Power Rangers. Kamen Rider, Sentai, suits and monsters

Started by Sabby, December 20, 2010, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 05:01:57 PM
Magna Defender, the Max Payne of Power Rangers.

I was thinking Magna Defender, but for some reason it didn't sound right in my head.  There was also Ninjor and that guy that looked like a police car from Turbo.  Though, yeah, I doubt any of them did any of the kind of intensive stunt work as the guys in the more traditional ranger costumes.

Though, I'm hoping the metaphor you used doesn't apply to the movie Max Payne... *laughs* that would mean Lost Galaxy was pretty terrible.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Nah, he's just a dad with nothing left to lose whose totally obsessed with revenge and will watch the world burn to get it.

Sabby

Been checking out Youtube out of boredom. Remember a while ago I brought up the original plot for Ninja Storm being a massive civil war with all past seasons involved? Apparently, theres a huge fan fiction scene for this o.O plenty of terrible and brilliant concepts out there. One even involves Zordon, somehow, crashing to Earth to deliver a warning of Earths end. Dunno why, but that concept kind of hits me in a good way, couldn't explain it. Might have been the music choice for the vid.

They're mostly badly cut together mishmashes of the Rangers the guy really really really wants to see together, with that horrendous Windows Movie Maker default text wipe to explain the plot.

Been thinking, trying to set up my own plot for this, and... I knew it would be hard, but it's HARD. Including fan favourite Rangers from almost every season, minimizing the backlash you'll get for the ones you don't include, writing off those ones in flattering ways, and just trying to tie it all into a coherent and easy to follow plot is just fucking insane. I'm doing okay, I guess, but this kind of crossover can only work with time travel/multiple dimensions, and those are a shit factory to work with.

The gist of my idea so far is Venjix, (alternate universe, I know, but hey, if anyone could make a Time AND Dimension machine, he can) whose identity would be a huge mystery for most of it, escapes in time travel tech far different to Time Force, jumping randomly to try and track down repairs, which results in him offing key villains to merge. Obviously, this gains Time Forces attention, who run by SPD as Venjix jumps through there, stealing Gruumm's 'parts' as he does. They team up, follow him Doctor Who style through time and space, slowly collection more Rangers as they go and forming one big collaborative hunt, while the villains start teaming up to defend themselves and have to grudgingly side with the Rangers.

In the end, you have the perfect Venjix revealed just in time for Doctor K and RPM to finally have followed him.

Thats all I got so far, VERY rough draft.

Violence

So here's how I'd do it... ^.^;; not that anybody asked or cared...

Start with Zordon (or Alpha or even freshly Good-i-fied Rita... some powerful mentor figure) coming to Earth on death's door, just like you said.  They have a warning about a great evil coming towards Earth.  Turns out that there's an armada coming that's so powerful that even Dark Specter was afraid of it's reach.  So Tommy gets together just everybody... like every character that's ever morphed answers his call.  The SPD and Time Force Rangers come in from the future, even, because if these invaders win then there won't be a future and this event isn't supposed to have happened like many of the others (presuming you even need a reason to explain why they didn't come back from the future to help with other invasions).

So the invaders get here and Tommy's assembled pretty much an army of his own.  But even with the army they just can't handle the numbers, so they come up with a plan to use all of their powers up as a desperation move, hoping to take the invading force out.  It succeeds, but in doing so, it seperates all the rangers from their powers (again) and scatters them off into the reaches of space.  But at least the Earth is saved.

... or is it?! Dun dun dun... *couldn't resist*

Most everybody agrees that it's okay if their powers are gone as long as the world is safe, even if the SPD and Time Force guys are stuck in the past now.  Hell, a certain pink Time Force ranger would probably find it a bittersweet joy to find herself in the past again.  But while he's on his way back to his home planet, Andros discovers that they didn't stop the enemy empire... they just stopped a fleet.  He contacts Tommy and agrees to try and find all the powers again, telling everybody to be ready to take up arms again once he gets back.  But even just getting the powers, Andros is going to need help, so he gathers up two guys who don't seem to have any love for this empire and they agree to help him.

Cut to some time later and Andros hasn't been heard from in a while.  The enemy is getting closer and the Ex-Rangers are getting nervous, then Andros' ship comes back in what seems like just the nick of time.  But... Andros isn't on it.  Instead, it's 5 new rangers, the leader of which being one of the two guys who had been helping Andros.  5 rangers with the ability to access all of the former power-morphed forms of their predecessors.  The good news is that they seem more than willing to fight the bad guys, even if they're doing it for their own reasons and not the protection of Earth.  The bad news is that they don't seem especially keen on giving back the powers that they've collected.  The bad news for the 5 new rangers is that in order to access the full potential of those powers they need to understand those powers, something that can only be learned from the people to whom the powers originally belonged.

So you've got a substantial camp that's like "Hey, give us our shit back, I'm super serious, man!" because they believe the best way to fight the invaders is by everybody teaming up again.  But Andros' protoge is like "Yeah?  How did that work out for you guys last time?" and feels that he has a better plan for dealing with the problem.

Further complicating matters is the rumor that the new red ranger was responsible for killing Andros and that's why he has all these powers now.  His teammates don't know anything about it, and he's always quiet on the subject.  But the line between present and predecessor gets even more divisive when Andros' other protoge shows up also with the ability to access past ranger powers, worse, he seems able to manifest every previous 6th ranger as a acting soldier under his command.  He also doesn't seem interested in understanding anybody, he just wants to kill off all the previous rangers to prevent the new rangers from being able to complete their powers again.  That could lead to pretty cool scenes like Tommy having to defend people from his Green and White Ranger forms, Doggie Kruger vs Shadow Ranger, etc... and awesome fight scenes are always awesome.

So now you've got 3 factions.  The invading armada.  The new rangers and the past rangers that trust the new rangers.  And then you have the past rangers who don't trust the new rangers.  You could even split the line through times, it wouldn't have to be like all the MMPR era guys are in the same camp, or whatever.  Also, with regards to any of the rangers whose actors either can't or won't come back you can make them into heroes having gived their lives during the great battle.  Assuming, again, that you wanted to address the subject at all.

Eventually Billy and some of the other tech-guys figure out a way to access some of the powers on their own, so Earth will be able to have a ranger that both sides can agree has Earth's interests at heart... but the bad news being that it won't work on anybody who's ever been a ranger before.  So they leave it up to Tommy to hand-pick a new 6th ranger.  My personal choice would probably be to use Skull - of Bulk and Skull fame - since he's an established Ranger fanboy who's had his own personal journey from bully to vagabond to heroic type.  He'd understand the powers because he's interacted with about as many teams as Tommy has and done some courageous stuff too, while the costume would just look silly on Bulk.  Of course, if he's too old to be the part ( "I'm may be old, but I can still do it..." ) you could just make up a new guy, I suppose.

Anyways... that's how I would do it... ^.^;;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Oniya

I think the current Skull (in Samurai) is a younger relative of the original Skull - so a 'new guy' wouldn't be too hard to fit into the continuity.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Bulk and Spike... what a huge disappointment. Bulk and Skull weren't very funny, but they had, ya know... an actual connection to the show, they weren't a random cut away gag. Bulk and Skull actually had a chance to develope into something more then slapstick, I can't see Bulk and Spike doing the same with this kind of set up.

Plus Spike needs to leave and come back when he's hit puberty.

Violence

Quote from: Oniya on August 28, 2011, 04:31:23 PM
I think the current Skull (in Samurai) is a younger relative of the original Skull - so a 'new guy' wouldn't be too hard to fit into the continuity.

Apparently it's supposed to be his son, so you're right.  I feel stupid for not knowing that those two were brought back. ^.^;; No cable means I wasn't ever able to catch any of Samurai this year.

Oniya

Meh - I've caught the odd episode here and there.  It was easier to follow when they showed it during the 'before school cartoon block'.  But what I'm saying is that a 'new character' with some connection could be written in.  Maybe Bulk has a kid somewhere, who is avoiding his crazy dad and 'cousin', but actually has some chops.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

Spike is Bulks nephew, which implies him and Skull were brothers, or at least were close enough that he's a family friend who they can call uncle.

But they're whole connection to the show is lost in those 3 episodes Nick decided we didn't need to see, so all we know is they wanna learn to be Samurai and the little one has his balls somewhere in his nasal passage.

Bulk, you fought with the Space Rangers and liberated Earth x.x let it go man, your going bald, quit while your ahead man.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 28, 2011, 05:00:04 PM
Spike is Bulks nephew, which implies him and Skull were brothers, or at least were close enough that he's a family friend who they can call uncle.

But they're whole connection to the show is lost in those 3 episodes Nick decided we didn't need to see, so all we know is they wanna learn to be Samurai and the little one has his balls somewhere in his nasal passage.

Bulk, you fought with the Space Rangers and liberated Earth x.x let it go man, your going bald, quit while your ahead man.

It sounds like a better use of them (if you wanted them at all) would have been to have Bulk trying to keep the kid out of all of that, while the kid wanted to be a part of it.  Bulk does seem like he should have outgrown that.

Then again, I suppose you don't really ever outgrow the want to be a superhero. >.>;;

I also have to confess that I kinda cheated on my "How I would do it" since it's basically just Americanizing the plot of Gokaiger... ^.^;; But that means you might see something like that in the next two years.  Assuming that the production company figures out how to either explain or edit out the scenes involving rangers American audiences won't recognize.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 28, 2011, 05:00:04 PM
let it go man, your going bald, quit while your ahead man.

He doesn't have to quit because of that - but he does need to grow a Fu Manchu mustache and start speaking in 'fortune cookie'.  ;D

Sabby

Have some more RPM fanwanking for you all xD can't get enough of this season...

Venjix Tribute
I fucking love Venjix... best villain ever.

Dillon Tribute
Dillon <3 If I was straight like a railway spike I'd still do him.

Power Rangers RPM: Devour (It's Your Final Hour!)
Awesome song choice!

Ziggy Grover is Perfection
It's true! xD He's so perfection.

And now one that's not RPM for once, one of my favourite Rangers ever. Quantum Ranger, from Time Force.

Quantum Ranger Tribute

Sabby

I give you more evidence of why Power Rangers should not do rap x.x

Power Rangers Mystic Force

Sabby

Power Rangers RPM Ep 1 The Road To Corinth Part 1

Watch it. If you feel chills up your spine, thats entirely normal.

Sabby

Rewatching RPM, picked up on something I missed last time. Dillons shield ability. It can theoretically stop any amount of force for 5 seconds, but since it draws energy from the Bio-Field (Morphing Grid) it can fail if the user isn't putting the energy into it himself. Which means he needs absolute, unwavering faith in the shield. If he doesn't believe it will work, then it won't work. Naturally, the only way to train that kind of immediate response is to have him completely disregard his own safety and place himself in front of serious danger without so much as a pause. He's gotta completely irradicate his own sense of self preservation.

So, Dillon is pretty much Harry Dresen now. That much manliness in one place would be like a singularity.

Sabby

Found the most incredible channel on Youtube, some guy who makes Power Rangers openings way better then the real ones. Ya gotta see his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kadam1991

Sabby

It's back on!

Power Rangers: Samurai - Episode 17 Preview (HD)

There's even a Samurai/RPM crossover coming up :) No idea how the hell that works, but meh, it's Dillon and Jayden!

Sabby

Guess I'm the only Elliquian still following? Well, the origin episodes are finally out, and so far, they've established absolutely nothing we didn't know besides confirming Spike is Skulls son, establishing Saban's typical 'cute' character traits that never made it past the first few episodes, and that the acting was actually much worse in the beginning.

I find Bulk to be a perfect metaphor for the show itself. In the beginning, it was kind of charming, but mostly annoying, it slowly clawed its way into something deeper and more respectable, finally reached its peak, and then Saban comes around to fuck it all up!

Samael

I think the last season I watched was Power Rangers Zeo (which had a kickass opening theme).
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

krakenknight

Quote from: Sabby on October 26, 2011, 02:07:44 AM
Guess I'm the only Elliquian still following? Well, the origin episodes are finally out, and so far, they've established absolutely nothing we didn't know besides confirming Spike is Skulls son, establishing Saban's typical 'cute' character traits that never made it past the first few episodes, and that the acting was actually much worse in the beginning.

I find Bulk to be a perfect metaphor for the show itself. In the beginning, it was kind of charming, but mostly annoying, it slowly clawed its way into something deeper and more respectable, finally reached its peak, and then Saban comes around to fuck it all up!

Samurai only started on Nick in my country last week. Must say it looks OK but the disks are wonderfully plastic.

Sabby

Haha, yeah, I just hope they sell movie quality weapons... want that Fire Smasher >.> Power Rangers never sells good merchandise outside the toys. And just to clarify, I am LIKING Samurai, just not loving, my criticisms are just my typical venting xD I still think Saban is doing the series some harm and that it was better off without him.

And yes, Zeo's opening was awesome!

Power Rangers Zeo opening 6

Sabby

Okay, one thing Samurai is definitely doing well. Zord fights. They're usually the boring part for me. The costumes are so bulky they can't do a whole lot so they resort to the special moves instead of fighting a lot of the time. Which is a waste, because it assumes the Zords should fight the same way the on foot battles go. A few seasons really played on the size and weight of the robots, like Jungle Fury, and Samurai seems to be nailing it. Plus the Megazord fights multiple opponents now, and it seems more like a bunch of incredibly heavy and bulky wrestlers flailing 20 ton fists at each other. It just feels more accurate.

Sabby

Power rangers jungle fury 32 - Now The Final Fury

My favourite finale so far.

Oh fuck you Firefox! Favourite does so have a u in it. Struth.

Sabby

About to watch Clash of the Red Rangers... peeking at the screen shots, and I see Scott, Morphed. That's about it... no Dillon, no Ziggy, no Dr K, not even Scott's face. This is guna suck, isn't it?

Kunoichi

Having already seen it?

Yes.  Yes it will.