Modified post can't retain image coding?

Started by steelsmiter, February 10, 2016, 06:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

Hey guys, I'm getting a bug where I go to modify a post with images in it, and click the Toggle View button, all the code relating to the images is gone. Why does this happen?
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Ariel

Can you post your code here so we can see what it looks like? It could be an issue with the code tags.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

steelsmiter

Quote from: Ariel on February 10, 2016, 07:37:59 PM
Can you post your code here so we can see what it looks like? It could be an issue with the code tags.
Nope. It's in one of my OO posts that has pictures. The pictures and everything pops up as is, but when I click Toggle view, the picture codes go away. I don't want to risk affecting the code in any way because I have lost pictures from posts because of this error.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

The Dark Raven

Quote from: steelsmiter on February 10, 2016, 08:09:13 PM
Nope. It's in one of my OO posts that has pictures. The pictures and everything pops up as is, but when I click Toggle view, the picture codes go away. I don't want to risk affecting the code in any way because I have lost pictures from posts because of this error.

If you are using the html toggler, it may not show the BBCode shortcuts?

I know when I work on code, I use google docs and work up the whole post in there with the help of another tab being open to a blank reply to grab the code I want.  Then I paste everything into the posting window and hit preview to make sure it does what I want it to do before I send it.  Everything is always saved in a word processor first, though.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

steelsmiter

Quote from: The Dark Raven on February 10, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
If you are using the html toggler, it may not show the BBCode shortcuts?

I know when I work on code, I use google docs and work up the whole post in there with the help of another tab being open to a blank reply to grab the code I want.  Then I paste everything into the posting window and hit preview to make sure it does what I want it to do before I send it.  Everything is always saved in a word processor first, though.

I start the post.I click the final button on the second row of buttons above the reply/post box where I'm supposed to enter text. I get all the code in square brackets. I add a link to a picture. I select the link and click the button with the little picture of the Mona Lisa. The appropriate square bracketed code shows up. I click the float left or float right as needed. The appropriate square bracketted code shows up. Modify site's default (aforementioned image code) code generated by pressing the buttons code with padding=10 and width=300. Preview. everything works correctly. I  I click post. Everything posts correctly, but the arrangement is annoying (you could probably find out which post it is on my OOs with just that alone), so I go in to put filler text. Pictures, colored text, etc shows up as expected

then I click that same button mentioned here 
QuoteI click the final button on the second row of buttons above the reply/post box where I'm supposed to enter text. I get all the code in square brackets.
the one with the pointer in the red brackets that allows me to see all the square bracketted coding.

Except I don't get the picture's code. I get all the other code, but not the picture's code.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

The Dark Raven

I just looked at your OO and cannot find which one is out of place.  :/

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

steelsmiter

This one, spoilered for NSFW
when modifying the post, clicking the button that changes all the bold text to bracketed bold code text surrounding names, should also change the images to links with image formatting brackets around them as well, but they disappear instead.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

The Dark Raven

That may be your problem.  Bold is working fine, but I have never had an image be both a viewable image and a url.  Is that what you are trying to do?  Make the pic a clicky link (so you see the pic but it is also a link)?

(I have seen this done, but I can't remember if i saw it here.  If that is what you are looking for, I will do some digging to see if i can find it.)

steelsmiter

Quote from: The Dark Raven on February 10, 2016, 08:57:00 PM
That may be your problem.  Bold is working fine
It is. I never said it wasn't.

Quotebut I have never had an image be both a viewable image and a url.
Me neither. Usually the button turns the image into a viewable url within the post modification space, but it's currently making the image, and what would be the viewable URL disappear.

QuoteIs that what you are trying to do?  Make the pic a clicky link (so you see the pic but it is also a link)?
I am trying to modify the post without having the code disappear when I click the button to show the code.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

The Dark Raven

I guess that is my question.  I am unsure as to what you mean by a viewable url.  I've not heard that term before.

I did find the thing I was thinking of, which I will link below (in case it is the thing you are looking for how to do).

It is this thread.  The last post at the bottom shows how to make an image a clickable link that follows to an intended url.

steelsmiter

Quote from: The Dark Raven on February 10, 2016, 09:04:58 PM
I guess that is my question.  I am unsure as to what you mean by a viewable url.
You said viewable image. I misplaced the word viewable in my response.

Nevermind that. Point is, when you post an image, you post a URL and click the button that tags it as an image (the one that looks like the Mona Lisa below Bold). It then shows up in the post as an image. Fine.

If you don't like something about the post layout, and you go back to click modify, you get a post that doesn't have any code in it. You have how the code was implemented. So then you click the last button on the second row that has the red brackets with the pointer to see all the code... except you (or in this case I) don't. Everything you (I) did when you clicked the Mona Lisa is gone. When you (I) click preview it's gone. Bold code shows up fine, font sizes, font colors codes etc shows up fine float left and float right codes show up fine. [img padding=10 width=300]hypothetical-img.url[/img]
does not show up on the modify/reply window at all.
if you didn't change any padding or width and just left it with
[img]hypothetical-img.url[/img]
it still disappears.

If you save it without the image encoding, you lose the images.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

The Dark Raven

I understand better now, and I can honestly say that I am as puzzled as you.  I have never had that happen before (and I am notorious for tweaking and prodding posts with my own images in them to get them "just so").

:(

Cynadea

I did a test. I went into your O&O and hit "Quote" which gives me access to the code of your post without risk of messing it up. I removed the quote tags, hit "preview" and it was identical to your post. I use the "toggle view" button  (last button of the second row, the one with red brackets), hit "preview" again and your images were gone. So I've managed to reproduce your problem, and also point a finger at the guilty party.

SMF's WYSIWYG is known to be buggy in both its forms,  whether you set it in your profile or use the "toggle view" button. I suggest that you stay away from the toggle view  and use the "preview" button at the bottom of the reply screen whenever you are working on you O&O. That one won't mess up your code.

I hope that helps. :)

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

steelsmiter

Quote from: Aysande on February 23, 2016, 10:11:38 PM
I hope that helps. :)
Unfortunately, the only way it could possibly help is if the default view was in code, and the picture code was there every step of the way.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os