Planescape: Pharaoh's Afterlife (5E, LGBTQ+ friendly)

Started by TheKhan, May 17, 2019, 11:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKhan

Death has claimed Akhenisis, the glorious kingdom of Atenkemet’s Pharaoh! Her body has grown stiff and her soul has been divided. Today, priests of Wesir-Osiris entomb her mummified Khat within the massive complex made in her honor, so that her soul may forever find its ways home and so her name shall never be forgotten. Today is also your last day among the lands of the living.

You were but a lowly servant of the living goddess, but you were honored to accompany the Pharaoh into the afterlife. Though your lungs still draw breath, today the mortuary priests metaphorically snuffed out your life through ritual and symbol. Culturally, you are dead, your family will mourn you in meer hours, even as they celebrated the final glory Akhenisis placed upon your brow. Should you survive the journey into the Kemetic underworld of the Duat, you will serve the Pharaoh in the hereafter and will never return home.

Should you die or be found unworthy… well you were symbolically dead already.

Who are you? Why were you chosen to be a goddess’ attendant? What are you leaving behind and what awaits you in the future of the afterlife? The only way to know is to begin your journey.

The Lore
Alignment: Any non-evil. I’m interested in heroes, not villain protagonists. 

History: You have been chosen to serve the Pharaoh Akenisis in the afterlife. Right now, you are preparing to enter the afterlife and begin your journey West to the Duat. It is likely that you are a citizen of Atenkemet who worships the Kemetic (Ancient Egyptian) gods, but you don’t necessarily have to be. Seeing a worshiper of Thor, Wee Jas, or Shelyn grapple with the Kemetic afterlife would be very interesting. What you all are, regardless of your origin, is someone trusted by the Pharaoh and someone who consented to accompany her into the afterlife, even though it means never returning home. Your background should establish why. Why did Pharaoh trust you? Why are you willing to sacrifice so much for her? What do you have to give up because of this honor? 

Personality: Your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over. Keeping a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another.

Appearance: As you please, although a picture is required so that I can use it on maps, although it doesn’t have to be a perfect representation of your character.

Aspirations: Please include three aspirations for your character, two short-term and one long term. Note that these are your aspirations for the character, so they don’t have to be things the character wants to happen to themself. Also, these aspirations should be story focused, but don’t have to connect to a larger metaplot. They are just useful barometers for me to try and keep everyone engaged.

Tomb: Your “death” may be symbolic, but you still get a tomb. Tell me about it. What sorts of spells are inscribed in the walls, what treatures (if any) fill its chamber, which gods have beseeched for aid? I am planning to draw on this

Sexuality: Planescape’s nature allows for unique romantic partners. Do by all means take advantage of that, I will present opportunities at the appropriate moments (which may or may not happen in this first sequence) although you can also feel free to go out and meet people, especially once we hit the bigger cities.

Character Creation
Books
Quick Version: 5e Core, Xanther’s (both of them), Volo’s, Ravnica, Plane Shift: Amonkhet, Races of the Planes Vol 1, Volo’s Complete Subrace Handbook
Long Version: Any of the official 5e books are pretty much fair game. I don’t have encyclopedic of what is in each book though, so I’d appreciate it if you could cite anything that’s not from the PHB. I’d also like to point out that the Plane Shift PDFs are included in that and Planeshift: Amonkhet is probably something that will be of interest to you (and it's free)! Check with me first about DMG content, if I own it or if it is pay-what-you-want I will probably allow it.
Starting Level: 3rd level
Classes: Any from allowed sources
Races: Pretty much anything. Pharaoh’s lands are cosmopolitan to begin with and the planes are even more so. More exotic races may have to be explained, but Atenkemet has its fair share of portals to the planes, so it is entirely possible that something like a rogue modron served Pharoah as a mystical judge, mechanic, or tax collector.
Backgrounds: Any from the sources listed. Ravnica Backgrounds do not gain access to the bonus spells and they will require some tweaking.
Ability scores: 27-point buy.
Equipment: By class and background combination. Since being Pharoah’s champions has its perks, you also start with two common magic items.
Experience: When I feel it is an appropriate time for you to level up, I will tell you to level up.

Expectations
Regular Posting: Shit happens, so I try not to be a tyrant about post rates, but please commit to posting twice a week. A number of my games a stalled out recently simply because people stopped interacting. I will do everything I can to prevent that from my end, but I believe it will help if you can commit to all least twice weekly. If extenuating circumstances make that untenable once the game is underway, talk to me and we’ll work something out, just please don’t vanish with no notice.

Also, Planescape is setting loves to dive headfirst into mystery, philosophy, and politics. There will be combat, but this setting gives us the opportunity to interact with angels, demons, and psychopomps in unique ways and I certainly want to take advantage of that. Roleplaying is a big draw for me, so I am perfectly fine with going extended periods without drawing swords (or bows or axes). Please make sure you are okay with that too.

Cooperative Play: Basically, don’t be a dick. Don’t troll other people or start fights. We are all here to have fun. Me having to play peacekeeper is anti-fun.

Open-Mindedness: This game is open to all orientations and genders. I’m a cis-het male, so I can’t promise I’ll get everything right, but I’m always open to talking and learning more. I just ask everyone to bring that open-mindedness.

Communication: Talk to me (and each other). Let me know what you’d like to see/experience. If there is something you’d like to see or is killing your buzz, let me know. If something uncomfortable comes up and you need the scene to end, please tell me.

Rating
This is a bit flexible. It will definitely be exotic, because Planescape can’t be anything else. I would kinda like to deal with the Lower Planes in all their horrific, villainous glory, which probably requires the EX rating to be on the safe side, but I don’t have to go that . Once we have a group together, we’ll chat about what everyone is an is not comfortable with. If it's not EX, it will be BON. Non-Con is something I am very not comfortable with in any situation, so it will not be showing up in any form regardless of the rating.

FYIs

• I try to post frequently and give enough detail for players to respond to, but I am aware that I generally write less than other GMs. I’m being open and front about this so that everyone knows that this is a product of how slow I compose rather than a lack of interest on the GM’s side. On my side, I’m going to try to combat those shorter posts by using speech to text software more frequently with this game. I’m also on E! To improve my writing, so I’m totally open to suggestions.
  • Non-con and anything involving teenagers are very, very hard limits for me.

FAQ
I know nothing about 5e! Can I join?
I’d encourage it! It is likely I only know marginally more than you do.

What is Planescape? Do I need to know about the setting to join the game?
No, you don’t! Planescape is like the connective tissue that holds all of D&D’s worlds together, set on the planes. This game should serve as a good introduction to what makes Planescape unique if you are unfamiliar with it.

Wasn’t this game already on E?
Kinda. I attempted to run a Planescape game with a similar premise a while back, but sadly it died a quick death. I still really like the idea though so I’m giving it another shot, this time I’m starting it with the initial journey into the afterlife rather than skipping straight to Sigil. Also, this is 5e opposed to Pathfinder (although I’m drawing on both settings for inspiration).

Are our characters Pharaoh’s slaves?
No. The topic of Ancient Egyptians and slavery is a pretty loaded one, as is slavery and the alignment system, so I’d prefer just sidestep both of entirely. Akhenisis is meant to a sympathetic character and I find someone owning other human beings completely unsympathetic (ditto for heads of state whose enable slavery to exist legally). That said if you want to twist the trope on its head and say that the slavery was some sort of consensual BDSM-style relationship? Go right ahead.

Isn’t 3rd Level low for the Pharaoh’s champions in the afterlife?
Maybe. But she is a god now and gods act in mysterious ways.

How does the ancient Egyptian cosmology fit with Planescape's Great Wheel?
It's a bit complicated. I love me some Planescape, but the campaign is a bit notorious for overriding the cosmologies of other settings (and real-world religions), then chalking the discrepancies up to being Clueless screed. That doesn't sit particularly well with me. The Great Wheel is true in my Planescape, but so is Golarion's Great Beyond. So is the World Tree of the Toril. So is the World Axis of Nentir Vale. So is the ancient cosmology of Egypt. They are all true and all exist, crossing over like interwoven branes of reality. Now, one thing I want to explore in this campaign is where that overlap occurs so I'm not going to spill the details yet, but you will find out how it works over time.

Will we reach Sigil?
Eventually, yes.

Inspiration
This is not a comprehensive list of works I’m drawing on for inspiration, but this does give an idea of where my head is at.

The Mummy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Mummy’s Mask
Scion Second Edition
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Kung Fu Hustle
Order of the Stick
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Odyssey 
American Gods
Sandman

The Application
Players: 3-5 players, as selected by me.
What You Need: A character sheet that’s at least 90% done, including picture, aspirations, background, and tomb. The latter does not need to be super extensive, however.
When you need it by: I will be picking characters on May 31.

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Velatha

Quite interested indeed.  I'll be sure to bookmark this and look at it when I have some free time...  In a few days most likely.
O/Os

Roleplay request thread Status: Currently accepting

Drowdeviant

My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

TheKhan

Quote from: Drowdeviant on May 18, 2019, 02:43:04 PM
Egyptian planescape romp? Where do I sign? xD

Here. Here would be the place  :P  ;D

Anyhow, if anyone else needs convincing, these two are from one of the best Planescape fanfics ever. Both are extremely fucking powerful fiends who probably won't show up in this game, but you never know.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: TheKhan on May 18, 2019, 03:16:24 PM
Here. Here would be the place  :P  ;D

Anyhow, if anyone else needs convincing, these two are from one of the best Planescape fanfics ever. Both are extremely fucking powerful fiends who probably won't show up in this game, but you never know.

...Question, would it be weird for us to be possibly be related to the Pharaoh whether by blood or from being adopted by her? I'm cooking up an idea currently. xD

Also what are the limitations for how much wealth our tombs can have?

...Also would you be willing to make us a common magical item or two? I have one picked already but the other choices are just kind of not catching my interest. xD
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

TheKhan

Quote from: Drowdeviant on May 18, 2019, 04:18:13 PM
...Question, would it be weird for us to be possibly be related to the Pharaoh whether by blood or from being adopted by her? I'm cooking up an idea currently. xD

Also what are the limitations for how much wealth our tombs can have?

...Also would you be willing to make us a common magical item or two? I have one picked already but the other choices are just kind of not catching my interest. xD

1) Go for it! Sky's the limit with this one.

2) I don't think there needs to be a monetary limit. You won't be overshadowing Pharaoh, but if your royality your tomb could be part of her pyramid or even a smaller independent one. It's your choice, but the tomb should reflect and inform about the character. If wealth is a critical part of the character, it would be reflected in the tomb even if they can't physically take that wealth into the Duat.

3) What type of common magic item are you thinking? Feel free to pitch one to me.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: TheKhan on May 18, 2019, 05:22:03 PM
1) Go for it! Sky's the limit with this one.

2) I don't think there needs to be a monetary limit. You won't be overshadowing Pharaoh, but if your royality your tomb could be part of her pyramid or even a smaller independent one. It's your choice, but the tomb should reflect and inform about the character. If wealth is a critical part of the character, it would be reflected in the tomb even if they can't physically take that wealth into the Duat.

3) What type of common magic item are you thinking? Feel free to pitch one to me.

2) Well then it might be somewhat of a pleasure den then. Can see my gal as being a follower of Isis and Bast ;)

3) Well for the one I picked it would be the ruby of the warmage (cause weapons spell foci are kewl  8-) ). I just am looking for a more appropriate option for her second. xD

TheKhan

Quote from: Drowdeviant on May 18, 2019, 05:28:12 PM
Well for the one I picked it would be the ruby of the warmage (cause weapons spell foci are kewl  8-) ). I just am looking for a more appropriate option for her second. xD

Honestly, just make something up that has a cool aesthetic but minimal in-game effect. In one of my Eberron games, the wizard had a spellbook that would levitate in front of her at any time and the Warforged made himself into armour of gleaming so he always looked good. I've also seen potions that belts that allow people who are transitioning to swap gender (permanent and non-permanent, respectively). It doesn't work as disguise since the character is still recognizable as the same person, it just helps with the dysmorphia (find them here). Common magic items are generally like that, things that create cool and potentially valuable aesthetics, but don't provide a statistical bonus. You can find a bunch more examples here.

(The spellbook was also a clockwork contraption instead of an acutal book, but that's cause she was a Cannith heir)

indarkestknight

I'm not familiar enough with 5e to be comfortable giving playing a shot, but I'll be following along as a reader with interest. Best of luck, everyone.

TheKhan

Quote from: indarkestknight on May 18, 2019, 10:32:33 PM
I'm not familiar enough with 5e to be comfortable giving playing a shot, but I'll be following along as a reader with interest. Best of luck, everyone.
This will literally be my third time GMing it. As long as I resisted it, it is a very intuitive system, so I bet you could pick it up pretty quick.

Velatha

I've been thinking about what to build, and would like some feedback on how this sounds. 

I was thinking of playing a Tabaxi warlock, with a sphinx as her patron, serving the Pharoh as consul and court magician.
O/Os

RedPhoenix

Well as super cool and intriguing as this setup is I don't think this is a good time at all for me to start anything new so sadly I won't be finishing a sheet. It looks amazing though, best of luck for running it!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Winds Of Lust

Oh man, My first thoughts are adapting my Tiefling monk into the setting...

Something like a bodyguard or a temple guard who was either volunteered to guard in the pharaoh in the afterlife as they did in life ( or maybe was made to volunteer by internal temple politics, we can workshop it )

Sun Soul, though I'd love it if we called it 'The Fist of Ra' for this sort of setting

TheKhan

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 19, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
Well as super cool and intriguing as this setup is I don't think this is a good time at all for me to start anything new so sadly I won't be finishing a sheet. It looks amazing though, best of luck for running it!
Thanks! That's too bad you can't join us. Hopefully everything goes well!

Quote from: Winds Of Lust on May 19, 2019, 06:06:00 PM
Oh man, My first thoughts are adapting my Tiefling monk into the setting...

Something like a bodyguard or a temple guard who was either volunteered to guard in the pharaoh in the afterlife as they did in life ( or maybe was made to volunteer by internal temple politics, we can workshop it )

Sun Soul, though I'd love it if we called it 'The Fist of Ra' for this sort of setting

Fist of Ra sounds awesome!

Quote from: Velatha on May 19, 2019, 03:41:15 PM
I've been thinking about what to build, and would like some feedback on how this sounds. 

I was thinking of playing a Tabaxi warlock, with a sphinx as her patron, serving the Pharoh as consul and court magician.
Sounds good! I'll do you one better. The patron could be not just a sphinx, but THE Sphinx — the archetypical creature dwelling in Duat who serves the gods as a Herald.

Velatha

O/Os

TheKhan

I alway forget something.  >:( This time it is fairly minor at least.

Languages: Everyone gets Kemetic (read: Ancient Egyptian) as a bonus language. You still learn Common as normal, but it is a trade language, not the nation's native tongue.

HopeFox

This looks interesting! The Amonkhet setting is a really cool take on Planescape and Egyptian mythology.

I'm thinking of a character who is a sort of wandering historian, adept at surviving outside the city proper, whose lifelong purpose is seeking out and recording the lore of people and their ancestors. Definitely a worshipper of Kefnet, with either the Sage or Vizier background. Not sure about race - they're all really cool! Maybe human, maybe an ibis-headed aven or naga. He would have come into Akhenisis's service as part of the very important work to record her life and accomplishments, and place them in the histories alongside her ancestors.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Dhi

I'm going to work on a character as well. Planescape from an Egyptian perspective sounds terrific.

TheKhan

Quote from: HopeFox on May 21, 2019, 06:25:33 AM
This looks interesting! The Amonkhet setting is a really cool take on Planescape and Egyptian mythology.

I'm thinking of a character who is a sort of wandering historian, adept at surviving outside the city proper, whose lifelong purpose is seeking out and recording the lore of people and their ancestors. Definitely a worshipper of Kefnet, with either the Sage or Vizier background. Not sure about race - they're all really cool! Maybe human, maybe an ibis-headed aven or naga. He would have come into Akhenisis's service as part of the very important work to record her life and accomplishments, and place them in the histories alongside her ancestors.

Sounds cool!

Quote from: Dhi on May 21, 2019, 07:48:52 PM
I'm going to work on a character as well. Planescape from an Egyptian perspective sounds terrific.

Thanks! I think it is. It should give a different way of looking at the planes and focus a bit more on souls and godly politics than normal.

MdG

clonkertink

Planescape always interested me, but I know very little about it. So this sounds like a great time for me to jump in! Also, love the "ritually dead" schtick. Gonna go roll up a character right now.

clonkertink

Kesi

History: Kesi's whole life has been dedicated to the service Akhenisis. She remembers little of her childhood, only that she was born to a squalid little village, and that one of the Pharaoh's courtiers saw her talent for dance and brought her back to the palace, where she had the finest instructors in blade, dance, and song. For Kesi this was an act of salvation, and she has striven to perfect her personal gifts that she might better serve the living goddess. In recognition of her great skill and talent, Akhenisis awarded Kesi a tassel of golden silk, that remains the dancer's most treasured possession to this day.

While not—strictly speaking—a slave, Kesi views herself as a work of art for the glory of Akhenisis, and is artwork not a thing to be owned and admired? It is only right that she follow the Pharaoh into death, alongside all the other fine jewels and statuary. And if the Great Beyond is truly as wondrous as suggested, the transition from this world to the next may be just as wondrous as the transition from squalid village to opulent palace.

Tomb: Kesi desired a simple tomb, feeling she was not deserving of such finery. However, Akhenisis's instructions were quite clear - Kesi's tomb was to serve as a "fitting pedestal for such a masterpiece." As such, it was intended to be ornate, without distracting from the true work of art - Kesi herself. The walls are tastefully decorated with hieroglyphics of graceful dancers and ceremonial duels, while the sarcophagus rests upon a round dias that might serve as a stage. Indeed, several stone benches rim the chamber, where an audience might gather to watch her spirit dance.

Aspirations:

In the short term, I'm very interested in exploring Kesi's feelings now that she's adrift from her "Goddess". While she tries to present a stoic facade, internally she is reeling and she is desperate for guidance. This may be the first time she has been forced to really examine her relationship with the people around her, which veers frighteningly close to "selfishness" in her eyes.

That said, I'd also like to see Kesi make a friend. I don't know if she's actually had a really close friend up until this point.

Over the long term: I'd like to see Kesi come to terms with her own individuality, and possibly come to grips with whatever sparked her obsession with Akhenisis in the first place. She tends to dismiss her personal desires as selfish and wrong, which is probably due to some trauma she's locked away (and which I haven't really figured out yet).

Sexuality: Like a lot of things, Kesi has tried to push thoughts of her own sexuality aside for a long time. It's something she'll have to discover. She'll probably respond best to someone who is patient, persistent, and compassionate, though.

Let me know if I'm missing anything. This was a bit of a hazy, late-night brainstorm. I usually prefer to get a loose backstory out there and then flesh out the specifics collaboratively, rather than try to hammer out all the details only to find my character doesn't fit.

HopeFox

Senbu
Character sheet

Race and Class: Barbarian 3
Alignment: Lawful good
Ability Scores: STR 12, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 14, WIS 8, CHA 10
HP: 35
AC: 15
Saves: Str +3, Dex +2, Con +5, Int +2, Wis -1, Cha +0
Background: Vizier
Armour/Weapon Proficiencies: Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, History, Nature, Religion, Survival
Tool Proficiences: Calligrapher's supplies, lyre
Languages: Common, Kemetic, Celestial
Gear: Calligrapher's supplies, scroll of Thoth's teachings, vizier's cartouche, set of fine clothes, scimitar, handaxe (2), javelin (4), explorer's pack
Magic items: Enduring spellbook, lyre of illusions
Currency: 15 gp
Class features: Rage 3/long rest, unarmored defense, reckless attack, danger sense, ancestral protectors
Subclass options: Path of the Ancestral Guardian
Feats: Ritual Caster (wizard)
Rituals in book: Comprehend languages, find familiar
Familiar: His great-grandfather, Menenba, whom he has conjured from Duat to be his spirit guide in this life. He currently takes the form of a hawk.

History

Senbu was born on the outskirts of Atenkemet, to a tribe of wanderers who were faithful to the kingdom and its gods, but who were not meant for city life. They travelled between the capital and the most far-flung farms and outposts, doing their part to serve Atenkemet and the gods by protecting travellers and fighting monsters. Senbu's father Madu was the tribe's history keeper, who remembered all of the traditions and accomplishments of the tribe, and could recite them all on demand. He kept a book of ancestral lore, detailing not only the deeds of their ancestors but the prayers to invoke their power.

Senbu grew up following in his father's footsteps, learning all about his ancestors and the tribe's history, but his ambitions outgrew the confines of their tribe. He studied diligently at his father's feet, but when he had learned all the lore of his ancestors, he travelled to the city, longing to know more about the world and the gods. The city's ways were strange to him, and the confines of its streets and walls did not sit well with him, but the people of the city were a treasure trove of new stories and lore! He studied with the priests in the great temples, mingled with the citizens at all layers of society, and immersed himself in the history and customs of the great kingdom.

It did not take long for Senbu to come to the attention of the Pharaoh's court. His keen mind and his unique perspective on the lands of Atenkemet made him an ideal contributor to the academic and theological debates of the court, and his skill as a warrior and hunter made him an asset on journeys outside the city. His introduction to Pharaoh Akhenisis herself came when she made an expedition to a ruined temple that had been abandoned centuries ago due to monster attacks. Senbu performed admirably in driving off the monsters that lurked in the ruins and in cataloguing what the expedition found, and gained the Pharaoh's favour. She took him into her service as a historian and bodyguard, putting him to work on many more such expeditions.

When Senbu's father died, the book of ancestral lore fell to him, and he delved into its mysteries, learning to send his voice into the Duat to contact his ancestors and entreat their aid and guidance. While she lived, Akhenisis expressed the desire that Senbu and the book follow her into the afterlife, so that they might guide her to unite with her own ancestors. Senbu gladly pledged that he would serve Akhenisis in death as he had in life. He journeyed back to his tribe to teach the lore to a new apprentice, embracing the wandering life one last time, then returned to the city, to serve the Pharaoh in life, and then in death.

Aspirations, tomb and sexuality

Aspirations:
  • Short term: Meet interesting people! Learn their stories! Tell them stories of my people! Have sex with them!
  • Short term: Use my connection to my ancestors to be a spiritual guide, or help to bring about spiritual balance somewhere.
  • Long term: Discover truths about the afterlife.
Tomb: Senbu's tomb is a monument not only to him, but to his ancestors. The central chamber is filled with inscriptions and scrolls recording his life - his battles in the desert, his devotion to the gods, his service to the Pharaoh. Two adjoining chambers record the lives of his father and mother, and their ancestors before them. There are artifacts passed down from his family - jewellery, broken weapons from battles long ago, books and scrolls and stone tablets of lore that his ancestors found on their travels. A hidden nook in the central chamber records what is known about any children Senbu may have sired himself, and prayers that they grow strong and carry his stories while making their own.

Sexuality: Bisexual and xenophilic. Senbu loves meeting new people and learning about their cultures, and engaging with them sexually is often part of that. He has never hesitated to offer his body as payment for a scrap of lore, however fearsome or repugnant his teacher.

Alternative art if it turns out a female character would work better
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Dhi

Hent Ta Mehu
Human Horizon Walker Ranger 3
Neutral Good

Ability Scores
Str 11
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 14 (+2)
Cha 14 (+2)
Defenses
HP: 28
AC: 17
Saving Throws: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2

Skills
Athletics (+2)
Intimidate (+4)
Nature (+4)
Perception (+4)
Stealth (+4)
Survival (+4)
Languages
Kemetic
Common
Deep Speech
Proficiencies
Armor (Light, Medium)
Shields
Weapons (Simple, Martial)
Game of Senet
Vehicles (Land)

Features
Background: Initiate (Plane Shift: Amonkhet)
Spellcasting (Save DC 12, Attack +4)
Favored Enemy: Oozes
Favored Terrain: Desert
Fighting Style: Defense
Primeval Awareness
Archetype: Horizon Walker (Xanathar's Guide to Everything)
Detect Portal
Planar Warrior
Spells
1st: Cure Wounds, Hunter's Mark, Protection from Evil and Good, Speak with Animals

Equipment
Moontouched Khopesh (rapier)
Shortsword
Longbow
20 arrows
Breastplate
Simple puzzle box
Scroll containing the teachings of Kemetic gods
Game of senet
Common clothes
Clothes of mending
Belt pouch
15g
Explorer's Pack
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit
Tinderbox
10 Torches
10 Days' rations
Waterskin
50' Hemp rope

History:
Hent Ta Mehu was a handler of animals at the desert caravanserai. Life was rough in a tiny desert outpost where drunken gambling among the traders' men could often lead to theft or murder under veil of haboob. Although she had many admirers in the boys of the caravanserai, for all of their clumsy efforts Hent Ta Mehu's was a heart which could not be won. Ever her eyes roamed out over the horizon, ever her soul stirred with wanderlust. She was born a hunter of places undreamed, and the role of a wife appalled her.

One day, the caravan of a wealthy woman blew in unexpected with a queer turn of the weather. The woman's company was in dire shape, and could not continue yet refused to turn back. Out of all the professional desert guides available to see that caravan home, the wealthy woman picked Hent Ta Mehu to trust. Her first long range through the desert was a success witnessed by the gods themselves, and with skill and dedication Hent Ta Mehu led them safely off the traveled path all the way through the desert. Only later would Hent Ta Mehu learn that this woman had been the irreplaceable Akhenisis, and her heart ached.

For her faithful duty Hent Ta Mehu led many missions of secrecy thereafter, often in the company of trained soldiers but sometimes at the head of Akhenisis herself. Hent Ta Mehu loved her, and yet could bear no token of her lady's favor, could dare speak of her to no one. Ultimately, Akhenisis left the world of the living with these feelings undivulged. Hent Ta Mehu received a gift of a single perfumed scarf, and an invitation to lead one final journey beyond the veil, into the Duat.

Hent Ta Mehu needn't consider the offer for long.

Personality:
Ideal - Knowledge. Discovery careers Hent Ta Mehu onward through danger, and though the books of those who came before her may hold wisdom, true majesty lies yet undiscovered, and no amount of retreading the boot-tracks of old scholars will satisfy.
Bond - My (weapon) was a gift from a beloved trainer who died in an accident. Sentimentality grounds Hent Ta Mehu. Fewer of what she carries with her are supplies, and the majority are her keepsakes and memories, lending her strength, rallying with her into the great unknown.
Flaw - Training for a lifetime to die in the end seems like a big waste of energy. There is no rest, no sedentary paradise for Hent Ta Mehu. She does not accept her own ritual death, and her heart races with the possibilities of discoveries beyond the veil for decades yet to come.

Aspirations:
In the short term, Hent Ta Mehu is resolved to usher the Pharaoh and those who accompany her safely into the Duat and beyond.
In the short term, Hent Ta Mehu wishes to have her feelings for the Pharaoh satisfied, not necessarily physically or through words, but by actions and understanding.
In the long term, Hent Ta Mehu has been tasked as eternal guardian against foes such as Et Ozet (below) ever coming to Atenkemet again. She must understand the origin and nature of this foe, and how it might be destroyed.

Tomb:
Within a dwelling-sized puzzle box which must be solved along four axes lies the resting slab of Hent Ta Mehu. Blank moon gates filled with colorful mosaic tiles suggesting vistas unknown line each wall, and a domed ceiling fills with dedications to Kefnet, who opens the mind to places unknown. Beside Hent Ta Mehu's slab is an open moongate which leads to a deep, dark hole, the only access to a much more ancient tomb beneath.
The tomb beneath is prison to a living extraplanar ooze of truly horrific size, which came to Atenkemet some time before the meticulous recording of history. The creature, a harbinger of destruction, long ago grew sluggish from devouring desert sand and early settlements. When it became too polluted to move itself, the ancient builders erected a stone structure around its grotesque body, of which Hent Ta Mehu's tomb is only the cap. The creature, known as Et Ozet, possesses an utterly alien intelligence and bears no love at all for the people of Atenkemet.

Sexuality: It can be confusing, the care Hent Ta Mehu takes in her appearance as a warrior, like a tribal princess demanding to be wooed- but Hent Ta Mehu is a hunter, and she does the pursuing. There are easy prey, who keep her talents sharp and blood hot, and there are those hunts of obsession like Pharaoh, a lifelong pursuit for even the glimpse of her legendary quarry. In between, across the gamut of human interaction she goes flirtatious, testing what she can get away with, and following through in bird of prey swoop.