[Dragonsong] High Fantasy Adventure - Dragons & Riders - (Closed)

Started by Wispyr, July 05, 2016, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiyanna

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 07, 2016, 07:22:31 PM
Beat me to it

I don't think so. I'm using her her in Pandemonium, and they are most definitely not the same chick.

When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Lithium

Quote from: Aiyanna on July 07, 2016, 07:23:39 PM
I don't think so. I'm using her her in Pandemonium, and they are most definitely not the same chick.

Mhmm, the power of photography and photo editing! It's 100% her. :P

Aiyanna

Quote from: Lithium on July 07, 2016, 07:40:12 PM
Mhmm, the power of photography and photo editing! It's 100% her. :P

I still don't see it, but whatevs. She still works.
Ideas
O/o's

Thorne

Some more information on powers - what kinds, how they work, some examples? - would be useful. I have some basic ideas, but a lot of Dakiiri's abilities are mundane in nature, at least originally.
I suppose one could say her ability to avoid hangovers would count, although I suspect that's got more to do with experience.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

la dame en noir

Quote from: Aiyanna on July 07, 2016, 07:43:02 PM
I still don't see it, but whatevs. She still works.
Its just the lighting lol. Its the same woman.

Here's the photoshoot X
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lindrea

Quote from: Thorne on July 07, 2016, 07:43:54 PM
Some more information on powers - what kinds, how they work, some examples? - would be useful. I have some basic ideas, but a lot of Dakiiri's abilities are mundane in nature, at least originally.
I suppose one could say her ability to avoid hangovers would count, although I suspect that's got more to do with experience.

I second this.  I'm working on powers now and would like to know what constitues each category and some examples as well. :)

Aiyanna

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 07, 2016, 07:44:05 PM
Its just the lighting lol. Its the same woman.

Here's the photoshoot X

Yeah...nope. The two images just aren't clicking in my head, haha. You're obviously right, I just can't make it fit.
Ideas
O/o's

la dame en noir

Quote from: Aiyanna on July 07, 2016, 07:50:57 PM
Yeah...nope. The two images just aren't clicking in my head, haha. You're obviously right, I just can't make it fit.

You're so funny lol
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Aiyanna

Ideas
O/o's

AribethAmkiir

Lindrea

Wispyr

Quote from: Thorne on July 07, 2016, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: Lindrea on July 07, 2016, 07:44:47 PM
I second this.  I'm working on powers now and would like to know what constitues each category and some examples as well. :)
This should be coming soon. Elysian and I working on polishing up the sheet; once that's done we'll be able to put the powers for our characters on paper, which should be good examples for people to sort of base off of - beyond that though we're open to more specific questions.

In general you should think that your spells should look like a specific effect; to sort of take one idea and amp it up to each level just for some early perspective might look like:

Spark (Cantrip) - Basically lets the cast turn their finger into a match. They could light a fire without difficulty.
Combustion (Minor) - A small targeted area erupts in searing flames, inflicting damage and igniting anything flammable.
Fireball (Major) - Hurl a small ball of fire a medium distance, that explodes into a vast field of fire inflicting damage to anything caught within its radius.
Meteor Swarm (Supreme) - Conjure four massive globes of flame that descend on a specified locations and incinerate things in their path.
Inferno (Ultimate) - Unleash a blazing wave of hell on earth; a massive blast of flame that erupts from you and incinerates everything in a large area around you.

These are just examples sort of following general power escalation between the tiers of similar themed powers. This is a great time to place emphasis on something though:

Disclaimer: This will not turn into battle of the all power gods. If you're interest is playing the most powerful mage to ever walk Aelsia, you will be disappointed when your ideas are rejected. We're allowing characters freedom and as many spells as we are because we don't have a system, we want you to add to the world, and we did not want to get involved with massive spell lists; that said this is where the number one problem in free form games crops up. It is important that every writer show restraint in creation and, in some cases, use of powers. There will be no world ending spells, you can't manipulate the cosmos. A character can know as many or as few cantrips and use them as much as they want. A character should be able to freely within reason make use of their minor powers. Major powers should represent a meaningful drain on the character - this does not mean 2 majors and you're toast, but the bulk of actions should be minor that are supplemented by major use. Next up are Supreme powers are powers that should have significant drain on a character and used very tactically. Finally you have Ultimate powers which are, of course, meant to be your big bad ass move, and we're okay with that; however they should come at meaningful cost to the character - what that is we leave up to the players, but we will be monitoring this closely. It should go without saying that the point is for everyone to have a good time, and everyone to be able to contribute. So one character who can do everything just isn't going to fly by. Throughout game play you can pretty much rest assured that this will be - when it matters, of course - the most heavily watched aspect of the game and will be addressed in situations where abuse seems to crop up.

I know there are some reservations about powers, lack of system, balance and all of that... I share them on a lot of levels, which is why I can promise that I take this part of the game very seriously. Not everyone is familiar with my GMing, however there are a number here who have played (do play) in some of my other free form games, and I'm confident that they will all vouch that I'm fair not only about power use and outcomes, as well as keeping things from getting out of control... But also making sure that every character has the opportunity to be in the spot light at some point.

Emmykins

I'mma make a dargon to pair with Dominique, and maybe a second character depending on how I'm keeping up on posts and/or if someone else pokes me.

Lindrea

Thank you Wispyr!  That was actually exactly what I was looking for. :)  I appreciate it immensely!  So, these powers are "Spells" of sorts, yeah?  So, a mage would only know the spells given to them by their race?  But we can have as many cantrips as we please?

Just making sure I'm clear on these points. ^.^

Also, I'll be pairing with AribethAmkiir.  I will be the Rider and she will be the Dragon. :D

Wispyr

Quote from: Emmykins on July 07, 2016, 08:43:41 PM
I'mma make a dargon to pair with Dominique, and maybe a second character depending on how I'm keeping up on posts and/or if someone else pokes me.
Woot! Though... Only 1. We do have that limit in place this time around :P

Quote from: Lindrea on July 07, 2016, 08:45:01 PM
Also, I'll be pairing with AribethAmkiir.  I will be the Rider and she will be the Dragon. :D
Excellent!

Quote from: Lindrea on July 07, 2016, 08:45:01 PM
Thank you Wispyr!  That was actually exactly what I was looking for. :)  I appreciate it immensely!  So, these powers are "Spells" of sorts, yeah?  So, a mage would only know the spells given to them by their race?  But we can have as many cantrips as we please?
You're very welcome. As to cantrips, yes, as many as you want. Cantrips are, basically "I do little things with magic".

Washing your clothes, is a cantrip. Lighting a campfire is a cantrip. Creating little smoke shapes is a cantrip. Entertaining a child with multi-colored sparkles is a cantrip. Stuff like that.

The powers are indeed spells of sorts - basically if you were to open a D&D spell list, any single spell there could be a power. They are very specific effects, not hyper-broad controls / multi effects. A fireball is a fireball is a fireball - it does not melt metal, though multiples of them might. If you wanted a spell that melted swords, that would be a spell. As for racial teaching, yes this does happen - though magic is very personal and has to do with a persons connection to the Aethyr; so in many cases individuals who are gifted enough to learn magic in the first place (note, magic use is NOT universal) often develop spells that fit who they are themselves... But they can, in theory, be taught. A spell is just manipulating the Aethyr in a very particular way, and you can teach someone that - though it's more common to teach someone how to manipulate the Aethyr in general and let them develop their own magics.

AribethAmkiir

Does that mean that characters can learn more "spells"/powers as the game goes?

Lindrea

Okay, so a mage could actually have more powers than is listed for character creation, then?  But they would have to be taught or figured out through their own unique way of tapping into the Aethyr?

So we're not limited by the initial selection then.  Awesome! :D  So, I'm guessing the characters made will basically be "starting level" and then grow from there?

Also, as a mage specifically, does that entitle someone to more powers at start or just an easier time learning new ones?  Or is that entirely wrong?

Wispyr

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on July 07, 2016, 08:55:48 PM
Does that mean that characters can learn more "spells"/powers as the game goes?
In theory, yes. How we tackle that is something still being worked on, but it will likely be situational / story relevant.

Quote from: Lindrea on July 07, 2016, 08:57:54 PM
Okay, so a mage could actually have more powers than is listed for character creation, then?  But they would have to be taught or figured out through their own unique way of tapping into the Aethyr?
Characters will only list their Minor/Major/Supreme/Ultimate spells - there's no need to keep track of cantrips. A 'mage' would be someone who specializes in the 'Aethyr' stat, making their magic more powerful, not necessarily knowing more spells.

That said we will allow spell level trade downs. This will allow you to facilitate the more "I learned many things, instead of bigger things" type of mage. However we won't allow for trade ups.
If you had a Supreme level spell you didn't want you could trade it down and get 1 Major + 1 Minor spell, or 3 Minors.
If you gave up a Major level spell you could get 2 Minor level spells.

So we're not limited by the initial selection then.  Awesome! :D  So, I'm guessing the characters made will basically be "starting level" and then grow from there?
If we were to put a very rough scale on the characters as they are; if we evaluated the world on a scale of "level 1" to "level 20", all of the characters involved at creation are roughly "level 9". As for the limited initially bit... Only via creation. Obtaining new spells and what not throughout the game is a theme we plan to touch on, but will be something that's likely developed over time.

Also, as a mage specifically, does that entitle someone to more powers at start or just an easier time learning new ones?  Or is that entirely wrong?
As above, but for clarity, not innately, no. Being a 'mage' is someone who focuses on their mastery of the Aethyr - this makes them more powerful then people who have not (represented by a high Aethyr score) which is taken into account by GM(s) when determining outcomes of effects. If you wanted more then the starting list of powers you could trade down to give them a more 'well learned' vibe - but the total overall level of powers remains the same.

For clarity on total overall level of powers; be it dragon, elf or human all characters have 10 spell levels (bonuses from being a rider not included)
Minor = 1
Major = 2
Supreme = 3

We're okay with those spell levels breaking down (not going up), so long as the overall total remains at 10 - and you can not trade off Rider Bonus powers.

Lindrea

Thank you so much!  This makes things much clearer.  Time to get working on my fire mage!

Also, is there a particular format you would like characters written up in?  I don't think I saw one through the thread.

Wispyr

Quote from: Lindrea on July 07, 2016, 09:15:11 PM
Thank you so much!  This makes things much clearer.  Time to get working on my fire mage!

Also, is there a particular format you would like characters written up in?  I don't think I saw one through the thread.
Absolutely, glad to help. ^^

Hold off on writing anything beyond your general idea at this point. We haven't released the character sheet yet - coming soon - because we want to determine exactly how many bodies we're bringing along for this and make some back end choices. Which I think we're going to do here... very soon. So... Feel free to ship us a general idea, and hold off on the detailed chiseling of the things until we give a go ahead for everyone.

Stygia

Ah hell. Dragons are my weakness. Count me and Cerevan in for a Dragon and Rider pairing.

Lindrea

Quote from: Wispyr on July 07, 2016, 09:17:42 PM
Absolutely, glad to help. ^^

Hold off on writing anything beyond your general idea at this point. We haven't released the character sheet yet - coming soon - because we want to determine exactly how many bodies we're bringing along for this and make some back end choices. Which I think we're going to do here... very soon. So... Feel free to ship us a general idea, and hold off on the detailed chiseling of the things until we give a go ahead for everyone.

Awesome!  AribethAmkiir and I will hash out our stuff and get some general details in. :)

Thank you so much, Wispyr! <3

Wispyr

GM Announcement
Due to the immense interest in the game (thank you!) we are going to close recruitment for now. Anyone who has currently showed interest has been recorded and we're going to start looking at what we have to work with, determine how many we're going to be able to accommodate and make whatever back end calls we need to for now. After that we should be good to release character sheets and what not.

Interested Player List

Wispyr (GM)
Elysian (GM)

Arcannyx
Amarlo
la dame en noir
Lithium
Daemon0110
Arreis
Undine
Evangelina
Flower
Cerevan
Amelita
Alcandre
Aiyanna
Aribeth
Lindrea
Emmykins
Dominique
Aida Rose
Skyre
Relikai
Thorne
VioletPanda
Stygia

We'll follow up with another one of these soon (tonight or tomorrow) with more information. In the mean time those listed, feel free to continue letting things brew and asking questions we can help you out with.

Thorne

... Grease would still count as a 'minor' power ...? (one of the nastiest 'minor' spells in any mage's repertoire, even if it does not create a combustible slick).

These spells.. powers.. whatever.. aren't limited to specific lists, though?
For example, a character with an academy background might learn different spells than someone who was taught via a less structured school; an herb witch, druid or whatever, but there is no real limit on what kinds of spells they can learn?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups