Game Protagonists at War (Accepting Applications)

Started by BruceTheCat, August 11, 2014, 10:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

We have just reached Big Game Status! We are looking to recruit more female players for the future of what is shaping up to be an amazing, long term game!

Game link - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=555.0

Hey everyone! I wanted to recruit interest for a Kingdom Hearts/Fables-esk adventure, character based game.

The Story

Nearly a century has passed since the terrifying organization known as The Legion began to systematically invade, and conquer the major Video Game home worlds. The first assault decimated the world of Hyrule, the once ancient castle twisted and morphed into the seat of power for the Council of Villains and their armies. Since then the dark armies spider webbed out, lead by powerful enemies to bring every world under their control. Video Game heroes, or Protagonists soon realized that they were no match for the combined might of not only a unfamiliar enemy, but more than a single Boss Villain.

Protagonists attempted several counter attacks, but to no success. With each conquered world, The Legion acquired countless rare and powerful artifacts that allowed them a significant edge in battle. The Council of Villains also seemed to never use what could be considered 'familiar' enemies to take one home world. The greatest examples of this strategy being when Diablo conquered Mario World in a single day with the use of his monstrous demons. Or how Master Chief was forced into retreat after nearly a solid year against the combined might of both Bowser and Dark Samus.

Protagonists were forced to fall back from world to world, the refugees eventually hiding in the mortal realm. Using their magics and technology to carve out several city blocks of modern day New York. The spells devised mask it's presence so that no human would ever enter, allowing them to carve out some semblance of a "normal" life all living together.

Some worlds remain unconquered, but certainly not for long. A meeting has been called at the Babylon Castle (Prince of Persia), with some of the strongest Video Game characters asked to be present. Can the Protagonists band together for a final attempt to retake their homes?

The Game

If you are familiar with the Fable series by Vertigo Comics (also The Wolf Among Us) then you will see that this idea has several parallels. I tried to create a sort of mix between Fables, and Kingdom Hearts but using specifically Video Game characters.

This game is meant to have a bit of a darker theme. The overall idea is that the players will band together and systematically take back home worlds while exposing the larger plot of The Legion and the Council of Villains. I really like this concept primarily because it allows us to have fight scenes, and character interaction between people from vastly different video game canons. I feel confident that we can have a equal mixture of action/adventure.

The Heroes and Villains

The world is your oyster on this one. The only thing I ask is that you pick a character from a semi-well known video game world and character. It does not have to be a recent title, or even video game classic. You do not have to pick the "main character" of your series. For instance, you could choose to play Garrus instead of Shepard from the Mass Effect series. Or Zelda/Sheik instead of Link. You may also play villains if you choose, though during the creation of your back-story you need to account for the fact that you must have transitioned to the good-guy side for some reason.

Do not feel obligated to do a bunch of justice to your characters personality. Most video game characters are super one dimensional. Have fun adding depth to those characters.

You may pick a movie or book character as long as a video game has been made about the series.

The Powers

There are a few important notes to keep in mind. First, all video game characters are immortal age and looks wise. They are basically frozen physically in the state of their initial creation. On top of this they are extremely hard to kill. Link could take a sword through the chest, and though he'd be down for a fair deal of time, eventually it would heal. The only things that can destroy a video game character would be decapitation, or instantaneous destruction. Protagonist bodies are extremely resilient though, so you can imagine how hard this would be to pull off. Hence why so many of them are still alive. If you choose to play a video game character that is fundamentally immortal, or cannot be decapitated (Kirby) we can discuss some weakness through PM.

You are also welcome to play a monster-type character, and choose for them to appear human. All Protagonists and Villain's share certain powers. One of these powers is the ability to turn into a humanoid version of their character. That way you can travel more easily, and converse or have sex without it being crazy weird.

Unless I say otherwise you can also assume that you have the max-level powers and items of your respective characters. There are a few I have in mind that The Legion would have obtained during their conquest. Understand though that every video game character is concerned to be roughly at the same strength level of all others. Meaning if you decide to play Dante from Devil May Cry, you could get your ass beat by Dr. Robotnik or The Reapers in a fight.

Lastly, each video game character (Protagonist or Villain) have the essence of their home world inside of them. At no detriment to themselves, they can transfer part of this essence into others. In doing so, that person is able to freely travel to and from that world. This is how you guys as players will be able to liberate major worlds.

The Sex

Since I know that most people (myself included) enjoy the smut in their story RPs, I want to basically make it where video game characters are just by nature extremely promiscuous. Aggravated by the fact that (for instance) Mario has been in a world for centuries with the same woman, then suddenly meets Laura Croft. Unless you develop some deeper relationship with another video game character, their is nothing unusual about having sex with other Protagonists.

The Rules

I don't have many, but my two biggest pet peeves are A) Posting what some other character does or says without their consent and B) Not abiding by the required post rate. The required post rate for this game will be once every 2 days minimum. You can post as much as you like otherwise. If after 5+ days you have not yet posted without shooting a reason in the OOC or via PM to me, then your character is going to be set aside. We do not have a posting order because I don't want those available to be waiting on posts from those not available.

I have a job, and so do all of you probably. There will probably be slow weeks here and there. If and when that happens I will notify everyone via the OOC section. This is something I have not done in the past, and it has affected my previous games and players.

The Character Sheets

A lot of this will be self-explanatory if you choose a more famous video game character. What I am primarily interested in is what your character has been doing since the invasion of The Legion. I am going to allow everyone to determine what happened to their own world. Whether it was conquered or not yet, occupied or completely destroyed. In rare circumstances will I intervene if I have something planned for that specific character's world. I will be playing in this game as well, but will hold off on picking a character.

Also, I would like to know what you currently do in the Modern Day world. Since you don't need to eat, it is not necessary that you actually have a job. But, it would add some nice character flavor. I would like to have a even ratio of female to male characters. So I apologize if I end up rejecting your application in order to hold to that dynamic.

Feel free to post your character sheets in this thread. Do not transition them over to the OOC section until you have received approval from me. If you want to get your sheet out there, but leave in a note that says you are going to discuss pre-existing relationships with other characters after approval, that is fine with me as well.

[center][size=12pt][b]Name Here[b][/size][/center]

[float=right][img padding=10]Character Image Here, Duh[/img][/float]

[float=right][img padding=10]Human appearance if monster[/img][/float] *Not required*

[b]Current Occupation:[/b] [Your character's current day job. Nothing that pays too well, remember they're not supposed to start out rich.]

[b]Home World Information:[/b]

[b]Appearance/Style Description:[/b] *You can make your appearance more modern, or completely different from the game character. Also, feel free to add something changing how they look to make them more physically attractive.

[b]Personality:[/b] [The most important part. Try to make it interesting and believable.]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Current Situation:[/b]

[b]Weapon:[/b] You may have a weapon that is not in your canon, just explain it in your backstory. Maybe you picked it up while helping to defend another home world. For instance of Mario wanted to have a Covenant Plasma Sword. Go nuts.

[img]Flavor image[/img]

[b]Stats[/b] - We have 5 different stats in the game. We do not roll for hitting, or use it to track health. The purpose of these stats is [i]only[/i] to help the GMs during the free-form fights. We have a better gauge of how strong you are, versus how strong another character is. And vice versa. New characters will start with 4 points to spend. Strength, Agility, Stamina, and Power will all start at 1. Reputation starts at 0.

[i]Strength[/i] - How hard you hit, critical hit, bench, etc. "Strength" is a relative term. If you are a projectile user, your bullets or arrow damage would be tied to your Strength. Think of this as the Strength of your basic attacks
[i]Agility[/i] - Your dexterity, maneuverability, and fighting prowess
[i]Stamina[/i] - How well you take damage, and how long you can go without being knocked unconscious or killed
[i]Power[/i] - How strong your non-physical powers are, and how long before they grow weak during a fight. Magic, Ki, Energy, all non-Strength related resources would factor into this stat. Think of this as the strength of your special attacks.
[i]Reputation[/i] - How well you are known in the Protagonist, and Legion organization. The higher your reputation, the greater your influence and chance of side scenes occurring for you that are story related. If you believe that your character has been involved in the fight against the Legion for a fair deal of time, and would be known about for their battles and deeds during this war, then this is that stat which reflects that renown. Please note, this stat has nothing to do with how famous, or popular your character is in video game history.

[b]Special Powers:[/b] You may feel free to invent a appropriate amount of custom powers for your character, that fit with their theme and game. I would not pick more than 3. You may have extra if you pick a character from a game that is not super-powered. Joel from The Last of Us.

[b]Strengths:[/b] This can be anything, related or not related to your character's fighting abilities. My recommendation would be to pick 2 things that make you a badass Protagonist, and 2 things that are not related to combat.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] This can also be anything, but note that [b]you must[/b] have at least 1 combat weakness. Try to shy away from just having personality related weaknesses, these need to be actual limitations of your character that can be used in the story. If you would like to PM me for discussion on this, because you want it to be a story element that's fine! Or potentially something related to your artifact weapon or home world.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Rel Mayer

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

This interests me so much on so many different levels. I've been wanting to play Baiken from Guilty Gear in a setting like this for a very long time. I'm still trying to piece together how she would fit into this world, but I'm throwing down a definite interested card.

I'll make a CS, if you'll have me.

BruceTheCat

“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

SmilingFox

Let me know if this is okay.

Character Name:Minato Arisato

Current Occupation: Minato works hard, but not for money. In his copious amounts of spare time he wanders around New York, doing odd jobs and helping people who need it. Most of the time, the people he chooses to spend his day with don't realize they need his help until after he's gone. The hours are long, the pay is terrible, and sometimes it's a thankless task, but it helps him sleep better at night.

Home World Information: Tatsumi Port Island. While there's a whole wide world attached to it, that's where everything went down really, and thus Minato refers to his home by that name. Minato was the elected leader of a team of special students, chosen to unravel the mystery behind an extra hour of time between 12:00am and 12:01. A time where creatures known as shadows emerged to devour the minds of their prey.

Over the course of a year they fought together, becoming fierce friends, overcoming all challenges and growing into a group of true heroes. When the apocalypse loomed, they chose to forsake blissful ignorance and face it head on, for the sake of everyone in the entire world. They were prepared to die for the chance to save everyone.

What they weren't prepared for, was an attack in broad daylight. Hit from all sides while in school, Minato was barely able to rally his team and fight back against the strange intruders. In the end, only he escaped that initial encounter, retreating to a new Earth to seek refuge in New York. With his friends, allies, and loved ones gone, dead or captured, he simply passes the time, trying to fill the void they left behind.

Appearance/Style Description: Minato's body type is one some people would call ordinary. For all of his physical abilities, augmented by his persona and trained above and beyond peak human condition, he isn't much to look at. His body is lean and narrow, and though he's tall, he often ruins it by walking with a slouch. He still wears his suit-like school uniform, still wears his dark blue hair down over his face, and still goes about his business at a rather sedate pace.

Personality: The most common trait people pick up on, after speaking to Minato for more than a few minutes, is how disinterested he seems when not engaged with anyone. Like he has a 'neutral state', a blank slate that fills itself like a mirror when someone looks into it. When left to his own devices, he seems bored, apathetic, either laid back or uncaring. Still, even a few minutes of talking to him convinces most people he's some kind of charismatic genius, able to pick up minute social cues and make intuitive leaps. The most astute, however, wonder if the face he shows each person is truly him, or just another mask he shows the world.

History: Despite his abilities, Minato stubbornly refuses to get involved with much of the war effort. When asked, he often claims that other worlds aren't his problem, instead insisting that a rescue mission be launched on his home world. The arguments always end up heated, and sometimes violent, though he never instigates. As such, he hasn't been on many missions, tagging along only if the mission is in some way related to the world he left behind.

Current Situation: Currently, Minato mostly spends his days wandering about, helping who he can to stay busy. Those who know him well enough know he wants to help out, but feels too obligated to his home world to really do so.

Weapon: Minato possesses an assortment of old fashioned weapons, stylized after great weapons from mythology, with a fraction of their fabled powers. They are, in essence, the sum total of humanity's belief in the weapons. While powerful, in the hands of a competent wielder, they are far from the actual weapons of myth.

Special Powers: Persona: The power used by humans in Minato's world to confront Shadows, fragments of humanity that humans refused to acknowledge exist. Each persona is represented by a mythical being, the sum total of humanities belief in the thing represented. Whereas most people have only one, if any, Minato was gifted with the ability of the Wild Card. With it, he can switch between multiple persona, effectively changing how he defines himself as well as his supernatural abilities.

Strengths:
Adaptability: As a Wild Card, Minato can switch his Persona at will, allowing him to adapt to changing battlefield conditions and fill any role on a team.
Body of Divinity: As a Persona user trained to his highest level, Minato holds the potential to injure even a god of humanity's own creation through his own personal actions, and to survive attacks from one in return. This physical ability extends beyond what a normal human would be capable of, though falls short of what many other protagonists have demonstrated.
Read: The tarot cards, used to represent Persona, are inherently linked to the personality traits shown by humans. At a glance, Minato can see the tarot that best represents a person, thereby giving him an idea of their strengths and flaws, personality wise. It's a useful trick, allowing him to adapt and adjust to social situations and seemingly always know what to say.

Weaknesses:
Achilles Heel: Like the hero, Minato's persona all have flaws of some manner which they pass on to him while active. Anything from elemental to physical weaknesses that change along with him as combat progresses. A particularly savvy enemy can take advantage of this weakness to inflict tremendous damage and temporarily knock Minato out of combat.
Martyr Complex: Minato is, for lack of a better word, obsessed with the fate of his world. His destiny interrupted, he feels compelled to return and set things right, and struggles to take any action not involved with doing so.

BruceTheCat

Looks extremely good Fox. Two notes:

1) You will need to PM me the weakness of the Persona you choose to turn into during the game. That way if I determine the enemy you are fighting is strong enough, they can exploit the weakness.

2) This is not a critique or something you should change. One of your weaknesses is that you are a Martyr. I think it would be really neat to see you play how he deals with the fact that he abandoned his friends, family, and home world to their fate. The exact opposite of what a Martyr would do.
- scribus1000

SmilingFox

Quote from: Red Lobster on August 12, 2014, 12:05:32 AM
One of your weaknesses is that you are a Martyr. I think it would be really neat to see you play how he deals with the fact that he abandoned his friends, family, and home world to their fate. The exact opposite of what a Martyr would do.

That is the big issue behind his current behavior. The decision to run wasn't really his to make during that moment, instead more of the team deciding he was their only hope, and forcing him to flee to fight again later. He hates that they made that decision without his input being considered, and would like nothing more than to rush back to the rescue. It's taken quite a bit to convince him to not go off half-cocked on some hair-brained rescue attempt.

Still, the attitude of 'that whole world is my responsibility' is a large part of who he is and how he'll act.

Juggtacular

Good to see you back, Lobster. I'm definitely down for this. I just need to think of a good character. Sooooo many to choose from.

BruceTheCat

Good to see you again Jugg. Excited to see what you pick.
- scribus1000

zergmuncher

I am definitely interested. Do I just submit a character sheet and wait for approval?

apygoos

i love this premise, and im heavily interested.
Link, Ezio, and Samus are the current interest in my brain off the top of my head
what about heroes from things like League?

Juggtacular

Quote from: apygoos on August 12, 2014, 03:03:34 PM
i love this premise, and im heavily interested.
Link, Ezio, and Samus are the current interest in my brain off the top of my head
what about heroes from things like League?

What if we eventually end up with Altaiir, Ezio, Edward and Connor Kenway. And even Arno? Just the entire descending family of Assassins.

BruceTheCat

That is correct Zero. Go ahead and submit your sheet, and I will read over it for approval. Glad you are interested!

Heroes from things like League or fighting games are definitely fair game as well.

If we ended up with all Assassin's Creed Characters, I would probably feel obligated to play someone like Kratos just for the comedic value. Haha
- scribus1000

cabalxxvi

OH MY GOD!!!

This is totally happening, isn't it? Pinch me, am I dreaming?

I have never thought of an idea like this, and I am extremely interested in this RP for sure. This is insane... Runs off to find a Protagonist.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

cabalxxvi

LOL, someone play Donkey Kong or add in a NPC. That would be classic.

cabalxxvi

I got dibs on Kratos Maybe. Will draw up a sheet within the next day or so... Okay maybe today.

BruceTheCat

One note to everyone! You are not officially "in the game" (get it?) until after you've submitted your character sheet and gotten approval. I'm on quite a lot, so with the exception of sleeping hours feedback and approval should have a pretty quick turn around.
- scribus1000

Diesel Heart

I'm interested. I'll send a character submission soon.

Rel Mayer

Baiken

Current Occupation: Waitress at a small Japanese sake/steak house.

Home World Information: The world where Baiken came from was rather chaotic. With the discovery of 'magic' people began combining it with humans to create 'Gears'.  Eventually, the Gears turned on the human race, beginning a century-long global war known as the Crusades where the Sacred Order of Holy Knights defeated the leader of the Gears. With Justice having been locked away in a dimensional prison, all other Gears seemingly ceased to function, bringing end to an age of conflict. Five years after the war's end, a Gear called Testament planned to free Justice. In response, the United Nations heralded a tournament of fighters capable of defeating the resurgent enemies, Testament and Justice. Before Testament and Justice could be defeated her world fell to the Legion and Testament and Justice escaped and are no where to be found.

Appearance/Style Description: She has pink hair worn in a ponytail, a scar over her left eye (which is missing), a red, black and white kimono with the sleeves tucked in the sides of a black vest, gold and black legging-like socks, clawed grappling hook for her right arm, peach eyes and a sword covered in a blue Sheath. She usually keeps her kimono rather loose, which tends to show off her busty cleavage.

Personality: Baiken is an aggressive, impulsive and anti-social person motivated solely by revenge. She spends most of her time getting drunk off of sake and that's usually when she's able to be decent to be around. She's a fighter at heart and wishes to abandon her gender which makes her attracted to men, women, or anyone.

History: During the Crusades, the nation of Japan was destroyed by the Gears. Following this, those of Japanese descent who still lived were declared cultural treasures and placed in special colonies. When Baiken was a child, the Gears attacked the Japanese Institute she was living in at the time. During the invasion, she witnessed the bloody death of her parents and other people, her right arm was severed and her left eye gouged out. Amidst the flames, she could only see the silhouette of That Man, and swore revenge on him (and presumably the Gears as well) for what they had done. She trained herself in the use of the katana, and dedicated herself to hunting That Man down.

Current Situation: She's still has an eye out searching for The Man, because she still wants her revenge. Baiken is not against working together to save other worlds, because she empathizes with them. She is rather unhappy living in the modern world and is struggling becoming accustomed to the different customs and different people that's she's meeting in the mash-up world.

Weapon: She has a standard samurai sword, but she also has a clamping hook in replacement of her right arm which she usually hides until she needs it to fight.

Special Powers: Tatami Mat- She has an amazing ability to kick the floorboards below her and make them fly toward anyone that she's currently fighting.

Strengths:

Samurai Speed - She's a very fast fighter and precise with her sword. Especially for only being able to fight with one hand and see through one eye.
Determination - When Baiken gets something in her mind to get done, she makes it her main priority. Things get done when she's involved and she's surprisingly a good team player. (Only for things she cares about.)

Weaknesses:

Missing an Eye- She's missing an eye, so she doesn't get the best vision when it comes to fighting people. If they pick her blind spot and stay in it, it can be rather hard for her to gain an advantage.
Addiction to Smoking and Alcohol- If she's not expecting a fight or working, she's usually getting drunk off of sake and smoking her pipe.

BruceTheCat

This looks pretty good to me Rel. My big question would be, what is the current state of her home world? It might just be my unfamiliarity with the Guilty Gear series, but from your description that looks like the premise of the fighting game itself. Has her world not yet been touched by The Legion?
- scribus1000

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Red Lobster on August 12, 2014, 07:40:38 PM
This looks pretty good to me Rel. My big question would be, what is the current state of her home world? It might just be my unfamiliarity with the Guilty Gear series, but from your description that looks like the premise of the fighting game itself. Has her world not yet been touched by The Legion?

I made a little edit, did that help?

BruceTheCat

- scribus1000

Green Goo Theory

Interested!  Will work on character submission.  So many good ones to choose from.  Maybe Dante (NOT Donte. google it) or Snake.  oh!  FEI!  I have not been able to RP him in soooo long.

So...are we just going to exclude mechs/vehicles/etc (like the Normandy for Shepard) if the character has'em?
Coming soon...

BruceTheCat

I think something like The Normandy could be one of your "Powers". A signature ship, for instance Vyse's flying ship in Skies of Arcadia.
- scribus1000

Juggtacular

Like in Smash Bros Brawl, Star Fox calls down his tank. Normandy could do strafing runs, but aside from that it's basically a mobile base?

BruceTheCat

That's correct Jugg. One that we could move in, socialize in, and use to traverse between worlds. Not saying that somebody needs to pick the Normandy! It could also be a pirate ship or some other such vehicle that belongs to a character.

If nobody had grabbed something like that, I was going to give one to our party for use.
- scribus1000