News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mutants & Masterminds 2e

Started by MasterMischief, April 19, 2015, 06:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

I love that idea. 

You've got titanic mega monsters, but you've also got normal rival superheroes. 

For a plot like this I'd enjoy PL 12, but maybe award some power points without awarding power level. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kolbrandr

I was looking for something more broad range for concepts and a bit more, how to say it, supers-ish, there's nothing wrong with more narrow thematics for having the one source of powers and all that, just not really my own bag. Descendants of minions/minions of a god who just got some powers slapped on them is also not really where my headspace goes when I think powerful supers being all proactive and such. It's not a bad idea, just not my own thing.

With that noted, I would suggest to definitely consider something like awarding more power points per level than the standard 15, it allows for people to be more broad/creative without getting into optimization and point hacking to a heavy degree. I would otherwise say that 14 for pl is more where you might want to go for rocking across the world stuff (I'm not likely to be playing and all, just offering some input from some previously attempted high powered campaigns I've been in).

Pumpkin Seeds

eternaldarkness

Two positive votes. Great!

Remember, that's just my idea, and I'm willing to entertain others if anybody has something that seems like it'd be more fun. Power Level-wise I'm thinking start at 10 with 180 pp and then gain 10-15 pp from each mission thread and maybe 5 for side stories. I'll raise campaign power level when you guys give a majority vote for a PL increase. The players know best when it's time to raise it to the next level.

MasterMischief

That sounds appropriately epic and dibs on the mischief maker because it's already in my freakin' name.  Did you have a particular pantheon in mind like say the gods of Olympus, or were you going to create a new one?  Would we all be avatars of one god or would each of us represent a different diety?  Maybe every god that was ever dreamt up is/was real and its ultimate death match time!  I could represent Coyote or Loki...or...or...

Being an adult forum, I would love some sexy fun times in between saving the world from utter destruction.  Also, I love delving into characters' personal relationships.  After all, heroes get the feels too.

As for Power Level, I am thinking somewhere between PL 15 up to possibly PL 20.  Obviously the gods themselves will be PL X.  At this level, would you consider all sorts of crazy Variable Arrays?

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 20, 2015, 09:52:06 PM
I thought I was having your llama babies!?  :: cries::

Don't worry dear, I have enough seed for all.   ;)

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: MasterMischief on June 21, 2015, 08:20:27 AM
That sounds appropriately epic and dibs on the mischief maker because it's already in my freakin' name.  Did you have a particular pantheon in mind like say the gods of Olympus, or were you going to create a new one?  Would we all be avatars of one god or would each of us represent a different diety?  Maybe every god that was ever dreamt up is/was real and its ultimate death match time!  I could represent Coyote or Loki...or...or...

I'm thinking it might be cool to be avatars of human mythologies taking on something Lovecraftian gods. Even less benevolent deities would stand up to giant freakin' monsters out to make humanity dead or insane. Perhaps the power of the human gods is tied to the belief of mortals. While not nearly as powerful as they were when they were worshiped, the fact they've become part of the general culture sustains them. So if humanity is decimated, their own existence is threatened. So they use what power they have left to buff up some folks. This would also explain how our heroes rise in PL... as they battle to save the world, people find out about them and realize these "myths" are more than just naked pictures nerdy teenagers stare at. This stronger belief boost the powers of the avatars.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 21, 2015, 04:42:59 AM
Two positive votes. Great!

Remember, that's just my idea, and I'm willing to entertain others if anybody has something that seems like it'd be more fun. Power Level-wise I'm thinking start at 10 with 180 pp and then gain 10-15 pp from each mission thread and maybe 5 for side stories. I'll raise campaign power level when you guys give a majority vote for a PL increase. The players know best when it's time to raise it to the next level.

Bear in mind that pbp can go really slowly. Starting at 10 means that people will be at 10 for a long time.

Pumpkin Seeds

I have a water nymph character that I love who might fit in nicely.

Muse

*Grins*  I remember her!  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MasterMischief

I did not see the second page when I replied.  Sorry about that.

I like the idea of being an avatar and I can certainly work with PL 10/PP 180.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Foxy Oni on June 21, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
I'm thinking it might be cool to be avatars of human mythologies taking on something Lovecraftian gods. Even less benevolent deities would stand up to giant freakin' monsters out to make humanity dead or insane. Perhaps the power of the human gods is tied to the belief of mortals. While not nearly as powerful as they were when they were worshiped, the fact they've become part of the general culture sustains them. So if humanity is decimated, their own existence is threatened. So they use what power they have left to buff up some folks. This would also explain how our heroes rise in PL... as they battle to save the world, people find out about them and realize these "myths" are more than just naked pictures nerdy teenagers stare at. This stronger belief boost the powers of the avatars.

This is kinda like what i had in mind, but slightly different. I wanted to go with a smaller number of very primal and in some cases cthuloid gods that are not at all like those from human mythology, although a lot of human myths would be based on them or their minions. I did intend for each player to spend some downtime building a cult, and eventually join the ranks of the gods themselves if they're ambitious.

But as i said, it depends on what you player type people want. I was looking to do a supers setting with a bit more of a horror bent.

Quote from: Kolbrandr on June 21, 2015, 11:11:10 AM
Bear in mind that pbp can go really slowly. Starting at 10 means that people will be at 10 for a long time.

No, no it doesn't. Read what i said in my earlier post about it not taking a long time.

Ephiral

My thought: I'm not sure how keen I am on the PCs being chosen agents of specific easily recognizable gods (more distant, less-comprehensible powers like it seems eternaldarkness is thinking sound okay), but I like the idea of fulfilling certain overarching archetypes that crop up in human mythology - the trickster, the warrior, the sage, etc. That ties us into the overarching ideas, but gives us room to develop our own spin on a theme. I'm for more hands-off patrons, as a rule - I think the heroes should shine more or less in their own right, and not just because they happen to be an agent of something bigger, even if their powers ultimately derive from that something.

Foxy DeVille

Well, the character idea I've had batting around my head is based on Korean mythology, which is something you don't see too often in pop culture. But I could adapt her to have a different origin.

Callie Del Noire

I'd like to build an avatar of someone like Artemis..an archer .:D

Pumpkin Seeds

I think Ephiral, that would actually make a good character concept to explore.  Maybe as we are delving into our powers granted by some outside being, yours is exploring the idea that their power is more from within or perhaps is not tied to the Gods at all.  Sort of reminds me of the atheist knight in the Dresden Files or at least the concept as I don't think Butcher explores the idea well enough.

Ephiral

Oooh, I like that angle, Pumpkin Seeds. Would be totally cool with running with that. Thanks!

Pumpkin Seeds

Glad to help.  Now to find my water nymph.

Muse

I think we made her in third edition, Pumpkin. 

eternaldarkness

You guys are giving great feedback and plenty of ideas to work with and make an amazing game. Now a question: I'm playing with the idea of making a means by which characters acquire their powers technologically, but the powers themselves would remain mystical in a sense. I want room for character origins that are not strictly 'a God said you get powers', such as people with natural/inherited abilities.

I'm thinking that superhuman abilities aren't new, so much as rare and not widely known (at first). Alongside the natural powers would be people who willingly do a particular deitys bidding, and those who steal the power with technology.

What do you guys think?

Ephiral

I'm in favour, personally. Kinda love my tech-based heroes.

MasterMischief

I have no problem with that although I do not think I would go that particular route with my character.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 24, 2015, 02:57:43 AM
You guys are giving great feedback and plenty of ideas to work with and make an amazing game. Now a question: I'm playing with the idea of making a means by which characters acquire their powers technologically, but the powers themselves would remain mystical in a sense. I want room for character origins that are not strictly 'a God said you get powers', such as people with natural/inherited abilities.

I'm thinking that superhuman abilities aren't new, so much as rare and not widely known (at first). Alongside the natural powers would be people who willingly do a particular deitys bidding, and those who steal the power with technology.

What do you guys think?

I was already thinking of an origin for my character where it would appear she got her powers via technological mishap but it was actually the doing of a goddess.

I like the idea of people who stole power. It might be cool to explore the social ramifications of having physical evidence of the existence of gods. Some contemporary religions might not be too thrilled, some people may see it as a chance to become immortal. You mentioned cults in an earlier post... characters could react differently to the hero worship they get. Some not too comfortable with it, others willing to exploit it.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Foxy Oni on June 24, 2015, 10:10:34 AM
I was already thinking of an origin for my character where it would appear she got her powers via technological mishap but it was actually the doing of a goddess.

I like the idea of people who stole power. It might be cool to explore the social ramifications of having physical evidence of the existence of gods. Some contemporary religions might not be too thrilled, some people may see it as a chance to become immortal. You mentioned cults in an earlier post... characters could react differently to the hero worship they get. Some not too comfortable with it, others willing to exploit it.

We're on the same page there. People would lose their fucking minds if concrete evidence of divine entities that were not the ones they worship (or maybe they actually are) was discovered, especially when people see that their prayers are actually being answered.

The story conflict will of course come from the things people will do to placate the gods. But I won't spoil it.

MasterMischief

But...why does god need a space ship?   ???

Muse

*Grins* 

I like the option of there being some advanced tech aroud too. 

Something i always liked about spider man whas that the webs came from bracers he invinted.