News:

Main Menu

Iron Man 2 Trailer

Started by Zeitgeist, December 24, 2009, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 29, 2009, 10:51:26 AM
Metal 'tentacles'.  Which could have been changed for the Movie.  It's not like it's the first time they've taken artistic license.

But that also means, it could be 'Backlash'.

Only thing is, Backlash was usually portrayed as a mob soldier, doing jobs for everyone else.  While Omega, while a former Russian operative, was also the type to take matters into his own hands, which would fit the clip better.

Unless, of course, they've confirmed that Mr. Whips IS Backlash...

It's confirmed:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-06-09-ironman2-rourke_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

They appear to be using Backlash's old name (Whiplash) and combining him with aspects of Ivan Vanko (the Crimson Dynamo), hence the Russian angle...

Mathim

Speaking of which, is the Red Skull German or Russian? I say this because I thought these movies were going to play the whole re-igniting the Cold War thing and when they make the Captain America movie, they might have him be more against the Soviets later than against a revived Nazi thing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Starkweather

Quote from: Mathim on December 29, 2009, 03:41:16 PM
Doubt they'll touch on that; I think it'll be tough enough to touch on Stark's alcoholism like they said they would. He is going to need to be clear-headed to take out his nemeses in this flick. Plus the reason WM went evil is because he was using IM's original armor and it screwed up his mind. Hopefully the third film will be all about some kind of World War Iron Man type of deal. I still hope we see some of the more low-tech Avengers in this, even if in name only (like Hank Pym and Wasp).
When you said "World War" I immediately thought of World War Hulk.

I'm like, "As much as I doubt it will ever happen, I would love to see Hulk vs. Hulkbuster in a movie." 

As for the Avengers, is there any word on a possible plot? Maybe something from Civil War? That would be great.
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.

Mathim

Well before they do an Avengers movie they need to make a movie introducing the big players in it. They already have Iron Man and they're obviously introducing Black Widow in the next one, and Captain America's movie is coming up in two years, and I think Thor's getting his own one close to that. Once they do that, I'd heard the Avengers movie is due to be released sometime in 2012 (coincidence?) so we can look forward to 2010 and 2011 being some kick-ass years for blockbuster films.

I'd also heard they're making an Ant-Man movie but that doesn't seem like a good idea, nor a Luke Cage or Shang Chi movie when they need to get this Avengers thing rolling already.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Starkweather

Kick ass, yes. Very good comic book films coming.

Don't forget the film adaptation of Bad-Ass, and the Sin City sequels.

(R.I.P. Brittany Murphy. D:)

I'm most excited about Sin City.

But, anyway, back on topic.

You mentioned that Stark's alchohol problem will come up in this film?
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

Mathim

They wanted it to, yes, but I just don't see how that is going to be possible with all the crazy crap going on. Unless during the fights he's totally buzzed and that causes them to be at a disadvantage. They might have to delay it til the third movie from the looks of things. Favreau did say that he wanted to make sure that whatever complaints people had about the first one (namely the lack of action compared to story, and the fact that the final battle was more of a beat-down than a proper fight) did not repeat in the second.

Starkweather

Coolbeans.

Although, Stark being drunk during a fight would be quite amusing, if not a bit sad.
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

consortium11

Quote from: Mathim on December 29, 2009, 03:45:12 PM
Speaking of which, is the Red Skull German or Russian? I say this because I thought these movies were going to play the whole re-igniting the Cold War thing and when they make the Captain America movie, they might have him be more against the Soviets later than against a revived Nazi thing.

As with all things related to comics continuity... it's complicated.

The first chronological Red Skull was a US Nazi agent...

The famous Red Skull was German.

When he was frozen in time a Russian communist took the role and was then killed

Then the "real" Red Skull was unfrozen from time and died again fighting Captain America.

He was resurected (again) before being killed by the Winter Soldier, ubt used the power of the cosmic cube to transfer his mind into another Soviet General's ody... before he was killed and the Red Skull's mind was transfered to a robot.

Oh, and now he may be Captain America...

So, in short, the Red Skull is generally a German Nazi... but also has been a Soviet.

Quote from: Yyrkoon on December 29, 2009, 03:50:42 PM
When you said "World War" I immediately thought of World War Hulk.

I'm like, "As much as I doubt it will ever happen, I would love to see Hulk vs. Hulkbuster in a movie." 

As for the Avengers, is there any word on a possible plot? Maybe something from Civil War? That would be great.

I'd hate to see Civil War in a movie. That crossover has to be the single biggest example of what was originally a great idea being absolutely ruined by terrible writing and plotting as well as heavy handed editorial (which had no consistancy). Considering how bad Civil War the comics were, trying to turn it into a movie would just make it worse... it's hard to do a superhero movie without a real badguy as a starting point...

No real news on the Avengers plot... but the writer said he's asing it on the Ultimates version and Norton said he'd like to be involved and would be fine with the Hulk as the bad guy... so it may well be an adaption of the first couple of arc's in the Ultimates. Possibly less alien invasion and more Hulk smash...

Personally I'd love to see either an update of Siege of Avenger's mansion or something with Kang... in truth Kang's one of the few villains who's pretty much an Avenger's exclusive.

Quote from: Yyrkoon on December 29, 2009, 03:57:30 PM
Kick ass, yes. Very good comic book films coming.

Don't forget the film adaptation of Bad-Ass, and the Sin City sequels.

(R.I.P. Brittany Murphy. D:)

I'm most excited about Sin City.

But, anyway, back on topic.

You mentioned that Stark's alchohol problem will come up in this film?

They've said it's not going to be Demon in the bottle... but that they're going to hint at it.

consortium11

Quote from: Yyrkoon on December 29, 2009, 04:11:14 PM
Coolbeans.

Although, Stark being drunk during a fight would be quite amusing, if not a bit sad.

During the end of Ultimates 2.0 (IIRC) Stark is piloting Iron man 1 (a huge flying airship), drunk off his mind shooting up the invading forces while drunkenly rambling. It's quite a cool scene.

Mathim

Not one of the big fights, I'm hoping. But maybe that's why he needs War Machine, to back him up while he fights off the double-vision.

I watched the trailer twice now, and I couldn't quite tell what exactly was chasing him through the sky and firing those laser blasts at him when all those cars were being blown up. Does anyone know what that was? I'm thinking it must have been one of those droids he and War Machine were teaming up on at the end, but I don't know for sure.

@ consortium:

Yeah, that kind of was what I thought. Probably in the beginning of the Cap movie they'll have Red Skull as a Nazi and then when he and Cap both wake up he'll be in Russian territory and see it advantageous to simply align himself with whoever there can serve his own means. Plus I know the Russians are also going to want to get their hands on the Hulk by then, so we've got our initial setup for the Avengers movie (besides, that's the premise for the animated Ultimates movies).

And yeah, it makes sense for them to tone down the drunkenness because that would detract from the film. Daredevil is Marvel's tragic hero, it has sucked immensely seeing Spiderman and the others trying to usurp that.

consortium11

Quote from: Mathim on December 29, 2009, 04:20:55 PM
Not one of the big fights, I'm hoping. But maybe that's why he needs War Machine, to back him up while he fights off the double-vision.

I watched the trailer twice now, and I couldn't quite tell what exactly was chasing him through the sky and firing those laser blasts at him when all those cars were being blown up. Does anyone know what that was? I'm thinking it must have been one of those droids he and War Machine were teaming up on at the end, but I don't know for sure.

@ consortium:

Yeah, that kind of was what I thought. Probably in the beginning of the Cap movie they'll have Red Skull as a Nazi and then when he and Cap both wake up he'll be in Russian territory and see it advantageous to simply align himself with whoever there can serve his own means. Plus I know the Russians are also going to want to get their hands on the Hulk by then, so we've got our initial setup for the Avengers movie (besides, that's the premise for the animated Ultimates movies).

And yeah, it makes sense for them to tone down the drunkenness because that would detract from the film. Daredevil is Marvel's tragic hero, it has sucked immensely seeing Spiderman and the others trying to usurp that.

I refuse to accept anything that has happened during or after One more Day to be true. The sooner that stuff gets retconned or just ignored (ala Sins Past... the Green Golin and Gwen Stacy having kids...) the better. Then again, I think most mainstream marvel stuff has been pretty bad from (and including) the Onslaught Saga to the present day. There's the odd ray of hope, then they destroy it again.

Starkweather

Civil War was bad, huh? This news makes me sad. 'Cuz I liked it. Well, I liked what I read. Didn't catch the whole event.

Drunken airship piloting sounds funny and horrifying, depending on which side of the chaos you're on.
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

Callie Del Noire

Some rumors I've heard (way off the pipeline) is that a few folks at Marvel are trying to get a 'clean slate' run up like DC did with their orginal Crisis.

I personally thought that Marvel had gone to the dogs. The first mistake was letting some of the loonier artists take control. (That and no continuity at all)

Brandon

Oddly enough I figured from the last film they were going to do an avengers movie yet there no word about a Captain america movie or anything like that. I have to wonder if they want to do one but just dont have a script yet
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Mathim

Continuity between the comics and movies isn't quite so important as long as the script is solid, in my opinion (though Spider-Man not having webshooters did piss me off), but inter-movie continuity IS important. It seems like the problem with Hulk, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Spider-Man/X-Men 3 and both Fantastic Four movies was the guys just not even trying to make a decent script. Luckily lately we've been getting improvement with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and Wolverine, but the majority of the films made have suffered because of lousy writing (even Heroes on TV has started to go down that route). You'd think that the common denominator in making these movies suck would have been discovered by now.

As for what movies they're going to be making/in the process of making, check out IMDB and look through Marvel Studios' bio, or type in the name of your favorite comic/hero and something should pop up. I mean, there WAS a Fantastic Four movie made before the last two (with Jessica Alba) were made. You'd be surprised what you can find.

consortium11

Quote from: Yyrkoon on December 29, 2009, 04:30:08 PM
Civil War was bad, huh? This news makes me sad. 'Cuz I liked it. Well, I liked what I read. Didn't catch the whole event.

Drunken airship piloting sounds funny and horrifying, depending on which side of the chaos you're on.

It's all a matter of opinion of course... for example I hate Identity Crisis yet one of my geeky friends (who's opinion I respect with regard to comics) thinks it's one of the best big events either of the big two have ever put out.

For me Civil War suffered because of a lack of editorial (there was nearly no consistancy between titles) and the fact that an interesting balanced premise turned into Stark and Reed becoming mustache twirling villains without any logical arguements put forth on their behalf. When Deadpool puts together the most coherent pro-reg arguement you know it's all gone wrong...

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 29, 2009, 04:31:50 PM
Some rumors I've heard (way off the pipeline) is that a few folks at Marvel are trying to get a 'clean slate' run up like DC did with their orginal Crisis.

I personally thought that Marvel had gone to the dogs. The first mistake was letting some of the loonier artists take control. (That and no continuity at all)

Quesada's apparent osession with having everything being just like it was when he was a kid and his own very personal biases about characters really suck. Then again, Rulk is one of their best selling titles... so the public likes what they're doing...

Marvel can come through from time to time... their cosmic stuff has generally been awesome, Incredile Hercules is pretty great and other stuff manages to slip through the cracks... the issue is the headline comics and characters generally suck right now and I have no confidence in their ability to pull off a good crossover. As a Doom fanboy I actually fear for the Doomwar crossover... despite the fact the Doom/Thor stuff recently hasn't been that ad (and only slightly OOC for how I see Doom)

There is a Captain America movie coming out, just so you know;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/

Mathim

That's what I said (about Cap) but I didn't know any details about it beyond it being scheduled for release in 2011.

They're also making a Jonah Hex movie starring Josh Brolin and Megan Fox, which I'm looking forward too. Hopefully they don't screw it up. I don't care that it follows the comics, I just want the story to be good.

Starkweather

Josh Brolin was a great choice for that movie. Or any movie. I love Josh Brolin, you guys.

Anyway, the recent Spider-Man super ret-con is the only comic book event that's ever truly pissed me off. 

On the subject of bad comic storylines.
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

Mathim

You mean the travesty of the Spiderman movie trilogy didn't upset you at all? >:(

They completely cut out Gwen Stacy from it when she should have had her debut and death within the first film. The second one could have easily featured both the lizard and doc ock together (according to another script I wrote) and the third one could have fit in either something with clones or the symbiote, but not three villains all at once. It was just a matter of priorities getting skewed. Iron Man, thanks to Favreau actually addressing fans' concerns about the first, is making sure the Iron Man franchise, at least, does not suffer that.

Anyone interested in seeing the next Hulk movie actually being a double act with him and She-Hulk?

Starkweather

She-Hulk? Really? When's that hitting theaters?

As for the Spider-Man trilogy, the only thing I have a real problem with is rumors that there will be Carnage in Spider-Man 4. 'Cause if he is in the film, I have no doubt that he will be severely flanderized.

(That is to say, watered-down.)
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

Callie Del Noire

Quesada is one of my least favorite folks at Marvel after his comment that Captain America (the Steve Rogers version) was 'Outdated and out of touch with the tempo of modern america."

A LOT OF MILITARY members I know disliked that comment. It was really hurtful that the guy who most symbolizes the core values of ANY branch of service was 'outdated and a relic'.

And Civil War felt like a really nasty shot at anyone who supported anything going on in the government at the time. I mean.. they made Tony Stark a fascist, and some of the other members of the Illuminati were way out of character (Doctor Strange came off as an idiot in some speeches)

Brandon

The first Spider man was ok because it was an honest retelling of the story (although the lack of webshooters annoyed me). Its the second and third that were at best questionable. I think the problem here is the directors. Most of them seem like they arent sure what to do with these super hero movies outside of fight scenes and lots of explosions. Well except for the guy who directed Dark Knight (his name escapes me at this moment) that was an amazing movie
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Mathim

I wonder what Cap would have been like if they'd actually gotten a soldier who was already a beefcake to volunteer for the super-soldier experiment?

And I haven't heard anything about She-Hulk but since Hulk is kind of on eggshells with people, I thought putting less focus on him in the future and having a female protagonist in there would help his box office success.

As for Spidey 4, I heard the Lizard was the planned antagonist for that one, though I don't doubt they're going to try and include two. One enemy just doesn't keep the tempo up enough, and as we've seen, three is TOO much and detracts from the story.

And Cap is SUPPOSED to be outdated, he was from the 40's and got frozen for decades, right? That didn't stop him being the leader of the Avengers, though, did it? And who gives a crap about what the military members think? Most of us hate what they're doing all over the world right now, right?

Mathim

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2009, 05:05:15 PM
Well except for the guy who directed Dark Knight (his name escapes me at this moment) that was an amazing movie

Chris Nolan. Both brothers directed the last one I think, Batman Begins.

Transgirlenstein

I've heard (from reliable sources) that Captain America starts shooting this summer at Pinewood Studios.  I believe Thor is as well, or not too long after Cap.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0