Champions of Justice

Started by Bishrook aka Fate sisters, August 02, 2005, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishrook aka Fate sisters

This is a super hero game with both Fantasy and a bit of science fiction elements added to it.
In many ways it’s very much like our world. Most of the day to day technology is the same just slightly improved. People drive cars; use cell phones and computers and shop and trade.
Most people work 40 hours for a living, commute to jobs and live suburbs.
But is different in a number of big ways form our own.
Magic and superpowers exist for one thing.. Exotic alien races both magical and other wise exist.
Starting about 1938 more and more of these powerful being began to appear. By the 1960’s and 1970s’ it had become a torrent of super type. Most of these were mutants but among them were aliens, non humans, Cyborge and magicians.
At first there was widespread resentment against the super people but the realization began to dawn by the 1990s that there was no going. Super humans were here to stay.

Gradually the superhuman community divided into two antagonistic groups. One recognizably Heroes became the Champions of Justice responsible for the preservation of order under law. Slowly his organization came to incorporate most of the higher levels of the criminal justice system.

The second group called it self the league of Merit. They have declared them selves the ‘true master race’ and claim the right to expropriate for themselves the resources of the planet. The quite frankly intend to take over the functions of the state and grind society under their heels.

Motto of the champions: It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak
Motto of the League.: It is the right of the string to rule the weak.

Now the long struggle goes on in every city. Both sides are recruit super humans and other beings of power into their organizations.
The conflict is escalating. In the foreseeable future the world may descend into total war.

The Champions of justice have the Headquarters in a orbital fort in geosynchronous orbit. The station stays above New York City all the time.
Here the effort of the champions is directed. The first rank of superheroes meets on regular basis and makes decisions. From it Heroes can teleported to a series of stations in major cities to re enforce the local heroes.
Though expensive the teleportation devise allows the shifting of Personal easily from place to place

The league of merit has a secret base under the rock and ice of Antarctica. It also have teleportation devises. Indeed the technology of both sides is equal
Will you come and join us in telling the tale of this struggle?

Freeform, original characters only (no DC or Marvel), aimed at co-authoring rahter than 'gaming.

Steph
Weaver of threads
 Clotho who spins,Lachesis who weaves Atopos who cuts
We are the fate sisters, the Moerae, who apportion your destiny.
ons and offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7310.0

Natalie C. Barney

I'll like to play a good-girl but will be different I was thinking a non-violent philosophical mystic that will try to bring peace to all mutant kind through enlightened means. Would have impressive powers but will not hurt any sentient being- period. How about for a name- the White Maiden?
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Darwishi

That was actually my first question, what's the power level of these mutants?  All the way up to Juggernaut standards? Or something different?  Naturally I would play a superheroine that's physically strong and has flight capabilities though still manages to get herself into trouble a lot...

There woll be several classes but all playwers will get at least two characters in the first class.
One hero and one villian.
Each hero or team of heros will have a counterbalance group of villians.
the first class (stars) is top of the Superman and hulk level.
The second class is roughly about half as powerful.
The third class Sidekicks and Henchmen are about 1/3 that level
Npc characters will make up Srorm troopers, Red shirts, extras and dependents.
A Star is rough 100 tinmes as powerful as an ordinary untrrained un eguoped human.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on August 02, 2005, 01:22:17 PM
I'll like to play a good-girl but will be different I was thinking a non-violent philosophical mystic that will try to bring peace to all mutant kind through enlightened means. Would have impressive powers but will not hurt any sentient being- period. How about for a name- the White Maiden?
An intesting concept. How would she inter act with others? Negoacation? (we do it anyway) Good works? Politics among the champion community?
(Note there are no nuetrels here. This a back and white situatuon. Tou either league, champion or captive. Both side take the attitude if you are not for us...you are against us.)
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Darwishi

So you have your 100+ ton group, the 50 ton group, and the 33 ton and less group?  Just wanting to be clear.

Vandren

Quote from: bishrook aka fate sisters on August 02, 2005, 06:50:26 PM
There woll be several classes but all playwers will get at least two characters in the first class.

Each hero or team of heros will have a counterbalance group of villians.
the first class (stars) is top of the Superman and hulk level.
The second class is roughly about half as powerful.
The third class Sidekicks and Henchmen are about 1/3 that level

Presumably, if someone only wanted to max out at the second class, they could, right?  Or play fewer than 2 characters?  Just checking.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Another quick question . . . how broad are views within the two groups?  For instance, would a Punisher-type character (no qualms with shooting criminals) fit into the Champions or a benevolent dictator-type (rule Humanity to save it from itself) fit into the League?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Quote from: Darwishi on August 02, 2005, 07:17:44 PM
So you have your 100+ ton group, the 50 ton group, and the 33 ton and less group?  Just wanting to be clear.
exactly
This is free form of course so those  are mostly to illistrate the ranges.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Quote from: Vandren on August 02, 2005, 08:43:01 PM
Presumably, if someone only wanted to max out at the second class, they could, right?  Or play fewer than 2 characters?  Just checking.  :)
That would workif you  prefer. We are looking at having each player try to  have an even amount on both sides.
So Star champion <--> Star League
or variations there of.
but if you can manage  characters and do good  role playing with each of your characters then we don't care how many characters you have.
Our standard here is try to realte all of your characters to as wide a number of other players characters as possible.
(don't create you own side kick)
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Quote from: Vandren on August 02, 2005, 11:06:28 PM
Another quick question . . . how broad are views within the two groups?  For instance, would a Punisher-type character (no qualms with shooting criminals) fit into the Champions or a benevolent dictator-type (rule Humanity to save it from itself) fit into the League?

Both of those could work as long as they were loyal to one side
.The standards the groups use are expressed by their motto’s.
The groups probably have standards of some sort so a rogue character or political extremist might not be very popular and be considered a disciplines problem.
This war situation so each side wants to win. Loyalty is the highest virtue and odds are about even.  A Defector to the other side is a loss and gain for the enemy.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Power levels revised
after consulting with several of 'co founders I revised the answers to power levels. The main concern is avoid statistics.
So
Star, sidekick and so forth are story functions.

All Supers are equal in their power, attack and defense levels. All supers are strong, fast and dexterous Strength levels are very high. The player may assume that picking and stopping large objects is within the capacity of their character
They can hurt each other,
Human can’t touch them.

How this is done is up the player.

To repeat on # of characters
we hope that everyone will two-one from each side but don't insist on it. If you can manage  characters and do good  role playing with each of your characters then we don't care how manyyou have.
Our standard here is that you should have yourr characters relate to as wide a number of other players characters as possible.
(don't create you own side kick or team consisting entirely of you own characters.)

Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Natalie C. Barney

Only problem I have is the characters are TOO POWERFUL, I like mutants and such at least having to be concerned about humanity. Hello BILLIONS of normal humans with nukes, scientists (and ample funding) and clearly if they wanted to be a problem they should. Even Superman could be beaten by Lex Luther and Batman was a capable hero but still a man. Your just leaving a-lot of characters out. IRON MAN sorts in power suits, NIGHTWING sorts with training and gadgets and many other types of heroes. And what about those they are part of human governments I would like maybe an NSA agent that officially serves the people of the United States over the larger superpowered network. I would officially not work for any side but my government and that should carry weight, if humanity are all helpless pets whats the point. Sorry I like the game idea and the BLACK & WHITE morality but the mutants and such have to balanced with the average human- they should not feel safe like they are if the human governments of power decided to fight back, it should be a dangerous thing to have to deal with humans. Good heros would have to push PR and such. The evil ones if their base is found out might have nukes heading for it if provoked.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Vandren

I actually find myself agreeing on power levels, for those reasons and others.  See PM.  :)

Darwishi

Actually I'd agree with Nat, heh hence why my game, Eden City is actually a fairly low powered game. ^^  But I think this game relates well to Justice League, you have a few (Green Arrow, Batman) that really rely on skills for their hero stuff, but others like Wonder Woman, and Superman rely on their strength.  And if you notice, usually the super strong ones have a sort of  naivity to them while the weaker ones have a super strong mind. 

So basically I think that maybe the hero's and sidekicks shouldn't be judged by how physically powerful they are (Batman and Superman are equals) but by how the character is built.  If that makes sense. 

Quote from: Darwishi on August 03, 2005, 01:31:25 PM
Actually I'd agree with Nat, heh hence why my game, Eden City is actually a fairly low powered game. ^^  But I think this game relates well to Justice League, you have a few (Green Arrow, Batman) that really rely on skills for their hero stuff, but others like Wonder Woman, and Superman rely on their strength.  And if you notice, usually the super strong ones have a sort of  naivity to them while the weaker ones have a super strong mind. 

So basically I think that maybe the hero's and sidekicks shouldn't be judged by how physically powerful they are (Batman and Superman are equals) but by how the character is built.  If that makes sense. 
I agree. I will leave to the player to explain why the character is powerful, Superpowers? Rechnology? Magic? srtealth and cleverness
all are open.
It has been suggested that powers be rrated and player allowed to select low, moderate and high level powers using either a pointsytem or a set number of each.
I need time to think about that and since the board is still not up I don't see any hurry.Especially sinbce I have co-GM I need to consult.
But I am deliberatly excluding the entire anti super political element from this game. IMHO it is a tired worn out theme and marvel has already done all the good stories in the motif.
Humans are pawn,
The supers counter each other.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

WQe are still open for characters!
We need villians (league mebers) to plot and plan!
Champions are welcome as well!
We are just starting a new set of adventures and I do provide summaries (short ones) so new players can start out in the know.
I am los dedicated to getting everyone involved so people don't get ignored.
I SO hate that when it happens to me!
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs