Looking for an rpg without backstory.

Started by pcnovaes, April 27, 2016, 10:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcnovaes

I'd like to find other gm/players who'd like to run a game without two paragraphs of back story for each character. one where the interactions and development are more important than his past before becoming an adventurer.

Blinkin

Any particular reason why you don't like for players to have a backstory?

Personally, I consider that part of the process of character creation vital to determine just who my character is and is usually where I start at.

If you just don't want to know about the backstory, that's a different animal, but if you just don't want there to be any background at all... *shrugs* I suspect people will still do it, just not show it to you. I've found that GM's like to know something more than mechanics about the characters and sometimes use the backstories to shape the game to fit the characters.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

pcnovaes

It's not like I don't like backstory, but every game I tried to play in this board so far I had to write two paragraphs of story, with irrelevant and pointless details.
I prefer something simple like "He was a boy born in a small village, which was destroyed in a monster attack, and he swore to become stronger to protect his people."
I also think character development(that is, what will happen AFTER the game begins) is more important than what happened BEFORE.
So even if you make a character without backstory at all, it can still be an interesting character depending on the way it interacts with that world.

In case someone else misunderstood me, what I want is not gm/player that abhors backstory, but one who doesn't require two paragraphs of it.