The Liberty Legion [MUL, Superheroes, Up to NC-E, Seeking F]

Started by TheVillain, August 20, 2009, 12:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVillain

My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

ABitOffTheWall

Hope no one objects.  I tried to keep his powers balanced, but every time I read through him I have second thoughts.  I don't think he's over-powered, but if he seems like he is, tell me and I'll revise.  I based him on Neil Gaiman's vision of Loki, though much less sinister and much more misunderstood.  He causes trouble because he's bored, not malicious, and now he's trying to turn himself around.  Let me know what you think.

Biographical Information:
Code Name: Trickster
Other Aliases:  Michael the Magnificent, the Astounding Autumn, Loki
Identity: Autumn is a human magician who moonlights as a super-hero.
Occupation: Member of the Liberty Legion, stage magician, former con-artist
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States of America with suspected in connection with several white-collar cons, though there's no solid evidence connecting him to them.
Place of Birth: Boston, MA
Martial Status: Single at present.
Known Relatives: Daniel Autumn, Chief of the Boston police
Current Base of Operations: New York City   
Extent of Education: No formal education, though is a bit of a Jack-of-all-Trades: He is capable of picking up basic foundation in a given field.  He also has extensive knowledge of cons, both traditional and ones of his own creation.
Religion: He claims to be a member of the Aesir.
Group Affiliation: The Liberty Legion (Modern Age)

Background Information/Origin:
   No one knows boredom like Loki does.  Being the smartest god surrounded by doom-bringers and muscle-heads, he got himself into his fair share of trouble.  It started harmless enough, but eventually, after one particularly nasty prank, he found himself imprisoned under the earth for all eternity by his brothers.  All in the name of entertaining himself.
   However, if his imprisonment gave him anything, it was time to think.  And, being smarter than the Aesir that put him away, he eventually found a way out.  Unfortunately, he found his world a changed place.  The Aesir had all but left, and the people that has paid his kind tribute were a thing of the past.  But Loki was not deterred: he had spent lifetimes buried under tons of rock and earth, snake venom dripping onto his face, burning him uncontrollably.  He was ready to have some fun.
   Today he goes by the alias “Michael Autumn,” and performs as a popular stage magician.  His shows are frequently packed and his act consists of both magic tricks and feats of escapism.  He is as clever and as silver-tongued as ever.
        Or at least, that's what he wants you to think.  In reality, Michael A. Autumn was born in Boston in 1977, and moved to New York when he was nineteen to pursue his dream of becoming a famous magician.  He made hisliving initially pulling elaborate schemes and tricking stupid people out of their money.  However, as a talented magician and escape artist, he achieved fame and a moderate amount of wealth fairly quickly.  Now, in order to make amends for an early life of white-collar crime, he's using his abilities to fight crime around New York City.
        Autumn is playfful and cheery and is always looking for new ways to entertain himself.  He's also a bit of a playboy, but generally regard sex as another way to amuse himself.  As a result, he doesn't limit himself by only seeking out members of the opposite gender.

Known Meta-Human Abilities:
Genius-level intellect: Michael Autumn clever and fast-thinking.  He is very good at solving puzzles and riddles, as well as planning elaborate pranks and strategies.  However, he only really devotes his considerable intellect to things he thinks would entertain him or advance his ability to entertain himself.  As a result he has a smattering of basic knowledge in a variety of fields and can quickly adapt as the situation demands.
Prestidigitation: Autumn was always interested in magic.  As a result, he did a bit of research into real supernatural abilities.  Through practice and patience, Autumn taught himself to perform minor magical tricks.  He can levitate small things like keys and wallets and throw them about, create very minor illusions like lights and sounds, making items smaller than a baseball disappear and reappear, perform minor hypnosis (enough to captivate and persuade an audience, akin to a very persuasive public speaker).  The Prestidigitation extends to some physical abilities as well, like the ability to juggle and throw cards.  But they’re entirely theatrical in nature: the cards are just paper playing cards, and though he may juggle swords, it doesn’t mean he has any idea how to use one.  He can levitate small objects but not throw them.  And though he can capture an audience’s attention, he can’t make them do anything they didn’t want to do already: he can stop a fight between two people fighting against their will, but can’t make someone rob a bank (unless of course they want to, then he just gives them that extra push)
Fire creation/manipulation: Similarly to prestidigitation, Michael devoted much of his time to the study of fire manipulation in order to spice up his act.  After all, if he can do something most stage magicians couldn't, how better to draw a crowd?  As a result, he has learned to create fires up to the size of a fireplace fire and manipulate fires the size of a car-fire.
Fenrisulfr/shapeshifter: Autumn is a talented illusionist, and can change his physical appearance almost at will.  He can make himself look like any humanoid-figure, though the change is entirely cosmetic: he may change his muscle-mass, but he’s still as weak as his original shape.  Shapeshifting serves no purpose in combat, but excellent for disguising himself.  His ultmiate "disguise," however, is a monstrous black wolf he calls Fenrir.  It's the only animal-like shape he can make, and the use of such a strong illusion leaves him exhausted afterward.  He prefers to not take the shape when vulnerable, however, only assuming the form as a magnificent finale to his stage show.

Particularities, Limitations, and Weaknesses:
Despite the few useful abilities Prestidigitation affords, and his terrifying wolf-form, Autumn as he is is incredibly inept in combat.  He can produce and manipulate fire at whim, but he isn't super strong and, though he can survive more damage than even the hardiest human, he's easily incapacitated and even killable if someone cares to try enough.  He can throw fire, but no farther than he could a baseball and needs to be "touching" at least part of it in order to control it, and even them it's a limited sort of control.  He can't turn it into any weapons and can only extend a few feet in front of him.  He’s more of a tactician than a soldier.  His forte lies in social interactions, and planning, but while his plans are usually solid, Autumn,  himself is more unreliable and a bit of a coward, not to mention self-serving.
In keeping with his claim to be Loki, he is also deathly afraid of snakes and snake venom causes him excruciating pain.

Equipment, Weapons and Paraphernalia:
Loki always carries a few small balls for juggling, playing cards, and other such props.

Skills, Talents, Hobbies, and Abilities:
Con-artist: Autumn is wealthy, and it’s not just because of his successful-stage show: he’s very good at parting stupid people from their money.  And he loves parting stupid people from their money.  Though ever since joining the Legion, he's done his best to curb his illegal habits.  So far he's succeeding, but his checkered past isn't much of a secret from the Legion's members.
Theatrics: Autumn knows Prestidigitation’s limits.  As a result, he knows how to captivate an audience without magic.  Loki is a capable and persuasive public speaker and a talented showman.  He has a flare for the dramatic and always seems to know how to push a person’s buttons.
He also likes to keep up on the entertainment world, watching movies and television shows and keeping up on popular music and reading comic books.  After all, everything he does he does to keep from getting bored.

Physical Information:
Ethnic Group: Nordic
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual: He considers sex to be just another form of entertainment, and he doesn't like to limit his options
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 140lbs.
Hair Colour: Red-orange
Eye Colour: Mossy-green

Physical Appearance: Autumn is thin and in shape, though not very muscular.  His red hair is usually slicked back for stage shows, though when not it almost stands on end, and he uses Prestidigitation to make is look as if it were a live, burning fire.  He has a handsome, angular face and intense, thoughtful eyes.  His chin bears a small soul-patch.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Aside from his continuously "burning" hair, Loki has a noticeable burn scars across his eyes that looks like he had acid splashed in his face.  The burns don’t affect his vision at all, though they are incredibly striking.  He claims it's from the snake at the center of the Earth dripping it's venom into his eyes, and prefers to not talk about how it really happened.
Normal Attire: He prefers to wear expensive black suits and tuxedoes during his stage-shows, but usually relaxes in some kind of loose fitting pants and t-shirt or beater.  While pulling a con, he usually wears whatever costume he needs.
Costume Description: While fighting crime, Autumn plays up his magician persona: He wears a colourful top-hat/tuxedo/silk cape with white gloves and a featureless white porcelain mask: though he can change what his face looks like, he prefers not to, and his flair for the dramatic translates into astounding genre savviness: every superhero needs a mask.
Quote(s): "Just wait, the best is yet to come."

Reference for character's appearance (not my art): http://sigel-aka-kai.deviantart.com/art/Loki-30252228
My Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=8432
Game Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=61048.0
I will love you forever if you give me something Mass Effecty

TheVillain

Well, I do like it. The only thing I really have to say is that the deity bit seems a bit tacked on in this case. From the sound of it, with the possible exception of the degree of fire manipulation this could be a remake of Mandrake the Magician instead of the god Loki.

It's not bad, just feels a little unnecessary with the spirit of the character. I could easily see this guy as a mortal arranging events so that if people do try to figure out his identity they find "evidence" that's he's Loki for example.

(That and I got Loki pegged as a villain for one of the big team events. Awkward.)
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

ABitOffTheWall

Eek, that is awkward.  But as far as the deity bit seeming tacked on, it was the magician bit that was an afterthought.  I figured I wanted to play the trickster type, and Loki always had a bad rap as being a bit of an asshole.  I wanted to put a new spin on the character, and figured he had to do something after crawling out of the earth.  As a god who was always had a flair for the dramatic and enjoyed playing tricks, I figured magician was the logical career for him.  The Loki of legend was a shapeshifter and was associated with fire, which I included because most magicians today peerform at least a few tricks involving the sudden appearance or disappearance of fire.  As a trickster god, I gave him Prestidigitation because I figured that as a god, he'd surely be able to perform a few simple parlor tricks.  originally the fire thing was just an aspect of that.  Plus, I love the Fenrir ability.  I'm totally willing to make adjustments to make it not clash with where you want the story to go, I just wanted to make my thought process on the character clear.

All these deities... Cassidy is already outclassed by NORMAL superheroes! :P

TheVillain

Of course, Cassidy wouldn't drop dead if enough people decided that they didn't believe in them anymore.

I sort of see gods as faith-based creatures, they need faith to survive like a human being needs air. So really, they needed us humans way more then we ever needed them. What can I say, I'm a bit of a humanist at heart.

Heh... that concept will be central to a game I'll set up... some day. Probably after I'm dead.

ABitOffTheWall

Alright, you make a good point, and Karma's right: there are a bit many gods in this game.  So I made some edits to the Trickster and now he's just regular old Mike Autumn... with some supernatural abilities.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: TheVillain on August 23, 2009, 03:42:39 PM
Of course, Cassidy wouldn't drop dead if enough people decided that they didn't believe in them anymore.

It's not like anyone can whip a dearth of faith out and wreck you like it was a hunk of glowing rock, though. Meanwhile, every mook has access to Cassidy's true weakness: bullets.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

TheVillain

That and I did say "Limited Immortality" for Pan. As in he does die if someone gives him a good killin', he just doesn't stay dead.

Cold Heritage

Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

GrinningHound

TheVillain

Groovy, I'll try to get the whole she-bang started tomorrow but will be taking characters for a while yet.

zothab

If someone drops out, I've got a wicked Mad Scientist idea. Recovering Mad Scientist, of course.

TheVillain

ABitOffTheWall

A former mad scientist, eh?  Looks like Autumn won't be the only member of the legion who lead a life of crime.

zothab

I need to find a better picture.

Biographical Information:
Code Name: Herr Doctor Decimate
Other Aliases:  Doc Decimate, Professor Wilhem Frings
Identity: Public.
Occupation: Member of the Liberty Legion, former mad scientist/wannabe world conqueror
Legal Status: Citizen of Germany. Convicted of 31 consecutive life sentences. Currently out on limited parole - attached to the Liberty Legion.
Place of Birth: Hannover, Germany
Martial Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Current Base of Operations: (Wherever the Liberty Legion exist)
Extent of Education: Wilhem earned multiple doctorates in the sciences before becoming disillusioned with normal educational institutions. Served as a professor at MIT during a previous parole.
Religion: Aggressive Atheist (Has killed "god" once. It didn't keep)
Group Affiliation: The Liberty Legion

Background Information/Origin:

Much is known about Wolfgang Wilhem Frings's background and history, And well it should be, as the German has written a series of books detailing everything from his childhood, through education, and many of his attempts to conquer cities, countries, dimensions and the world.

Born to a pair former Nazi true believers in East Germany, Wilhem Frings (only his best of friends, and enemies, get the pleasure of calling him Wolfgang) was a mental prodigy from an extremely young age. He joined an anticommunist cell building crude traps and makeshift weapons at the age of 4, and was captured by Communist authorities not long afterwards. The CCCP realised they had a meta-human intelligence on their hand, and immediately put him through both education and brainwashing.

Like so many attempts to rehabilitate Frings, it didn't stick. At age 9 he entered the prestigious Lomonosov Moscow State University, and by aged 11 he had his doctorate - in experimental materials. Two weeks later, and his first attempt to cave himself a piece of the world was foiled. CCCP Supermen evicting the young genius from his artificial laboratory at the peak the Kremlin.

For a couple of decade Frings revolved in and out of State reeducation camps - occasionally working with the authorities - usually not.

Finally, after the collapse of communism, Doc Decimate was released upon the world. Over the next 20 years, the Doctor tried to take over various parts of the world. Each time he was foiled, sometimes by a lack of oversight, sometimes by various super beings.

Most of his time between capture and escapes has been spent writing books. Supposed tell-all, they have elaborated his former plans, and examined why he does anything. During the last two episodes, he came upon the idea that his world conquering mania was a psychological illness - which he coined "Malign Hypercognition Disorder". Together with the then Liberty Legion's head brain - Mr Wow! -, he started devising treatments for himself, both pills and otherwise.

The treatments appears to have been worked, with a year having past since his last breakout. Though, Wilhem himself warns that he's still working on the drugs with Mr Wow!'s help. The drugs had done so much, that the Doctor had been invited out (under heavy guard) to various talk shows and book signings.

His slow rehabilitation seemed to be destined to continue, until the LL - and Mr Wow! - met their untimely end. Offering to take over his collaborator's position, Doc Decimate has walked out of prison via the front door for the first time, to join the Liberty Legion.

Known Meta-Human Abilities:

Malign Hypercognition Disorder: Whether as a side effect of his genius, or the cause, Doc Decimate is brilliantly twisted - seeing weapons and machinations out of the most lowly objects. He is able to see connections (and logic) that normal people can't.

Hypno Eyes:Early on, after fighting supers and failing, Doc Decimate realised he needed an edge if he was to survive against paranormal people. One of his first attempts was to replace his eyes with those of a mythical creature - the Medusa. Anyone who looks into his exposed eyes just stops in a trance, until he looks away. For that reason, he is very rarely seen without a pair of polarised John Lennon style sunglasses.

Nanites: The only of mutation that stuck, was when he replaced his immune system with nanites. The nanites keep him healthy and free of disease, while eventually repairing all damage down to him - as long as one nanite remains, the Doctor will be rebuilt. Unfortunately, when he introduced the nanites, he had a paunch and a bushy handlebar moustache - which he now can't get rid of.

Particularities, Limitations, and Weaknesses:

Human: Brilliant he may be. Nearly eternal also (unless someone works out how to stop the nanites). But the Doctor is still a who looks in his early 40s. He's not fast, particularly coordinated, or that strong. And he sweats overmuch.

Crazy: If he doesn't take a collection of custom made pills every day, he starts slipping back into his old MHD ways. Unfortunately, if he isn't crazy, he also isn't as brilliant as he could be. Prozac dulls the brain and the hurt.

Flatter: All any evil genius wants is to be recognised for what he is - the greatest being alive in the known universe - and Wilhem Frings is no different. He also tends to monologue.

Equipment, Weapons and Paraphernalia:

Decibots: Doc Decimate always kept ten fighting robots around to protect him, building them anew when they were destroyed. They're tough, can fly, and fire whatever type of weaponry the Doctor decided to implement at the time. They're also crazy, unreliable and have a tendency to fight amongst themselves. At time of release, the Doctor hasn't rebuilt them.

The goggles: A fashion conscious mad scientist, Wilhem has compressed his personal super computer into a pair of darkened John Lennon sunglasses. They're his information hub, and through them he gets rather excessive amounts of information from the internet. And porn. And pop-up ads.

Built Weaponry: If you can imagine it, he can probably build it. Usually he has at least one super weapon on him at any given time, though what it does - exactly - isn't a given. Often even he forgets why he built a ray to dissolve clothes, but it was probably important at the time.

Skills, Talents, Hobbies, and Abilities:
Glib: There's a reason Doc Decimate sells books like Stephen King and is constantly on TV, the internet and radio in interviews and unauthorised documentaries. He's charming. He shouldn't be, but he is.

Mad Scientist: Whatever you're thinking up. He's probably thought it about before, tried it for a bit, got bored and discarded it.

Filthy Rich: When you sell 100 million copies, and never bother to spend any of the money - except occasionally on doomsday weapons - you get wealthy. Unfortunately most of it is squirreled away in Swiss banks, and the codes, well they're tough to remember.

Physical Information:
Ethnic Group: Caucasian
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual - some of his parents early indoctrinating stuck.
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 65kg
Hair Colour: White. Stupid experiments.
Eye Colour: Swirly.

Physical Appearance: Unruly white hair (originally styled that way, to mimic Einstein, now maintained by the stupid nanites). Hook nose. A thick bushy moustache. Slightly overlarge ears. A pitter patter of chemical scarring. Wilhem is not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. He likes to think of it as striking. Sadly, his stooped shoulders and slight belly undermine that somewhat.
Distinguishing Characteristics: He is a distinguishing characteristic. His voice has a odd mixed accent. Sometimes German, sometimes Russian. Oddly enough, no-one can remember what his eyes look like. His body is covered in old scars from torture and mistakes.
Normal Attire: A white labcoat that hasn't been washed recently. John Lennon Glasses. Various technological knick knacks hanging from a best about his waist.
Costume Description: Costume? He is Doctor Decimate!
Quote(s): "MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha. Hi. Hooo."

TheVillain

Bayushi

Quote from: TheVillain on August 25, 2009, 05:15:27 PMI like, but he'll have to stay on a leash, lol.

Indeed.

The picture made the character. I'm still chuckling, now, thinking about RP involving that character. The picture will come to mind with that crazy look with the crazy hair, etc.

TheVillain

Right, so far so good for everyone- and if you've posted here, you may post here.

Phaia

TheVillain

Phaia

will try and get her posted in here first

but was thinking a witchblade take off

Phaia