News:

Main Menu

Routers?

Started by Cosmo_ac, April 08, 2007, 03:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo_ac

I'm just curious but does anybody know much about routers?  I don't have a direct line connection to my lap top, but it has a built in router reciever, and several people in the housing complex around where i currently live are in range and using unsecured routers.  This basically means i can use those routers to get online.  But i have to ask, are their any things i should be concerned about?  Like do i have to worry about using personal information, ie credit card numbers, e-mail addresses, etc, while using somebody elses router, or am i safe?

King_Furby

i would imagine it would be pretty safe but not totally sure.

Arander

I realize this is a little late in posting, but I figured I'd give you some information in case you were still curious.

You really have nothing to worry about outside of the normal safeguards you take when accessing the internet. Using someone else's router is no different than using your own that you may have set up at home. The only difference is you can use theirs for free. Is this legal? Well technically no as you are not paying for this service. Can you get caught? Pretty unlikely. Unless you did something illegal and authorities traced IP addresses, the chances are very, very slim. Should the people be smacked for not securing their routers? I'd say so. It takes all of 3 minutes to set up a password to secure your router from anyone but you and those you choose from using it. The way I see it, if they are going to have a router broadcasting an open connection to the internet, then they better expect everyone around is going to use it.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's

Lilian

Just make sure that the name of your computer isnt explicit to exactly who you are, as that's what the admin will see if they actually check which computers are using the router.

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Rhapsody

It would be illegal to hack into an encrypted network to piggyback off their connection; unsecured networks are pretty much free for the taking. Unscrupulous? Maybe.  Illegal? Not so much.

We used to piggyback off our friend's network when we couldn't afford our bill, but he used our router to do it and had full upfront knowledge that we were using his connection.  Hell, it was his idea. :)
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.