How to tell if you're getting the most out of your internet speed?

Started by Mymar, June 02, 2016, 09:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

I've noticed that my internet speed has been cut in half lately for some reason, and I'm wondering if there's some sort of program out there that can both test the speed, and tell if things are slowing it down?

Arkaniel

You should check your internet usage on your provider site. Some providers cut your internet speed in half if you go over the monthly data limit.

AmberStarfire

In Australia, some ISPs reduce internet speed down to dial-up levels if you go over your monthly limit. I've had this happen before when visiting family.  :-(

Akamai and Windows could also be using up your internet bandwidth.

Some links:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

I also removed Akamai from Add/Remove programs, but that was years ago and I don't know if anything's technologically changed. It's a useful network but it uses people's bandwidth.

Mymar

I discovered the problem, but thank you for the suggestions, what it turned out to be in case anyone else has this as well, I read online elsewhere that sometimes wifi degrades over time, and to fix it, just turn of your internet at the router/modem whatever and turn it back on. It is back to normal speeds now.