory. Gonna post this here first to make sure that Zenkai and Merdoroli don't have any issues with anything I put.

Zenkai

There are only a few inquisitors in each city.

Now, the only hmm problem I have is Rumar being a mesmerist. It's a minor issue, however. Just consider the life of a professional con man, in the bronze and early iron age. It'll be a challenge. Not sure what to do with those free languages yet. I'll wing it later on.

What domain? Note that you'll start "devoted to an ideal" until a god shows interest in you.

ThatFantasticBard

Zenkai

Sounds fine so far. Sheet looks fine too at first glance.

Chul, yeah, the shifter would be fun and quite at home in this campaign. I am almost temped to allow it. Can't you do something similar within the classes in the prd?

ThatFantasticBard

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Alright! I'll go ahead and post him on the character sheet thread then.

Zenkai

NB. Inquisitors don't get bonus spells or spell slots from their domain.

Merdoroli

Rumar, the second son of a merchant, grew up in the shadow of his older brother, Ahum, who could do no wrong in their father's eyes. No matter what Rumar did, Ahum was the chosen son, and Rumar was always second place. He competed fiercely with Ahum in school, trying to outdo him, but he rarely succeeded, and when he did it was overlooked. Most of the teachers were paid very well to ensure Ahum got the best education possible and they reciprocated by speaking highly him at every opportunity but they  weren't paid nearly so well for Rumar. Their father only needed one son to inherit the shop and carry on the name.

That all changed when Ahum went off to the priesthood. Suddenly Rumar needed to be trained to one day inherit the shop. Their father called on him to help more and more often, teaching him the ways of a merchant. Rumar, although angry at his father and jealous of his brother, did his best to garner his father's approval. He quickly found he had a natural talent for getting people to buy and sell things they usually wouldn't for sometimes ridiculous prices. He had no patience for the math involved though. Market prices and supply and demand and so on. It was all so boring. The people themselves were what interested Rumar. There were so many different people who would come into the shop. Slaves buying something for their masters, nobles searching for only the best, guards looking to sell something they'd found laying around. And Rumar quickly learned that while slaves are very easy to subtly intimidate into buying something at an higher price, that same tactic didn't work on nobles. Each new person was a puzzle.

As Rumar grew older he started being bored with just manipulating people in the shop. He started skipping classes, especially math classes, to wander among the people of the city. He learned about dice and gambling. Cards and card tricks. He learned to fake telling someones fortune, and to hypnotize people. His father was not happy to hear he'd been skipping class. But Rumar was used to that by now and the people out in the world were just so interesting. They all had their own lives and desires. Such subtle and easy manipulation and Rumar could get just about anything he wanted.

When Ahum came to Rumar one night asking about goblins and wanting to go out and kill some, Rumar was very hesitant at first. He had recently learned his power of persuasion wasn't purely good technique, it was at least partially something more. He had manifested a psychic illusion but he managed to keep it completely secret and he wasn't sure how far his powers went. What he did know though, is the right guy to talk to among the guards to get outside the city and right where the nearest goblin threat would be.

He decided to help Ahum, if only to learn more about his newfound powers and make sure Ahum made it back safely. As much as he was jealous of Ahum, Ahum was his brother, and he empathized with Ahum's boredom. Plus it was nice to hear of Ahum breaking a rule for once and he wanted to see what happened.

The entire trip was a nightmare. Rumar had no trouble getting them out of the city. Dazing an already sleepy guard. But the trip there and into the cave was such a long walk. And everyone was so quiet. It was boring and tiring. Once they got to the cave it was also very creepy and scary. He had a walking stick, tied to his wrist just in case, that cleverly hid a sword, a trick he'd picked up around the city but he wasn't very good with it. Fighting wasn't really his forte, and he wasn't sure his powers of persuasion would even work on a goblin. He was just about to tell them they should just turn around when he heard a scream from behind him.

He turned and saw Ahum's friend covered in goblins. He watched on in stunned silence, unable to think as the boy was ripped apart in front of his eyes until his brother grabbed his arm and pulled him out of his trance. Suddenly they were surrounded and running for it. They managed to make it a decent ways but Ahum was slower in his armor and the goblins were gaining on them. He concentrated and created what looked like a cave-in behind them. It had none of the noise of an actual cave in, and could easily be walked through, such that even a goblin could figure out it was fake but it would take them a minute. And that was all the boys needed.

Home at last, Rumar let Ahum do the talking. He was too ashamed and shocked to talk any himself. His father was mad as all hell of course, but Rumar didn't care. There was nothing his father could do that hurt any more than the image of that kid being torn to shreds in front of him. The image haunted him at night and kept him from sleep so Rumar started sneaking out to go see his brother. He didn't know who else to talk to. He didn't have any other real friends. Just people he used as a means to an end. He started to realize his brother and him had a lot in common.

He confided in his brother that he had a special gift, a power, and met with him regularly to learn to control and use it better. He wanted to be stronger to keep what he'd seen from happening to anyone else ever again.

Posting here for the same reasons ThatFantasticBard did. :D

Money wasn't really a problem for Rumar for the most part so he didn't face much of the problems a usual con man might I think. Most of his cons were done just for fun or to try to up sales at his father's shop. At least until the RP starts and he's away from his Father's money. Then he's bound to get in trouble. Considering your earlier Nurgle reference I don't think it's any more trouble than the rest of the gang will likely be in. Lol.

ThatFantasticBard

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:36:54 PM
NB. Inquisitors don't get bonus spells or spell slots from their domain.

Whoops, forgot about that. It should be fixed now.

Merdoroli

I slightly updated my character sheet. I didn't know there were alternate racial traits until I was talking with ThatFantasticBard. So I dropped the bonus human skill point for Silver Tongued. Hope that's still okay.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zenkai on March 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Chul, yeah, the shifter would be fun and quite at home in this campaign. I am almost temped to allow it. Can't you do something similar within the classes in the prd?

I can just gram one of the thirty other ideas i always have laying around  ;D

rikka

Hoping to get accepted.  Here's my character.

Urnina

Urnina is the daughter of a blacksmith in some isolated village within the valley.  Her father was disappointed when he was bore with a daughter instead with a son in order to pass on his legacy; due to this Urnina was frowned upon by her father and their relationship became indifferent at best to the woe of the girl.  Things took a turn for the worse when an accident left her father unable to continue his craft.  Urnina wanted to help out but what can useless girl like her do.  The god of blacksmiths came to her in a dream, like it is said to all who became blacksmiths, so it was unusual that he chose to appear before her.  The god asked her if she would do anything to gain his secrets.  Urnina did not give it a second thought and accepted. 

With the divine insight granted to her, in addition to having secretly watched her father's work through many hours during her spare time, took on the mantle of blacksmithing.  The work was hard and grueling, and was not profitable at first since many frown upon the idea of a woman being a blacksmith which has been a profession exclusively for men.  But Urnina persevered and continued on in spite when suffered an accident from the hazardous work that left her maimed for life - a give and take thing she suspects in exchange for being granted divine guidance and as a test of her faith.

As time passed on people slowly came to accept Urnina’s calling, and many clients locally and from the outside came seeking her services.  Perhaps they came to the lure of the only female blacksmith in the area.  She had produced many blades and armor especially to those who call themselves as adventurers.  It was from them that she learned of the goblin hunts, and of the fact that many women enter the life of adventuring in order to escape their sorry state.  Their tales prompt her of wishing herself of becoming an adventure but she just had too much responsibility here in her hometown especially having to tend to her stricken father.  That all changed however when her  father eventually died of misery, perhaps having never accepted the fact that he was succeeded by her daughter in his profession. 

In spite of what had gone between them, Urnina was devastated by the loss of her father, which had left her in being lull in her blacksmithing for a long time.  Eventually, deciding to get over her grief, she decided to close shop and sell off what possession she had in order to outfit herself and decide to strike out on her own, to become an adventure, and perhaps give a shot at those so-called goblin hunts.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

PixelatedPixie

Was there still time to apply or was this full/closed?

Zenkai

Group 1:

* Enlil, CN Fighter, played by Arcanist
* Evelyn, CG Rogue, played by Pipaluk
* Sabri, NG Bard, played by Thorne

Group 2:

* Ahum, LG Inquisitor (Protection), played by ThatFantasticBard
(2 free slots - probably Ahum's brother and Urmina)

Urmina looks fine from a mechanical standpoint. Smiths in the campaign work iron as well as bronze. It is considered a holy profession. All smiths working at the forge have met the god of smithing in their dreams; those of great skill have met him in person. Additionally, the work itself is quite unsuited for a woman, due to toxic fumes, injuries, and so on. Now, we just need to define her relationship with the god of smithing. Ideas? Preferences?

I'll take on 3 more characters to form a third group. There'll be some mixing and matching after the first adventure, so those groups are by no means definitive.

The first in character thread should be open today.

rikka

Can't think of any.  How about if she were an Alchemist or a Slayer?

Ons/Offs

Zenkai

Quote from: rikka on March 08, 2018, 04:32:21 AM
Can't think of any.  How about if she were an Alchemist or a Slayer?

Well, your backstory just screams Oracle to me, right down to persecution, a god allowing her access to a craft reserved for men, and so on. Alchemist doesn't seem to be connected to smithing, neither does Slayer.

In case you missed it the first time :  https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:DawnofMan

OOC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284135.0

Arcanist

Woohooo!
Thanks for the link Zenkai,
Hi Pipa;uk and Thorne, sent pm to get a bit of information
Regards, Arcanist

rikka

Quote from: Zenkai on March 08, 2018, 04:49:03 AM
Well, your backstory just screams Oracle to me, right down to persecution, a god allowing her access to a craft reserved for men, and so on. Alchemist doesn't seem to be connected to smithing, neither does Slayer.

Sorry for not making it clear.  I was considering making a new character in case what I presented was inappropriate.  Are alchemists allowed and can females take them as a class?  Could there be a secret society of women who fill in the roll of slayers?

But your suggestion on Urnina being a oracle seems intriguing and I think I will go with that. Thanks.

Ons/Offs

towerhouse

Inani

Inani was born a slave in the slum of a large city that worshiped the fertility goddess, Inanna (or whatever name).  Life was hard in the city.  The one hope for the slave children (male or female)  is that they get selected by a strange ritual by the priests who identify those who are ancestrally connected to the Goddess who once walked in the city.   He was selected at the age of six, and his life was suddenly changed to a life of opulence in the temple.  He lived among the future avatars who are groomed to learn to accept the spirit of their Goddess.  His training involved how to lead the people in their spiritual life, becoming a good example for others, proclaiming divine edicts that would ensure a good harvest.  Aside from learning how to summon the spirits, they were trained in becoming the avatar of Inanna.  These avatars would go out in the city, blessing believers in their Goddess's name.  Some temple priestess also reward temple donations with divine sex, although he did not hold interest in this.  The beauty and resemblance to the Goddesses created an awe that their Goddess was truly powerful, pushing the common citizens past their awful existence, as they promised a glorious afterlife. 

She took pride in transforming into the Goddess knowing how much good it brought, and as she grew older, she was more comfortable in her avatar form.  When she was 16, one of the worst famines hit the city in decades.  Many people died, the slaves, especially.  In her 17th year, it was proclaimed by the priest king a joining with the Goddess was needed to end the famine.  Due to the beauty of Inani as an avatar, she was selected as the one to perform a century old ritualistic sex marathon with the priest king.  She was convinced of the importance of the ceremony, but the old man was repulsive to her.  They prepared her for the sex marathon by doing divine rituals that would make her become a sex freak in bed, in order to satisfy the lusty priest king.  She feigned interest, but found an opportunity to escape, becoming a fugitive to her city.  She has been travelling the world trying to find herself, also fearing reprisal from her priestly order.    Her Goddess has not left her, which only confused her further, as she was taught that loyalty to her order was important to gain her powers.
-TH

On/Offs

towerhouse

So, I posted the character sheet as well.

Also, was wondering if I can get a drawback.  I really like the drawback called hedonistic.
-TH

On/Offs

PixelatedPixie

withdrawn

towerhouse

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on March 08, 2018, 04:08:32 PM
  BACKGROUND
The ranking priests always liked to say that Harshada was the result of sin and heresy, especially when she was around.  She was the daughter of a priest and a priestess, but never met either.  The priest was executed for violating his vows not long after she was born, the priestess simply vanished.  Harshada was raised an orphan, one of dozens running around the temple grounds.  They were a cheap and easy source of labour.  If they wanted food, clothes, a place to sleep, they had to work for it.  They cooked, cleaned, carried, and generally were seen scurrying about.

Harshada looks pretty cool.  Maybe some way Harshada and Inani can have linked background?
-TH

On/Offs

rikka

Finally updated my character's background as well as her sheet.

Ons/Offs

PixelatedPixie

Quote from: towerhouse on March 08, 2018, 05:20:24 PM
Harshada looks pretty cool.  Maybe some way Harshada and Inani can have linked background?

I am not opposed to a linked background, assuming we both get accepted.  Did you have anything specific in mind?

Zenkai

Inani looks good. Gods have direct contact with their priests - how do you imagine inani's relationship with the fertility goddess? You've shifted your character's gender from male to female halfway through the background, is that intentional? If so, I'm tempted to add some bits and pieces to your story. Mechanically, chainmail is extremely rare and of dwarven make. Be aware there will be people wanting it from you. You can have the drawback, although it's not really necessary.

Harshada also looks nice. She has the same chainmail problem. Perhaps you two have the rare equipment from the same source? Like a thankful trader you saved from goblins or screwed senseless? Alsol I have to think of Harley Quinn whenever I look at that pic.

Urnina is awesome. Almost like a female Haephaestos. Both thumbs up. Do you want to join up with Rumar and Ahum? Do post in the character sheets thread as well.

PixelatedPixie

I missed the bit about chainmail, sorry.  I can change it, I just figured they grabbed whatever old stuff was in an armoury and tossed it at her as they shoved her out the door.  I was trying to use most of her money without loading her up with stuff.  I was figuring it was old, dusty, and disused, it could be valuable, and I am fine with people wanting it from her.  She could have gotten it from a trader she rescued if that works better.  But it would be easy enough to switch to scale mail or something else. 

towerhouse

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on March 08, 2018, 10:01:01 PM
I am not opposed to a linked background, assuming we both get accepted.  Did you have anything specific in mind?

Yeah, initially I was thinking like they came from the same temple, but I wasn't sure what your deity was.  If not, they may have met during travel, sharing their philosophy about their religious faith.  Inani has recently been shocked to realize she still has powers of her faith, even though she has been excommunicated by her temple, so maybe sharing about how Harshada gained powers without official training can help her learn how it works.
-TH

On/Offs

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 08, 2018, 11:44:00 PM
Inani looks good. Gods have direct contact with their priests - how do you imagine inani's relationship with the fertility goddess? You've shifted your character's gender from male to female halfway through the background, is that intentional? If so, I'm tempted to add some bits and pieces to your story. Mechanically, chainmail is extremely rare and of dwarven make. Be aware there will be people wanting it from you. You can have the drawback, although it's not really necessary.

Harshada also looks nice. She has the same chainmail problem. Perhaps you two have the rare equipment from the same source? Like a thankful trader you saved from goblins or screwed senseless? Alsol I have to think of Harley Quinn whenever I look at that pic.

Urnina is awesome. Almost like a female Haephaestos. Both thumbs up. Do you want to join up with Rumar and Ahum? Do post in the character sheets thread as well.

Yeah, missed the chainmail too.  I changed it to studded leather.  Go ahead and add pieces to the story about the gender change.  I was thinking it happened not too long ago though...maybe a few months. 

As for the fertility goddess, I wasn't sure she would be so involved with the city.  I can imagine her teaching Inani and her fellow avatars about sex, though she would want them to be independent as well, always having the freedom to say no...as that is the allure.  If Inani is totally rejected by the fertility goddess, would she lose her spells?  I can imagine two possibilities:  1)  The fertility goddess loves sex and is very strict.  She rejects any one of her followers who disobey her orders to have sex with anyone she chooses.  2)  She is very open and loving, allowing her followers to chose. 

I actually prefer the first, but I just don't want Inani to lose her spells.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Quote from: towerhouse on March 09, 2018, 12:46:33 AM
Yeah, missed the chainmail too.  I changed it to studded leather.  Go ahead and add pieces to the story about the gender change.  I was thinking it happened not too long ago though...maybe a few months. 

As for the fertility goddess, I wasn't sure she would be so involved with the city.  I can imagine her teaching Inani and her fellow avatars about sex, though she would want them to be independent as well, always having the freedom to say no...as that is the allure.  If Inani is totally rejected by the fertility goddess, would she lose her spells?  I can imagine two possibilities:  1)  The fertility goddess loves sex and is very strict.  She rejects any one of her followers who disobey her orders to have sex with anyone she chooses.  2)  She is very open and loving, allowing her followers to chose. 

I actually prefer the first, but I just don't want Inani to lose her spells.

How much kink do you want in that transformation, or am I free to wing it?

The fertility goddess does have a mischievous side, mildly speaking. Offending her means death and barren fields. But if she likes you, you might drown in gifts. Inani's eidolon might be an embryonic avatar of the goddess. Who knows what will happen once it grows enough? At any rate, she won't be losing her powers any time soon, if at all. We'll need to modify the summoning list too, when the time comes.

I love the summoner class, so many ways to twist it into interesting shapes.

rikka

That would be great if we're raring to go.

Posted my character sheet.

Ons/Offs

Zenkai

Rumar, Ahum, and Urnina will form group #2 then. You can work out how you met; your starting position will be the same as Group 1. Approaching a small village you're hired to save from goblins. Your game thread will be up tomorrow.

ThatFantasticBard

Hrm, I'd say it's pretty obvious how Rumar and Ahum met, so we don't really have to figure that one out. :p

As for Urnina, I'd say that Ahum often went to her to get training gear from the temple repaired. I guess he couldve gone to her the day before he left to deal with the Goblins to get his gear in good shape only to find out she closed down her shop? And since she was looking to become an adventurer herself, they could've decided to team up to deal with the Goblin problem.

Of course if anyone else has a better idea feel free to chime in.

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 09, 2018, 04:56:13 AM
How much kink do you want in that transformation, or am I free to wing it?

The fertility goddess does have a mischievous side, mildly speaking. Offending her means death and barren fields. But if she likes you, you might drown in gifts. Inani's eidolon might be an embryonic avatar of the goddess. Who knows what will happen once it grows enough? At any rate, she won't be losing her powers any time soon, if at all. We'll need to modify the summoning list too, when the time comes.

I love the summoner class, so many ways to twist it into interesting shapes.

I'm fine with any kinks.  I do have some On/Offs (M/M and not totally comfortable with futa).  I'm also hoping that she is still a female virgin at the start of the game.   How about the full transformation into a female happened right before she escaped as they did it to her when they prepared her for the sex ritual with the Priest-King?

If this is fine, I'll change the background.  And modifying summoning list is fine too.
-TH

On/Offs

Merdoroli

That seems fine. Rumar also would very likely have heard of her if she was in the same city as them. As he helped run the shop he'd know a lot of the local shops and suppliers. He also loves gossip so he's not likely to miss rumors of a female blacksmith. He likely wouldn't have met her however. At her shop at the least. Out and about on the town he might have but he'd want to avoid anyone thinking he was using her as a supplier as those rumors would hurt his father's shop's image and income so he'd avoid her shop proper.

PixelatedPixie

Quote from: towerhouse on March 09, 2018, 12:38:21 AM
Yeah, initially I was thinking like they came from the same temple, but I wasn't sure what your deity was.  If not, they may have met during travel, sharing their philosophy about their religious faith.  Inani has recently been shocked to realize she still has powers of her faith, even though she has been excommunicated by her temple, so maybe sharing about how Harshada gained powers without official training can help her learn how it works.

I didn't have a specific deity in mind, but went sun/protection, so probably not a/the fertility goddess.  But they could have run into each other at some point, though Harshada wouldn't have any more information about her divine magic than Inani.

Zenkai

Just to point out again, you don't have a god at the beginning of a game, and are instead considered to follow a divine concept (see http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/classes/cleric.html ). once a god shows interest in you, you can start following him. Divine magic is learned by talented pupils in scribe schools; non-talented scribes go on to work in the priesthood and are the pillars of palace economy. Inani is more or less an exception, because the fertility goddess has taken a personal interest in him/her.

Inani was born a slave in the slums Uruk. His early days were little more than ratlike scurrying under the whips of the overseers. Despite the harsh conditions, he was managing to eke out a reasonably comfortable exisetnce, compared to other slave children. Sometimes he thought his life was charmed. Then, at age 6, when children were split off to different duties according to the judgement of the overseers, life took a curous turn. A priestess from the temple of fertility picked him out, along with six pretty girls. That rose some eyebrows. Suddenly his life turned around, and lived with the girls in the temple's private scribe school. When not learning, he was doing the same chores as the other girls. At twelve, having memorized the books of rituals and holy edicts, he fully expected to become a priest. But that was again not to be. Instead, he was bathed in a pool of milk and honey, priestesses taking good care of his body, given new quarters. He attended lessons with future priestesses, soaked in the pool during the evenings, for the next six years. He became fair like a woman, an unearthly beauty shining from his androgynous face. At times, one could see an ethereal form shimmering around him. The established priestesses turned their heads from him and muttered, but none dared to do anything against him.

Finally, his eighteenth birthday was due. That evening, instead of the usual priestesses taking care of him, there was a woman of unearthly beauty, clad in gauze, an eight-pointed star tattoo on her forehead. A lion dozed in one corner of the room. The goddess herself had come to appreciate him. She bid him to lie with her on the altar, and he did. She bid him to drink her milk, and he did. She bid him to cut his flesh with an obsidian razor, and he did.

Next morning the high priestess, with a more than slightly miffed expression in her eyes, proclaimed that Inani was to be the priest-king's ritual bride. Everyone turned to see him, and saw a woman of stunning beauty instead. The ritual sex marathon with the priest king would be hers. The importance of the ceremony was great, but the old man was repulsive.  So only mere days after being visited by the goddess of fertility herself, Inani eloped. She was sure she heard the goddess laugh somewhere as the city stayed far behind her. The gifts she had, however, stayed with her.

Zenkai

group 2 launched in the IC thread. We have 2 more player spots free for group 3 before closing recruitment.

Arcanist

Scared me there for a bit until I did a double take on the names of the villages. Welcome to the goblin hunt

Zenkai

Quote from: Arcanist on March 10, 2018, 11:01:33 AM
Scared me there for a bit until I did a double take on the names of the villages. Welcome to the goblin hunt

If that scares you...  >:)

Arcanist

towerhouse

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on March 09, 2018, 11:38:16 PM
I didn't have a specific deity in mind, but went sun/protection, so probably not a/the fertility goddess.  But they could have run into each other at some point, though Harshada wouldn't have any more information about her divine magic than Inani.

Let’s say they ran into each other and were kindred spirits. Harshada convinces Inani to protect villages from goblins, which Inani agrees cause... nothing better to do.
-TH

On/Offs

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 10, 2018, 07:45:53 AM
Just to point out again, you don't have a god at the beginning of a game, and are instead considered to follow a divine concept (see http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/classes/cleric.html ). once a god shows interest in you, you can start following him. Divine magic is learned by talented pupils in scribe schools; non-talented scribes go on to work in the priesthood and are the pillars of palace economy. Inani is more or less an exception, because the fertility goddess has taken a personal interest in him/her.

Inani was born a slave in the slums Uruk. His early days were little more than ratlike scurrying under the whips of the overseers. Despite the harsh conditions, he was managing to eke out a reasonably comfortable exisetnce, compared to other slave children. Sometimes he thought his life was charmed. Then, at age 6, when children were split off to different duties according to the judgement of the overseers, life took a curous turn. A priestess from the temple of fertility picked him out, along with six pretty girls. That rose some eyebrows. Suddenly his life turned around, and lived with the girls in the temple's private scribe school. When not learning, he was doing the same chores as the other girls. At twelve, having memorized the books of rituals and holy edicts, he fully expected to become a priest. But that was again not to be. Instead, he was bathed in a pool of milk and honey, priestesses taking good care of his body, given new quarters. He attended lessons with future priestesses, soaked in the pool during the evenings, for the next six years. He became fair like a woman, an unearthly beauty shining from his androgynous face. At times, one could see an ethereal form shimmering around him. The established priestesses turned their heads from him and muttered, but none dared to do anything against him.

Finally, his eighteenth birthday was due. That evening, instead of the usual priestesses taking care of him, there was a woman of unearthly beauty, clad in gauze, an eight-pointed star tattoo on her forehead. A lion dozed in one corner of the room. The goddess herself had come to appreciate him. She bid him to lie with her on the altar, and he did. She bid him to drink her milk, and he did. She bid him to cut his flesh with an obsidian razor, and he did.

Next morning the high priestess, with a more than slightly miffed expression in her eyes, proclaimed that Inani was to be the priest-king's ritual bride. Everyone turned to see him, and saw a woman of stunning beauty instead. The ritual sex marathon with the priest king would be hers. The importance of the ceremony was great, but the old man was repulsive.  So only mere days after being visited by the goddess of fertility herself, Inani eloped. She was sure she heard the goddess laugh somewhere as the city stayed far behind her. The gifts she had, however, stayed with her.

That looks good.  One question:  when does she gain the eidolon transformation?  Was it after the meeting with the goddess or before?  I’m assuming she still has to transform to her eidolon everyday, who is an embryonic goddess of fertility.
-TH

On/Offs

Zenkai

Quote from: towerhouse on March 10, 2018, 03:53:27 PM
That looks good.  One question:  when does she gain the eidolon transformation?  Was it after the meeting with the goddess or before?  I’m assuming she still has to transform to her eidolon everyday, who is an embryonic goddess of fertility.

Well, she's been practicing it for years (the shimmer around him that I mentioned), but it came in force during the transformation to female. Also, it's an embryonic avatar, not an embryonic goddess. An avatar in the D&D sense of a material manifestation of a deity - a herald if you will; a very real fragment of the deity's might. She doesn't have to transform if she doesn't want to; the connection to her eidolon (and thus the goddess) is permanent.

PixelatedPixie

I'm going to back out of my application.  Best of luck.

towerhouse

Quote from: Zenkai on March 10, 2018, 05:38:59 PM
Well, she's been practicing it for years (the shimmer around him that I mentioned), but it came in force during the transformation to female. Also, it's an embryonic avatar, not an embryonic goddess. An avatar in the D&D sense of a material manifestation of a deity - a herald if you will; a very real fragment of the deity's might. She doesn't have to transform if she doesn't want to; the connection to her eidolon (and thus the goddess) is permanent.

That sounds good.  I'll just wait until other people apply then.  Also, PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric:  Sorry to see you go.
-TH

On/Offs

schnookums

I'm having some Writer's block when it comes to character creation...shaman wasn't working for me, so I'm trying to think of another idea.

Zenkai

Quote from: schnookums on March 12, 2018, 08:00:04 PM
I'm having some Writer's block when it comes to character creation...shaman wasn't working for me, so I'm trying to think of another idea.

Can we aid you in brainstorming?

You could skim through the information on the wiki ( https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:DawnofMan ) to stir your idea factory.

schnookums

Well sad to say some of it is just doing the number crunching. A 1st level character isn't too bad to make but I've grown a bit burnt out by the technical aspects of chargen. I'll come up with something though.