Zimbabwean Election

Started by Scribbles, July 31, 2013, 07:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbles

So, I doubt that there will be much interest in this but I thought I'd risk it anyway...

Link to Article on Zimbabwean Elections

QuoteZimbabweans have flocked to polling stations in the southern African country's presidential election...

Thousands of voters braved the early morning chill across country to queue hours before poll booths opened, just after 7am local time (05:00 GMT) on Wednesday.

Personally, I feel that the results (depending on what they might be) could have quite an impact on the African continent...

To summarize the situation:
President Robert Mugabe is a man that has taken a very hard-line to the redistribution of land from one skin colour to another. Through some fairly draconian methods he has managed to partially accomplish this goal but effectively crashed Zimbabwe's economy in the process. Despite this initial sting, the country has seen a large leap in growth over the last three years, giving many hope that the economy is finally stabilizing. His main opponent, Morgan Tsvangirai, is the leader of the MDC, a party which is trying to quell government's power and halt the redistribution of land.

I don't really like to summarize since this is a fairly complex affair but that's about the gist of it.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Retribution

While not overly familiar with the situation after reading your link as well as your summary I would say my impression is of yet another rigged election used to prop up a dictator. From your comments apparently one who thinks it is perfectly fine to take one person's personal property and redistribute it to another. I have an acquaintance who experienced something similar when the Communists took over Romania and his family argued about having their farm taken. He wound up in the equivalent of a Gulag. Also as we have seen in Russia recently one can essentially have themselves named dictator for life while still having "elections."

As we have also seen in Russia though too much freedom, too suddenly, can lead to tremendous instability. There is a lot of suffering that goes along with such instability. Though it pains me to say it I wonder if in developing countries a bit more tight fisted control is not warranted. With the understanding that there is a gradual loosening of that control as the nation gets more stable. Because the conditions differ in each local as well as the political and social dynamic.

Scribbles

Quote from: Retribution on July 31, 2013, 08:50:00 AMThough it pains me to say it I wonder if in developing countries a bit more tight fisted control is not warranted. With the understanding that there is a gradual loosening of that control as the nation gets more stable. Because the conditions differ in each local as well as the political and social dynamic.

I feel it's more a question of leadership than control. While a good leader might be in a better position to ensure stability with more control, a bad leader would probably destabilize a country more rapidly if given too much power. Unfortunately, it's rare that the "good" leaders are able to situate themselves to effect change, especially in developing countries.
AA and OO

Cyrano Johnson

I hope Mugabe has the sense to finally step aside. I can remember when that guy was legitimately regarded as a hero, before he descended into the corruption and quite possible clinical insanity that's now all the world is likely to recall about him. It's tragic what he's deteriorated into, and what he's done to his country.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Scribbles

Cyrano Johnson,

The hero-to-zero theme seems to be a recurring one when it comes to the rebel-to-leader scenario.

Either way, it seems as if Mugabe is set for a landslide victory which basically means the end of the power-sharing government. The power-sharing government was created after the last elections, a near fifty-fifty for each party. Morgan served as Prime Minister while Mugabe served as president. This dramatic change in votes will also give Mugabe the power to change the newly forged constitution which had only just created a term limit for future presidents.
AA and OO