My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Started by Kunoichi, April 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

I saw it today. Zecora should be in more episodes. Also with the addition of Saddle Arabia, I'm starting to think this might actually be a real royal decree. http://horsepower.emeraldcoastcomics.net/4

Arohk

I'm a little late to the game on talking about the Trixie episode, but did anyone else find it suspicious that the Alicorn Amulet had the same color scheme as King Sombra? I know he's a Unicorn and I might be reading too much into this but... Seems like it could be connected. I have a few theories for it.

Other than that, I must say that Scootaloo is adorable. XD

Kunoichi

Personally, I'm more interested in the fact that Princess Luna can enter into people's dreams when they're asleep.  So many interesting possibilities...

Arohk

I thought that was a very cool addition as well. And it makes a lot of sense as well. I liked that we got a look into some of her duties. Good to know she isn't sitting bored somewhere. X3

ulthakptah

Anyone watch the latest episode? However did they come up with that ingeniously woven intricate plot line?

Koyume

Quote from: ulthakptah on December 30, 2012, 07:17:41 PM
Anyone watch the latest episode? However did they come up with that ingeniously woven intricate plot line?

Eeyup. I thought the
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"timber wolves" were pretty awesome, and I liked how they turned into a big 'dire' timber wolf at the end.

Kunoichi

The episode was all about Spike, right? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Koyume on December 30, 2012, 07:35:42 PM
Eeyup. I thought the
"timber wolves" were pretty awesome, and I liked how they turned into a big 'dire' timber wolf at the end.
Actually I was being sarcastic, much like the pony who I paraphrased.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IOweYouMyLife Particularly the last part that says "A standard plotline for single episodes would look like this: 1. Character A saves the life of character B. 2. While character A does not expect any huge return, character B insists that their strict moral code dictates that they return the favor by becomin A's servant and fulfill their every wish. 3. Character B's well intended but incompetent "help" soon becomes bothersome for character A, but they are unable to make it stop. 4. Character A and friends decide to stage a scene where B will be able to (seemingly) save A's life, thus returning the debt. 5. For arbitrary reasons the faux danger becomes truly life threatening, and B is able to save A's life for real. "
I mean come on, that is to the letter what happened.
Quote from: Kunoichi on December 30, 2012, 07:38:15 PM
The episode was all about Spike, right? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Actually I would say Applejack is the main character in this episode.

Koyume

Quote from: ulthakptah on December 30, 2012, 08:50:52 PM
Actually I was being sarcastic, much like the pony who I paraphrased.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IOweYouMyLife Particularly the last part that says "A standard plotline for single episodes would look like this: 1. Character A saves the life of character B. 2. While character A does not expect any huge return, character B insists that their strict moral code dictates that they return the favor by becomin A's servant and fulfill their every wish. 3. Character B's well intended but incompetent "help" soon becomes bothersome for character A, but they are unable to make it stop. 4. Character A and friends decide to stage a scene where B will be able to (seemingly) save A's life, thus returning the debt. 5. For arbitrary reasons the faux danger becomes truly life threatening, and B is able to save A's life for real. "
I mean come on, that is to the letter what happened.Actually I would say Applejack is the main character in this episode.

Ah, I was assuming you were just referencing her. I'd say Spike and Applejack were the central characters in this one.

Arohk

It wasn't bad. You can see most the plot points coming from a mile away in any given episode in my opinion. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable though. I thought this one was pretty funny. X3 I wants more Spike/Rarity though. Heehee.

Sabby

Wolfy

My Little Pony Meets Metal

Did I post this already?

Oh well..it's awesome enough for two posts.

Arohk

You did post it earlier, yeah. Oh well. XP

Wolfy

Sabby

Wolfy

Kunoichi

So...  Guess who's back for Episode 10 of Season 3?

Wolfy

ulthakptah

Quote from: Wolfy on January 20, 2013, 08:21:25 AM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eee8/

For you Ponies out there.
You already posted a link to that, like two posts back.

Anyway, anyone see the new episode yet?

Arohk

I have. I just didn't want to bring it up until someone else did because I didn't like it. I thought it was rushed, felt very out of character, and just overall out of place. I have liked every episode, so don't think me negative. But I just didn't like this one. I'm being vague on purpose but I'll discuss if someone cares to discuss. XP

Kunoichi

I thought it was pretty nice, myself, though I'll agree on the part about it feeling rushed.  This one could have benefited from having a little more time.

ReijiTabibito

Not only that, but I sort-of questioned the whole trap at the end and the resulting promise...how is that supposed to work, exactly?

Kunoichi

What, you mean the part with Fluttershy promising not to use her Element on Discord, or...?

ReijiTabibito

No, that made sense.  The Elemental Harmonic Rainbow, I felt, is the brute force approach.  Out of all the Mane Six, I felt that Fluttershy, being Kindness, would be the most reluctant to use it.  I felt that Fluttershy's trap of withholding her friendship from Discord was weak in approach.

The trap is that Discord loses Fluttershy's friendship if he doesn't do what she asks of him, using his powers for good purposes.  Much hay was made about how FShy was Discord's only friend, as if it justified his change in behavior.

Except, IMO, that completely ignores the character.  He's Discord, elemental spirit of chaos and unharmony.  He's an absurdly powerful eldritch entity that can do whatever the hell he wants.  You're telling me that one pony's friendship for, what, maybe a week is enough to dissuade him from doing what he's done for as long as he's been able to do it?  Discord can't be anything other than what he is - a sower of chaos and breaker of unity.  For him to change, truly change, than that would mean he wouldn't be Discord anymore, he'd be something else.

Plus, he lies.  All the time.  What's to say that he's not going to turn back on his promise the next chance he gets, or simply cover up his misdoings so that no one finds out.

Yes, all the other ponies are still wary of him, but the implication is that with time, they'll see him the same way Fluttershy does.

And then he'll renege and go back to doing what he did before.

Ultimately, what I have to say boils down to one thing.

Discord cannot change - he is incapable of it.  He's like the scorpion in the fable Scorpion and the Frog.

A much better resolution, I would have felt, would have involved using the EHR to seal Discord back up, him having learned about friendship, but fully cognizant of his own nature and that such things are wholly alien to him, and because he values Fluttershy's extension of friendship to him, he has them put him away again.