News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Playing a deceased real person in RP?

Started by jouzinka, December 16, 2013, 05:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jouzinka

Just wanted to ask if there's a definite local ethos regarding playing real persons as characters in RPs. Is there a difference to it if said person has been deceased for one year or for one hundred years?

We're talking public-figures and semi-public figures...
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

My first inclination is to trust members' own judgment until someone proves otherwise.

eiselmann

Agreed , I think trust your own judgement , from my personal view I would be wary of roleplaying a person who died in the last 12 months , that's as much out of respect , as to avoid the potential for any raw emotion to surface.

For example would I roleplay as Paul Walker any time in the next year  :'(    not a chance
Would I take issue if someone roleplayed as Princess Diana ...personally , no problem at all.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

The Dark Raven

Quote from: eiselmann on December 25, 2013, 09:42:33 PM
Agreed , I think trust your own judgement , from my personal view I would be wary of roleplaying a person who died in the last 12 months , that's as much out of respect , as to avoid the potential for any raw emotion to surface.

For example would I roleplay as Paul Walker any time in the next year  :'(    not a chance
Would I take issue if someone roleplayed as Princess Diana ...personally , no problem at all.

And on that I differ.  I would not play Paul Walker out of respect, but I might play one of his characters out of tribute.

I would never in a million years think to play Princess Diana...even now it is too heart-crushing for me to think on.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Bloodied Porcelain

I think this is a case-by-case thing. If both players are comfortable with it (or all players in a group game) and you're not risking offending the people involved in the game, then go for it. If one or both are uncomfortable, steer clear. There are people who have died within the last month or two that wouldn't bug me if they were made characters, but there are people who died years ago that I still wouldn't be able to be comfortable playing across from (or playing myself) in a game.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

The Dark Raven

(And that is what I was going for!  :) )

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

eiselmann

Each to there own, I guess that's the individual judgement thing...in the end if you re comfortable portraying or writing opposite  non historic but deceased real person then all is good.

I understand the Diana thing and won't argue against it ( I could) so in that respect if a co writer objected , I would re visit writing for her. As for Paul Walker  :'( , again I understand where you are coming from , he left a body of work that will provide enjoyment for so many for many years to come and while , like you I wouldn't wish to write for him so soon after his passing, so many people associate Paul with Brian that portraying his characters (particularly that one) would be difficult for me .....

I guess ultimately the judgement as has been said ..is yours as the writer
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

jouzinka

Thank you for your input, everyone. :)

I think I was more looking for that discussion than a definite yes or no.

In this case it's a person who died a little over two years ago and I am a little wary it might stir things as that person did have many passionate followers, although personally I wouldn't have a problem doing so - the person is an incredibly interesting character from a writer's point of view. There was also a biographical movie made about this person; still, I think the combination of prodding someone's life and the general level of smuttiness we tend to write here might offend.

I'm considering PMs as that would definitely solve my dilemma, but wanted other opinions. :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Naiah

Well I would say it was up to you and your partner. I mean if others find it too hard to bear, they do have the choice to just not read the thread.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: eiselmann on December 25, 2013, 11:19:57 PM
Each to there own, I guess that's the individual judgement thing...in the end if you re comfortable portraying or writing opposite  non historic but deceased real person then all is good.

I understand the Diana thing and won't argue against it ( I could) so in that respect if a co writer objected , I would re visit writing for her. As for Paul Walker  :'( , again I understand where you are coming from , he left a body of work that will provide enjoyment for so many for many years to come and while , like you I wouldn't wish to write for him so soon after his passing, so many people associate Paul with Brian that portraying his characters (particularly that one) would be difficult for me .....

I guess ultimately the judgement as has been said ..is yours as the writer

I know him from timeline, and would love to play in that story, but I have a double-whammy there. Paul and Crichton.