The Three of Cups - Tarot Discussions

Started by Dys Astyr, May 25, 2017, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dys Astyr

This thread is for discussing tarot, pretty much however you feel like. Talk about different decks, different cards, problems you've had as a reader, milestones you've reached as a reader (or collector). Really, I just wanted a place to talk tarot since I've seen a few other readers on the boards. ;D

I've got two things to get us started. First, I'm currently using the Vertigo Tarot and was wondering if anyone else had used it? How did you like it?

Second, do you use tarot in your writing? I used to use tarot as a writing tool, but fell out of the habit. I recently used it to help with a story post I was stuck on and it made me remember how much fun it was.

Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Oniya

I do use Tarot myself - not typically as a writing tool, but I can see that being done.  I'm partial to the artwork of the Thoth deck, myself, although we do have a few different decks around the house.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dys Astyr

I don't own a Thoth deck, yet. I plan to get one eventually. After seeing some videos of people comparing different versions of the same card on YouTube I've justified my desire to collect all the decks by having it be for study purposes. I know there are some fundamental differences between the Thoth and the RWS style decks, and I'm not really sure how I feel about those... Card VIII in the Thoth deck is Lust instead of Strength right? I think that my give me an twitch of anger every time I saw it. ;D But I guess I won't know until I get the deck.

Mathim

I kind of wanted to learn a bit about them so I could model a video game character's abilities around them but never got around to researching it. Still a fascinating idea.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

That is correct - although it's XI.  Many pre-RWS decks have Justice and Strength swapped as well.

Crowley does get a lot of heat for being the 'dirty old man' of occultism (Pretty well-deserved, I have to say.  I mean, look at his Devil card sometime.  There's some serious adolescent thought processes going on there.)  The deck behaves for me pretty well, though.  There was one time when I was in a VtM live-action game (playing one of the Romani), and I did a couple of readings in-character.  The Storytellers were quite impressed with how well the deck fit in with things they'd already planned behind the scenes.  ^^

Mathim - you might want to take a read through Piers Anthony's 'Tarot' series.  You'll get a bit of background history, and some basics about the card meanings in a fairly neat package.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Dys Astyr

That's something else I probably wouldn't like. I rather enjoy the sequence of XI - XVII, I think it flows really well.

That's cool that you got to use the cards in the game! I never thought about using them like that. I bet it could be really fun though, to have a character reading cards and actually do a reading, then work that into the plot. When I have used them for writing I just draw three cards and use that to inspire what is happening. Sometimes it's the meanings and sometimes it's just the imagery. I think though, that the idea of having the reading in the story would be way more awesome.

I actually used to have a really bad love/hate relationship with tarot up until about a year ago. I wanted to read the cards, but I just couldn't get it. I'd get a deck, fight with it for a few weeks, sometimes even a few months, before finally giving up in disgust.

I just started with the Vertigo about a month ago and so far it's going well. It's really tempting to think that if I would have tried to work with this deck when I bought it (the card stock is really thin and I was afraid to damage it) that I could have gotten started a long time ago. Hindsight is deceptive though, objectively I don't think I would have had a good experience with it if I had used it right away.

Oniya

See, I'd taken you a bit more literally - I was thinking of something like posing the question of 'what happens to [character?]', and doing a simple three card spread, whether it's past-present-future, or one of the other 'quick read' layouts.  I also think that different decks 'speak' to the reader in different ways.  A deck that works for you will 'make sense' where a deck that doesn't will be hard to grasp.

Dys Astyr

XD I'm really bad about launching into things without explaining them all the way. I should work on that.

Right now I only have two decks I get a long with. I occasionally will pull out another deck and see if I've gotten enough XP points to make it work but end up having to pull the same cards out of my go-to deck for it to make sense.

Part of me feels like the Three of Swords should be the Three of Swords should be the Three of Swords, no matter what. At the same time another part of me thinks that the different decks can really change what each card is saying, even if the imagery is only slightly different.

Oniya

The Three of Swords might not be the best example - as almost every deck I've seen shows a standard 'three swords piercing a heart' motif (although sometimes the heart is less stylized, and a few showed a figure with three swords through its chest).  The Hudes Tarot http://www.janetboyer.com/Hudes_Tarot.html has an interesting take on the Death card, however, including a butterfly to represent the transformation aspect that the card typically embodies.  (Fun fact, the Greek words for 'soul' and 'butterfly' are the same - psyche.) 

stormwyrm

I have a Thoth deck, and while the Major Arcana are interesting to look at, the the Minor Arcana, well, to put it mildly, make my eyes bleed. As such I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortable using the Thoth deck for anything. I’ll stick to the Rider-Waite-Smith deck unless I can find a nicer one. I mostly use it just as a writing aid myself, sort of the way Philip K. Dick was said to have used the I Ching while writing The Man in the High Castle.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Oniya on May 25, 2017, 09:24:53 PM
The Three of Swords might not be the best example - as almost every deck I've seen shows a standard 'three swords piercing a heart' motif (although sometimes the heart is less stylized, and a few showed a figure with three swords through its chest).  The Hudes Tarot http://www.janetboyer.com/Hudes_Tarot.html has an interesting take on the Death card, however, including a butterfly to represent the transformation aspect that the card typically embodies.  (Fun fact, the Greek words for 'soul' and 'butterfly' are the same - psyche.)

I suppose that's true. XD My other favorite deck's version is near identical to the RWS, except for an eye in the middle of the heart. I think that small change really makes a big difference in the feel of the card though.

I think the most interesting Death card I've seen is in the Day of the Dead tarot, where all the people are skeletons. Except for death, which is a pregnant woman. (Definitely the version of the card that horrifies me the most. :P)

Quote from: stormwyrm on May 26, 2017, 12:31:45 AM
I have a Thoth deck, and while the Major Arcana are interesting to look at, the the Minor Arcana, well, to put it mildly, make my eyes bleed. As such I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortable using the Thoth deck for anything. I’ll stick to the Rider-Waite-Smith deck unless I can find a nicer one. I mostly use it just as a writing aid myself, sort of the way Philip K. Dick was said to have used the I Ching while writing The Man in the High Castle.

Are the pips not illustrated? I've wondered how it would be to read with a deck that was half un-illustrated cards.

Oniya

https://78nightsoftarot.com/blog/the-minor-arcana-thoth-tarot/

They are illustrated, but the art style is definitely something that won't appeal to everyone.  I don't mean this in a wholly negative way - some people like Picasso, some people like Degas, some people like Rembrandt.  Lots of bright colors (Wands especially, but Swords has a pervasive green that's a bit on the 'neon' scale.)  I'm rather partial to the Pentacles suit, though, especially the court cards.

Dys Astyr

Wow, you could definitely space out staring into some of those. XD

Tarot decks are even harder than just art, because there are 78 different pictures to like. Most of the decks I own I only really like a handful of the pictures and can't really stand a large chunk. They always put the coolest ones on the box, it's almost false advertisement.

Oniya

Quote from: Dys Astyr on May 26, 2017, 01:06:55 PM
Wow, you could definitely space out staring into some of those. XD

I find this to be an advantage sometimes.  XD

Dys Astyr

There is actually a deck I want to get specifically for that. The Wyzard of Odd deck, which I believe may actually use the Thoth system rather than RWS. Maybe Thoth is the way to go when you want to zone out on tarot?

Oniya

That's definitely an interesting deck.  I do like the photorealism it uses - I was expecting something more Escher-like for some reason.

Here's one that you probably haven't encountered:  http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/watcher-angel/ 

(Enochian things intrigue me.  A departed friend of mine once said I was getting off on the math of it.)

Dys Astyr

It wasn't what I was expecting either. Pleasant surprise. The man who created it is also really nice. I used to bug him with questions on social media and he was always very helpful even though I haven't yet been able to squeeze another deck into my budget since I found it.

This deck is definitely new to me. ;D I like the (and this is going to sound rude but I mean it in a good way) early-2000ish art style. Makes me a little nostalgic. I also like the black borders, I think that's something more decks would benefit from. Harsh white is very distracting.

AmberStarfire

I also have a copy of the Thoth deck, though the deck I use the most is the Mythic Tarot. The meanings behind the cards are centred around Greek mythology and I like its artwork as well. It's a good, solid deck to work with and I've found it's the one I keep going back to reading. It seems to have a much wider range of applications than some decks.

Other ones I have are the Goddess Tarot, Osho Zen, the Medicine Cards and I have a few other ones. I also read the runes and have worked with bindrunes before.

Dys Astyr

The Mythic Tarot looks interesting, is Persephone on one of the cards? ;D She is my favorite.

AmberStarfire

Yeah she is. Her story comes through in a few of the cards. She's on the High Priestess card. Her mother Demeter is on the Empress card. Hades is on the Death card.

There's some more information on them and the stories here:
http://www.donnafisherjackson.com/services/tarot_cards.html

Dys Astyr

Ooohhh, that's the perfect card for her too! Standing between worlds. I'm gonna have to get this deck now. XD Yet another one for the ever growing list.

Imogen

I use a fairly unknown deck called "Tarot in de Herstelde Orde" or Restored Tarot in English, by Rob Docters van Leeuwen. The restored Tarot makes use of two additional major arcana, called 'Intuition' and 'Truth'. The pictures have the look and feel of a Rider Waite deck, which - for me - made it easy for me to start using it.

More information (in English) can be found here. That site offers a nice review and also has some pictures of the cards.

Apparently the link is broken... I got to the site by doing a google search on "Tarot in de Herstelde Orde Engels". I hope that works!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Dys Astyr

That link is not working for me, it just takes me to an error page on Aeclectic. :/ Way to get me curious and then leave me out in the cold. XD

Imogen

Quote from: Dys Astyr on June 22, 2017, 11:58:07 AM
That link is not working for me, it just takes me to an error page on Aeclectic. :/ Way to get me curious and then leave me out in the cold. XD

Eep! Sorry!

Well, this is weird. I can't get a link to work, but when I use google search I get there just fine. I used "Tarot in de Herstelde Orde Engels" as keywords. It's the top link.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Oniya

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/herstelde-orde/

Does this one work?  It looks like your original link had some kind of parameter that might be specific to your session.

Imogen

Quote from: Oniya on June 22, 2017, 12:10:10 PM
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/herstelde-orde/

Does this one work?  It looks like your original link had some kind of parameter that might be specific to your session.

Yes!! <3
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Dys Astyr

Woo, that was an adventure in trying to get the copy/paste function on my phone to work. :P

How do you like the two added cards? Do they make a notable difference overall?

And with all the time that took me I could have just waited for Oniya to save the day. ;D

Oniya

That's a dangerous site, I'll have you know.  Almost as bad as TVTropes.  ;)

Dys Astyr

I have an account on Aeclectic I should probably dust off. Made the mistake of making it when I didn't have a personal computer and it's been lost to time/messy brain. >_>

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on June 22, 2017, 12:20:00 PM
I have an account on Aeclectic I should probably dust off. Made the mistake of making it when I didn't have a personal computer and it's been lost to time/messy brain. >_>
Aeclectic is closing July 14, this month.  I've come back to Elliquiy to see if there is any interest in the tarot.  Seems there are a few threads around here!  That's good news!  This is a great community and even thought I haven't been here for awhile (I've been at Scribophile), I always enjoyed it here.  It is only the forum Aeclectic will be closing, the rest of the site will be open and the threads of the forum will be read only but they will remain.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=276539

I do believe I'll stick around here for awhile again!
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Dys Astyr

I'm glad you found E's little tarot nook. ;D

Though I am sad that Aeclectic forums are going to be closing, I didn't even get to enjoy them! What the heck!

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 05, 2017, 10:42:35 AM
I'm glad you found E's little tarot nook. ;D

Though I am sad that Aeclectic forums are going to be closing, I didn't even get to enjoy them! What the heck!

I hope to expand your tarot nook.  I'm here to offer my readings for free.  I do writer readings, pet readings and general readings as well as answer yes/no questions.  Currently I'm working on RPG readings but I need a little more time for development but I'll be able to offer that to the members here in the near future.  ;)  I'll set up some threads very soon, if that's ok?
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on May 25, 2017, 03:09:14 PM

This thread is for discussing tarot, pretty much however you feel like. Talk about different decks, different cards, problems you've had as a reader, milestones you've reached as a reader (or collector). Really, I just wanted a place to talk tarot since I've seen a few other readers on the boards. ;D

Hello, Dys!  Shall we discuss? :D  I love tarot decks and can discuss them all day long!  A very fun discussion about the individual cards themselves are cards that 'follow' or shadow you.  If you do readings for yourself (I don't read myself) you might find certain cards that show up often.  These cards are giving you a message they feel you need to hear.  I do hope other readers find your thread, Dys.

I've got two things to get us started. First, I'm currently using the Vertigo Tarot and was wondering if anyone else had used it? How did you like it?

You know, I was not familiar with the Vertigo deck.  I had to look it up!  It's very interesting!  I don't have a lot of Gothic decks but yours looks very interesting!

Second, do you use tarot in your writing? I used to use tarot as a writing tool, but fell out of the habit. I recently used it to help with a story post I was stuck on and it made me remember how much fun it was.

As I said, I don't read for myself but I do Writer Readings.  I've been honing this reading for almost a year now and I have many writers that I help.  I will start a thread here soon, Saturn Reads Tarot and I'll discuss my readings further.  Anything I do for members here are free as long as I'm contacted on this thread or the other thread I set up.  I'm always learning and honing my skill and I need sitters!  I do have some spreads specifically for those who do want to use tarot to help them in their writing that I'll be sharing here.
I did not start as a collector, it just ended up that way.  I have a nice collection of decks that I will be using on my clients.  Currently my website is still under construction but I will have a portfolio that clients will be able to peruse and choose the deck they would like me to use for their reading.  I also use Oracle cards in my readings and usually pair up an oracle card or two with a tarot reading.  I used to have presorted pairs but after I acquired the number of decks that I have, it became too unyielding. 

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 06, 2017, 07:33:26 AM
I hope to expand your tarot nook.  I'm here to offer my readings for free.  I do writer readings, pet readings and general readings as well as answer yes/no questions.  Currently I'm working on RPG readings but I need a little more time for development but I'll be able to offer that to the members here in the near future.  ;)  I'll set up some threads very soon, if that's ok?

I am by now means running some sort of tarot mafia where people need permission to make new tarot threads. XD You do whatever you like! :-) I shall just be happy to see more tarot on E. (When I first joined there was someone giving IC tarot readings, though I have no idea where that thread disappeared to.) In fact TexasWarren had already been running a tarot reading thread before I started this one. (Here, if you are interested in seeing it.)

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 06, 2017, 10:11:42 AM
I am by now means running some sort of tarot mafia where people need permission to make new tarot threads. XD You do whatever you like! :-) I shall just be happy to see more tarot on E. I look forward to there being more tarot goodness on E. (When I first joined there was someone giving IC tarot readings, though I have no idea where that thread disappeared to.) In fact TexasWarren had already been running a tarot reading thread before I started this one. (Here, if you are interested in seeing it.)
Oh how wonderful!!  Thank you so much, Dys (your name is awesome!).  I'll post on that when I get done with my deck list.  I'll have to do it as an attachment because all the decks are linked so you can see them. ;)  I want to give love to your thread as well.  :D

Inkidu

I enjoy Tarot from a psychological perspective. Like according to Jung, the elements of the Tarot are so archetypal and universal to human desire for symbolism, and they're so fundamental to the collective unconscious of the human mind that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't find some kind of meaning in the cards, no matter how you flip or shuffle them.

As a writing tool it would make a lot of sense, since there's a lot of overlap between the two activities.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Inkidu on July 06, 2017, 10:35:56 AM
I enjoy Tarot from a psychological perspective. Like according to Jung, the elements of the Tarot are so archetypal and universal to human desire for symbolism, and they're so fundamental to the collective unconscious of the human mind that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't find some kind of meaning in the cards, no matter how you flip or shuffle them.

As a writing tool it would make a lot of sense, since there's a lot of overlap between the two activities.
Hi Inkidu!  I too believe in the psychological perspective of tarot as well as the intuitive.  I have a Jung book of symbols as well as the companion book to this oracle deck, Psycards.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/psycards/

The cards are based on Jung's archetypes and the book gives a lot of information.  In the long run, my readings do boil down to my connection with the sitter and the decks I use but Jung has a prominent place at my reading table.  :-)

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Inkidu on July 06, 2017, 10:35:56 AM

It's good to see people approaching the tarot from different directions. I know the cards have a strong association with the occult and that some people can't get past that but they are an amazing tool that doesn't require any sort of beliefs or whatever to use and enjoy.

SaturnCeleste

My Tarot and Oracle decks that I use for clients.  The links go to my website if you want to see the images of the decks.

Tarot Decks found in my Porfolio
http://www.ladymoiraine.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6745-tarot-and-oracle-decks-used-for-readings/

Legacy of the Divine, Tarot of Sexual Magic, Witches Tarot, Deviant Moon Tarot, Giant Rider-Waite, Housewives Tarot, Thoth Tarot, Hermetic Tarot, Robin Wood Tarot, Lord of the Rings Tarot, J.J. Swiss Tarot, Etruscan Tarot, Golden Tarot (Kat Black), Visconti-Sforza Tarot, Pagan Cats, Ancestral Path, Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot, The Sacred India Tarot, Morgan Greer Tarot, LeGrande Circus & Sideshow Tarot, Tarot Illuminati, Llewellyn's Classic Tarot, Miss Cleo’s Tarot Power, Animal Totem Tarot, So Below Deck: Book of Shadows Tarot Volume 2 , Russian Tarot of St Petersburg, Tarot of the New Vision, Revelations Tarot, Osho Zen Tarot: The Transcendental Game Of Zen, Tarot Mucha, Book of Thoth Etteilla Tarot, Aquarian Tarot, Feng Shui Tarot, Tarot of the Dead, Decameron Tarot, Native American Tarot, The Native American Tarot, Tyldwick Tarot, Dreaming Way Tarot, New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, Hip Witches Tarot, Watcher Angel Tarot, Angel Tarot, Hudes Tarot, Modern Spellcaster’s Tarot, Mibramig Magical Tarot, Beautiful Creatures Tarot, Tarot de Marseille by Jodorowsky, The Cook’s Tarot, Tarot of Vampyres, English Magic Tarot, The Gorgon’s Tarot, Bonefire Tarot, Book of Shadows: As Above Tarot, Deviant Moon Borderless Tarot, Ceccoli Tarot, The Wild Unknown Tarot, Cosmic Tarot, The Gay Tarot, Dreams of Gaia Tarot, The Bosch Tarot, Tarot of the Secret Forest, The After Tarot, Tarot of the Third Millennium, Maori Tattoo Tarot, The Healing Tarot, Romantic Tarot, Byzantine Tarot, Buckland Romani Tarot, Agni Roerich Tarot, Everyday Witch Tarot, Casanova Tarot, Manara: The Erotic Tarot, Wildwood Tarot, Poet Tarot, Baseball Tarot,Vikings Tarot, Bright Idea Tarot, Mystical Tarot, Prairie Tarot, Chrysalis Tarot, Tarot of the Absurd, Cult of Weimar Tarot, The Animism Tarot, The Original Dog Tarot, Cat’s Eye Tarot, Animal Wisdom Tarot, Blue Dog Rose Tarot, Wizards Tarot, Universal Fantasy Tarot, Alchemical Tarot: Renewed, Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery, Victorian Fairy Tarot, Tarot of the Hidden Realm, The World Spirit Tarot, Transparent Tarot, Tarocchi Sola Busca Tarot, The Original Rider Waite Tarot, Golden Thread Tarot, The Healing Light Tarot

Pre-Order Decks
Santa Muerte Tarot, Vice Versa Tarot, Ostara Tarot

Oracle Decks found in my Portfolio
http://www.ladymoiraine.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6745-tarot-and-oracle-decks-used-for-readings/&do=findComment&comment=146132

Celtic Tree Oracle, Art Nouveau Oracle Lenormand, Blue Bird Lenormand, Gypsy Witch, Madame Endora’s Fortune Cards, Halloween Oracle, Sacred Geometry Oracle, Enchanted Map Oracle, Power Animal Oracle, Shaman’s Oracle, Archangel Raphael Healing, Wisdom of the Oracle, Wisdom of Avalon Oracle, Wisdom of the Hidden Realms Oracle, Eros Oracle, Secret Language of Colors Oracle, The Oracle of Rama, Cat Wisdom, Symbolon, Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards, White Rabbit Oracle, Whispers of Lord Ganesha, Dreaming Way Lenormand, Wild Kuan Yin Oracle, Oracle of the Dreamtime Deck, White Eagle Medicine Wheel Oracle, Psycards System, Voices of Saints Oracle, Karma Angels Oracle, Talismans of Success Oracle, Portable Fortitude Playing Cards, Witchlings Oracle Set, Oracle of the Shapeshifters Deck, Energy Oracle, Divine Circus Oracle, Wisdom of the House of Night Oracle Cards, Creature Teacher Oracle, Tao Oracle, Daemon Tarot, Ceccoli Oracle, Earth Magic Oracle, Vintage Wisdom Oracle, Messenger Oracle, Flower Reading Oracle, Crystal Wisdom Healing Oracle, Fin de Siecle Kipper Oracle, Flowers of the Night Oracle, The Psychic Tarot Oracle, Botanical Inspirations Oracle, Viking Oracle, Divination of the Ancients Oracle, Keepers of the Light Oracle, The Illuminated Tarot, Dog Wisdom Oracle, Medicine Cards Oracle,  Fournier Angel Tarot

Pre-Ordered Decks
Postcards from Spirit, Angelarium: Oracle of Emanations,

SaturnCeleste

Well, Aeclectic forum is now officially closed.  I just posted my goodbye limerick and within seconds, the boards went dark.  I cried.  It's the end of a 17 year era.  :'(

blue bunny sparkle

On my tiny phone. Please excuse typos!

While living in NYC I saw an old, East European woman that taught me the Waite-Rider Deck. I would practice every night at home. For two months straight I pulled the Falling Tower card every spread. It freaked me out.I didn't know what was happening.

It stopped showing up after Sept 11, 2001.

I have taken steps away from the cards, but this thread has reminded me how much I love them and I think it's time to get reacquainted.

Dys Astyr

Wow Saturn you have ALL the decks. O_O

Quote from: blue bunny sparkle on July 14, 2017, 04:24:47 PM
On my tiny phone. Please excuse typos!

While living in NYC I saw an old, East European woman that taught me the Waite-Rider Deck. I would practice every night at home. For two months straight I pulled the Falling Tower card every spread. It freaked me out.I didn't know what was happening.

It stopped showing up after Sept 11, 2001.

I have taken steps away from the cards, but this thread has reminded me how much I love them and I think it's time to get reacquainted.

It's always creepy when cards are followed up in extremely literal ways. I've had that with the Death card a few times.

The Dark Raven

I need to get back to my decks....

I need the Osho Zen (first deck I ever read and it liked me.  Alas the deck was not mine.)

I have the Robin Wood (somewhere in my house....), the Renaissance Tarot (which i can't use because my hands are too small for the long cut), and the WildWood Tarot.  I would love the Greenwood, but it is out of print and priced beyond my reach.  It calls to me, though. :(

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Kuroneko

I have multiple decks, including the one in the image on your first post. It's the one I learned on and tend to go back to when I read for other people. Tarot is one of many oracular devices I use, including runes, other card sets and Ogham.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Dys Astyr

Quote from: The Dark Raven on July 14, 2017, 08:56:23 PM
I need to get back to my decks....

I need the Osho Zen (first deck I ever read and it liked me.  Alas the deck was not mine.)

I have the Robin Wood (somewhere in my house....), the Renaissance Tarot (which i can't use because my hands are too small for the long cut), and the WildWood Tarot.  I would love the Greenwood, but it is out of print and priced beyond my reach.  It calls to me, though. :(

It's somewhat reassuring to see I wasn't the only one who initially got into tarot through someone else's cards. XD I hope you get a hold of the deck soon!

Quote from: Kuroneko on July 14, 2017, 09:22:17 PM
I have multiple decks, including the one in the image on your first post. It's the one I learned on and tend to go back to when I read for other people. Tarot is one of many oracular devices I use, including runes, other card sets and Ogham.

Ogham has always interested me but I've never had the patience/time to sit down and learn it. I learned runes before tarot, they were much easier for me to wrap my head around.

SaturnCeleste

Hello everyone!  I started my reading thread, Saturn Reads Tarot here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.0

Please stop by for a free reading!  I do different kinds of readings than Texas Warren so if you'd like to try an RP reading, Writer reading, Pet reading or Intuitive Celtic Cross, please stop by my new thread!  ;D

Dys Astyr

Yay! Im glad you got your thread up. ;D I'll have to check that out a little later when I'm not phone lurking.

In unrelated news I got the Empress and Emperor as my daily cards today. Seems a little intense. XD

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 10:12:07 AM
Yay! Im glad you got your thread up. ;D I'll have to check that out a little later when I'm not phone lurking.

In unrelated news I got the Empress and Emperor as my daily cards today. Seems a little intense. XD
That is interesting!  I've been followed by the Emperor lately myself.  How did you read both cards, together as a single message or each card with the messages they have to offer?

Dys Astyr

I was seeing the Emperor a lot around the full moon. Maybe July is a good month for him? XD

Considering the cards have a similar vein I kind of went with that, grow/build without becoming a micromanaging, smothering freak about it. I've started probably too many projects this month so probably good advice. Remembering to let things flow naturally and not spazz out over every minute detail and second of time.

Also talk about a pair to represent balance. Oomph. ;D Especially since I used two decks, the Empress is very colorful and surreal while the Emperor has very stark, simple lines.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 10:57:42 AM
Especially since I used two decks, the Empress is very colorful and surreal while the Emperor has very stark, simple lines.
Now that is amazing! To get the pair from 2 separate decks!  If I'm doing a Facebook event I never use the same deck twice, I always use a new deck for each reading and when cards follow me from deck to deck, it is time to sit and take notice of the message they bring me.  Are you close with your parents?  Both of the cards together might be a message from your parents.

Hey, I have a great links for you to look at!
Having Sex with Court Cards! from Daily Tarot Girl
The Queens
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/03/26/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-one-queens/
The Kings
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2015/08/25/the-tarot-court-cards-in-bed-part-4-the-kings/
The Knights
http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/06/10/knights-tarot-bed/
The Pages
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/04/08/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-2-pages/

I promise you'll never look at Court Cards the same!  :D

Dys Astyr

I feel like its a very Bob Ross sort of vibe, more so given that I just started a project that's been feeling like it needs to be fast and loose while also requiring prep and planning. Hopefully it turns out well.

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 20, 2017, 11:52:52 AM
Now that is amazing! To get the pair from 2 separate decks!  If I'm doing a Facebook event I never use the same deck twice, I always use a new deck for each reading and when cards follow me from deck to deck, it is time to sit and take notice of the message they bring me.  Are you close with your parents?  Both of the cards together might be a message from your parents.

Hey, I have a great links for you to look at!
Having Sex with Court Cards! from Daily Tarot Girl
The Queens
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/03/26/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-one-queens/
The Kings
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2015/08/25/the-tarot-court-cards-in-bed-part-4-the-kings/
The Knights
http://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/06/10/knights-tarot-bed/
The Pages
https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2014/04/08/tarot-court-cards-bed-part-2-pages/

I promise you'll never look at Court Cards the same!  :D

That's... Different. XD I think of the court cards more as pop culture characters, though I'm still working on finding the perfect fit for many of them. I do the same thing with the Majors.

SaturnCeleste

When I first started reading I usually correlated the court cards to a person on my client's life but now I read them equally as either energy in their life or as people.  Must of it depends on my intuition OR the querent's question on how I will treat them.

It's funny, when I began to study the tarot I picked up the minor arcana cards very quickly and still love them.  So in order to MAKE me learn the court cards (especially as energy), I would have a deck with the Major Arcana cards, court cards and Aces.  I left the rest of the minor arcana cards out.  I really learned the court cards fast that way!

I LOVED Bob Ross!  Still watch him on YouTube. ;)

Dys Astyr

I watch him on YouTube too. ;D Just as awesome as when I was a kid watching him on PBS.

For me a lot of the traditional meanings are just... No. The Queen of Swords? Meh. The Water of Air? Maybe. Spock? Yes, very much.

persephone325

I have a Faerie Tarot deck that I bought back when Border's Books & Music was still open near me. I admit that I still don't really know how to interpret the cards myself. I hope to one day...
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dys Astyr

Quote from: persephone325 on July 20, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
I have a Faerie Tarot deck that I bought back when Border's Books & Music was still open near me. I admit that I still don't really know how to interpret the cards myself. I hope to one day...

This was me for years! Seriously it took a decade for tarot to start making sense to me, it was so frustrating. You just have to find the right approach for you and then it will start falling into place.

I wouldn't call it a be all, end all or a miracle, but the book Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer was really helpful to me once I got a good foothold to start learning the tarot from. That and also treating the cards like tangrams, and rearranging them so that they made more sense or told a story. And naturally, I am a big fan of forming association based on characters and archetypes that you know and love.

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:36:28 PM
This was me for years! Seriously it took a decade for tarot to start making sense to me, it was so frustrating. You just have to find the right approach for you and then it will start falling into place.

I wouldn't call it a be all, end all or a miracle, but the book Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Greer was really helpful to me once I got a good foothold to start learning the tarot from. That and also treating the cards like tangrams, and rearranging them so that they made more sense or told a story. And naturally, I am a big fan of forming association based on characters and archetypes that you know and love.

Ah! I've been trying to find a good "help" book for years. I couldn't really find one that seemed to make sense to me. But I'll have to look for this one. I'm betting that Amazon will most likely have it.

Good ol' Amazon. lol
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dys Astyr

Yep, that's where I got my copy. It was about $6 if I recall correctly, cause used books are awesome. (It is technically a work book, so there might be writing in it if you buy a used copy.)  Naturally there are also tons of YouTube videos and websites and stuff now too, but I always go back to good old fashioned books.

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:47:00 PM
Yep, that's where I got my copy. It was about $6 if I recall correctly, cause used books are awesome. (It is technically a work book, so there might be writing in it if you buy a used copy.)  Naturally there are also tons of YouTube videos and websites and stuff now too, but I always go back to good old fashioned books.

Yeah. Videos are nice, but I like to be able to physically hold something that I can always refer back to for times like when the internet goes down. lol
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

If you like playing with your phone the creator of my favorite deck made some tarot apps that are fun. Labyrinthos, which is a tarot learning app, as well as the Golden Thread Tarot and Luminous Spirit Tarot apps, which are just deck apps. Fun to play with though. Labyrinthos has little matching games to help you learn the basics of the cards, it's still pretty basic but she has big plans for it. (They are all free apps too.)

If you are a journaling sort of person, that is also supposed to be one of the best ways to learn. Just pull a card and write about it. (Tarot for Yourself has a lot of exercises like this, though I only did about half of them. Mostly I just read it and used it a reference.)

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:59:15 PM
If you like playing with your phone the creator of my favorite deck made some tarot apps that are fun. Labyrinthos, which is a tarot learning app, as well as the Golden Thread Tarot and Luminous Spirit Tarot apps, which are just deck apps. Fun to play with though. Labyrinthos has little matching games to help you learn the basics of the cards, it's still pretty basic but she has big plans for it. (They are all free apps too.)

If you are a journaling sort of person, that is also supposed to be one of the best ways to learn. Just pull a card and write about it. (Tarot for Yourself has a lot of exercises like this, though I only did about half of them. Mostly I just read it and used it a reference.)

Oh! I'll have to check those out. I do have an app on my phone right now called Galaxy Tarot that I have set up to give me a tarot card for each day. ^^
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

Tarot apps are fun. ;D Do you like Galaxy Tarot? I might try it, because you know, three tarot apps aren't enough... :P

persephone325

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 06:35:34 PM
Tarot apps are fun. ;D Do you like Galaxy Tarot? I might try it, because you know, three tarot apps aren't enough... :P

I do like it! There is a version you can pay for that gives you a little more options, but I don't have that. It's only $1.99, I believe. You can even save your readings. I'm pretty sure that's in the free version.
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 20, 2017, 05:59:15 PM

OMG the Golden Thread cards are so cool!  I have the deck.  I've used them a few times and found them easier to read than I thought they would be.  Maybe because I love the gold on the black SO MUCH!
Here's a reading that I did using the deck.
Image:

What I love about the cards so much is the feel.  They aren't made of paper but some thinly cut plastic so that gold won't wear off.  But it does scratch, the wing on my Temperance card has a big scratch and that hurt, the Temperance card is one of my favorite major arcana cards.

I will be doing Sunday E*rotic readings from now on and made my first post if you'd like to take a peek at E's erotic forecast.  >:)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.msg13370173#msg13370173

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 23, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
OMG the Golden Thread cards are so cool!  I have the deck.  I've used them a few times and found them easier to read than I thought they would be.  Maybe because I love the gold on the black SO MUCH!
Image:

What I love about the cards so much is the feel.  They aren't made of paper but some thinly cut plastic so that gold won't wear off.  But it does scratch, the wing on my Temperance card has a big scratch and that hurt, the Temperance card is one of my favorite major arcana cards.

I will be doing Sunday E*rotic readings from now on and made my first post if you'd like to take a peek at E's erotic forecast.  >:)

I have the first printing of the Golden Thread, before they were printed on plastic and they are getting really worn after more than a year of constant use. I want to get the new version but I just havent had the budget for more decks. That said Im really attached to the deck and I kinda like how weathered it looks. Makes it feel like a relic sort of.

And that sounds like it would be pretty amusing, I'm gonna go check it out.

persephone325

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 23, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
Image:

Those are really pretty!
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

What does y'all do when you have to tarot in a bad mood? I usually avoid interacting with my cards if I'm feeling cranky but since part of my ongoing studies is doing a card every morning and taking notes sometimes it happens anyway. This morning was one of those mornings.

Oniya

I'd say the question would be whether it's a self-reading (in which case, your state of mind is relevant to the situation), or a reading for others (in which case, your state of mind is not relevant to the situation.)  If it's a reading for someone else, I'd make a point of grounding and centering before setting up for the shuffle.

Dys Astyr

Since I rarely ever do readings for other people that's not as big of an issue for me.

Today I got the Wheel of Fortune as one of my cards, which should have been really exciting since it's the first time this year and its note page is empty and waiting to be filled. I just couldn't shake the grumps though.

And it's really easy to tell what type of mood I was in when I go back and read through the notes on the various cards, so I wonder if by starting the Wheel off on a grumpy note if it's going to grow to being a grumpy card for me. Next time it comes up will I read the notes I made today and pick up the grumpiness? I know that it sounds like I'm just being crazy but tarot always makes me think weird things.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 01:29:39 PM
1. Since I rarely ever do readings for other people that's not as big of an issue for me.

2. Today I got the Wheel of Fortune as one of my cards, which should have been really exciting since it's the first time this year and its note page is empty and waiting to be filled. I just couldn't shake the grumps though.

And it's really easy to tell what type of mood I was in when I go back and read through the notes on the various cards, so I wonder if by starting the Wheel off on a grumpy note if it's going to grow to being a grumpy card for me.  3. Next time it comes up will I read the notes I made today and pick up the grumpiness? I know that it sounds like I'm just being crazy but tarot always makes me think weird things.
1. Something I did when I was learning was do universal readings.  As I shuffled I stated it was a universal reading.  I would also request a career reading, love reading, whatever else I wanted to add in but keep the intent of a universal reading.  I did a ton of them.  It's different than thinking about a reading for yourself.  I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a career out of reading the tarot so I wanted to learn reading for other people my priority.

2. Just because you were pulling one card a day for yourself doesn't mean you couldn't pull two.  If you were feeling grumpy when you pulled The Wheel you could also choose to pull another card to clarify.  I believe you pull the cards you need to read.  The grumpiness association of the Wheel prompted you to look back at previous notes.  That's awesome and part of the reason to journal.  It is good to refer back to notes!  Keep on journaling!

3. If you already know ahead of time you want to reread today's notes, you have the choice to do so with the intention of simply reading the notes without judgement on what you wrote today, if that makes sense.  I think it's good that tarot cards make you think weird things, I believe they're doing their job on you! ;)  It's kind of why tarot artwork is so important, it summons up something inside of us.  And our taste for the particular decks we choose, makes it that much easier to allow the weird to happen!  >:)

I think The Wheel is a fascinating card because what you have today, after that wheel turns, you might not have tomorrow.  I look at The Wheel as a gambling card.  If you decide to take the chance, it's 50/50--the flip of a coin.  So, if you're grumpy today looking at the card, who knows, you might be happy next time  you look at it.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: persephone325 on July 23, 2017, 07:33:16 PM
Those are really pretty!
Thank you!  I'm very happy to have the deck.  Dys' deck is worth more though because its 1st edition.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 02:13:59 PM
Thank you!  I'm very happy to have the deck.  Dys' deck is worth more though because its 1st edition.

I don't know that it's worth any more. XD As much as I love the deck it's hardly a collectors item. (Though maybe in a few years it will be, who knows!) The cards look much nicer in matte plastic than the glossy coated card stock. You can really tell she listened to the feedback on the deck when choosing the new material. The two biggest complaints from the initial one was the glossy black and the fact that the edges were white, both of which were fixed in new version.

Also they are waterproof, which I think is the coolest thing ever.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 02:11:29 PM
1. Something I did when I was learning was do universal readings.  As I shuffled I stated it was a universal reading.  I would also request a career reading, love reading, whatever else I wanted to add in but keep the intent of a universal reading.  I did a ton of them.  It's different than thinking about a reading for yourself.  I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a career out of reading the tarot so I wanted to learn reading for other people my priority.

2. Just because you were pulling one card a day for yourself doesn't mean you couldn't pull two.  If you were feeling grumpy when you pulled The Wheel you could also choose to pull another card to clarify.  I believe you pull the cards you need to read.  The grumpiness association of the Wheel prompted you to look back at previous notes.  That's awesome and part of the reason to journal.  It is good to refer back to notes!  Keep on journaling!

3. If you already know ahead of time you want to reread today's notes, you have the choice to do so with the intention of simply reading the notes without judgement on what you wrote today, if that makes sense.  I think it's good that tarot cards make you think weird things, I believe they're doing their job on you! ;)  It's kind of why tarot artwork is so important, it summons up something inside of us.  And our taste for the particular decks we choose, makes it that much easier to allow the weird to happen!  >:)

I think The Wheel is a fascinating card because what you have today, after that wheel turns, you might not have tomorrow.  I look at The Wheel as a gambling card.  If you decide to take the chance, it's 50/50--the flip of a coin.  So, if you're grumpy today looking at the card, who knows, you might be happy next time  you look at it.

I do two cards every morning, the other card (Knight of Swords) was simply one I've already gotten a few times since making this renewed study effort and it already has some notes. I have only a handful of cards that haven't had any notes taken on them whatsoever and most mornings I'm half hoping one will pop up so I can start filling its page.

I've occasionally thought about doing readings for others, maybe not a profession per se but just to help I guess. XD I don't know I feel a lot of times that when I try to read for other people I'm just stumbling around like a fool. The few people I've done it for seem to like it but I personally always feel really awkward doing it.

I like to think of the Wheel being very similar to the rune Perthro, which was one of the last runes I managed to get a good handle on surprisingly. At least it makes the Wheel easier to understand. XD

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 02:46:24 PM
I do two cards every morning, the other card (Knight of Swords) was simply one I've already gotten a few times since making this renewed study effort and it already has some notes. I have only a handful of cards that haven't had any notes taken on them whatsoever and most mornings I'm half hoping one will pop up so I can start filling its page.

I've occasionally thought about doing readings for others, maybe not a profession per se but just to help I guess. XD I don't know I feel a lot of times that when I try to read for other people I'm just stumbling around like a fool. The few people I've done it for seem to like it but I personally always feel really awkward doing it.

I like to think of the Wheel being very similar to the rune Perthro, which was one of the last runes I managed to get a good handle on surprisingly. At least it makes the Wheel easier to understand. XD
I'm just learning runes.  I'll look Perthro up!  I don't read face to face with others, I do it strictly online.  Well, I've read neighbors and family but I prefer email, PM or FB type readings.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 25, 2017, 02:28:48 PM
I don't know that it's worth any more. XD As much as I love the deck it's hardly a collectors item. (Though maybe in a few years it will be, who knows!) The cards look much nicer in matte plastic than the glossy coated card stock. You can really tell she listened to the feedback on the deck when choosing the new material. The two biggest complaints from the initial one was the glossy black and the fact that the edges were white, both of which were fixed in new version.

Also they are waterproof, which I think is the coolest thing ever.

It seems once tarot cards go out of print, they rise in price.  One of the few things that get used yet appreciate in value!

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 03:26:40 PM
It seems once tarot cards go out of print, they rise in price.  One of the few things that get used yet appreciate in value!

Yup, it's unbelievable. XD Makes finding older decks very difficult, especially on a budget. I was hoping to pick up a used version of the Gothic Tarot of Vampires, a deck I wanted badly as a teen but was unable to get. It goes for more used than it costs to buy brand new! It's still in print, the only difference is that you have to order from Lo Scarabeo instead of getting it from the local book store. Crazy talk.

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 03:23:35 PM
I'm just learning runes.  I'll look Perthro up!  I don't read face to face with others, I do it strictly online.  Well, I've read neighbors and family but I prefer email, PM or FB type readings.

Online readings are definitely easier, I've done a couple of those as well. Maybe it's just because I'm socially awkward anyway, but hey we can't all be professional readers! Worse still there was a professional reader around here (she retired) who read with a deck so old you couldn't make out of the cards anymore. They were all almost completely white from being so worn. But she could still read them! So cool.

SaturnCeleste

SaturnCeleste

TheHangedOne

Interesting thread. I don't read the Tarot, but I like studying them; I like the symbolism of the cards. I've gotten a few readings over the years, but don't put too much stock in them, though I've seen some pretty interesting results happen.

As you all can see, my name on here is borrowed from one of the Major Arcana; The Hanged Man. I feel like this card best represents me, or at least my understanding of it (which can vary from deck to deck, but 'in general', I think it's 'my' card). I was discussing this with a Pagan friend of mine, and she disagreed with me, because she thought a different card made sense for me (King of Cups).

So she ended up doing a 12 card draw on me with a full deck. The card that ended up in the position that represented 'me'? The Hanged Man. She changed her mind, because apparently, her cards agreed with my assessment.

Anybody else have weird draws they want to share? Or feel like they have a particular card they feel represents them?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

I must admit I wondered why you picked your username, now I know.

For me "my card" is The Tower. Even though it's widely considered to be the most negative card in the tarot, often outshining The Devil in most people's opinion I have always gotten on really well with it. (It was even my avatar for a while.) When I first started playing with the tarot I could pull The Tower over and over. It's just stuck with me over the years. The Tower even inspired my username, as the card is often considered to represent impending disaster turning your life on it's head.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 08, 2017, 05:47:11 PM
I must admit I wondered why you picked your username, now I know.

For me "my card" is The Tower. Even though it's widely considered to be the most negative card in the tarot, often outshining The Devil in most people's opinion I have always gotten on really well with it. (It was even my avatar for a while.) When I first started playing with the tarot I could pull The Tower over and over. It's just stuck with me over the years. The Tower even inspired my username, as the card is often considered to represent impending disaster turning your life on it's head.

Mind if I ask you why you feel so strongly associated with it?

For me, with The Hanged Man, I've always seen it as a sort of 'stuck' card, in more ways than one. There's the obvious literal interpretation, of being caught in a snare, being bound and hung upside down (which doubles as a reference to bondage, which I am quite fond of); but also of being between two places, elements, etc. Being suspended in the air, and so borrowing from the element of air; yet being tied (often to a tree), being linked to the element of earth; stuck between two opposites, a part of both, belonging to neither (which I feel is pretty much the story of my life, never belonging anywhere, even though I can go between many places).

There's also the more commonly accepted view on the card about it being a symbol for hidden insights, or simply seeing things from a different angle, which I feel like I am always the odd man out, regardless of whatever group I'm in; not even because I want to be contrary, I just seem to naturally end up in that position.

On a tangentially related point, I'm frequently changing my avatar, as whimsy strikes; always a new version of the card.  Whatever has caught my fancy at the moment, until I get sick of looking at it.

And on a completely unrelated note, there is this that a friend gave me once, pretty much for funsies. According to it, I am the Knight of Blazing Spirits.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

It was originally my intention to also use different images of the card as my avatar. (You can still see this in my O/O thread.) I am though, terribly easily distracted. XD

Originally I had no idea what the card meant, or indeed any of the cards I frequently saw. I did little more than shuffle the cards and pull one out. If I wasn't thinking about anything in particular I would pull The Tower. If I though about my various friends I would pull a different card, always the same one for the same friend. (One friend was always The Devil, one Death and funnily enough, one The Hanged Man.)

The first thing I learned about The Tower was that it was associated with Mars, which was very cool with me being the macho weirdo I was/am. I later learned more about the card and felt a closer connection to it. While the card is generally associated with havoc, upheaval and chaos, first key word is usually disaster. Dis-aster, the bad star. An omen signaling change, though whether for better or worse... Who knows! XD

If you take the Major Arcana as a sequence The Tower is the point at which the chains of The Devil are symbolically shattered, whether we want them to be or not. What's not to love about that?

Going back to The Hanged Man card, one of the most popular archetypes for it is Odin hanging from the World Tree to gain knowledge of the runes. Again, what's not to love?

TheHangedOne

That is a good point, too. There's also the fact that Odin is also known as Hangadrottr--The Hanged God (if my Norse isn't failing me)--and that he has a very fascinating story in general.

I can't seem to find a picture of it, but at one time, I did see a Star Trek deck with Spock as The Hanged Man.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

Interesting choice for a Vulcan! (Well, half Vulcan. XD) I always associate him with the Queen of Swords as I've mentioned before. And I think of the Five of Swords as the Kobayashi Mari, so I guess for me Swords and Star Trek just go together.

I think I would maybe put Data as The Hanged Man in a Star Trek deck personally.

TheHangedOne

That makes sense. I can't recall if he showed up in the deck, and if he did, what he was; it was years ago.  He might have been The Fool? All the wisdom, and all the folly, and not always being able to tell the difference between the two.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

Oh, that would also be a very good card for him!

I don't know if I could do an entire deck from one franchise though, even one as large as Star Trek. XD My associations for the cards are all over the place. Like such:

The Fool - Bill and Ted
The Emperor - The Emperor of Mankind (pre-heresy)
The Hierophant - Agent Scully
Strength - Major Armstrong
Justice - The Crow

Oniya

According to THM's link, I am the Empress of Quiet Waters.  This - is oddly fitting.

Spock would fit with the 'between two worlds' aspect of the card, though.  It's also usually noted that the figure on the card always seems to be quietly contemplating, rather than in any sort of distress - again, quite Spock-like.

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on August 09, 2017, 02:50:57 AM
According to THM's link, I am the Empress of Quiet Waters.  This - is oddly fitting.

Spock would fit with the 'between two worlds' aspect of the card, though.  It's also usually noted that the figure on the card always seems to be quietly contemplating, rather than in any sort of distress - again, quite Spock-like.

I'm the Queen of Magical Waters. ^^
I don't know.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Oniya on August 09, 2017, 02:50:57 AM

Its not a bad card for him, but to me The Hanged Man is not logical enough to be Spock. Its more about "gut" knowledge, intuition, etc.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 09, 2017, 08:40:31 AM
Its not a bad card for him, but to me The Hanged Man is not logical enough to be Spock. Its more about "gut" knowledge, intuition, etc.
I can appreciate that view. For me, the Hanged Man has simply been 'a different view', whether that is more logical or less, more formal or less, intuitive/instinctual or reasoned, etc; just that it's different from the "status quo" that the individual is surrounded by.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

You make a good point. I guess in my mind the default setting for society is science/reason. Though, I guess that's a faulty assumption since as much as everyone pays lip service to the ideals few actually follow them.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 09, 2017, 09:19:37 AM
You make a good point. I guess in my mind the default setting for society is science/reason. Though, I guess that's a faulty assumption since as much as everyone pays lip service to the ideals few actually follow them.
I would say the default setting for society is knee-jerk emotional reaction-ism; at the same time, though, I think this is getting way off topic.

Anybody ever seen the H.R. Giger deck? As is fitting his style, semi-erotic imagery, lots of machine-flesh integration; and I can't always understand what he's getting at. Anybody care to give me their take on this NSFW card?
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

I love Giger's art but I do not even try to make sense of it. XD I've seen pictures of the deck before, and I think it was just put together from existing paintings so there may not be any particular meaning to some of the cards. XD

But, I would say this card is more in line with my take on The Hanged Man, showcasing only the "lower" portion of the being. Residing in the primal perspective.

Oniya

I think I'm going to try a little writing experiment.  A book (or more likely a couple of books) where each chapter is based on a different card, drawn randomly, without replacement.  So, once I draw a particular card, it won't show up again in the 78 chapters.  Just need to poke a few boxes and find which deck to use.

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:02:45 AM
I think I'm going to try a little writing experiment.  A book (or more likely a couple of books) where each chapter is based on a different card, drawn randomly, without replacement.  So, once I draw a particular card, it won't show up again in the 78 chapters.  Just need to poke a few boxes and find which deck to use.

That sounds hella awesome!
I don't know.

TheHangedOne

Will each chapter be inter-connected (and so maybe form it's own Fool's Journey sort of thing)? Or would it be more like short stories?
Check out my poet tree!

Oniya

This will be a single story, with each card indicating a major theme of that chapter.  Not quite the 'journey' seen in tracking the Major Arcana, since I'd be using the whole deck out of sequence.  The cards will decide the path, to some extent.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:46:12 AM
This will be a single story, with each card indicating a major theme of that chapter.  Not quite the 'journey' seen in tracking the Major Arcana, since I'd be using the whole deck out of sequence.  The cards will decide the path, to some extent.
That sounds really neat. I hope you'll keep us up to date on your writing.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 09, 2017, 11:18:54 AM

Anybody ever seen the H.R. Giger deck? As is fitting his style, semi-erotic imagery, lots of machine-flesh integration; and I can't always understand what he's getting at. Anybody care to give me their take on this NSFW card?

I have the deck.  It was one of the first decks I bought.  In all honesty, I can't read with it.  Dys Astyr is right, they just took art and tried to affix it to a card, it doesn't really match up at all.  I'll look at the official book definition and see if it goes into any detail.

There was a tarot haiku going on at Aeclectic when they closed down.  You randomly pull 3 cards.  They can be all from the same deck or different decks.  Then write a line of haiku for each card. 
This is the original thread with the original directions.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197285
This is my post
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=5027705&postcount=192

I've been thinking about starting a thread for the Tarot Haiku.  Anyone interested? and where would be the best part of E to start it?

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:46:12 AM
I will gladly follow your story, Oniya!  ;D

Oniya

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 15, 2017, 12:03:54 PM

There was a tarot haiku going on at Aeclectic when they closed down.  You randomly pull 3 cards.  They can be all from the same deck or different decks.  Then write a line of haiku for each card. 
This is the original thread with the original directions.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197285
This is my post
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=5027705&postcount=192

I've been thinking about starting a thread for the Tarot Haiku.  Anyone interested? and where would be the best part of E to start it?

We got a Poetry forum... ;)

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 15, 2017, 12:05:22 PM
I will gladly follow your story, Oniya!  ;D

I'm going to be hitting the PA Renfaire in a couple of weeks.  I'm probably going to slip into the 'crystals and witchy stuff' shop and see if any decks volunteer.  Otherwise, I'll use the first of my current collection that shows up (they hide now and then.)

Dys Astyr

I love the sound of tarot stories and the haiku! I've been playing with the idea of doing a tarot powered story for a while, but never could get the oomph needed to make it real, so I'm 100% behind someone else making it happen. ;D

Oniya

I'm still debating how to share it, since I want to both keep y'all updated and eventually self-publish it.  Perhaps making each chapter available for a space of time here and replacing it with the next one when that's ready.  At a bare minimum, I'll be putting up a chapter summary, including the card identifier and the interpretation that the chapter focuses on.

Dys Astyr

That's a tricky hurdle. Well, however you decide to do it I'm sure you will have a fan base here. :-)

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 18, 2017, 04:57:44 PM
That's a tricky hurdle. Well, however you decide to do it I'm sure you will have a fan base here. :-)
Do you need help critiquing?  A friend of mine self pubbed her book The Eyes of March back in February.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-March-MANTIC-1/dp/1542913179/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094733&sr=1-3&keywords=mantic
I helped critique her.  I know many writers use Google Docs but make sure it's password protected or just use email.  Can you post it here?  If you self-pub, you don't need to worry about first published.  Just make sure you post it in a password protected part of the site.

One of my favorite anime series is Escaflowne.  It uses tarot reading as a plot device.  They made a tarot deck based on the one in the series but it's out of print.
https://www.amazon.com/Hitomis-Tarot-Cards-Escaflowne/dp/B003BMA00Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094969&sr=1-2&keywords=hitomi%27s+escaflowne

Another tv show that used tarot cards was Carnivale.  Skip down to Tarot Divination on the page to read about the tarot and how it was used in the series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_Carniv%C3%A0le
Sadly they never had a complete deck or major arcana.

edit, I just found this deck [Escaflowne] on ebay.  It arrives by the end of the month, I'm so excited!  ;D

Dys Astyr

Holy fucking cartomancy batman they made an Escaflowne deck???

Must have. O_O

Honestly I don't remember there being tarot in that series but it's been a long time...

I'm getting my animes confused, I was thinking RaXephon for some reason. >_> I like Escaflowne too though, and it's still a pretty awesome find.

I really, really want the deck they did for Dragon Age Inquisition, but I didn't find out they were doing it until the preorders were sold out and the deck currently goes for about $200 on ebay. :/

Oniya

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 18, 2017, 05:30:49 PM
Do you need help critiquing?  A friend of mine self pubbed her book The Eyes of March back in February.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-March-MANTIC-1/dp/1542913179/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503094733&sr=1-3&keywords=mantic
I helped critique her.  I know many writers use Google Docs but make sure it's password protected or just use email.  Can you post it here?  If you self-pub, you don't need to worry about first published.  Just make sure you post it in a password protected part of the site.

I would very much appreciate constructive criticism.  Once I have something actually written, I'll chat with you more about that.  Any chapters that I do post here would be in the Storyteller's Forum, so that's in the Members Only area. 

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 18, 2017, 06:39:32 PM
I would very much appreciate constructive criticism.  Once I have something actually written, I'll chat with you more about that.  Any chapters that I do post here would be in the Storyteller's Forum, so that's in the Members Only area.
Sounds good, Oniya!

New Elliquiy E*clipse reading posted!
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.msg13442364#msg13442364  ;D

Majere Dreavan

I don't know if this is been said before, But I really want Piers Anthony's 100 card Tarot! I think it would be awesome and open up so many possibilities.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Majere Dreavan on August 22, 2017, 06:22:14 PM
I don't know if this is been said before, But I really want Piers Anthony's 100 card Tarot! I think it would be awesome and open up so many possibilities.
From the book series?  Sounds interesting.

Oniya

I'm going to have to go look up the extra 22 cards...

Dys Astyr

I can't even imagine the cramps I'd get from trying to shuffle a 100 card deck... -____-

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 22, 2017, 07:43:34 PM
I can't even imagine the cramps I'd get from trying to shuffle a 100 card deck... -____-
Honestly, mass market cards are so thin and flimsy these days I don't think it would be too hard.  I'm hard on my cards though because I riffle-shuffle.  I just like the air going through the cards when I shuffle.

Tarot of the Silicon Dawn has 97 cards
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/silicon-dawn/
Dreams of Gaia has 81.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dreams-of-gaia-tarot/

I read on Aeclectic some readers use 2 decks combined but I can't imagine why.  I find using oracle cards accompanying a reading more effective than using 2 decks.  I suppose if you do bring up the same card from each deck in a reading it would reinforce the message two-fold.

Majere Dreavan

My favorite card in that set is "the Ghost" I always imagined it as a floating lantern.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on August 23, 2017, 07:34:08 AM
Honestly, mass market cards are so thin and flimsy these days I don't think it would be too hard.  I'm hard on my cards though because I riffle-shuffle.  I just like the air going through the cards when I shuffle.

Yea but I use the shuffle-till-the-cards-jump-out method, which means I'm sometimes shuffling for a good chunk of time depending on the size of the spread. It can get quite uncomfortable, especially with larger sized cards.

Majere Dreavan

I would probably cut the deck in fours and cross shuffle a few times

Dys Astyr

Cards for the day:
The Emperor
The Tower
The Fool

I'm not sure whether I should be excited or go back to bed... >_>

Oniya

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 26, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
Cards for the day:
The Emperor
The Tower
The Fool

I'm not sure whether I should be excited or go back to bed... >_>

Dys (Tower) tells Adulting (Emperor) 'I don't wanna', and goes out to play with the dog (at least, most images of the Fool I've seen have a dog in there somewhere.)

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
Dys (Tower) tells Adulting (Emperor) 'I don't wanna', and goes out to play with the dog (at least, most images of the Fool I've seen have a dog in there somewhere.)

I like this interpretation. ;D

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
So damn funny, Oniya!  XD

Something I do tell people about the tower (especially in the summertime or storm season) is make sure to backup your work and backup your computer.  You never know when the power will go out.

SaturnCeleste

Oniya

I have acquired the thing.  I went into 'Merlin's Mirror' at the PA Renfaire, and scanned over their decks and picked out the 'Dreaming Way' Tarot - a deck I haven't encountered before, but the front cover looks an awful lot like Saturn's avatar.  Standard 78-card setup, and didn't feel too 'erudite' for the task.  Going to take a couple of days to get to know it, and then I'll make my first 'chapter' drawing.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on September 03, 2017, 11:02:07 PM
I have acquired the thing.  I went into 'Merlin's Mirror' at the PA Renfaire, and scanned over their decks and picked out the 'Dreaming Way' Tarot - a deck I haven't encountered before, but the front cover looks an awful lot like Saturn's avatar.  Standard 78-card setup, and didn't feel too 'erudite' for the task.  Going to take a couple of days to get to know it, and then I'll make my first 'chapter' drawing.
Oh thank you for mentioning me!  I love the Dreaming Way deck and use it often.  It makes me happy working with it.  I also love the androgyny of it.  And mark my words, we'll all be wearing that style of shoes within the year! lol
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dreaming-way/

I look forward to your story!

Dys Astyr

So... I was wondering if anyone does this/does something like this.

When I am thinking about working with a new deck (or an old deck I haven't managed to wrap my head around) I shuffle the decks and sit them on either end of my spread cloth. I then flip the cards over one by one until I get a match. I use that card as a sort of... Connection I guess. How they are similar. Basically to gauge what would be the best way for me to approach the new deck, since I am tarot-challenged. XD

I did this little flippy-thing this morning with my tried and true Golden Thread and my Cosmos Tarot. I love the idea of the Cosmos Tarot but I just can't seem to get along with it. Partially because each card was designed by a different artist, partially because it deviates significantly from what I've managed to get to know about the tarot...

Anyway, I did the flippy thing and not one match but two came up. First the Queen of Cups and then the King of Pentacles. And like... Damn that's pretty intense. I don't know what to think about it.

I already do two cards each morning, one from the Golden Thread and one from the Vertigo. I'm considering either replacing one or the other with the Cosmos for a bit or just adding a third card, though using three separate tarot decks seems a bit much for a simple daily draw.

I just really don't know what to think about this. XD

SaturnCeleste

I don't read for myself so I can't relate that way but I have experienced the same card popping up for someone I've read for before BUT I never use the same deck, so it's a card that pops up for the same person, different deck and weeks later.  When that happens I make sure to look at that card because I take it as a clear message from the universe to them.

You might want to journal about that, keep track of the date, time and cards involved.  Maybe there's a pattern?