Age of Adventure Redux ...on Roll20.Net?

Started by Inerrant Lust, September 02, 2013, 12:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

QuoteAre you tired of living in fear that maybe that HOUSECAT is going to slit your throat while you sleep?
Are you tired of earning one silver piece a day doing unskilled labor while all the cool people go out on ADVENTURES?
Do you want to go out and earn THOUSANDS OF GOLD PIECES for HALF A DAY'S WORK?
Do you want to slay DRAGONS, bed foreign maidens, and plunder ancient dungeons?

If you said YES to any of these questions, you are eligible to be taken on contract in a local adventurer's guild TODAY. For just 10 insignifigant gold pieces each, Rygar & Morvald Adventuring Guild Agency will set you up with a client and a sponsor to begin adventuring THE VERY NEXT DAY. Parties in excess of three members get a 2 gold discount!

The age of peril has long passed. The goodly races no longer fear invasion from the drow or orcs. There is no danger of any villages being destroyed by fearsome dragons. Most of the perils of the world today are only dangerous when one seeks them out. Heroes and adventurers, once the only thing keeping the world from complete destruction, have now become a mere novelty. Adventuring has become nothing more than a sport, an industry unto itself.

Most adventurers have a sponsor, who pays for the expenses of their quests for publicity and endorsement and occasionally a cut of any profits made from the adventure. Usually, one takes a quest from a client, often a powerful nobleman- though it could be anyone willing to pay. Some quests are for personal gain to the client, others are to rid the world of a menace, but most are simply for amusement. These quests are almost always recorded magically through a scrying, so that these heroes could be cheered on and rooted for as they adventure.

Millions of gold pieces are exchanged every day in this industry. Those nobles who hold public broadcasts will often sell advertising rights to businesses during these adventures, others bet and gamble on the result. Merchandising has become an industry of itself- with dress-me dolls of famous female adventurers and adventure figures made of famous male adventurers. Sometimes the most arbitrary challenges are thrown into the quest, once a half-giant fighter was offered the chance to double her cash reward if she could complete her quest in nothing but a loin cloth and a chainmail bikini. She accepted, slaying the otyugh cluster and winning the hearts of all who witnessed her wardrobe malfunction in real time.

Unfortunately for most spectators, Blackwood's Familial Consideration Commission (FCC) levied harsh fines against the heroine, her sponsor and her client, as well as restricting future challenges for family-friendly programming to 'Gear of an armor category of no less than light cannot be wagered, unless magically enchanted for the sake of modesty.'

Important Notice!!! This game will be a combination of forum posting and Roll20.Net (http://roll20.net/) because I would like to test it out with a short little campaign before I do anything crazy with it. It's a free-to-use browser-based tabletop, complete with a maptool, initiative tool, character sheet, tracker, ect. All it requires is you sign up (you can change your display name later if you're worried about using real names) and I will shoot you a link to the game I'm GMing. While designed for the GM and all the players to be online at once and skyping or somesuch, all information is saved throughout sessions... meaning even if you're the only one online, you can take some actions on your turn and the next time we check it your actions will be shown. You may have to leave notes on the chatlogs for me to change things like HP, though...

For the most part, I intend to use that site for complex things like combat or exploring. Everything else will be on this forum as normal. No point in using a tabletop for sexiness and such.

Teh Rules!

Looking for 3-4 players, preferably at least 2 females. Level 5! Though I lean towards 3.5 or pathfinder, 4e can be done too if requested. After all, I want to flex this website's combat capabilities and 4e is tactical enough! Let me know what you prefer.

Rough setting info;

Goblins, Orcs, Hobgoblins, and sometimes Gnolls can be seen mingling with the people of other races, though they are fairly uncommon. This is due to the the Theocratic Union of Peoples Under One, a large nation on the fringe of the human kingdoms that has since assimilated into the ways of more civilized folk.

The southern kingdoms resemble an amalgam of asian cultures, and half-elves are common there. Somewhat poorer than neighboring cultures, but with an extreme wealth gap between the rich and poor.

Aeune is the de facto capital of the world. It is the economic center of the world, being the main proprietor of the adventuring industry. It is not a city but a fleet of airships constantly in motion- only the wealthiest in the world live there, either former adventurers or prestigious families.

Dwarves tend to live in the northern mountains and are generally wary of the adventuring industry. Elves live in the south-middle island chain between the Union and the rest of the human kingdoms. Halflings still enjoy a nomadic lifestyle, but are disproportionately common as adventurers.

ShadowFox89

I'd be interested, either Pathfinder or 4e. My only problem with Pathfinder is caster supremacy.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MzHyde

This sounds really fun. Shame I don't know any systems.

Inerrant Lust

While D&D 3.5/pathfinder can be a bit... cumbersome to pick up for new players, D&D 4e is considerably more streamlined.

It's also considerably more tactical based, which is a pain for forum games... but should be easily rectified using Roll20.net which is designed for that sort of thing.

Laughing Hyena

I am so in! I have missed this game and had a blast with how short it was.

Inerrant Lust

I am sad that it ended rather unceremoniously after, what, a year and a half? :P

Still, I think it's better to do a series of short adventures for groups rather than the one large storyline you guys were involved in. ::)

Laughing Hyena

Im good for that or whatever. Either way Im all for it. ^_^

ShadowFox89

Of course, I would like to suggest Legend too.... :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

So is there a preference for 4e or 3.5e?

Also, the three adventure options!

You receive the following quest offers from your agent...

QuoteSeeking Adventurers!
Some goblin farmers reported seeing a large bird carry off a bison off at the fringe of the Wild Lands. An Aeunic nobleman wants this mighty beasted felled so he can have it stuffed and mounted for all to see. Track down this mighty bird of prey and kill it! Make sure not to damage the body too badly... But beware, this great bird has been the talk of the town around some circles, and you may not be the only one hunting it.

QuoteSeeking Adventurers!
Across the sea to the south is the untamed New World. Previous adventurers have all come back with tales of ancient jungle pyramids and strange and exotic beasts. More than tales, they've come back with priceless relics, gold, and other treasures. A merchant-lord from the southern kingdoms is willing to fund an exploratory quest. If this quest gets enough exposure and viewers to recoup his losses, you're entitled to any of the loot you find.

QuoteSeeking Adventures!
The High Priestess of a major city in the Theocratic Union has been robbed by a mysterious thief. He snuck past all her paladins, stealing away into her carriage and making off with her jewelry. He also kissed her without permission, a crime punishable by flogging. Rumor has it that there is a growing thieves guild in the city and this was meant as some grandiose display of their power. The High Priestess wants this man taken alive and has agreed to allow the entire investigation to be scried for a possible broadcast later.

Laughing Hyena

Nostalgia makes me pick 2 but I love a classic so 1 it is! Oh and I prefer 3.5 edition.

Inerrant Lust

Okay, character creation rules!

Level 5;
22 Point Buy!
Any player race (Dragonborn, Eladrin, and Tieflings aren't exactly lore-friendly...)
Some races from the monster manual, (Lore-friendly; Gnoll, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orc)
Any class (Most clerics and paladins would be the goblinoid races above, the rest of the world is largely secular)
Any skills, feats, powers, ect.

Starting Equipment: 3,480 gold.

New Armor Enchantment;
Glamerous
A unique product of Adventuring- armor enchanted to maintain the wearer's protection while also eschewing... aesthetically undesirable components, allowing the user to reveal more skin or incorporate inefficient designs without sacrificing protection. Rather fittingly, this enchantment draws upon the wearer's own showmanship- suiting exactly the sort of adventurers who would run around in such ridiculous outfits to begin with.
Lvl 1: +1,  360 gp
Lvl 6: +2, 1,800 gp
Armor: Any heavy armor
Enhancement: AC
Property: For every step in enchantment, this item reduces the armor bonus of the item by 2, the check and speed penalty by 1, and the weight by half. In exchange, you receive a bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (Whichever is lower.)
Power (At-will): Minor Action. You may convert the AC bonus granted from your charisma into a Reflex, Fortitude, or Will defense bonus for the rest of the encounter.

Shjade

Two things:

1 - I'm guessing everyone in the thread's working together on the same adventure, yes? Not split up among the three listings?

2 - Is there a suggested reference for 4e for people unfamiliar with it, or does not knowing the game mean this probably isn't a good one to get involved in?

Edit: just linking my character sheet in this post so that it's on the first page of the thread and thereby easy to find without needing to look through all the posts.

Sara Chance
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ShadowFox89

If you have AIM or Steam, I can help you put a character together.

I'm going to go with a Wild Sorcerer myself. Area damage primarily.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Could use some help if this is going to seriously be 4e.

ShadowFox89

Well, at level 5 you get:

1 level 6 item
1 level 5 item
1 level 4 item
1,000 gp to spend on other items
+1 to two stats
3 feats, 2 at-will, 2-encounter, 2-daily, and 1-utility power.

For building your character, I suggest checking out the WotC CharOp. Not to minmax, but to build a character that's going to hit reliably.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Well I could really use some freaking guidance from an actual srd similar to what 3e and pathfinder.

ShadowFox89

What books for 4e do you have?

Same offer as offered to Shjade, if you have AIM or Steam I'll help how I can.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

My AIM is shadowfox89, send me a message and I'll help you out.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

Oh, wait, sorry, wrong one >.<

turalisj89 is my AIM. Sorry.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 09, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
Well, at level 5 you get:

1 level 6 item
1 level 5 item
1 level 4 item
1,000 gp to spend on other items
+1 to two stats
3 feats, 2 at-will, 2-encounter, 2-daily, and 1-utility power.

For building your character, I suggest checking out the WotC CharOp. Not to minmax, but to build a character that's going to hit reliably.

Minor change; 3,480 gold instead of the 3 items and excess.

ShadowFox89

Well, both Shjade and Hyena seem to prefer 3.P, and I'd prefer Legend or 3.P >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A