News:

Main Menu

Mass Effect

Started by Destiny Ascension, September 16, 2008, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destiny Ascension

So yeah, I've heard and saw a few people saying they liked Mass Effect, and I'm a huge fan, recent but still pretty involved. I would have played the 360 version, but I just don't have the money to support a Ps3, PC and 360 usage, with cash for XBL all together. But none the less, I've read both books, and I've played the game more often than is healthy for a person my age, but I still love it.

Obviously, if nobody knows what Mass Effect is, its a true RPG-Shooter. Many games claim to be RPG-Shooters, but theres never really been a mix between a good action/shooter game and a RPG. Its either one or the other, but never both. Mass Effect does a great job of mixing both environments, but still maintaining that certain, special advantage above all other games in both classes. Its not the best shooter, but likely the best RPG I've played in a while, yet still ranks high on this FPS-lovers list.

So for favorites, its hard to make a list, since theres so much to love, but so much to be picky about, its hard to figure out what I love most. On one hand the story is SO much deeper than your standard RPG, and theres no shooter in history that can even try to compared its story to Mass Effect(COD4 was good, but still insanely lacking and dry, though the gameplay made up for it).

So, point is, favorite parts of Mass Effect, what do you think will happen in the next book/game, and what do you hope to change.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

magnamos

I hope, I really really hope that you will be able to pick a race in the next Mass Effect. I'm totally into Asari. I think they're the coolest Species in the Mass Effect Universe. Besides that they got the strongest Biotic abilities in the known universe. I just love Biotic Abilities. Biotic Abilities are cool. Asari are cool too. Biotic Abilities of an Asari that you could actually play are cool beyond comparison.

Canuckian

There is one vital question I have for both of you:

Ashley or Liara?

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Canuckian on September 16, 2008, 12:56:32 PM
Ashley or Liara?

BOTH!

But yeah, I choose Liara more than Ashley. Ashley reminds me too much of myself(the whole...attitude thing), plus its funny how the dialogue with Liara is kinda funny, where as with Ashley its more, outright flirting, mixed with the whole "On duty, fraternization" thing going on.

And ID LOVE to choose an additional race. Definitely the asari, besides the mad biotic abilities and whole 1000 year long life span, they are just plain awesome. But unfortunately, I'd highly doubt that we'll ever get too choose a race, seeing as Shepard and the Alliance are obviously going to be the main focus in the games, but seeing that Mass Effect is getting SUCH amazing reviews and product sales, not to mention insane attention, I wouldn't put it out of idea that there could be an MMO, though typically MMO's from other genre's suck most of the time, I can see them possibly expanding the range.

Personally, I think the 2nd game will be all about the Migrant Fleet, seeing as the 2nd book, its noted the quarians are interested in finding the Reapers, to try and figure out a way to nab a few ships, or even find a way to control the Geth so they can go back to their original home worlds. Its obvious Shepard would be highly interested, but on the same page, I can't see how hanging with the quarians in deep space would have any connection to previous choices. They already said choices in the first game would affect the 2nd game, so I'm still running in circles about that. All I want is...

FemShep + Ashley.

:D
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Canuckian

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on September 16, 2008, 12:56:53 PM
BOTH!

Were that only possible... ;)

I've been thinking of trying to get an ME game started here, but I dunno how that'd work out.

magnamos

Quote from: Canuckian on September 16, 2008, 12:56:32 PM
There is one vital question I have for both of you:

Ashley or Liara?

Liara!!!

Ashley is some racist Bitch. I took the first chance to let her racists ass blow up with the bomb to nuke the secret lab.

Talk to her. Every second sentence is like "There are Aliens on board. Aliens are dangerous, I don't want Aliens around"... really. If I have to missuse my position as a commander to keep one under control who would else take a gun and shoot everyone with no red blood on the whole freaking ship there is definetly something wrong!
The Navigator (forgot his name) is the same! I hope he meets some Krogans in a Dark Alley while rambbling on about his racists crap. The Normandy is a Human-Tourian-Ship! Alien HAVE to be on Board!

Destiny Ascension

I think it'd be cool, but finding a storyline that doesn't completely disreguard the actual story is REALLY hard since the first game left nearly no clues as to the intent of the 2nd game, and the 2nd book has hints, but can't be directly associated with the 2nd game. So its difficult to think, but I DO have to admit, role playing as an asari would be kinda fun.

And Ashley isn't racist shes...species...ist....That sounded better in my head. :(

magnamos

It doesn't matter what you call her mental sickness. She's not "compatbile" with the rest of my crew. Honestly determining:I would exchange her even for an Elcor if I could! (<- please note that this sentence become 40% more funnier if you read it with an emotionless voice)

ZK

From my understanding, you play as new characters and not Shepperd, but what you did in the first game does in fact alter the storyline of the second.

Basically how KoTOR I and II was, you didn't play as the same character, but what you did in the first affected the storyline in the second.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Canuckian

Yeah.  The only way I could think of an ME game would be to play around the plot of the first game.  Sorta fill-in-the-blanks type.

And you're so, so wrong.  Ashley, FTW!

Actually, I read that we'd be able to continue on with our original Shephard character and continue the story.

Destiny Ascension

WHAT!?

BETTER NOT BE!

I spend 30 hours playing the game OVER AND OVER to get the full Colossus Armor set for everyone. I damn well better get my FemShep back next time, or...I'll...quietly complain while I play the 2nd game. DAMN YOU BIOWARE FOR DOING IT RIGHT!

and EA for not completely messing it up...

Also, I didn't know you wouldn't be playing a new character, from what I understood, you'd be playing Shepard again(since Shepard does get mentioned a few times in the 2nd book, though only at the beginning) but maybe I misunderstood what has been released. All I can hope for now, is a Q2 or early Q3 release, though its already been said that Mass Effect will not be on PC until a while after the 360 version, so I guess I'll have to leave the internet for a while until it comes out. XD HOPEFULLY not an insane wait like the first one.

Canuckian

*quietly hugs his still-working 360*

ZK

I'm just going on by what I heard from my ex-manager at a press conference.  For example, EA wants Bioware to extend the original trilogy into a never-ending series... yes.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Canuckian

I heard that as well.  Like, right after EA took over BioWare.  As long as they wrap up the original story in that first trilogy, they can make as many games as they'd like :)

Destiny Ascension

I wouldn't mind seeing it go past a trilogy, but not to the point that they would be grabbing story ideas out of the air, for the sake of keeping it going. Its just like MGS4. I loved it, I wish it would have been much much longer, and I wish it could keep going, but at some point you just have to let a title go down in history at its prime, and leave it be. If they made a MGS5, I'd probably not be happy, but thats not the point.

Then again, I guess problems requiring the assitance of the best Humanity has to offer, spread out across an entire galaxy, could be quite common. XD

THEM CRAZY HANAR!

Mass Effect 11: The Hanar Revolt
Staring: The asari child Shepard and Liara had in the 2nd Mass Effect Game!

ZK

Feh, I prefer Tali if I needed a female character. She was such a turn-on to me in so many ways. ^.^

Canuckian

Concerned response: That does not seem like a plausable game idea.

Canuckian

Quote from: ZK on September 16, 2008, 01:29:59 PM
Feh, I prefer Tali if I needed a female character. She was such a turn-on to me in so many ways. ^.^

Yeah, a lot of people were upset she wasn't romanceable.  I could handle my ManShep gettin' it on with Ash and Tali. I just didn't like Liara that much.

Destiny Ascension

Or better yet...we could ride the Elcor...TO WAR!

Codex says they can have machine guns like on the Mako on their back...ELCOR CAVALARY! Take that Bear Cavalry!

I think Tali is pretty sexy, but I really can't choose before I know what she looks like. From what I can tell, she looks as though she has somewhat smaller eyes than a typical human, but most people have an idea that the quarians look a lot like humans. I've even heard ideas that the quarians are actually ancestors of humanity, but just more(or previously, however you wanna look it at) advanced.

Canuckian

I think that's part of her charm, that people never actually see her.

Destiny Ascension

...and shes....

NINJA!
* Destiny Ascension sings the ninja song.

Seriously, shes skinny as heck, she could very well be ninja.

ZK

I don't care what she looks like, her personality, attitude and BRAIN is the biggest turn-on for me. ^.^

Canuckian

Quote from: ZK on September 16, 2008, 01:55:30 PM
I don't care what she looks like, her personality, attitude and BRAIN is the biggest turn-on for me. ^.^

This is true.  She's awesome.  Much better than Garrius.  But Ashley is still superior to all :)

ZK

I hate Ashley. But then again, I'm anti-human. Bring on the aliens! >.>

Canuckian

Quote from: ZK on September 16, 2008, 01:58:15 PM
I hate Ashley. But then again, I'm anti-human. Bring on the aliens! >.>

So I guess if that makes me ManShep, you'd be Tali and DA would be Liara? :D